FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Ettiquette at the Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ettiquette at the Games
    Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:10pm

This is the start of my second year and I am learning much.  There should be a resource out there for beginners instead of watching someone walk face first into a speeding bus.

For example I have learned that when you finish a throw you must always exit out the back instead of over the trig...

Set the hand end of the caber down do not drop it even if it only be a few inches above the ground...

After your attempt with the caber, do not single handedly pick it up, return it to the next athlete and stand it up to him...

What else have you got?  Remember we mean no offense.

"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 1:45pm
After throwing the WOB or Sheaf get it and set it at the standards for the next competitor.
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:06pm
Do NOT sit at the scorekeepers table and BS with your friends. People are trying to make sure that all competitors get their correct scores (and, thereby, the right prizes!)  Take that sh somewhere else!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:35pm
Wait a minute!  They give prizes?!
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 2:38pm
Rookies pay at the beer tent.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 3:37pm

update carlos! rookies pay and FETCH from the beer tent, we dont walk, rookies bring!

please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Jason Cherry Jason Cherry wrote:

Wait a minute!  They give prizes?!

lf you go to a better quality Games!!     And you start finishing higher up on the list. 
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 5:42pm
Never ever put a lit cigarette or a beer on the trig during your throw, if they
get knocked off you could start a grass fire or worse spill your beer, That
stuff is best done out of the throwing area.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 12:31am
Besides being a thrower at a games, your an entertainer at
a family event....
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
DarlinMACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 12:38am

If you borrow someone else's fork.. respect it..

Do NOT stick the tines in the ground, and keep your eyes on it at all times.

Live, Love and Leave YOUR Mark!

"Kate Grammer"
pound4pnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pound4pnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 2:05am

It is considered polite not to hit the lady from the audience who is flirting with you, in the face with the 16lb sheaf. 

However, if you do make such a social miscue, it is always considered polite to sit with your arm around said lady meanwhile the EMT's check to see if she still has a pulse.  It is however, acceptable if her girlfriend meanwhile takes photos of you.  They will most likely be necessary for the lawsuit against the games!

houseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 3:35am

No whining!

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 3:36am
if you get "yatzee" on your very first role, the game is over and you win!!!
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 4:00am
Don't sit there all by yourself listening to your Ipod rather than hanging with the rest of the guys. You'll look like a douche.

babyfire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 4:52am
Take time to say thank you to the people standing cabers for you, retrieving weights, the scorekeepers, AD's, judges, etc.  Work done by them allows you to have an enjoyable day and should not go unrecognized.
Dean Curtis
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 4:54am

-Take your turn shagging -listen to the older and more experienced guys-- don't worry about the guys that act like jerks because they won't be around that long--honestly give a crap about how others are doing--honestly support them--lend your fork, tape, tacky etc freely--talk to the crowd and answer whatever questions they have--do NOT take yourself or your skill level all that seriously--have fun and remember how lucky we are to get to do this.

feefiefofeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feefiefofeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 4:58am
My two cents:

Dont blame a poor throw on the the implement itself. Or, more
specifically, "too much tacky" on the implement. You threw, not the
tack. It goes to good sportsmanship. :)

Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond all reason the opinions of others.
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 5:03am
Originally posted by =Travis= =Travis= wrote:

Don't sit there all by yourself listening to your Ipod rather than hanging with the rest of the guys. You'll look like a douche.

Second.

Don't argue w/ your judge.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 5:24am
Gasoline is NOT! an ingredient in tacky.
McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 6:03am
1) Don't call me Pickles in the middle of my throw. After or before is fine. (if you are a hot redheaded woman though, you can call me any name you want at any time.)
2) Share the tack
3) Joke with the audience, be nice to the kiddies and help the AD put on a good show. The audience doesn't care about your ego. They are there to see a show.
4) Don't juice. Highland Games is a hobby.
5) Run a game yourself before complaining about any AD.
6) Never take throwing advice from me. I suck.
N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 6:44am
Originally posted by =Travis= =Travis= wrote:

I do agree with this. But, I bet it was a T&F guy that you see do this 99% of the time, and you gotta remember where we come from.  In T&F anybody from another school is "on something", slept with your mama, and kicked your dog, so you wouldn't want to talk to them too much.  I never got into the ipod thing, but it did take me about 2-3 games to get use to the different atmosphere at Games, and start talking to other guys and what not.  Yes it looks douchey, but give a couple games before his is an official douche bag.

Other things i would add:

-yelling/grunting adds 5'
-its ok to talk to your fork

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 6:46am

Originally posted by feefiefofeather feefiefofeather wrote:

My two cents:

Dont blame a poor throw on the the implement itself. Or, more
specifically, "too much tacky" on the implement. You threw, not the
tack. It goes to good sportsmanship. :)

Put the Tacky on you.. not the implement..(with the exception of the hammers)...  Not Everyone uses tacky.. and it's not nice to remove the skin from your competitors hands. (Not everyone wears gloves).. And not everyone uses tacky..

Also.. some people are allergic to chalk.. so again.. if you can put it on YOU.. and not the implement.. (it's just nicer).

It's not a requirement.. It's just thoughtful.

"Kate Grammer"
toddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 7:07am
It is generally considered bad to hit the judge or AD with
an implement.
Todd McDougal
jimc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 7:51am

From a judge's perspective...

If you didn't like the call, ask for clarification on why the foul was called and most judges will be happy to explain it to you so you can avoid it in the future.  Arguing about whether your foot was out or not is not going to get the judge to change it.  It is what it is.

Avoid the passive aggressive move of standing 60 feet away loudly telling whoever will listen how the judge screwed you out of money/placement/medals.  I sympathize, but your foot was out, not mine.  If you are a new thrower at a new game, the judges, AD's, etc are formulating opinions about you.  This will not help.

Try not to hit the backjudge with the caber.  Even if it is the women's caber. 

Warn the judges if you have yet to properly pick a caber. 

Know how long you have for lunch and be back on time. 

Not sure about all games, but I have yet to see any new throwers ask for advice and not get it.  Most veteran throwers are more than happy to go on and on and on about their technique and training.  This is usually followed by other's chiming in with differing opinions and advice.  It's one of the joys of the sport.  Soak up all the available info and see what works for you. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 7:57am
Originally posted by jimc jimc wrote:

Try not to hit the backjudge with the caber.  Even if it is the women's caber. 

LMAO!.. I didn't hit you with it.. I threw it at you..  Because I knew you could take it.. ( I still owe you a cigar).

"Kate Grammer"
West View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 11:00am

Another thing.  It is true that those judges and ADs and all the folks are forming opinions about you when you are out there on the field.  If you want the ADs and judges to think well of you, try thanking them for their work.

There is also alot of behind the scenes work that goes on to make every game and competition happen, for the crowds and athletes alike!!!!!

I know you're tired when the day is done, but occasionally, try to hang around after a competition and help clean up trash and load all weights and the like back up.  the judges are tired too.

Drink to the fame of it, honor the name of it, The Tartan.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 11:36am
Don't wolf whistle when someone bends over to pick the caber
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 11:59am
Along the line of McSanta's post...DO NOT go regimental !!!
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

Don't wolf whistle when someone bends over to pick the caber

Depends on how good she looks

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by West West wrote:

the judges are tired too.

Minor correction:  in all likelihood, the judges are more tired than you are.  They've spent the whole day running their butts off for the benefit of other people, rather than conserving their energy to maximize their performance in their throws.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic