FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Adam Brezina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/14 at 10:07am
Happy belated Birthday Adam...

For your birthday I sent you spell-check.
The man in the arena.
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 7:48am
Wed morning
18# shot drills

Wed night lifting
Dl- up to 500x3
Strict press - 185x6x3, 205x5x2

Th throwing
very tired and not explosive from lifting yesterday
bs- pushing hips abd opening faster
os- same, got better height abd distance
lh- getting radius bigger, avg 128 longest 131
Skinny guy trying to get big

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 7:49am
Uh oh he spelled something wrong
KILL HIM!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 8:01am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:05am
I didn't know society had reached such great technological advancements.   Oh the power I now possess.

Duncan, you are going down in the spelling bee now
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:36am
Power?

Why Adam, whatever do you mean?

Maybe caber's just not your game Breeze.

I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 7:46pm
Your on
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:20pm
You're on...as well.
The man in the arena.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/14 at 5:46am
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 3:44pm
Friday gym
hang clean- up to 12853
Back rows and pull downs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 3:48pm
Sat gym
snatches speed- up to 185x3
Close grip bench
Upright rows

Sat throws
hw- tech on distance not there bc tired
wob- big pulls
hh- tech on distance lack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 3:53pm
I sacrificed distances in practice this week but concentrated on technique. I feel like although body was tired my technique was on. Going back to normal schedule to see if it is productive to train on exhaustion
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by adambrezina adambrezina wrote:

Friday gym
hang clean- up to 12853
Back rows and pull downs

With a clean like that I would think you could snatch more......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 11:17pm
Lol apparently auto correct got me
285x3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:47pm
Mon gym
Sq- up to 605, inch high over parallel. Need to feel compete with getting this. Going to a closer stance for a while to strengthen legs
db bench - up to 150x6

Tuesday throwing
os- up to 46 working on technique, using legs abd getting more alteration with my head up
lw- up to 72. Couldn't get speed I wanted but working on getting left down faster. Speeding up implement
hh way tired, Couldn't get speed I usually get. 95+

Wed gym
pp- up to 315x2
Straight leg dl- up to 500x1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/14 at 8:40pm
Field

Hw -38
Lw-73
Os-47
Hh-101 working on long arms and speed
lh- 131 working on long on right side

Training
245 snatch
feeling strong just tired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 3:35pm
Lifts ate going well. Trying to keep up my strength up but going to be training speed more from here on out. Don't feel as explosive add I usually do.

Cactus Celtic backyard yesterday

Great turnout, great competition
Bs- 37+
Os- 45+
Hw-37+
Lw- 68+
Hh- 102+
Lh- 125+
Caber - small stick, kept it simple
Wob- 15. Good attempts
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 10:19pm
Nice job- you can do better though

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 8:16am
I know my stones and weights were horrible. I still have 5+ feet on each hammer. And need to hit 16'6 consistently. Also worked on some sheaf technique I want to try out. Shawn are you going to any games this year? Costa mesa?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:03pm
Back in the gym

Sq- up to 590x2 then speed with 225
Bb incline-275x2 then speed with 135

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 11:18pm
Trying to incorporate more speed to my throws and lifting. Other than a whole speed cycle, how can I corporate velocity and speed into my training with still training heavy an trying to get stronger
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:23am
I was just looking at the last two pages of your training log, and here is what I see:

1. 600lb squat
2. 400lb bench
3. 580+lb deadlift
4. 300lb push press
5. dumbbell work most would envy
6. solid Oly lifts

You are STRONG bud! How much stronger do you feel you need to be? Its nearly May which means the big games are about 3 months away. Plan accordingly for that.

If you feel like a slug, its because of all the heavy stuff your grinding on. So run 5 weeks speed followed by 5 weeks strength, then get through the big games with more speed. I'm using training lab talk(I know you have it).

This is what I would do, but that's just me. Others may have different ideas, but I'm just telling you what has worked for me. I wish I had your base to work with. Working on it
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:46am
You can't get stronger during the season unless:

a)  You don't care how far you throw

b)  You only compete a few times

Many of us have often lamented over our potential strength if we could have lifted with that as a goal, year round, for our entire careers.  I know I, for one, would have been much stronger than I ever was/am.  No one can serve two masters though.   
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 8:25am
Usually the attempt at that leads to less than optimal results for both plus injury just to round it out.

If you straight up suck, you can probably just get stronger and throw further by sheer horsepower. Once you're at your level, Adam, time to realize the difference between the gym strength and the throws strength.

It's early season. Throws strength is a comin.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:08am
Adam,I'll probably just throw in Albuquerque and at Masters worlds this year, my focus has switched a bit to try to break some indoor rowing world records for the present (worth ethic and pain tolerance mostly)

I'd say 2-3 days a week in the gym- some fast stuff, throw things- med balls etc.. And get out and throw throw throw
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 1:34pm
Adam, you're gonna get a ton of varying advice, for sure.  Take what works best for you, sir, and what I have to say may not be of any help.  

I train for strength year round.  I don't truly taper off my weights until it gets into August, or late July, right before Pleasanton.  But, even then, I'm programming my lifts so the games coincide with down time, the best I can.  I'll get to that in a sec.

You are strong.  You are very strong.  I'd say your speed is perfectly fine, but looking back through your log, you may be due for a week off from the weight room.  Sit down, pull up a calendar, and take a bird's eye look at your training and your upcoming games.  For me, I did that with the Arnold, I had to.  I set my programming to "peak" for the Arnold while not sacrificing strength.  Meaning, I programmed it so the week of the Arnold was my "off" or "deload" week.  I felt fresh, rested and strong.  

Too many times we try to fit our throwing into our lifting calendars-- this is wrong.  Build your program based on when you want to be at your best for a games.  Since we can't truly program out 4+ months for Pleasanton, or whichever  games, break it up into a few smaller cycles and mold your "down" or "recovery" weeks around those games.  You'll be fresher for your comp., while not jacking up your strength program for later in the season.

Again, take this for what its worth, which isn't much.  Just my thoughts.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 2:15pm
Adam,

Don't do what Dan says...clearly it's NOT working for him.  Squat heavy every week until Pleasanton, then do a rep max the night before.  Probably should do one the night before Minnesota as well...just to be sure.

Trust me.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 11:08pm
Thank you guys very much for all the advice. I decided to do a speed month abd feel it is working. I am doing a lot with bands and explosive lifts in the gym. I dont feel as lethargic and quicker on my feet. Throws are improving abd feel like I am not going 100% yet. I will keep you guys posted on improvements. Thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/14 at 10:29pm
Finishing up my speed month I feel great.   Not sore as much. Feel explosive when throwing. Strength is still up. I have Costa mesa this weekend abd a nice month and a half off. I will take that time to prep for Scotland. Need to get used to these circles and shots abd no gloves.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 8:38am
yawn
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic