Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Myles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/11 at 8:29am
Just PVC roll and mobility stretch this weekend.  My back and legs are real stiff.  I got to have dinner with Craig, KO, Mike Shea and Matt Vincent Friday night.  Was fun.  Mike and I have not gotten to see each other in a long time, was great to spend time.  Great guys and a few of the top throwers in the world.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/11 at 7:03pm
Last week did not go as planned.  I hate the German volume, I just can't get enough blood through me to feel decent. 

I tried to switch to 5x5, but moving the weight up on the front crushed into the defibulator.  So I changed to back squat.  Did the 5x5 with just 225 to feel it and then did 5x10 on some extensions.  Just was not into it. 

For upper body I went to 5 x 5 with 230 on incline.  Felt pretty good, went up and hit 240 x 1, 250 x1 and 260 x 1 after that.  Some front plate raise with the 45 plate for 2 sets of 20.  Concentration curls and some push downs and I was out.  Just lame week.

Started tonight with 5 x 5 with 315.  First set I tried to just pump them out.  My feet are always numb, but at rep 4 it started coming up the legs.  By rep 5 it was over the knee.  So the next set I just took a real good breath in between each rep and that seemed to really help.  Twanged the back on the first set of these when pumping the weight and it bothered me the next 4 sets, but nothing I could not handle.  Then did some one leg curls for 3 sets to failure and a couple sets of 20 on the extension.  Trying to really keep getting some blood through the legs for the quad tendon and all.  I enjoyed this workout more. 

Listened to SRV Voodo Chile

Came home to some Salmon on the grille, did some Flaxseed oil, CLA, Niacin, multi, ALA, and a lot of branched chain aminos.  Chocolate milk of course. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 12:28am
Went in for a YMCA session last night and it felt good.  Listened to more SRV on the way there and got my head right. 

Did some interval training on bike to warm me up, this felt good.  My feet have been real numb lately, so efforting to do more in this area.  I then did 2 sets of 20 on TKE, the left knee is talking.  Then went and did some cuff work to maintain. 

Was going to do 5x5 incline and move up to 240 this week.  I knew it had only been 5 days since my last incline, and knew that could be a problem, but what ever. 

First set was harder than I expected, but got the 5. No way could I do another, so I went down to 225 and completed the 5 sets.  I then started to work my way back up.  When I went to 245 I realized I had miss loaded the first set and had done 250 for 5.  Guess my head was right.  So I then did 245 for 4 more, and went up to 275 for a double.

Super set of side laterals slow with front plate raise real slow, 25's in each hand and a 45 pound plate.  Got about 10 with each and did this 3 times.  Shoulder smoke. 

Wide grip pushdowns, 3 sets to failure.  Like the wide grip as it hits my outer head real good.  Concentration curls 3 sets and then a couple sets of strict standing alternating. 

I then did some jump rope.  I was thinking about Mark the pirate of Ohio Valenti while I did the jump rope.  Because I did them Louie Simmons style, about 3 reps at a time.  I looked like Rocky real early in II.  You know, lumbering along and getting all tangled up.  But I am gong to try and learn to do this.  Hard with my feet numb, but I will do it.  I got a total of 25 jumps and it took a little and I was breathing like a freight train. 

Came home for some salmon on the grille.  Cheryl put that over some rice for me and it was delish. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 2:11am
Solid workout Myles! That Incline is moving right along!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:00am
Thanks brother Jay

Last night was pork chops with the gravy over rice and some field peas.  A true southern meal.  Sweet tea of course.  Then laid there until the series was over and had my supps with some choc milk.  A solid night for sure. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/11 at 1:42am
Went in last night and started with cardio, did 10 min of brisk bike.  My legs were feeling all cramped while doing it.  Then did a lot of static stretching after.  Onto some TKE, 2 sets of 20, then some cuff work.  Did some face pulls and some lock outs on the dip bar to put some blood in the tri's.  Then did a couple sets of 20 with the bar reverse curls to put some blood in the forearm and bicep.  Then onto a calzone.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/11 at 2:09am
Static stretching prior to training is a no no.  But I suspect you really didn't count that as a training session since there wasn't a big movement in there.  Recovery work imo. 

calZONE diet > Zone diet
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/11 at 9:05am
I did the static stretch on the legs and lower back on a day that I was not training them.  I like to static stretch them real hard on a non training day for them.  Will mobility and foam roll them tonight. 

I went and threw some hammer this morning.  Was fun, no boots, no measure.  Just enjoyed the gorgeous day and weather.  52 and not a cloud in the sky. 

Then jumped rope.  Got 50 today, and got them in more bunches.  Still sounded like a freight train when I got done.  Damn that Baab what he has me doing now. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/11 at 9:35pm
Went in on Halloween and got my squat on.  Went up 10% from last week to 345 for 5x5.  This was hard.  I ground them out.  And it was grinding.  Nothing pretty.  I was going to flush them out with some high rep extensions after, did a set and half.  My legs were spent and I went home.  Had to rest once on the way to the truck.  I just leaned on the rail near the entrance to the Y.  Made it look like I was stopping to admire the area I walked past the last 15 years.  I had the serious Jimmy legs. 

Came home and hit a protein drink, then chicken and baked potato.  Cheryl had made me a home made pound cake.  She then toasted a couple pieces of that up with some butter on the top.  Big glass of milk w that made me feel very comfortable in my chair. 

I love Monday at the Y here in Tuscaloosa.  It is crowded and I like to train in a crowd.  Has more energy than a empty gym.  I don't wear any head phones as I like to be in the mix.  You just yell out something about Alabama or Auburn and it starts 15 minutes of fighting and fun.  Besides, with all the people in there, I never have to wait for the platform and can squat at will.  The other 30 people are all benching.  True. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/11 at 2:54am
Awesome Myles! Squat is lookin good! way to grind em out! I lift mainly at home, but occassionally I will hit the Gym on Fort Lewis Army Base. They just put in 5 huge squat racks and platforms last year so I really never have to worry about getting one... may be one loser curling out of a rack, but I still have 4 more to chose from from... lol  Sometimes its motivating just to show off once in awhile...lol
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/11 at 3:34am

Enjoy reading your posts....Glad you are here....

Looking forward to watching your training progress....

crum
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 1:26am
Ken, I am glad to still be here bro.

Last night I went in and hit some push work. 

Incline 2 sets of 135 x 3, 225 x 3, then 5 sets of 245 x5.  This was pretty hard, then went up and did 275 x 1, and 285 x 1, all done with no spot or lift off.  I went down to 225 and did 8 reps with it, and was cashed.

Standing dumbell presses, 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 5.  Side laterals, strict with 25's 3 sets to failure.  Dumbell presses or any overhead causes me some problems now.  The place they cut my chest bone in half feels like it is going to come apart.  I broke one of the retainers they put in there to hold it together, and clearly that would be bad to pull my chest apart in the center.  The dumbells got my attention. 

Partial dips, just the lock out for the tris, 3 sets of bodyweight to failure, then three sets of rope push downs to failure. 

Had some salmon over rice after that, was great, Cheryl cooked it on the grille.  This light weight stuff is getting old with me. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 1:30am
Where they cut you open, does that never heal correctly like a broken bone does?
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 8:56am
Went to heart doctor this morning, shortest visit yet, don't want to see me for another 6 months. 

I think it is more kind of cartlidge?  Not sure if it is the traditional bone like a leg or arm bone that enjoys weight bearing.  When I first had the operation it was loose and clicked.  The doctors would talk to me then about pulling it apart and how hard it was to fix the second time.  They would ask about the clicking and after it still did that a month later they asked me to move less and I did and it stopped.  When I later had the chest cat scan a year later when I had the congestive problem they found I broke one of the fasteners.  I am thinking it is a sign to go heavy. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 9:06am
It the sternum and it is a very dense bone. It protects your heart. It doesnt heal like a broken bone in your arm or leg. It is also constantly moving because youre breathing... Hopefully...lol.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 9:07am

" 275 x 1"

As always, well done.

The man in the arena.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

Thanks brother Jay

Last night was pork chops with the gravy over rice and some field peas.  A true southern meal.  Sweet tea of course.  Then laid there until the series was over and had my supps with some choc milk.  A solid night for sure. 

LOL...livin' large!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 10:40am
The costal cartileges....connect ribs to sternum are always moving. The whole assembly is a lot more flexible that most people think.

Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 1:48am
To celebrate the doc visit, had some serious fried chicken last night.  Mac salad w some sweat tea.  Moved from there to a double pack of Zingers, w a lot of milk.  Slept hard.

Oh, I did lay on the floor doing mobility and PVC rolling while watching FSU stomp Boston C out.  Left leg is going numb on me a lot when I stand up, so trying to work on that, used baseball on the lower back to get in deep near spine.  Have something pinching me there, feel it go through my ass down into leg.  Got my mind on some lat and bi work tonight w some maint work.   
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 12:01pm
Went in and did some cardio, bike at a high pace for 5.  Made my legs feel pumped.  Did couple sets each leg of 20 TKE, and some cuff for each shoulder.  Static stretch the legs and lower back. 

Pull downs.  Worked up to the machine w a 35 hanging on it for 8 reps.  Felt decent. 

Alternating curls standing, started with the 25's and did 5 reps and worked up the rack 10 pounds at a time.  35,45,55, 65, 75, and 85's.  I dropped a rep at 65 to 4 and at 75 went to 3.   Then did 3 sets of concentration curls to failure each arm. 

Home to Steak Kabobs on the grille.  Sweet tea. 

Getting ready for the game in town.  The Y is on the corner of Luraleen Wallace Blvd and Bear Bryant Drive for some tradition.  Flags are flying and banners all out.  Cheryl has a menu planned for the game.  I think some shrimp are going to be early, start of game or first quarter, into some grille work at half, Kabasa on the grille. 

ROLL TIDE
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/11 at 10:50am
Saturday I went out and threw some sheaf, just threw nice and easy about 10 times.  Got the blood flowing.  Got sick after the Bama game, had some kind of stomach flu.

Sunday went out and threw some stone.  Just did some breamer and then chase it and toss again.  Got the blood flowing, nothing wild.  My back has been tight now for a few days.  I think it is a sign.  Pull deads.  So that is what I will do.  Going to change up my training.  I have been doing all my work sets and then going heavy.  Going back to what works for me and go up heavy and then do work.  But Monday, time to do what I know works for me.  Pull.

I rolled around on a softball today on my erectors.  I have a spot there that it seems to really get into nice. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 2:26am

Nice work Myles! I have to say whenever i have back issues a good deadlift workout seems to staighten them out. I believe its the tension on the muscle the pulls the spasm out like a kink in a rope.

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 6:19am
Try some rowing machine. Seriously.  My lower back gets tight, and I feel it right down my butt and into my upper leg.  10 minutes on the row machine, really stretching forward for a long pull, and all is right, again.  I don't have to bust a gut, just pull and move for 8-10 minutes.
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 12:27am
Alan, your going to find my take on about everything from bad weather to a death in the family is to dead lift. 

Last night went poor, and it is all my fault.  A week prior I killed myself squatting.  I am frustrated right now and just am tired of this weak crap.  I bounce my daily off C and we agreed I needed more than a week of recovery from my last Monday.  I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems.  I am also a natural thin person that overtrains easily.  I have been caught on the wrong side of the line many times and it has caused many injuries.  Being past 39 has not helped that.  All that said, did I wait to recover, nope.  I decided since I was going to dead lift I would just go in and do it.  Of course if we think logical the dead is not the easy light movement to go in and do before recovery, but who said logic is involved.  So last night I went in to pull.  At 315 my back started really hurting.  Was like I could just not get tight enough at the bottom to pull without pain.  But of course I did 315.  Many times in lifting heavy and throwing, the last set might not be so optimal, so you just put that out of your mind and go forward.  So I of course took the feedback that my back was hurting, like anyone with a brain would expect and I added a plate.  405 hurt much more.  But I did it.  I then added a quarter, I guess I felt another 50 pounds would make it feel better?  It did not work.  I could not take the pain and could not do the rep.  So not thinking I needed to rest I tried to do another movement.  Leg press absolutely smoked my knees.  Could not do them.  So you think I stopped?  Nope, tried some jump split squats, I won't give in or up.  That just hurt all over.  At that point I sat there and the light came on.  I went home and ate a lot.  Was a good game on TV.  Cheryl made me some unreal home made oatmeal cookies.  Big plate of pot roast with mash potatoes and gravy.  Sweet tea.

A lot of the time I need a week rest in a month.  3 weeks on, 1 week off to survive.  But I am not able to make myself take the time off.  This week I have to rest.  Not sure how, but will do it.  Hope to come back next week heavier with BW and lifts.  I have issues and want to be large and strong. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

I bounce my daily off C and we agreed I needed more than a week of recovery from my last Monday.  I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.

True story.

I'm smart.  
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 2:38am

"I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems."

No shit man...but this almost took you before your time.

"I have issues and want to be large and strong."

Too late my friend...you already are.

Stay at it Myles...mental toughness.  Love you to death man, but you have to start playing chess instead of checkers.  Think less about what you didn't do or couldn't do at that exact moment and maybe think three or four moves down the road.  So you couldn't take the pain yesterday.  Are you going to let the reality of yesterday define you today or tomorrow...remember the pain of that failure and use it to drive you.  Use it to fuel that fire.

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong - Thomas Carlyle

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

"I have been saying I am not waiting and am going to make it happen, at least three times he has warned me on this.  But if you know me, my weakness is I am regimented to schedule.  I don't like to miss, I like to train.  I have trained my whole life too often too hard.  Overtraining is a way of life for me it seems."

No shit man...but this almost took you before your time.

"I have issues and want to be large and strong."

Too late my friend...you already are.

Stay at it Myles...mental toughness.  Love you to death man, but you have to start playing chess instead of checkers.  Think less about what you didn't do or couldn't do at that exact moment and maybe think three or four moves down the road.  So you couldn't take the pain yesterday.  Are you going to let the reality of yesterday define you today or tomorrow...remember the pain of that failure and use it to drive you.  Use it to fuel that fire.

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the wek becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong - Thomas Carlyle

Awesome post Duncan!

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 9:23pm
Duncan bro, no worries man.  I have been doing this since the late 70's and studying since then.  As C can tell you, I research daily reading and looking for new things and ideas to grow larger and stronger.  I am constantly trying new things.  So much easier now days, back at the start we only had a couple books and monthly rags.  I play my stuff way out but also change with daily, weekly and monthly feedback.  I did Louie Simmons back in the early 90's when he first started being published in PLUSA, but I would have to call him each week to get the scoop.  I can remember even when they were going to cut me open and work on my heart, they paraded a list of doctors and specialist in to my room to tell me it was over and I would never do this and that again and in my mind I was still thinking I would find some way.  So my log is only a day in the life, nothing more.  I will be ready for next season and be strong, end of story.  Now I just will make it so.  I know my weakness and what it is, does that make it easy for me to control and overcome it?  It is a sword with two edges.  Yep, I overtrain and it causes problems, but that same desire has brought me a long ways and keeps me pushing.  I look in the mirror and see a skinny guy, is that bad?  Again, it keeps me pushing on, so do you see the glass half empty or full?  I see it needing at least twice the amount of protein they recommend.  I saw some old college friends last week, they were talking about me 30 years ago eating 500 liver pills a week at the time.  Now I am trying high dosages of fish oil.  Times change, people don't.  Size waits for no man.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/11 at 10:32am
Rolling around on the floor like some kind of animal doing mobility and rolling on my pvc while my son rides me.  Cross training that with 3 muskateers and Milky way fun size as fast as I can open them.  Lots of milk, skim of course cause we want to keep the fat level down.  People all over the world are starving, there is no way I am letting this candy go to waste.  Sides, I have to get after it or my son will kill it all.  Cheryl is cooking me chicken tonight, not sure what is coming w that other than some sweet tea.  I ate all the oatmeal cookies so I will be prowling the kitchen during the game looking for goodness.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/11 at 1:12pm
sounds like some good carb loading.  

It's funny how when I pull out the foam roller to get some work on it, my kids see a carnival ride.  Great way to add a little weighted assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
  Share Topic