FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/14 at 2:12pm
Sunday 4/20/14

Swamped in work, but I sneaked out for a few throws.

56# WFD
  • 5 x Fulford drills.
  • 5 x single turns.
  • 2 x full throws.
  • Timing all over the place.  I'm counting this a just some strengthening.  I didn't have a lot in the tank, and I was in a hurry.  Bust for technique, but a good muscle stretch.

Sheaf
  • Just some experimenting.  My left shoulder is still on rest break, and I have been been stalled on sheaf for some time.   I decided to go "full contrarian", and I threw left handed just to see what would happen.
  • Bottom drills x 4 = 15' straight sideways, then 18', 18', 18'.
  • Huh... they felt awkward, but also faster and smoother.  This bears further investigation.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 1:57pm
Monday 4/21/14

Still completley overwhelmed and stressed by work, but I combated that with throws.

28# WFD
  • 5 x Fulford drills.
  • 5 x single turns.
  • 10 x full throws.
  • Not smooth, but all near the practice PR range... which sadly is well short of where I need to be.  Gotta throw MOAR.

Sheaf
  • Now officially throwing left-handed.
  • Bottom drills x <one metric F-tonne>.  No idea how many, but lots.  Trying to figure out where the sweet spots are for backswing, block, and hand placement.  Here is what I have determined:
    • My stiff fork, Serenity, is still too stiff for the 16# bag.  I'm staying with my springier (D McC constucted) fork, Gone Shootin'.
    • My steps didn't change.  Good.  One less thing to worry about.
    • My block height didn't really change either.  Not that I expected it would, but again, one less thing.
    • I can feel the pendulum feeling in the winds much easier since I swapped hands, and the back swing feels more natural.
    • I almost dropped the bag on my head a couple of times from throwing straight up, so I had to torque the fork back toward me a little more to be in-line with my arm.
    • At the heights I'm throwing, I don't appear to be losing anything or pulling my shoulder back if I watch the bag fly (Gene Flynn style) -- which right now I am inclined to do after nearly dropping the bag on my head.
    • I feel like I am throwing much smoother and faster.
  • Full throws x 5.  Last one best @ 19'  when the timing all went right.  Now we're back on track, and I hope to get it climbing again.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 12:00pm
Tuesday 4/22/14 -- Happy Earth Day

Deads in max sets of 5
  • 45x10, 75x10, 95x10 to warm up
  • Then continuing sets of 5 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315
  • Then 3x3 @ 90% = 285x3, 285x3, 285x3 snappy
  • My knees were a bit wobbly today from sheaf practice yesterday, so I didn't go as heavy as I expected.  Got it done though.
Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 9:53pm
Wednesday 4/23/14

On the road a lot today, but I sneaked in a quick stones practice tonight.

20# Stone
  • Toes to board x 5
  • Braemar x >10
  • Open x a couple, just working on finding positions
Braemar is coming together.  I am beginning to get the explosive unwind from the hips and onto the left leg.  It feels different than it used to -- faster, more punch -- and the distances are improving.

Beautiful throwing.  Polaris straight out from the trig.  Jupiter overhead.  Creepy loud animals prowling in the woods at the edge of the practice field.  All good.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 10:09pm
Sounds awesome!
C Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 10:12pm
Sorry bout the animal sounds Tom. Wife finally let me out for a last day viewing of Cap Am 2 at the Blairsville cinema. Just excited is all. Great work this season!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 10:48pm
Thank you both!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 1:30pm
Thursday 4/24/14

Squats in max sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 245, 255, 275.  Matched my PR from two weeks ago, and I did it faster this week.
  • Then three more @ 90% = 250x3, 250x3, 250x3

Tricep and Bicep accessories x some.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 1:43pm
Well done Tom!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 2:08pm
ATG squatting just 225 used to be really hard, but Doctore est diabolus.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 12:59pm
Friday 4/25/14

Back and shoulder accessories.

LWFD
  • Position drills in the evening, maybe five throws. 
  • I am working on two technique corrections that I want to prove out.

Saturday 4/26/14
Very late night throwing under the flood light.

16# Sheaf (still going left handed)
  • Bottom drills x 8, working on speed.
  • Full throws x 8, entirely working on timing.
  • Bar set at 18', and I sat the bag on the bar six times.  This is still very encouraging.  It will be there soon.

HWFD
  • 5 x Fulford drills
  • 2 x full throws.  They were both terribly messy fouls, so I switched to the 28 rather than hurt myself with pride.

LWFD
  • 8 x full throws.
  • Still working on technique corrections.
  • All were in my practice PR range, but none felt quite right.  It will come with reps.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 12:58pm
Wednesday 4/29/14

I am in a very high stress, high workload, low sleep time right now, so my diet and CNS are taking a beating.  I am also off schedule, and it shows in the gym.

On the upside, my shoulder should be fixed according to my chiropractor.  It still feels funny, but I am running out of time before my next games to get hammer practice in.  I think I'll just have to try it and see.

Wednesday 4/24/14

Squats in max sets of 5
  • Then continuing sets of 5 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235.

DB Rows
  • 4x8 with 75s

I also made some supplementation changes, including a pre-workout carbohydrate drink.  I have never tasted the bottom of a subway worker's shoe, but I think I have tasted the nearest thing.  Crivens... I made a bad choice on flavor.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:41pm
I have thrown out a lot of protein powder over the years. Beverly is the best tasting!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/14 at 8:23pm
Catching up...

Friday 5/2/14

Deads in max sets of 8
  • Then continuing sets of 8 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235
  • Good enough for the current state of the vehicle

Saturday 5/2/14 -- MoD-Day

1.2 mile walk 
  • Came in second behind some upstart kid. Wink

20# stone
  • 5 x toes to board
  • 5 x Braemar
  • 5 x open
  • Stones are feeling bettter.

56# WFD
  • Six-ish full throws
  • One glorious foul.  One of the few times ever that I've lost the grip on the implement coming through a spin, and the weight and I went out opposite sides of the trig.
  • One glorious throw.  Slowed it down, hit all the positions, worked half as hard, and it went further.  I need more of this intentionally.

Sunday 5/4/14

Mowed the clover so I wouldn't lose implements.

Sheaf
  • Twenty left-handed shots at 18'.  Several over in the later throws.
  • Things are starting to feel right.  The "you'll know it when you feel it" stuff that Duncan has described to me is starting to happen, and I am beginning to get it dialed in to happen every time.
  • At least tonight, I could confidently clear 18'.  One HTH for 20', so it's time to move the bar up.

Going to see if my shoulder can do hammer tomorrow.

Tom

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/14 at 8:47am
In reflection on last night's practice (to paraphrase Gary Larson) -

"You know, Sid, I really like sheaf...
I mean, I know that's not profound or
nothin'... Heck! We ALL do... But for me,
I think it goes much more beyond that."
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/14 at 8:16pm
Monday 5/5/14 -- beginning of Savannah Games week

22# Hammer
  • 5 throws
  • Didn't suck.
  • Shoulder didn't fall off.  Win.

28# WFD
  • 5 throws
  • Nice and smooth

Little bit o' sheafin' to wind things up.

Deads in speed sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295
  • Nice and quick

Headed to Tucson tomorrow night for some work meetings.  That close to Jake-land, and I will have no car and no time.  <SMH>

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 11:09pm
Tuesday 5/6/14

Squats in speed sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235
  • Nice and fast

Wednesday 5/7/14

• Some footwork drills for stone.
  • Tucson is covered up in nice smooth surge stones to help with gutter run-off and flash floods.  I prowled the grounds of the hotel tonight until I found one that feels about 16#.  I think I'll try some O-stone practice tomorrow if I can do it without attracting too much attention.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 11:29pm
Nice! Good luck getting creative & getting some throwing in while travelling. I'm going to be in Las Vegas for a week right before the Costa Mesa games with probably no opportunity to throw Unhappy
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/14 at 3:18pm
Meetings yea! :-(
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 10:24am
Long flight back from Arizona last night, seated between a large Australian man and a pregnant lady.  I roasted the entire way.  Got out to my truck in the far reaches of Hartsfield's economy parking a 11:30pm to find a flat rear tire.  At least it didn't happen on the way to the airport (Nate Parker style).  I finally got home about 2am for a few hours sleep before driving back down to Atlanta for work, but I got to see my sons before I left.  Priceless.

I'm leaving for Savannah this afternoon, and we'll see if I can make any gains in the games tomorrow.  I'm feeling pretty run down, but the games always bring out the best in me.  I do love this sport.

Reminder for all y'all -- Mothers' Day is Sunday.  If you haven't already prepared, get on it.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 11:37am
Good Luck in Savannah.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 11:48am
Thanks!  More than anything it will be my reward for surviving the work stress of the last month.  Regardless of how I do, I will be throwing with friends and will be sure to have a blast.  Hopefully I can get some PRs too. 

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 1:34pm
5/10/14

38th Annual Savannah Scottish Games

It was a really up an down day, but the ups were higher than the downs were down.  To start with, I must say it is a drag getting old.  I was loading my cooler into the truck Saturday morning, got off balance, and ganked my back.  I don't know what I did exactly (my chiroproactor will fix it tomorrow), but all the muscles in my mid back seized up with eye-watering intensity.  I tried to roll it out, but it was shot for the day. 

A game-changing injury, from lifting the cooler before the games.  Seriously?  Who does that? 

I felt so stupid, that I could have kicked myself, but probably would have just aggravated the injury.  So anyway, all of the rotational throws at the games were intensely  painful all day, and my distances suffered badly.  Just bad luck, but that is the way it goes sometimes.  Anyway...

General:
We were throwing at Bynuh's Field, a historic location on the Bethesda Academy / Boy's Home landholdings.  It was flat and beautiful, with cedars and live oaks around the perimeter.  All the judges were top notch, the announcer was professional ( a TV news guy if I heard correctly ), the scorekeepers were volunteers from the local girls' soccer team, the food was good, the shirts were cool, and the implements were all high quality.  Bob Gourlay runs a great games.

I think we had something like 66 athletes spread across Novice, Bs, As, 40-49 Masters, 50+ Masters, and Ladies.  I threw with the Bs (despite my age), and I think we had 14, but I may be misremembering.  It was a good group of throwers.

Events in order:

Caber
  • Bs started with caber, and I was second in the order.  Bad luck all around unfortunately.
  • 19' 95# with a wicked bend in the last six feet.
  • Round 1 = successful pick, but really wobbly when I started moving.  Got a late pull for a poor angle score.
  • Round 2 = successful pick, better pull, but my left cleat caught on a root and blew the momentum.  Better angle score.  The guy after me broke the caber.  We taped it up, but it couldn't survive the second round, so none of the second round scores counted.
  • Round 3 = shorter, fatter caber.  Successful pick and a turn for 10:00.  The guy after me broke this one too, and we had no other cabers, so my third round score didn't count either.  Bugger.

22# Hammer
  • About as rotational a throw as you can get.  I tried with blades and without blades, but I was so seized up that I kept bumping the ground on the third wind, totally blowing the throw, and further wrenching my back.  Just awful.

WOB
  • No problems because no twisting. 
  • Starting height was 10' which I cleared on the second try.  PR.  Yeah! 
  • I missed 11' three times, but all three were excellent throws.  Just not high enough... yet.

Sheaf
  • Another height event, so my mid-back didn't play into it. 
  • Starting height was 18' which I cleared on the first try.
  • Cleared 20' on the first try, no problem.  PR.  Finally broke the 20' barrier.
  • Missed 22' three times, but my last was a 23' throw straight up.  It just didn't have enough drift to go over the bar and dropped right in front of it.  I bet I'll clear 22' at home soon.

16# Ostone
  • Back to rotational.  I think I went 26' or something with a painful Braemar.

56# WFD
  • Beautiful flowing double-spins, but I couldn't keep my chest up.  17' and change.

28# WFD
  • Two terrible fouls and one good throw.  I wasn't getting good separation, and it was driving me out the right side of the trig on the first two. 
  • I think I got just over 30' on a super slow final throw, and I was grateful for it.

Overall
  • No idea where I placed.  Willy Danzer won our division handily.  He was one of those guys who epitomizes "smooth goes far."  It was a joy to watch him throw. 
  • A young guy named Brent won the As.  It was only his third game, so he will be a guy to watch.
  • Jocelyn Davis won the ladies' division.  Yay J.D.!
  • Dave Fulford won the 40-49 Masters, and sent home one of his first place medals for Duncan.  Clan Dave!
  • Dave Bryant won the 50+ Masters.  It was only his second game - his first was Panama City with me last month.  Great guy to hang out with too.

Now here was the big surprise
  • I won the 13th Annual Sgt. Rufus Calhoun Hodges Georgia Hussar Award for being Best Sportsman of the day.  It came with a framed award, my name in the historical record, and a four foot claymore.  The officials all got together and pushed for it.  Apparently I exemplified all the qualities they like to see in a highland athlete, and a descendent of Sgt. Hodges actually put the award in my hand.  I was deeply affected by this.  All I can say is that I have had great role models among my peers and betters. 

I'll get my back fixed tomorrow and then it's back to training.  Gallabrae HG in two weeks!

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 4:19pm
Aim high. Stay hungry.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 4:25pm
Wow - Congrats on the Stg Hodges award!! Sounds awesome!

Nice job making the best of a crap situation - Good luck getting the back fixed up.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 5:31pm
sorry to hear about the cooler incident. That's why I have my wife lift everything before a competition. Great work getting a PR while damaged. And the sergeant Hodges award. Wow!
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 7:36pm
Congrats on the WOB PR, sheaf PR and the Sgt. Rufus Calhoun Hodges Georgia Hussar Award! You are a great sportsman!
Next thing to add to your training is a core day. One day set aside to build all the muscles around the waist. As The Dr told me "you build your own internal weightlifting belt and brace off it". You will have no more freak back accidents and lifting Duncan as you age will be so much easier. See my log for reference exercises!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 8:21pm
Thanks all.

Bill -- I have a great slosh pipe not two feet behind me as I type this.  Right where I left from when I last picked it up a month ago... sigh... point taken.  I do core stuff all the time, but not throw you off balance, keep your guts together core stuff like the pipe provides.

It was just one of those really unlucky things.  I felt so stupid, but that's what I get for being in a hurry.

I'm still counting the day a total win though.  It was a great games, and I got two PRs.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/14 at 12:47pm
I got face-down on the Dr. Stacey's table today, and the first thing she said was, "Oh, wow..."

• C4 and C6 rotated out of whack.
  • T4, T6, and T8 all protruding.
  • Lumbars locked up in four places per side.
  • Hips misaligned.
  • Left shoulder subluxated again.

"You threw like that?"

Everything is back in place now and I have a recheck in a week.  I need to be careful in the gym this week and foam roll as much as tolerable.

Moving on...

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:58am
Tuesday 5/13/14

Deads in max sets of 5
  • 45x10, 75x10 to warm up
  • Then continuing sets of 5 with 95, 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315
  • Called it there, and my back is fine. Thumbs Up
If the weather holds tonight, I will try to throw a little.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 48>
  Share Topic