FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Heavy Training Schedule and Ice Baths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Training Schedule and Ice Baths
    Posted: 4/24/13 at 2:51pm

So after my leg workout yesterday (Squats , squats and more squats) I went to go down the stairs at the gym and found out that my legs didn't want to work anymore haha As a result today, As expected, I have insane amounts of lactic acid and pain in my legs.

I've personally never used Ice baths before but I've heard that they can help speed up the recovery stage by constricting the vessels and squeezing out the lactic acid. Is this true? and should I use them regularily? I'm also concerned with causing injury by not properly rehabing muscles.

Cheers
"Crush your enemies,See them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!"
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/13 at 3:00pm
I use ice baths A LOT. On a heavy throwing or lifting day nothing beats it. I feel the key to it is doing it ASAP after your done working out. Take some protein in and jump in the ice bath.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
aaron a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/13 at 8:54pm
It is actually not lactic acid that causes the soreness but hydrogen, the joy of sports physiology.

alberta scottish athletic association
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:54am
Originally posted by aaron a aaron a wrote:

It is actually not lactic acid that causes the soreness but hydrogen, the joy of sports physiology.
And the day-after soreness is not from hydrogen either.  The delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is from the microscopic tears in the muscle fibers and resulting edema (the slides of muscle fiber biopsies in DOMS are quite interesting).

Teresa Merrick, Ph.D.
Bellevue, NE
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:20am
Ice baths are good.  NSAIDs are good.  Contrast showers/baths are good.  BCAAs are good.  Stretching is good.  Foam rolling is good.  

Also, I've had good results from compression leggings.  I have a pair of recovery tights from UA that I originally bought for my flight to Russia for a strongman contest.  I've since started sleeping in them the night after a hard leg workout, or the night before a games.  Many companies (UA, 2XU, Skins, etc.) make recovery specific gear, but I don't see why a cheap pair of tights wouldn't give similar results.
Britton L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britton L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 7:39pm
I feel obligated to chime in on this topic due to an experience I had last summer. Last August my legs were trashed from lots of throwing and lifting. Having a game that weekend I wanted to recover as much as possible. When I played sports in college, we did ice whirlpool bathes submerged up to our shoulders all the time for recovery. So, I stopped on the way home from throwing and grabbed a couple bags of ice. I filled up the tub with ice and water. I only had my legs submerged and not any of my torso. I got the water temp too cold and stayed in too long. I ended up giving myself hypotherma. Thanks to the quick action of my wife, she kept me from going into shock and got me warm by wrapping me in blankets and driving me around in the car for an hour with the heater on full blast. I shivered violently and my teeth chattered the whole time.

The moral of the story:
1) Keep your water temp above 50 degrees
2) Don't stay in longer than 10-15 minutes
3) Submerge your torso as well as your lower half (vasoconstriction keeps chilled blood in your legs)

Ice bathes work, just be careful and learn from my goofy mistake.
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/15 at 2:41pm
Jason just told me this story Sunday. Scary stuff! Thanks for the info.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/15 at 9:37am
I don't think you need the temp above 50. I also don't think you need ice, per se, if the water coming out of your tap is cold enough. You DO need to pull the pin at 10-15 minutes though. But that should be more than enough for recovery.

I don't have AC so I tend to ice bath before bed. Sleep like a baby.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:50pm
I iced from the inside out tonight after training w a cold beer, well it was colder than 50 and more than one.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Dr. Francois View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Francois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/18 at 8:27am
Zombie thread here, but I wanted to chime in that every locker room in my local club has a cold plunge right next to the hot tub.  I think it's because of the Scandanavian influence here in Michigan (sauna followed by a jump in the icy lake), but it's an interesting feature.

Several years ago, my dad and I swam from Alcatraz to North Beach in SF.  Water temp was about 58F.  Air temp as we waited for the ferry on the pier was about 45F.  He got brutal hypothermia and I was fine.  I'm also built like a polar bear and he looks more like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.  
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:11pm
I like a lot of ice in my ice coffee.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic