Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

North/South 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 12:06pm
Also, if someone from a "North Team" state was to win the SSAAA Championship, they would be given first consideration as North Captain, and KC and Susan would select someone they wanted to be South Captain.

Also, when a captain is chosen, it is up to them to be one of the compeditors or not. Most have chosen to compete. A few times, the captain has chosen to give his spot on the field to someone else.
"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 1:00pm
Thanks Kevin. That makes it clear as day. Merry Xmas to you and your family.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
robinson93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinson93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 7:21pm
I echo all of Kevins sentiments. I don't envy the team captains and all the decisions they have to make.  No matter who you chose you're going to piss someone off.  I like to check the rankings, just to see how I measure up across the board, but I don't put alot of grounding to them.  They are the best that someone can come up with given a sports without a governing body or implement control specs.   Craig is right, If your looking for a high ranking, you need to tavel.  Rankings show how good a year a person has had not how they throw a game.  Yes I think rankings should be a selection factor, but you also have to throw with these people and make sure that the team will be cohesive.  When you have a large group of Alpha males sometimes ego gets in the way, not good for a team throw.  lastly these selections take place when you don't know who you're up against.  You have to plan for oponent weeknesses by assuming you know who they are and by knowing who can put the heat on these people when you need it.   Thats only  some of what I deam as important selection factors, I have know Idea what what others these captains will use. 

I support Nicks and Shanes Selections,  It will be a great game to watch. Good Luck To both of the Teams
nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 8:21pm
Honestly, I'm glad no one is judging me for my picks! Holy shiz. I selected guys that I enjoy throwing with. I could have selected myself and the top ranked guys from the north, but I selected Jeff Kaste, who beat me twice this past year, and I beat him twice, he's a great competitor and a better dude. Beers and laughs are shared every time we compete. Chuck Kasson is probably one of the funniest guy I've competed with, and I had dinner with him and his better half at worlds, and they both are grade A individuals. Chuck is the only person, the entire season who was beating me going into the final 2 events. And I love the way he pushes me to be at my best, so I suspect he will force me and the rest of my team to be on the top of their game. Matt Hand? Well he's my best friend. And my little brother.And he's ranked in the top 20. I think that's good enough. But let me also add in 2012 he wasn't in the top 50...he saw me go to north south, listen to my big mouth about how amazing it was and he said I want that. He moved up over 1,000 points in one year, If nothing else that should prove he was the most motivated to get here. I picked guys that have made my season memorable, and fun. So thank you to these guys, for being the top ranked guys on the north, in my book. Not to take anything from guys like Nate, and John pilling, and bill Waddell and a couple others... Unfortunately we don't get to pick 8 guys.

As for the south team... I've seen videos. I've seen the numbers. Travis has throw at the sheaf record, more than once, Shane has won big games, that have put him as the captain. And Isaac? Do I have to say anything, about someone with that last name?!? The only thing I can say to the south team is, everyone else can assume you're the underdog...but there are 4 guys up here who respect you, and aren't underestimating you.

When we show up, no one cares that Jeff, kasson and I finished 1-2-3 at the world championships. No one cares that Matt hand throws 42-51 in the stones, and I would bet on him in any sheaf competition in the world. It's zero-zero when we show up. I plan on attacking every throw and fighting for every inch. And if you dont think my guys and the south team isn't prepared to do the same, you're a fool. It's going to be a great competition and a great time. And I'm proud to be a part of it.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 8:29pm
Well isn't Nick a politician? After that speech, I'd vote for him, and I bet he could recite it without a teleprompter.
C Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 8:43pm
Go Team SOUTHerland!!! Hahaha. Had to. Bring it home Shane!

Looks like a great game with solid athletes. I'm really just posting to ask that someone post updates please.

Miss ya Kev.
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 12:39am
I am quite certain that the only fireworks i most care about will be the missiles being tossed by these guys. I am concerned about one thing...
The sheaf towers may not be tall enough. 

FWIW Shane is a great guy despite his unfortunate place of birth, but he adjusted pretty well. No one calls him "carpetbagger" anymore. Tongue See you soon buddy!

Go Team South!
"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 7:52am
You only get your name on the trophy when you win, so pick a good team.  Being blessed to have competed and captained this a bunch of times, it is a great event and have met some enduring friends over the years at this game on the other team.  My first year I can remember I sat down at a table after the game to drink w a couple guys and get to know them better, Chad Braden and Craig Smith.  They were having a beer before driving through the night to get back home to work.  The game gives one of the greatest gift a man can receive, a good new friend.  Can hear Kay in my mind talking to me about the team and the folks we wanted on it.  Some great times at this game with insane after parties, and I have photos.

Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
70theelder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70theelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 8:13am
Had the privilege to compete for the South in "98. Pretty sure this was the inaugural event. It was held in New Orleans and the people there treated us awesome. To echo Myles' sentiments, I made some lifelong friends there and created some great memories. It was a great time and the South prevailed. Go South!!
Three sets of twenty ought to make you feel strong.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 4:01pm
I always thought it was who had any travel $ or time left at the end of the year ? Wink
best after party of all times.
Myles - will that guy ever shut up playing ?
Love the N/S - only wish they would add a master every year Big smile
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Adam Sizemore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Sizemore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 4:01pm
I forfeited any opportunity (if there was one haha) to throw N/S but rest assured Sutherland, Gardner, and Becker are all quality guys and all capable throwers. GO SOUTH!!
@Sizemore48
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/13 at 3:57pm
I doubt anyone ever spoke to Kay on this board more than I did, I know Kevin spoke to him also a lot, but I think Kevin will agree with me here.  This game was set up as a reward for the throwers for the season they had.  It was the best of the south against the best of the north.  It was for the throwers with the pelts on the wall and the scars getting them.  It was not a game for potential throwers or new guys, it was a reward.  Now I know sometimes the top guy or next one could not come, so another choice was made, but to pass up top guys that have been in the SSAAA games is not consistent.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/13 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

I doubt anyone ever spoke to Kay on this board more than I did, I know Kevin spoke to him also a lot, but I think Kevin will agree with me here.  This game was set up as a reward for the throwers for the season they had.  It was the best of the south against the best of the north.  It was for the throwers with the pelts on the wall and the scars getting them.  It was not a game for potential throwers or new guys, it was a reward.  Now I know sometimes the top guy or next one could not come, so another choice was made, but to pass up top guys that have been in the SSAAA games is not consistent.  

Clap
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/13 at 9:38am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

While I suppose that's technically true, it's a bit disingenuous to say that Kevin.   

Since the beginning, it's always been the top ranked guys taking the team spots.  Just look at your history page and note all the names the went on to throw Pro.  So historically, yes, it is an All Star game.     

Let's look at the last years teams listed on the SSAAA site for comparison.  The 2012 teams:

The North had the #5, #8, #9, #10, and #12 ranked Ams from 2011.
The South had the #2, #3, #4, #13, and #19 ranked Ams from 2011. 

Seems to me like the top ranked guys were chosen and if some were unavailable they just went down the list, no?

Now let's look at the 2014 teams:

The North has the #1, #5, #7, and #16 ranked Ams from 2013.
The South has the #2, #21, #159, and #217 ranked Ams from 2013.

I haven't been on a N/S team in over a decade, so I have no dog in this fight, but some might be interested in that information. 

I was the captain of the 2011 and 2012 North teams.  Both times I picked directly from the rankings.  Both times there was somebody I have never even met or talked to that I tracked down (2011 was Dan Williams, 2012 was Robin Knebel).  The only time I didn't even look at the rankings when picking somebody was Jason Thomas, but I think he was still ranked in the top 20.  And anybody that had thrown with Jason knows why(he won the caber and hammer by the way). Both times I had somebody drop out(One was within 10 days of the comp).  Its hard work picking these teams and keeping everything inline trying not to hurt anybody's feelings.   I remember talking to Shane in 2011 and making the comment "If we both get the teams we want, we are going to finish 9th and 10th" Lol

So I picked, rankings was the first factor. 

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/13 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

Myles,

I can’t say I agree totally on what you said. Kay and I had conversations every year about the N/S, particularly when I was captain. The one thing that Kay always gravitated to was suggesting the guys he knew. He would always bring up throwers he met at the games he attended, watched throw, and that he had a chance to talk to. Even if they were not “top guys”. Sometimes these guys were new, other times they were veterans who had only competed once or twice that year. One time he asked me to talk to a guy who had stepped out of the games that year, to pull him out of retirement for the N/S. (Granted, the guy he wanted me to talk to was Jason Richard).

Some people might not know this, but Kay always wanted some say on the South team. He didn’t pick the team personally, but he was part of the process and always made suggestions. In fact, those discussions were some of my favorite phone calls with Kay. Talking throwing, strategy, and what throwers we wanted with us the weekend of the N/S.

The selection process and how to approach it would change from year to year, and Kay was very tuned into it. He knew there were some years that the North was stacked with top throwers, and that rankings would come more into play. Those years the South team might bring in some guys who may not have been involved in SSAAA games leading into that N/S, guys Kay didn’t know. When this happened, many times Kay would call me to talk about the throwers to see if I knew them, and if they were good people. (Even if I wasn’t on the team)

Other years the South seemed to be stacked with more top throwers. During those years, Kay would suggest some guys who “deserved a chance” to be there despite their place in any ranking. Sometimes Kay wanted new blood there. Not necessarily new throwers, but different guys from the year before.

Sometimes the decisions would span games, particularly if there was a tough decision to be made for the last spot. One year the final spot came down to Dawayne Lietzan and I. That year I got the spot. The next year, Kay insisted that Dawayne be invited.

On two separate occasions when I picking throwers for a team game, Kay told me straight out that he had decided a particular person would be on the team. Once for N/S, and once for USA/Scotland.

I respect Shane’s choices, and his reasons for them. There are always more deserving throwers than the game has room for. I have been on all sides of these team games. I have been captain.  I have been invited when I expected it.  I have been left off the team when I really expected to be part of it.  I have been asked to be on the team when it was really unexpected.

The process is in no way ‘simple’….but it is fun.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/13 at 8:45am
Jeremy,

Fun tidbit....for the 2011 game, Kay and I discussed for about a week who he wanted to ask to be North Captain. It came down to two guys, and we had a hard time deciding. We discussed it a few times over the phone. We figured at the end that regardless, both guys would end up at the game anyway. So it made the decision easier.

So Kay asked you to be captain. The other guy was Nathan B....and you didn't pick him to be on the team. You ruined our process!! Way to go...jerk. Cool
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/13 at 2:11pm
Lol, My bad.  But in my defense,  I knew Nathan had been on the team the last 3 years.  Wasn't it time for "new blood"?    I picked him the following year. 
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/13 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Krazy40 Krazy40 wrote:

I picked him the following year. 
...that was about the time that the Jeremy dart board came down in the Burchett house. Big smile
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/13 at 8:17am
That is all true Kevin, but we were still talking about the top guys with many wins.  Miss those talks w Kay.  Susan just sent me the shirt from the games this year with Kay's picture on it, made both Cheryl and I sad seeing it.  Nice they named the field after him.  See you soon as I am coming down there for something.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 11:48am
Few days out, I believe. 

Looking forward to Team South shocking the world!!  You're my boys!

Edited by phatmiked - 1/14/14 at 3:53pm
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 1:17pm
but...but...

you said I was your special boy
John Pilling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Pilling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by KTDupuis KTDupuis wrote:

The guys from Scotland may have been chosen by this point...but I have not been told who they are.
Is there any update as to who the guys from Scotland are?
DrLinehan.com
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 3:54pm
Kyle Robert Randalls, Craig Robertson, Neil Elliot, and Wullie Falconer, I think.   Good crew of fellas.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

Kyle Robert Randalls, Craig Robertson, Neil Elliot, and Wullie Falconer, I think.   Good crew of fellas.
Well we know who's going to win hammers at least. Lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

Well we know who's going to win hammers at least. Lol.

We already knew who WOULDN'T win hammers, didn't we?

nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 7:28pm
I feel like that's a crack at me...you trying to get me wound up?!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 8:10pm
Cry havoc and let slip the hogs of war...
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 3:52am
Originally posted by nkahanic nkahanic wrote:

I feel like that's a crack at me...you trying to get me wound up?!

I know the best way to get you to do something is to say you can't do it, so yep, that's just what I was doing.
Smile
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 5:09am
I want all my HG brothers to do well, but........GO NORTH.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 7:02am
Oops!   Craig Nicholson. Not Robertson.

Sorry Craiger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic