Topic ClosedGuinness World Record Attempt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guinness World Record Attempt
    Posted: 2/27/14 at 8:58am
MWC2014 was officially launched at a Press Conference in Inverness today

Thanks to Dave Garman of the beautiful Revack Lodge Estate, we are planning on providing a caber for every MWC2014 competitor so that they can take part in our attempt at the World Caber Tossing record.

Ccurrently held by our friends at the Fergus Highland Games in Canada.

It is our intention to send every MWC2014 competitor home a world record holder.

Edited by greynolds177 - 2/27/14 at 10:58am
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Lance Creed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/14 at 11:34am
Sounds like this event is going to be a blast! Let's hope the Guinness folks are there so that we can actually get it in the book!
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/14 at 12:26pm
hopefully there will be plenty of room between cabers (20-25ft) so as to avoid someone else getting hurt like in Costa Mesa
The Queen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/14 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Shawn Baker Shawn Baker wrote:

hopefully there will be plenty of room between cabers (20-25ft) so as to avoid someone else getting hurt like in Costa Mesa

This +100 Exclamation  
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/14 at 6:43pm
Letting Dave Garman anywhere near your games reduces credibility by about 90%!

In Vegas it was by pure luck no one was injured or killed... Spectator's were within 10 feet of the guys tossing the cabers.

All of Garman's previous attempts were not actual flips, they were only tosses. Fergus counted only cabers that turned.

Do not let this happen at the MWC.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Lance Creed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/14 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by bigirish01 bigirish01 wrote:

Letting Dave Garman anywhere near your games reduces credibility by about 90%!

In Vegas it was by pure luck no one was injured or killed... Spectator's were within 10 feet of the guys tossing the cabers.

All of Garman's previous attempts were not actual flips, they were only tosses. Fergus counted only cabers that turned.

Do not let this happen at the MWC.

I was at the Vegas attempt and it was incredibly dangerous. Not enough room for the guys with the cabers let alone the crowd!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/14 at 8:57am
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 9:23am
The World record attempt will be organised by the Inverness Highland Games Committee in partnership with Scottish Masters International using the rules that have been received from Guinness and are already up on the MWC2014 Facebook site. Same as Fergus!

The attempt will be staged at Northern Meeting Park on the evening of September 14th and as usual at all our events everybody will have a minimum of all the room they need plus 50%. The cabers must be a minimum of 14'9" and weight 55lbs and must be turned.

Once we have had discussions regarding the siting of TV Cameras to capture this in the stadium and worked out the best way to site our overhead camera - we will let you know if it is going to be screened live on the internet.

Gerry

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 9:34am

Here it is... judge for yourself....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weSx35zoZy0&feature=player_detailpage

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I've seen some silly things at highland games, but that right there....
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 11:07am

Silly yes, but also terrifying.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/14 at 7:56am
The Rules have arrived from Guinness. 1. Simultaneous throwing after a clear signal. 2. All cabers to be a minimum height of 4.5m / 14 feet 9 inches. 3. All cabers to weigh a minimum of 25kg / 55 pounds. 4. Only cabers that are eligible for a score will count. (The definition of a score. A valid throw is when the small end of the caber passes through the vertical position and falls away from the competitor to land within the 180 degree radius between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.) OK - that is it. No 12 0'clocks needed as per Guinness! If you throw it straight and it lands and flips it counts.

Currently in discussions with TV regarding filming the event for you folks to enjoy.

Gerry

Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/14 at 4:02pm
Garman is supplying the Cabers... If he has any more to do with it then that, you are looking at a total disaster.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/14 at 2:34am
Big smile We are wandering into Lovers Tiff territory.

God I love this site. 

Never fails to amuse me

KTDupuis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/14 at 8:09am

I can only assume that this stunt is not mandatory for throwers competing in the MWC. I am wondering how many competitors were even contacted and asked if they wanted to partake.

I withdrew my entry into this game early this week (family reasons). However, I can say that I was never asked if I wanted to be part of this stunt.

Before you plan for a world record attempt, it might be prudent to see if there is even enough interest from the competitors to give you enough to qualify as a record. Given what I saw in the Vegas video, my answer would have been no.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 6:26am
Sorry to hear that you are not coming over KTD - I know how you feel. I had to cut short my holiday in Vegas later this month and have to fly out 2 days before the Vegas Games and I was and am gutted to be missing it.

With regard to seeking permission or approval for the world record attempt (or anything else) from the vast number of heavies heading our way in September - that was never practical now was it?

FYI we have been providing as much information as we can on a daily basis to the 400 plus members of the MWC2014 Facebook Group; and to date our thoughts of establishing a new Guinness World Record to bring the event to a close has met with a lot of approval and enthusiasm. However - just to confirm - not that it ever needed confirming - the Guinness World Record attempt at  MWC2014 is optional for throwers competing in Inverness. 

With regard to having enough throwers - that is not an issue. We will either establish a record or fail to establish a record. Numbers wise - we will have what we have on the day and with a bit of luck you will enjoy seeing it when it starts appearing on the internet. 

As you know Highland Games staged in Scotland are staged for mainly for enjoyment and whatever happens we are confident we will have a blast just like we did at MWC2006 and MWC2009.

Finally -with regard to the Las Vegas stunt - Smile how can I put this politely Smile - we are staging something different with different people in a different location of different size at a different time of year in a different country.  Any chance folk could talk about MWC2014? 

Detroitpete View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 7:07am
See above.  I'd say that just about covers it.  What a crib full of whining this site has become.
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 8:15am
Well thought out and thourough answer Gerry. Thanks. Best of luck to you, and to a safe and sucessful world record attempt.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 8:56am
Yeah no love lost here gerry....   You may be doing a different stunt in a different place, but you still have the same clown involved in it.
And you want to us to talk about MWC 2014? This is the thread you started about the World Record Caber toss.

and DetroitPete.... since when is looking out for your fellow throwers safety considered whining?
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 10:50am
From what I understand--no one is being forced to do this.  If you don't like it--don't do it.  If you have questions about it--take those questions to the event coordinator--personally--like a man.  Typing and bitching about ad infinitum possible permutations that 'may' happen via a webpage, does infact meet my definition of whining.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 11:25am
Well your definition is skewed at best. And you have no idea of the background information. If you wanna talk about "personally like a man..." Ive already done that. And Im also one of the few people who will walk up to someone who was disrepectful on-line and confront them in person. Most dont like it.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 12:23pm

Well your definition is skewed at best. And you have no idea of the background information. If you wanna talk about "personally like a man..." Ive already done that. And Im also one of the few people who will walk up to someone who was disrepectful on-line and confront them in person. Most dont like it.

Well bully for you then Clap  If you think I was being disrespectful of you, I will gladly post my games schedule.  I have an idea of the background information--I'll be at MWC2014 and I have NO opinion at all about the mass caber toss, other than, if you don't want to do it--don't.  That along with what I posted above--is my position.

whine  (hwīn, wīn)
v. whinedwhin·ingwhines
v.intr.
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining.
v.tr.
To utter with a whine.
n.
1. The act of whining.
2. A whining sound.
3. A complaint uttered in a plaintive tone.

You can also add other defining statements such as a"feeble peevish complaint"---I'd say that THIS is exactly why I used the word.  

Questions?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 12:39pm
Please send me your list. You just made mine.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 12:53pm
Alma-May 24 & 25

(Possible: Smokey Mountain-May 17-18)

Spring Lake-June 14

Gaylord-June 28

Saline (no official date yet--July)

Mich. Ren Fest/Or Kalamazoo--waiting on confirmations

MWC2014

Once I get the awaiting confirmations cleared up, I'll update you.

Questions?

Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 1:18pm
Do you have Insurance?

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 1:24pm
No need.  This is going to be fun.  If I'm reading this all correctly, you were bad-mouthing some guy who wants to pull a caber stunt.  I called it whining.  You said you were just looking out for us and challenged my definition of 'whining'.  You got your panties in a twist and now you have threatened me?

Cool.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 1:48pm
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 2:03pm
I'm just concerned with safety... You have a lot of games this season...
and I never threaten...
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Detroitpete Detroitpete wrote:

If you have questions about it--take those questions to the event coordinator--personally--like a man.  
I'm confused. Is that not what everyone here has done? It's not like anybody is going to fly overseas to have this discussion face to face when it can be addressed here.

Typing and bitching about ad infinitum possible permutations that 'may' happen via a webpage, does infact meet my definition of whining.

A guy broke his ankle last year in Costa Mesa, CA during a "World Record" attempt.

It's no longer a "may" when something has already happened.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

If you have questions about it--take those questions to the event coordinator--personally--like a man.  
I'm confused. Is that not what everyone here has done? It's not like anybody is going to fly overseas to have this discussion face to face when it can be addressed here.

Typing and bitching about ad infinitum possible permutations that 'may' happen via a webpage, does infact meet my definition of whining.

A guy broke his ankle last year in Costa Mesa, CA during a "World Record" attempt.

It's no longer a "may" when something has already happened.

Yes, we all know about the broken ankle.  How many other injuries were suffered last year by all other athletes during highland games competitions? He was on the field.  He was tossing a caber.  Shit can happen. Did someone put a gun to this man's head and order him to participate?

Why not have the discussion here?  Because pissing and moaning on an internet website instead of discussing an issue one-on-one is just more evidence of the pussification of men.  You don't have to go overseas--there are new technologies like phones and email that could accomplish this task.  Because hiding behind a screen is for teenage boys who live in their mom's basement.

Seriously--look just how jacked up this all is.  A difference in opinion about a voluntary hobby playing with circus weights and dead trees while wearing plaid skirts, has such an overwhelming level of importance that a 'man' here felt like he had only ONE acceptable and possible way to respond to such a flagrant violation of his ego, that he considers--then threatens another skirted tree-thrower (me) with assault?????

Seriously?  Damn--if this is THAT important in someone's life, I am only moved to pitty.  Maybe I'm old, but I was taught that men KNEW they had a pair and could have some responsibility for their own actions (deciding if they wanted to join in on a caber stunt--and the possible outcomes) or deal with simple differences of opinion without acting like someone raped their daughter. 

Come on guys--man the FFFFF up.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/14 at 5:33pm
I have no doubt I will regret touching this, but the absurdity of this thread is mindboggling.

Is this a not funny joke??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic