FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: RJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:48pm
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 3:31pm
got out to throw yesterday. tried to work really slowing down my cast in the wfd and opening my stance for braemar and really turning my left foot to open my hips and squaring to the trig. I did this with the open stone and was stoked that I threw everything over 40' (just over lol). not great numbers but practice progress for me - thanks Duncan for the advice at Pleasanton. lwfd was good on the first throw because I wasn't trying to throw far. immediately started sucking because I started trying to throw far. I switched over to hwfd and tried to really feel the positions and felt nothing! was thrown around the trig. numbers were on par for me but no progress. really getting irritated with the stagnation of my wfd. I've been told that pulling only when the ball is moving in the direction of the field doesn't build momentum and that pulling the ball down and tugging it to the field creates the momentum for bigger throws. I'm sure its a matter of preference as there is more than one way to skin a cat. I know I was shortening my arm while throwing the hwfd because my bicep was stressed after only a few throws. ultimately I am wanting to get the progress started back up.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 11:02pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uITs-XZBNSc&list=UURy-T0Y_1wTupdD0P7dPOQg

hopefully the above works. today was a sad day for wfd. not that i have many good days.  ive tried throwing in track cleats the past 2 days and both days my wfd have felt awful.  i think my feet are binding because im doing this weird hopping on my cast. any advice to help correct my issues is greatly appreciated.  again the bonus is my open stone braemar distance. 
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:29am
09/16/2014

zombie night- deadlifts @ midnight

warm up-

working set of 440 x 2r x 3s

365 x 3r x 6s

haven't done deads in a couple of weeks due to competitions. felt good last night at 12:30am the program is working so I am stoked. making progress is the part I love. also did some research on wfd, and, having seen what I need to retrain myself to do, I am hoping I can get my body to do as its told and establish some better technique to build from. practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes for improvement.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/14 at 10:36am
Fresno games were a great time and I was fortunate to compete against some great guys. it was a very relaxed and fun time. My heavy hammer is coming along, and I did sheaf for the 2nd time and cleared 20'. Carlos Borges gave me some good advice on how to clear 22' and the bag was easily 5' over but......... fell in front of the bar. very happy with that performance. learned some valuable tips in my wfd, now its a matter of implementing them and bringing my numbers up before next season.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/14 at 11:04am

its a beautiful morning (singing)

I realy need to start my workouts earlier :|  although I am feeling stronger even though when im lifting im practically asleep between sets. Pre-workout shmurkout, when I am awake its great lol

last night went as follows;

JM presses - 205 x 10 x 2

football bar incline bench -

50% x 8

60# x 8

70% x 6

80% x 5

85% x 3 x 4

65% AMRAP X 2

if the program looks familiar its because its Brandon lilly's "Cube Predator"

finished with BW dips x 13r x 3s.

Really pleased with how my training in the gym is coming along. i expect some good things this off season from my throwing as well. As Matt V. has said, if youre a thrower go throw! I have not been out throwing as is required to bring my abilitites up to par for my expectations. 

garcias machos borrachos
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/14 at 11:44pm
My year is over and I am glad with my performance overall. I really want to bring my weights up to a more competitive level so when I can I will be seeking professional help, to provide much needed direction to correct what needs to be corrected. Glory be to God for keeping me healthy and able bodied to compete and finish this season injury free. I look forward to throwing with new throwers next season and guys I have thrown with before. On a side note, my Pastor said he was asked to speak at a men's thing and they want to do a highland games thing. he asked me if I would help with that and I am stoked to be used by God however he sees fit. lastly I want to thank Steve Conway for the invite to Pleasanton and to Mark Robinson and his crew for keeping the SHA games running smoothly. I appreciate all the hard work everyone puts in.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/15 at 3:17pm
As the new year has started so has my training in the gym and on the field.  I have made progress in my HWFD.  I find the less i try the further I can throw lol. When I'm not trying to throw hard I focus on the feel of the weight and timing, but, when I throw it further than I expected to, I get excited and then throw like crap because my focus goes straight to throwing far and timing goes out of the window.  Anyways I'm using an Ed Coan template for lifting and loving it at the moment. Making some solid and steady gains and that's all I can ask for.  I plan to hit some bigger numbers this season than last and just keep progress progressing.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/15 at 11:44am
Been focusing on hwfd and it's showing improvement. I have constantly hit over 30' for the last few practices. Now my lwfd has taken a dump because I've been neglecting it. Oh well, just going to have to focus more on throwing at this point than lifting. Threw yesterday and it was a good day. Was hitting 40' Braemar style open stones. Overall, I'm happy with my progress and will do everything I can to keep it moving forward.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/15 at 1:55pm
Good work happening here...what does your Games schedule look like this season?
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/15 at 2:20pm
Probably the usual, start with bakersfield, modesto, monterey, hopefully pleasanton, then fresno. I really wanted to do some out of state this year but I just got a new job and while my boss is awesome, it is a small department. So, I'm going to butter them up so I can go out of state next year. I may try and do Sacramento as well. How about you? Pretty much plan on destroying all hope of winning for the rest of us?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/15 at 2:25pm
Sounds like a solid plan. I am now in the VERY frozen North, and won't have many Games until at least May.

But I'm like a bad penny...I just keep turning up.
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/15 at 3:27pm
i hope to throw with you again at Pleasanton this year. maybe this year ill book a room at the same hotel as all of the cool throwers lol
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/15 at 3:55pm
so........who knew increasing pressing power increases shot put distances. lol i should have stopped hating bench press a long time ago. Happy with how training has been going. im sure it seems laxadazacle to the other guys i throw with but im trying to focus hitting key points to change the bad behavior ive instilled into my muscle memory
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/15 at 10:44am
I've been consistently throwing 2-3' over my hwfd pr with a single turn. needless to say i am happy about that. now, my lwfd isn't progressing so this is a set back. it may have to do with that fact I've neglected it for hwfd. I guess I should show it some love. Well............things are coming a long better than this time last year in my training so no complaints here.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/15 at 11:37pm
competed in the sacramento games, and did very well for the start of my season.  im trying to replicate some of my throws. i just finished competing in modesto and nothing to mention about it other than i did not come prepared to throw. i won my class but it was a poor performance for sure. i really need to find some good standing shot put drills and possibly seek some pro advice on wob. on another note, i have been progressing in the gym and in my throwing, never mind today. back to the board to prepare for monterey and hopefully i get invited back to pleasanton this year. 
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:56am
had a few successful attempts at a full spin for open stone without falling on my butt.  then i started to think too much and it went to crap.  hook grip is literally ruining my thumbnail. i am surprised it hasnt popped off a this point. i picked up  stick of pinetar and am going to give it a try along with rock rosin. i have used some of the tacky that is available but im not the type to pile it on and i have found it is either too hard or ovelry soft and my grip doesnt feel "tacky".  B stone is coming along which i am excited about as well. cant wait for pleasanton. 
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/16 at 9:34pm
getting focused on throws training. working between 70-80hrs a week has been taxing my ability to throw as often as i would like.  im focused and plan to train and get my throws in better shape and be a better competitor for myself and competition. ill sleep when im dead i guess.  
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/16 at 12:33am
Got some throwing in today. craptacular to say the least. I'm trying to focus on smooth cast and quick feet. Not much of either happened. First time touching any throwing weights in 4 months. Oh well, keep pressing on.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/16 at 1:23pm
I have been having left knee pain while squatting. not sure why.  Haven't really been able to throw like i want to due to wet weather.  i did throw hammer the other day and focused on reaching as far back on rt side as possible. felt different but distances were good for this early in the year.  trying a pre-exhausting leg routine. im liking it. 

leg extension
bilateral - 2 sets x enough weight for 20 hard reps
unilateral 2 sets x enough weight for 20 hard reps

leg press
2 plates/side x 25 reps
3 plates/side x 25 reps
4 plates/side x 25 reps
5 plates/side x 20 reps
6 plates/side x 20 reps

leg extensions to finish
2 sets/leg x enough weight for 20 hard reps

left knee is feeling slightly better. cant think of anything that would have caused the pain.  trying to train smart so as to throw healthy and gain strength with minimal injury

Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/16 at 1:34pm
i think i am not waiting long enough when throwing the hwfd and ltwfd. going to try and wait longer next time a get a chance to throw.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/16 at 8:59pm
the start to this year has been not as i would have expected. i have been busy with church, work and family things. of course those come first but its still a bummer to miss training as much as i have.  i injured both of my knees carrying a 250lb man down a sketchy steep 15' long ramp. trying to let them heal before i get any imaging done.  life happens.  anywho ill try and get some form of throwing in before i compete in 2wks.  if things arent feeling right with my knees i may have to sit this season out, or most of it, and focus on rehabbing.  
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 9:56pm
well i throw officially this coming weekend. not sure how this is going to go but im going to find out.  since i busted my knees i havent been able to do any throwing. just been taking naproxen and trying to give it time.  
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/16 at 8:31pm
soooooo.......after injuring both knee's pretty good around Easter time and not being able to squat because of it was a huge downer.  ive still been getting all of my lifts in, ive just had to be crative as to how i can work my legs without keeping the injury ongoing.  i squatted last night and no pain!!!!! saweet! i had a really good hammer and stone practice this past weekend.  i was able to perform the rotating shot put without falling on my butt or being super off balance.  broke 100' with my heavy hammer. super stoked about that, just have to get it official in competition now.  im looking forward to this weekend in alb, nm.  i think its gonna be fun, humbling, and great oppotunity to learn some valuable tidbits to help myself become a better thrower.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/16 at 9:39pm
just saw a trailer for a new kickboxer movie. van damage is playing the role of the old asian trainer. it looks entertaining.  on a side note, i am becoming more comfortable with a full spin open stone. i have been hitting about 43-45'.  the other night i hit 49'.  making some changes in my training that i expect will yield some really good results. trying to keep up with you guys is no joke!  
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/16 at 9:29am
Isnt Hafthor in it?  He has been posting to facebook pictures of him from the set.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/16 at 12:42pm
I don't think Thor is in it. Bautista is the primary bad guy. George st Pierre and other mma fighters are in it as well. I know Brian shaw has a role in some movie coming out, not sure what the name is though
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/16 at 1:54pm
This is the pic he put up from Kickboxer Retaliation
Maybe I just spoiled the boss fight scene.....oops.....
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/16 at 7:22pm
awwww snap!  im def watching it now.  Tongue.  crush his head like GOT
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/17 at 10:12pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km3E1nJD1Fs

This is from this past Sunday.  I haven't practiced like I have wanted to, but, so far I'm throwing no worse than normal.  If anyone other than myself see this thread and this video and is wiling to offer some advice to help me become a more competitive thrower, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am going to try and be more diligent about staying current with this blog just for my own accountability 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic