FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

MWC2014 - Inverness Overview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yoder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 1:26pm
Good lord, I don't need a TV to see a soap opera.   Dead  If you were there, you know what the results were. If you have friends who were there, they have probably already shared their results with you via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, e-mail  etc., etc.  If neither of the aforementioned is true, why do you care so feckin' much?  I bet Kevin Rogers would like to enjoy his vacation, and I imagine Gerry Reynolds has other things to do. 
This culture of instant gratification is annoying. 
over and out.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Angusbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angusbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 1:33pm
Amen.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 1:56pm
I realize this may be a shock to people, but some people are actually fans of the Heavy Events.  Some people actually check the database at the beginning of every week and the board to see how games are going/have gone.

Clearly there are people in this thread that don't care about any games outside of their circle, but to condemn others for wanting to know the winners....lolreally? 

Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

The real amusement factor is people being pissy about someone actually caring who won.

This. 
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 2:25pm
b
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I realize this may be a shock to people, but some people are actually fans of the Heavy Events.    

www.sportkilt.com
Lance Creed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance Creed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 4:43pm
IMO Gerry's first mistake was to go away from the "Elephant" series of post titles.  Maybe change the title to "Incontinent Elephants Throwing in Adult Diapers" and start over? People LOVE those posts!

All joking aside, it was a hell of a good time in Inverness. Gerry put on a great event even if he let Dave Garman make the cabers - speaking of which Gerry forgot to mention that more cabers were broken in that 3 day span than in any games before or since. I am willing to put money that is a record too but Guinness didn't certify it for us. Otherwise great job by Gerry and his team.

I will also say Mike Dickens owes Chad Ullom a drink for beating the Dutch giant on caber. That spacer allowed Mike to come back with some great tosses and get the win.  Nobody was throwing particularly big numbers in our group, but Mike was solid all weekend and definitely earned that one.

For those who want how people placed: http://scottishmasters.org

I'm sure it will all be on NASGA soon.
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 5:59pm
I applaud Gerry for what he has done for us masters the 3 times the MWC have been in Scotland. It's a big undertaking. As far as I'm concerned he can get on whatever soapbox he wants to at this point. Because all MWC will be compared with this one. It use to be the 2003 Springfield MWC that most strived to be, which was a great game don't get me wrong. Thanks Gerry for all you did for my fellow Masters brothers. The results issue is not a big thing, most of us were getting updates through facebook anyway. I'm thinking that has been a more direct way lately for those kind of things. Good job Gerry sounds like everyone was welcomed with open arm and had a good time. 
john gallagher View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02, ’03, ’06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john gallagher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:20pm
Gerry certainly has NOT earned any friends with all the current bullshit he put out.  I think what is asked for is just to put up who won each age division.  Not hard, and certainly takes no more than 5 minutes of one's time.  Not every single mark and throw...That comes in the results section.  That is why it is there.  Of course EVERYONE knows that!  

But I do agree that this board has gone to shit.  Certainly not what it used to be by any stretch of the imagination.  #sad.
MSUM Throws Coach
4 NCAA National Champions
50 NCAA All-Americans
2001 & 2002 World Stone Put Champion

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 2:10am
Entire post deleted by K Rogers

Edited by K Rogers - 9/18/14 at 4:11am
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 2:59am
So just to confirm

A) I thought the summary of the 1-2-3's were contained within the 34 summary page of results Kevin posted.
B) I subsequently discovered they weren't and Kevin got them up as shortly afterwards. 
C) I am delighted that we managed to find something for folk to grumble about because clearly successfully staging the biggest Highland Games competition in history wasn't worthy of comment.

Moving on - if I may be permitted - we are now entering the debrief stage for this event and - and I have to look at what lessons can MWC2014 can give to myself and my team; and hopefully then pass on to any A.D.'s managing events on this scale in the future

One of the current weaknesses in the voluntary events sector - and I will include all Highland Games in the voluntary sector (for ease of discussion); as the vast majority around the world are run by volunteers;is that we - the organisers - have no system in place to provide each other with tips on how to improve. 

I note that the Heavies are getting better at informing each other about their training regimes - and of course there are loads of resources out there for folk wishing to improve themselves; but there is very little out there for us folks behind the scenes.

MWC2014 has certainly enabled me to learn a lot over the 3 years that I was working on the project; and it also gave myself and my colleagues a hell of a lot to think about during our delivery of it.

While it was not the biggest event that we have staged over here; it was certainly the most complex; and that can only be useful going forward. 

I have a list of heroes the size of which that you would not believe to thank; and each and everyone of them are now letting me know what THEY saw behind the scenes at MWC2014. 

We have been running a vibrant private Facebook Group for competitors at this event for over 2 years now and there has been a lot of good feedback coming in from that direction. Any heavies not on Facebook can always email me at the office if they wish to join in the process. (They can contact me at Email: gerry.reynolds@highland.gov.uk)

Once all that information is gathered; it will be sorted into what I hope will be a useful resource for North American A.D.'s to share in the future. If nothing else - it could serve as a warning.

Gerry

Edited by greynolds177 - 9/18/14 at 8:05am
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 8:09am
Originally posted by john gallagher john gallagher wrote:

Gerry certainly has NOT earned any friends with all the current bullshit he put out.  I think what is asked for is just to put up who won each age division.  Not hard, and certainly takes no more than 5 minutes of one's time.  Not every single mark and throw...That comes in the results section.  That is why it is there.  Of course EVERYONE knows that!  

But I do agree that this board has gone to shit.  Certainly not what it used to be by any stretch of the imagination.  #sad.

Hug
Don't give up on this Board. 

It would not be the same without you.... 
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Soul Eater Soul Eater wrote:

I applaud Gerry for what he has done for us masters the 3 times the MWC have been in Scotland. It's a big undertaking. As far as I'm concerned he can get on whatever soapbox he wants to at this point. Because all MWC will be compared with this one. It use to be the 2003 Springfield MWC that most strived to be, which was a great game don't get me wrong. Thanks Gerry for all you did for my fellow Masters brothers. The results issue is not a big thing, most of us were getting updates through facebook anyway. I'm thinking that has been a more direct way lately for those kind of things. Good job Gerry sounds like everyone was welcomed with open arm and had a good time. 

Thanks Soul Eater.

I really appreciate you rating MWC2014 so highly and your support

Personally I would have loved to have had a dedicated person pushing out results throughout the course of the MWC2014 for our readers in Her Majesty's Former Colonies but we simply did not have one available. (Why? It was all hands to the decks preparing for the Referendum) 

My role in the 48 hours after the event was to manage the deconstruction of the site and the return of everything to where it needed to be. 

That was a beast of a site to pack away and numerous tasks were in progress on Monday.

We finished in the dark on Sunday.... maybe I should have asked the team to work overnight so that we could post the results quicker... Wink
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Lance Creed Lance Creed wrote:

IMO Gerry's first mistake was to go away from the "Elephant" series of post titles.  Maybe change the title to "Incontinent Elephants Throwing in Adult Diapers" and start over? People LOVE those posts!

All joking aside, it was a hell of a good time in Inverness. Gerry put on a great event even if he let Dave Garman make the cabers - speaking of which Gerry forgot to mention that more cabers were broken in that 3 day span than in any games before or since. I am willing to put money that is a record too but Guinness didn't certify it for us. Otherwise great job by Gerry and his team.

I will also say Mike Dickens owes Chad Ullom a drink for beating the Dutch giant on caber. That spacer allowed Mike to come back with some great tosses and get the win.  Nobody was throwing particularly big numbers in our group, but Mike was solid all weekend and definitely earned that one.

Oh God! Lance called Big Tommy De Bruin of Belgium Dutch. have you any idea how many beers that is going to cost you. With regard to the cabers..... we had an interesting discussion behind the scenes regarding the challenges that you have providing cabers for MWC2014. The wide range of abilities between the Heavies attending an MWC is quite a challenge for A.D.'s. I would certainly recommend the use of Qualifying Cabers in the future for anyone trying to sort out a really large group. In many ways - it is the Caber version of the guys who sit out the WOB until it reaches 14 feet or more.   
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 8:34am
Thanks Tommy

(And an extra special thank you for the brilliant job you did getting the MWC equipment made in Belgium - especially all the new stuff for the Over 45 women.)

Gerry

McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:33am
Craig, don't try to put frosting on bullshit and tell us it's cake. You know damn well you and others on this board have been pissy about Gerry and the MWC (and masters and lightweights in general) for a while and this thread is more of the same. There is a certain group of people on here that act like a bunch of catty middle school girls whenever someone tries something they don't think is proper or cool to them. You got called out on your crap, now stop trying to walk back on it.
I hope this board doesn't continue its decent into becoming bunch of dudes pounding their chests, while trying to dislodge the stick from their asses, but frankly, I don't see that happening. Thank God for Facebook and other social media, because this board is useless anymore.

N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:46am
Originally posted by McBain1975 McBain1975 wrote:

Craig, don't try to put frosting on bullshit and tell us it's cake. You know damn well you and others on this board have been pissy about Gerry and the MWC (and masters and lightweights in general) for a while and this thread is more of the same. There is a certain group of people on here that act like a bunch of catty middle school girls whenever someone tries something they don't think is proper or cool to them. You got called out on your crap, now stop trying to walk back on it.
I hope this board doesn't continue its decent into becoming bunch of dudes pounding their chests, while trying to dislodge the stick from their asses, but frankly, I don't see that happening. Thank God for Facebook and other social media, because this board is useless anymore.

There's only one catty middle school girl in this conversation, Alice.

I'll let you in on another secret: there's nothing wrong with Lightweight or Masters throwers but the people who self-identify as Defenders Of The Realm Of Lightweights/Masters/Am C Championship/We're Just As Important As Everyone Else classes?

Yeah, those folks are douches.
McBain1975 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBain1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:50am
(post removed by me because it did not serve any usefulness)
N�l m� ag duine le daoine.
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:52am
I'm losing all hope...
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:54am

Sean, you have proven my point very well (as you consistently do). How can you even sit down with that stick up there?

Well, uptight IS how most people describe me...
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 10:38am

Craig, don't try to put frosting on bullshit and tell us it's cake.

You got called out on your crap, now stop trying to walk back on it.

loooooooool @ your description of what's happened in this thread.  Thumbs Up

Thank God for Facebook and other social media, because this board is useless anymore.

And yet, here you are. 

Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Well, uptight IS how most people describe me...

I know I do.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 10:50am
Craig is the best forum admin in the world.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

See?  Now we just need 2nd and 3rd best and then everyone's happy.
...Josh
Belgianthrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belgianthrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 12:35pm
Gerry and Lance I still have a Dutch passport so no worries.. That explains my hight.. Thank to my 6.3 Dutch mother..
www.highlandgamesfederatie.org
www.scottishfestival.be
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 12:36pm

You know damn well you and others on this board have been pissy about Gerry and the MWC (and masters and lightweights in general) 

I disagree Jeremy, I think your reading to much into this. I have thrown at a lot of Pro games (beside or next to) as an AM- Master and even judged a few. There are only a few Pro’s I consider friends or friendly. Weather that goes both ways I don’t know? But I honestly believe Craig is an ambassador to this sport regardless of class or ranking. He has always treated me and whole lot others under the tent as equals even though we don’t throw at the same level.  I am sure he has done the same for you, as have many others posting on this thread.  If you think this sport is turning sour you have not seen the other strength sports out there were everyone hates everyone. There is a lot of comradery left here, god knows I still like you and everyone that knows you knows that’s not easy LOL

With that said there is a lot of negativity on the board lately and it keeps me from coming back as much as I would like to. But I am still here looking at the results and rankings every week as pointed out earlier.

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

Lance Creed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance Creed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 6:51pm

Originally posted by Lance Creed Lance Creed wrote:

Oh God! Lance called Big Tommy De Bruin of Belgium Dutch. have you any idea how many beers that is going to cost you. With regard to the cabers..... we had an interesting discussion behind the scenes regarding the challenges that you have providing cabers for MWC2014. The wide range of abilities between the Heavies attending an MWC is quite a challenge for A.D.'s. I would certainly recommend the use of Qualifying Cabers in the future for anyone trying to sort out a really large group. In many ways - it is the Caber version of the guys who sit out the WOB until it reaches 14 feet or more.   

Eh I guess I messed that one up! Sorry about that Tommy!

I would say the main issue with the cabers was that a chainsaw was run down their sides instead of using a draw knife or similar instrument thus significantly altering their structure. There were many "thin" sections where the chainsaw obviously went a little deeper than it should have and I will bet that is where the majority broke.

For the record toss where you are probably only going to use them one time before turning them into firewood this is no big deal, but for competition purposes someone has to take their time and do it properly.

Otherwise great event. I don't want to sound negative overall, everyone had the time of their lives there.
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

See?  Now we just need 2nd and 3rd best and then everyone's happy.

^ This is why I keep coming back.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/14 at 7:02am
Funny, as a Masters athlete, as a former Light weight Athlete and US champion, As a guy who has championed both Divisions.... I have no issue with Craig at all. 

So I would just say in regards to the school girl stuff....Lighten up Francis. And if you don't like it here then just go away and not return. Seems pretty simple to me.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/14 at 11:29am
See what you did, McBain? You made BRIAN RANDELL the voice of reason.

NOW it's Bizarro World. Wink
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/14 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Belgianthrower Belgianthrower wrote:

Gerry and Kevin. I thank you for a great weekend. For my first Master Competition I had a great time. Met some nice people. You did a great job. Good organisation. Unfortunately I made some mistakes which cost me the title.. But Michael, See you in St Louis !! I am coming for you....

T.. 

I'm gonna get a fathead of this pic and put it on the wall at the warehouse.  I'm gonna need a bigger wall.
I'm also going to get a pic of Brent Miller, Dave Barron, KO, Chafin, etc.  There could be a whole lot of 40-44 beefcake romping around in St Louis next September

phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/14 at 3:31pm
You know, the funny thing about the route this thread took is that I considered starting a post for results.  But, with as many dismissive comments that have been made on this board about the MWC being an "everyone's a champion" event, I decided not to.

I will remedy that next year.

It was an amazing event.  There were many great competitions on the field over the three days, even if the numbers were not especially impressive.

A couple of notes:

I won the HW with a 47'1.5" throw.  Tommy had 47'1.25"
I won the LW with 69'4.75".  Tommy had 69'2"
Tommy won the HH with 87'2.5".  I had 86'6"  (Note: we were throwing up hill from a sloped trig, fwiw)
Tommy won WOB and I took 4th (or, maybe 3rd . . .)

Either way, after three days, it came down to the caber.  Awesome.

I know there were several other classes that had incredibly tight comps, as well.

Inverness, and Bught Park, were amazing. 

The job that Gerry, Kevin, and the whole crew did was amazing.  Especially considering the logistics.  I can't even fathom.

One last note:  there were a bunch of great people there.  Pete Hart commented several times that "these Masters competitions are a good bit of fun, aren't they?  Everyone having a good time and not getting too serious, even though the competition is good."

^ This
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic