Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Brandell Training Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brandell Training Log
    Posted: 3/26/15 at 9:49am
New Profile, New Log.

03/23

Front Squat   5x5 (*)
1 Leg press   5x5
Incline Bench 5x5

Assisted Dip 3x10
Triceps Ext. 3x10

(*) 5x5 will be working up to a max set of 5.

Edited by Brian Randell - 6/10/15 at 9:02am
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/15 at 9:51am
The lymph node(s) in my neck that flared up last Oct that my ENT thought might be cancer, has flared up again.  Biopsy at the time showed no lymphoma or cancer. But the fact it/they keep swelling up and going down he is going to remove them on April 9th (two weeks from today).  

ENT says I need two weeks off before lifting again.  We will see ...

Edited by Brian Randell - 3/26/15 at 1:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:22pm
With Surgery Thursday April 9th lifting the next 2 weeks on Sunday/Wednesday.

3/29
Front Squat 5x5
1 Leg Press 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Assisted Dips 5x10
Tricep ext 5x10

Going for a 30 min walk.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/15 at 8:28am
Lymphectomy or however the hell they say it, is tomorrow. Been cruising until surgery at Surgeons suggestion.  
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/15 at 8:32am
Had one taken out of the side of my neck once, turned out to be cat scratch fever, true story.  Trained later in the afternoon that day.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/15 at 10:52am
Doc says no heavy lifting for 2 weeks due to dissection of Muscle etc... ok so define "heavy". I will be smart about it, but getting traction in the gym, don't want it messed up.

My ENT is the same one that diagnosed my Grandmothers nasopharyngeal Cancer. Started same way that is why he isn't going to dick around with it.  My Grandmothers normal doc kept treating her for a damn ear infection for 9 Months THEN recommends the ENT.  By then it was game over.

Bottom line I get another cool scar out of the deal.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/15 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Brian Randell Brian Randell wrote:

Biopsy at the time showed no lymphoma or cancer.

Focusing on the positive.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/15 at 12:59pm
Thanks Tom. Hopefully its in and out and I can pull a Myles and hit the gym at least Friday lightly. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/15 at 9:56pm
Unfortunately no Gym time for awhile Myles.  ENT got in there and the lymph node was much worse off and larger than he expected and full of cancer.

Yes I said Cancer.  I have right now Grade II squamus cell cancer of that lymph node and my Right Tonsil which they took out as well

So that wasn't what I was wanting to hear.  POA is get in early next week and get a PET scan done and see where the origin of the Cancer is. I believe firmly it was the Tonsil. If so then its on to Oncology and Radiation treatment.

Even as I type this it feels like someone else. I am pissed and going to fight like hell. No way do I quit or let this crap kill me.

So Myles I will be back in the Gym at some point.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:33am
That sucks.  Glad you caught it early.  Good luck with treatment and recovery.

Al
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:50am
Hey Brian,

Crummy to hear, but glad you caught it early!

Lots of good research on value of exercise for cancer patients and cancer survivors. I don't have the references at hand right now, but find out the full reason behind any restrictions/limitations, respect the reasons, and keep up exercise!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:52am
FFFFF that. Fight it tooth and nail and keep lifting. The muscles will need the stimulus.

Lots of good thoughts and prayers, Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/15 at 2:32pm
T: I think its because he had to dissect muscle and disturb nerves etc to get in there and get it. Once inside he said the Node was about the size of a golf ball and much worse than he suspected. With me losing a tonsil as well that is normally a big down time its self.

I am going to the gym tomorrow and hit the bike a little then work around and see what I can do. Might just be 1-2 sets of 10 on things. I would imagine an increase in blood flow is great, but there is also a point it might not be so good as I am healing.

But yes I will go tomorrow and lightly see what I can do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:16pm

I have my PET scan tomorrow and I believe fully we got 100% of the Cancer when we cut out the lymph nodes and Tonsil.

Requesting Prayer that the PET scan comes back and says the same. I believe I am fully healed through Christ. ‪#‎byhisstripesIamhealed‬,‪#‎Iwalkinperfecthealth‬

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/15 at 2:06pm
PET scan is wonky. That said I am going to put this thing to bed for awhile. I have cancer to beat, sorry folks living, having a quality of life worth a shit afterward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Than throwing or lifting right now.  Working with Cancer Treatment Centers of America starting Tuesday. Not sure what the plan will be but this isn't going to kill me.

See you on the back side.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:08pm
You need anything, you say so.  Right?

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/15 at 9:23am
Praying in Alabama as hard as I can for you to beat this down.  I have an uncle who had this in his throat, he just got his 5 years clean report last month.  Your going to go down that same road and beat it.  It is so.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/15 at 9:48am

I have my PET scan tomorrow and I believe fully we got 100% of the Cancer when we cut out the lymph nodes and Tonsil.
Requesting Prayer that the PET scan comes back and says the same. I believe I am fully healed through Christ. ‪#‎byhisstripesIamhealed‬,‪#‎Iwalkinperfecthealth‬

PET scan is wonky. That said I am going to put this thing to bed for awhile. I have cancer to beat, sorry folks living, having a quality of life worth a shit afterward > Than throwing or lifting right now. 
Working with Cancer Treatment Centers of America starting Tuesday. Not sure what the plan will be but this isn't going to kill me.

Perhaps you should give Odin a talking to?  

Hate to hear it brother, but you're on top of this.  Keep us posted.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/15 at 5:24pm
Craig, Wonky = polite for I believe the moron doc that did the PET reading screwed it up. Says "The cancer in the tonsil is very clear" blah blah blah. Uh Assclown, there is no tonsil! It was taken out a week before. That type wonky.  CTCA is going to review it all. They went over to St. Johns and grabbed all the biopsy materials including that which hadn't been tested so they can go over it themselfs. Same with the PET imaging etc.

@ Tom and Myles, yep will update as there is anything to update and YES I am beating this. Just got to prioritize the fight over everything else. But that said Myles, I am going to ask them about some sort of lifting during treatments as I gotta believe doing something helps
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:20pm
Hoping for good news from the CTCA.  Stay strong Brian.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/15 at 8:14am
Thanks Al.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 1:13pm
Day 2 at CTCA.  It was actually stage IV cancer.  Seems when it escapes the tonsil its grade III, it infected 2 lymph nodes so now Grade IV.

Had two options. 30 radiation treatments (6 weeks) plus 3 chemo treatments. Option II, Radical Tonsillectomy plus Neck Dissection.  

I have taken option II. They will remove the tissue behind and around where the tonsil resided, a very small portion of the back of tongue where tonsil may have touched, part of the soft pallet and uvula. Then ALL lymph nodes on the right side of the neck. 6 Hour surgery.

With Tonsil Cancer, esp. HPV based both options have the exact same success rate. With all going on this was my best option. Only Daughter gets married June 20th, option #1 would have made that hell. This option I spend 2-3 days in Hospital, get MUCH better pain meds than this last time and I should be back to work in 2 weeks.

Doc says no lifting over a Milk jug in weight for 1 Month due to all the hacking he has to do.  That said if all goes well, Chains are off in 30 days. 

I am man enough to say the radiation worried me. I almost hit the floor when they said it was really Stage IV.  

So Surgery May 11th. Going to see if I can get in at least 3 workouts before then :-)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 1:33pm
That's a big steaming pile of news, but at least there is a plan.  Let us know which hospital so we can send strippers cards.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 1:46pm
Good plan Brian...Stay strong!!  Positive thoughts coming your way!!
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:28pm
Hey Brian,keep your chin up and stay positive( that can go along way!)... On the tnation training log forum there was a guy who was recovering from stomach cancer and was working on workout program with 5/3/1 and his limitations( have it on my work computer as I was corresponding with him for my son but thinking his name was Panzer,panzerfest or something similar...will try and look it up at work and send you the link). Prayers and thoughts from New York
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:52pm
Thanks all.  Doc says nothing over 10lbs for a month because he is really taking  a ton of tissue and body needs to focus on recovery.

@ Tom, yeah it has been two days non stop out there, but now there is a plan.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/15 at 9:39pm
PM sent w/the tnation link...once again thoughts and prayer from NY
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/15 at 11:04am
Had already shared with Craig so I thought I would go ahead and update.

I went down to Iron Thistle and hung out half the day with my son and tons of friends from the games. While there it really hit me, Two bad knees that will need to be replaced, The spondy / Disc issues that have now made me modify lifting possibly forever and now Cancer.

My body has, and will, have taken such a beating I won't be "me" out there possibly ever again. I am also 46 not 26. The Cancer has really made me re evaluate my life. It has helped me love my wife even more, brought me closer to God, made the real stuff that matters stand out and become clear. As soon as possible I want to get to lifting/Working out again but with overall strength and health as the goal, not setting certain rep maxes or throwing in mind.

MANY of my friends are from the Highland games and I thank God it came into my life, I love the throwing, but I think I love the people I have met even more. I am a damn good judge, I know the ins' and outs of the game, maybe there are other ways I can contribute and still be involved.

But, I think its time to get a grip on reality. I do want to throw Tulsa or McPherson with my son, partially as a huge double middle finger and SCREW YOU to Cancer, But I can end my career and go out my way and on my terms.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/15 at 8:39am
Anesthesia, Pre op and Advanced directive on Thursday.  Monday is surgery. 6 hours planned, 2-3 days in hospital, feeding tube through nose for 7-14 days depending on how swallowing is going. 2-3 weeks off work.

Told not to lift more than a milk jug for 1 month due to all the cutting, healing, re construction going on in the neck and throat.

Surgery is at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa Ok.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/15 at 8:51am
Good luck sir. 

May the gods smile upon you.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic