Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

WFH records?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WFH records?
    Posted: 5/04/15 at 3:03pm
As I prepare for Lehi 2015, I anticipate several of the LW Records falling. To this end I want to have all of my ducks in line.

It has come to my attention that there might be a procedural anomaly that could determine whether certain WFH records count.

My question is;

Athlete A enters the WFH competition STANDING and proceeds to set a new LW Standing WFH Record. He then decides to SPIN and sets a new LW Spinning WFH Record.

Is there any reason that both records would not be counted? All other record verification processes aside.

Would multiple athletes, in the same LW division, breaking the current LW STANDING & SPINNING WFH Records have any bearing on which records ultimately counted?

Personally, I don't see why each record wouldn't count (again, all other verification processes aside). So if there's something I'm overlooking please educate me.

Thanks everyone,
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 3:18pm
They would both count imo.
Khruel View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khruel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 3:24pm
When it comes to the games, culture and tradition take precedence over logic and reason.  You'll get a variety of answers here.

However... the standing record and spinning record should count as a world record if broken in the same competition by the same person.  If the throw cleared the record height in a competition; then the athlete decides to change their technique and continue at other heights, it's not like their throw went away.

ewhite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 3:26pm
Both competition throws count in my opinion.  I'm not a fan of the spin, I don't think we should have it at all but that's an entirely different conversation.
------------------------------
Eric "The Raging Kilt" White
Texas Celtic Athletic Association
Primo
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 4:48pm
I agree that they both should count. Why is it that the pro class has been playing by a different rule though. Me and other people have been told that qualifying for Celtic you only will get credit for the technique you cleared your last hight with. For example if you clear 16 standing and switch to the spin and clear 17, you would only get credit for a 17 spin but not the 16 stand in the rankings. This never made any sense to me. But hey, we have other BS made up rules so I just went with it
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 4:51pm
Celtic only counts standing wob for pros right? So right off the bat- you know what to do. STAND
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 5:01pm
I do stand. That isn't the question.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
mcrwnhrt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcrwnhrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 5:04pm
If athlete set the standing record then continued in the competition switching to the spin technique, set record for spin, they should both count. 
Michelle Crownhart
mcrwnhrt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcrwnhrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 5:06pm
I'm not taking Pro rules into affect with my accessment.
Michelle Crownhart
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 5:10pm
My bad. Thought you were commenting on the Celtic qualifying throws.    Yes both should count if people still count
JUST BRING IT /

The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

They would both count imo.

I'm with Craig on this one.
ewhite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 6:34pm

Edited by ewhite - 5/04/15 at 8:27pm
------------------------------
Eric "The Raging Kilt" White
Texas Celtic Athletic Association
Primo
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 6:56pm
The athlete should get credit for both. Seems reasonable.
Khruel View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khruel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 7:47pm
This could end up creating 3 world records.  1 world record for standing 1 world record for spinning and 1 world record for breaking the most world records in 1 event.
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 11:14pm
That's why I'm trying this case in the court of public opinion Duncan :D
I want all these kinks worked out before game day.

What could be really interesting is the likelihood of a 3-4 way tie for the standing LW Record. If everyone stands & clears the 17'8 or 9" then we would be required (3 or more still in) to go to 18' 8 or 9". I'm sure they will have to spin from there & so 1 or 2 fall & smaller raises can be made but that wouldn't change the fact that a,b,& C all broke the record.

It's looking like no matter how well I prepare there will still be the element of mind games & strategy to play out among the Athletes.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 11:23pm
That is fine. Have you cleared the spin with the AD? It usually at the discreation(sp) of the AD(ie; safety issues,size of field,honoring tradition of the stand)
JUST BRING IT /

Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 11:36pm
I am the AD in Utah :)

The current & previous Spinning WFH WR have been set here in Lehi by Dan & Dave while Jeff & Gordon were running the Games. It's a tradition I'm proud to uphold.

You should come out & throw with us sometime DWood, I'm opening up & including the women's masters this year.

On top of breaking hearts & records we also crown the National Sheaf Toss Champion every year.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 11:42pm
Gotcha. Didn't know you were the AD. Good luck-always nice when athletes set records at games u AD..
JUST BRING IT /

DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/15 at 4:41am
National Sheaf Champion- D.Wood.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/15 at 11:23pm
QC games allows spinning and when it first hosted LW Nationals, the tradition of the championship and highland games dictated that it remain a standing event.  However, I allowed the winner of the contest, Jeff Thornton,  who was still in competition to spin until he had three misses.  He went immediately to the long standing LW WOB spinning record and broke it. 

That record still stands.  So almost that exact situation has occurred in the past.

BTW, if an men's, women's or LW record fall at one of my games, I have always thought it deserve something more than a line on a web page ........

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
DaneGarreau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaneGarreau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

QC games allows spinning and when it first hosted LW Nationals, the tradition of the championship and highland games dictated that it remain a standing event.  However, I allowed the winner of the contest, Jeff Thornton,  who was still in competition to spin until he had three misses.  He went immediately to the long standing LW WOB spinning record and broke it. 

That record still stands.  So almost that exact situation has occurred in the past.

BTW, if an men's, women's or LW record fall at one of my games, I have always thought it deserve something more than a line on a web page ........

That is awesome!
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 12:46pm
Super! They're beautiful!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 2:41pm
Both count.
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/15 at 9:52pm
Thanks everyone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic