Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:42am

7/28/2015

Dynamic warm ups, sprints, jumps

HWFD

1. One turns x 5

2. Full throws x 10

Stone (all done w/ light stone)

1. Wrist flips x 5

2. Staggered 2 foot forward throw x 5

3. 2 foot forward throw with feet even x 5

4. Braemar style front's x 5

5. A-Drill

6. Full Throws x 10

HWFD continues to  be a really tough event for me! Its just going to take tons of practice and working on feeling it out. On the other hand, probably the best day of stone throwing I have had thus far. That is definitely encouraging! Just getting more reps and  working on the skill.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:43am

7/29/2015

Dynamic Warm up, sprints, jumps

Sheaf

1. Bottom drills x 5

2. Full throws x 10

...The plan at this point was to throw hammer. It had started raining pretty decently unfortunately, so I changed course a little. Throwing hammer is moderately sketchy to begin with for me... adding a wet handle just didn't seem like a great idea. Additionally, looks like I may be having a little boot problem. So I decided that I would just do a light stone session. I have just started bringing stone equipment with me all the time. This at least gives me a back up in the (somewhat likely) occasion that I have some other type of equipment malfunction.

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5

2. 2 foot forward throw (hips even) x 5

3. Braemar (w/ heavy stone) x 5

4. Full throws x 5

Sheaf was definitely feeling pretty solid! I was a little tougher in the rain, but not a big problem. Stone on the other hand, just didn't have the same pop. No shocker throwing it multiple days in a row. Just accumulating some work and heading in the right direction. Really enjoying the challenge.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:48am

7/30/2015

1. Depth Jumps --- 3 x 2

2A. DE Squats

--- Box, straight bar, 80 lb chain

8 x 2 @ 300

2B. McGill Pullups --- 6 doubles mixed in throughout jumps and squats

3A. Dumbbell Incline

4 x 6 @ 85's

3B. Cable Row --- 4 x 10 with varied grips

4A. TRX Facepulls - x 10-12

4B. TRX Triceps extension - x 10

4C. DB hammer curls - x 8

4D. Single Arm Farmer walk

----repeated this circle four times through

Great training day. Got plenty of volume in on the squats. Surprisingly, pullups have been feeling strong. Normally a little weight gain will slow down my pullup progress, but not so currently. I was feeling pretty good, so pushed the volume on accessories with some stuff that has been neglected lately. Typically, I try to maintain a relatively high volume of accessory work. With throwing and training so frequently, I have missed days. Missed may be the wrong word. If I am feeling beat up, I am not going to worry about hitting up hammer curlz and I'll save it for the next day. But when I'm feeling good, I'm going to hit it hard!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:48am
7/31/2015

Dynamic warm up

sprints, jumps

HWFD

1. One Turns x 5

2. Full Throws x 10

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5 (light)

2. 2-foot forward throws, feet even x 5 (light)

3. Knee down throws x 5 (light)

4. Braemar's x 5 (heavy)

5. Full throws x 5 (light)

Decent day of throwing overall. HWFD felt tough... per usual... I had a couple throws that felt smooth (for me currently), but those good feeling throws are fleeting at time! Stone felt solid. Nothing out of this world, but felt consistent. Distances were consistent as well. Getting close and really looking forward to actually competing!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 7:23pm

8/3/2015

1A. Squat

---Heavy day, knee wraps

365 x 1 @ 5-6

405 x 1 @ 7

435 x 1 @ 8

1B. Band Pull apart --- 4 x 8

2A. Bench @ 85%

2 x 1 @ 270

Shoulder traction

Thermometer in the storage unit was about 102. I was pretty cashed by the time I got to bench. Looking back at the squat, I wish that I would have taken an intermediate jump to 420 or so and then 440-445. 435 moved really easily, but during the session I was debating a jump or a drop set. Competing in powerlifting, there would have been no question. I'm still working out how best to prepare for a games. By the time bench rolled around, I was low on motivation and energy. Still got in the bare minimum prescribed reps, but obviously the volume was a little lacking. Goal is to put in lots of throwing volume this week!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 11:15am
Looks like I missed getting a few training days logged. Not a whole lot exciting, just a lot of throwing leading up to the games in Topeka on 8/15. Here is my write up from my first competition!

On Saturday 8/15, Lee Schroeder and I competed in our first highland games. The competition was held  in Topeka, KS. We both competed in C-Class. Had a great time along with some successes (and some fails). Here is how things shook out:

22# Braemar – Things started off relatively well here. First throw was nice and smooth… and not a scratch. That was pretty much my goal on the initial throw of the day. Second throw I just couldn’t get a good feel for the stone and ended up with a little shorter throw. Final throw was my best, finishing up with a throw of 30’ 1”. This earned me second place to Lee (…just watch the trend here)… Overall, I felt pretty good about this event and was looking forward to the open stone which had been going well in training.

16# Open Stone – Started off with a stand throw to make sure that I got a legal throw in. Managed to do that, but the distance was far from spectacular. Used the glide on my second throw and managed to trip out over the trig. Frustrating as this has happened rarely in practice. Just attempting to move too fast and got a little over zealous and careless. Managed to get a legal throw in on my third, distance 32’ 10”. Disappointed in this effort, but just need to nail the technique down further. There is plenty more distance to be had here. Third place.

With both stones, I need to work on blocking hard and keeping the chest up. I have a tendency to drop the chest. I'm not tall enough to give away any distance like that!

Heavy Hammer – Not quite the traditional order here, but there were some issues with the standards and athletes bunching up, so we just made the best of it. Not a big deal. As far as the event itself…  it started off feeling pretty bad and awkward. I couldn’t maintain decent technique decent and as a result, rotations were feeling slow. I did manage to get three legal throws in with the third being the best by a few feet. Each throw felt better than the previous. Final throw was 60’ 9”. Second place (to Lee).

Feel like I made a beginner mistake here. I didn’t take enough warm up winds. Normally in practice I take a few sets of winds, followed by one turns. This probably won’t be realistic at most games, so I’ll need to take that into consideration during training. At least taking a few more sets of winds would have been a good idea. Lesson learned.

Light Hammer – Feeling better after getting in some reps with the heavy hammer. I did notice that I was coming forward a little bit and my technique wasn’t totally sound, but still managed to throw pretty well. Got a throw of 88’2” in. Good enough for second… you guessed it… to Lee!

WOB – I had taken 1 practice throw in this event prior to the games… and it broke my homemade implement soo…. This was pretty much a toss- up (which I guess is fitting for this event…). Managed to clear 11’, with a few close misses at 12’. I call it a success, primarily because I manage to avoid decapitating and/or maiming myself while throwing a 56 pound chunk of steel over head. Second… yup… to Lee.

Sheaf – While I have take some throws with my homemade ‘sheaf’ and standard fork, the set up at the games is really quite different. Also, I haven’t thrown with standards. I was hoping that my practice would transfer over. I’m not sure how much it really did. I can tell you one thing, no accuracy at all! Only managed to clear 16’… which put me solidly in 5th (last) for this event…

Heavy Weight for Distance – Things had been progressing along nicely in training for weight throws until I tore my hand up pretty solid a little over 1 week out. This kept me from really doing any training towards the end, but really I was just concerned how my hand would hold up. I feel that I had plenty of practice regardless of the hand issue, but my technique just didn’t hold together well. I was all over the place and ended most of my throws very closed off, limiting my distance big time. All distances well below what I have been hitting in training. Best throw of only 16’10”.

Light Weight for Distance – Much of the same here. Again, sloppy technique and throws well under what I had been hitting in training. Best throw of 36’ 3”.

Caber – Rounded the day out with probably the most recognizable highland event. Not an easy event to practice for, but thankfully, I had the chance to practice some at Lee’s house earlier this summer. That session really did make a significant difference with my comfort level getting started. Managed to turn the qualifying caber (12:00) and earn the opportunity to attempt the larger one. We stepped it off at about 18.5’, but not sure on exact weight or height. I was able to pick the caber each time and I got 2 solid runs, but didn’t quite get all the way through to the throw. Really I was pretty satisfied with this due to the nature of the event and how practice can be a little limited.

Overall, I ended up in second place to Lee. Had some high points and some low points. Definitely have a few things to work on. I will continue to work strength much as I have been. Refinement of technique will also continue to be a huge priority. Other thoughts/additions as follows:

1. More conditioning and aerobic work. Exactly how this will look, I’m not sure. I do know that getting both some low intensity cardio and higher intensity stuff in weekly will be good for my health and can be done in a way to not impact strength. Also, it’s a long day out in the sun, so being in better shape won’t hurt!
  2. Looking back at my training program, it was a little deficient in single leg work. This is something that I normally include. Keeps me moving well and is important as you spend plenty of time on one leg in highland games.
  3. More overhead press work will also be more prevalent in my training. I’ll probably drop a bench day in favor of an overhead day. This typically has a good carry over to my bench anyways.

I really enjoyed my first games and look forward to more competitions. Planning to compete in the McPherson Games on Sept 25. Lots of work to put in prior to that! Congrats to Lee on his dominating first place finishes at both Iowa’s Strongest Man and the Topeka Highland Games.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:33pm
8/19/2015

1A. Squat with 1 count pause just above parallel

---Light day

275 x 3 @6-7

295 x 3 @ 7

15 x 3 @ 7.5

335 x 3 @ 7.5-8

345 x 3 @ 8

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 4 x 10

2A. Bench @ 80%

3 x 3 @ 255

2B. Single Leg DB RDL's

Solid day of training. I picked up this squat variation (I believe) from Bryce Lewis. In my squat, I build tension through the eccentric and sort of rebound out of the hole. Pausing above parallel on the concentric really took this advantage away from me. These type of variations are typically the best to build my squat. We will see how things shake out after this microcycle wraps up. Bench went well. Just standard percentage work getting weekly volume in.

I had to take a couple days off from training after competition. I must have strained my trap on Saturday, because it was pretty locked down. I attempted to throw on Monday... but my trap just started cramping/spasming, so that was obviously a no-go. During this session, it felt pretty decent - just a little sore. Progressing forward!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:35pm

8/20/2015 (Morning session)

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5

2. 2 Foot forward thows (feet even) x 5

3. Left Knee down drill x 5

4. Braemar's with heavy stone x 5 (remainder of throws w/ lighter stone)

5. Open throws (glide) x 5

Light Hammer

1. One turns x 5

2. Full Throws x 8

Awesome weather today! Had a little August "cold" spell come through. Temperatures were in the 60's this morning while I was throwing. Can't ask for more than that. Open stone felt great today. Honestly, probably the best it has felt. I focused on being patient out of the back and keeping my shoulders back. Probably not the best technical terms here, but I'm still learning. Regardless... Really happy with how this felt. On to the hammer - excited to get the chance to bust out my new toy - a light hammer from Landrich Power Systems. Throws felt decent, but definitely not the best. Just didn't have the 'pop' I typically do and was a little worn out by the end of the session. I cut this session just a couple throws short. Trying to stick with 'quality' rather than quantity. I need to get some videos together to review to see what corrections are needed.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:49am
8/21/2015

1. Seated Box Jumps --- 3 x 2

2A. DE Box Squats (Week 1 of Wave)

--- Safety Squat Bar

--- 80 lb chain

2 x 2 @ 225

2 x 6 @ 245

2B. McGill Pullups --- 6 doubles, varied grips

3A. Military Press

95 x 6

105 x 6

115 x 6

120 x 6

3B. Lat Pull Down

--- Wide, Neutral Grip

4 x 10-15

4A. Overhead KB Waiter Walks -- 2 Trips each side

4B. TRX Facepulls --- 2 x 12-15

5A. DB Hammer Curls --- 2 x 10-12

5B. Ab Wheel Roll out --- 2 x 8

Band ankle, hip, shoulder traction

Squats went well. Dropped the box about 1/2"-3/4". This is the first week of the wave so the goal is to get plenty of volume in. When just training for strength/powerlifting I like to push the volume to 10-12 doubles. I cut down the volume a little as I get plenty of dynamic style movements throughout the week with throwing.

Keeping with my goals for this phase, I started in with some military press. This was a rough hit to the ego no doubt, but I want to make sure I don't hit any major grinders, etc. I will continue to work to add volume here. In the past, my military press has increased more with volume rather than high intensity. When my military press increases, this does tend to carry over to my raw bench. We will see how this translates to throwing. Finished up with some good work on accessories!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:56am
8/22/2015

Started with 30 minutes of steady state cardio. Split this between a treadmill, eliptical, and Concept 2 Rower. I switch about every 1o minutes. The sole reason for that is that steady state cardio is pretty much the most boring things of all time. 

Did some quick pairs to finish up: 

1A. Facepulls - 4 sets

1B. Dumbbell triceps extensions - 4 sets

2A. Dumbell rear delt fly - 4 sets

2B. Stir the pot - 4 sets

Finished up with some band distraction.

Just a boring, quick session before work. Another step towards fulfilling my goal of getting more cardio work in during this phase. Had to hustle off to work...

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 2:58pm

8/23/2015

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5

2. 2 Foot forward throws x 5

3. Left Knee Down drill x 5

4. Braemar's x 5 (with heavy stone)

5. Open throws x 8-10

Hammer

1. One Turns x 5

2. Full Throws x 5

I focused on staying back in the stone. This was a good change and stone really felt great. The other important big mistake that I make consistently is finishing with my chest down. This will be the next focus. Trying to change things somewhat slowly rather than all at once. Hammer on the other hand...slow...blah....

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 2:59pm
8/24/2015

I didn't write down every thing from this session, so the details may be a little off. This should be the majority of it though.

Stone

1. Wrist flips x 5

2. 2 foot forward throw x 5

3. L Knee down (using heavy stone) x 5

4. Braemar's x 5

5. Open throws x 8

HWFD

1. One turns x 5

2. Full Throws x 5

3. ....quietly weeping....about 5 minutes....

Still doing better at being patient and keeping my shoulders back in the stone. I need to work on getting a good solid block with the left leg as well. Any one have suggestions on a good drill to help improve this? I think that I'll probably sub a different drill in for the "2 foot foward throw." It is a decent warm up, but I'm not sure it really improves my technique in any way. It may actually sort of encourage a softer block position.

HWFD... yikes.... I haven't thrown it at all since the competition on account of my hand. My hand is getting better and I got a glove to help protect the healing area. But this session was just pitiful. I was all over the place. Slow. Weight didn't go anywhere. Lots to work on here. Hammers and weights will need to be my primary focus up until McPherson.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 3:32pm
8/25/2015

1A. Squat - pause just above parallel

--- Moderate day

365 x 3 @ 8

365 x 2 @ 7.5

365 x 2 @ 8-8.5

1B. Band Rows --- 4 x 10

2A. Bench @ 70%

4 x 3 @ 225

2B. Band Good Mornings --- 3 x 10

Pleased with how squats went. Still room to work up for next week during my heavy week. This is a good position for me to be in. I am satisfied with this movement and I think that it will probably stay in the rotation.

Bench was just a matter of putting the work in. Nothing too exciting.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 3:54pm

8/26/2015

1A. Snatch Grip DL

---Heavy day

405 x 2 @ 8.5

420 x 2 @ 9

365 x 2 @ 7

365 x 2 @ 7.5

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 4 x 10

2A. Close Grip Bench

--- 3 count eccentric, 1 count pause on chest

--- Light day

210 x 3 @ 6-7

225 x 3 @ 7.5-8

225 x 3 @ 8

225 x 3 @ 8.5

2B. Reverse Goblet Lunge

3 x 6

3. Bird Dogs --- 10 second holds x 6 each side

Really feeling like strength is moving along great. Especially considering that I squatted about 12 hours before this session. I'm not sure that I will continue this bench movement. I think that it will be a good muscle builder, but not necessarily a great strength builder. Will likely become more of an accessory movement know rather than a main movement. I had forgotten about reverse goblet lunge. It is a great accessory movement and I'll continue it forward. I like the movement for a few reasons:

• It is a single leg movement. I feel that single leg movements have many benefits and have been trying to include more in my training
  • You must stay upright. If you lean forward too much, you'll drop the dumbbell. This takes strain off the lower back and encourages hip mobility.
  • Doesn't beat up the elbows and wrists like a straight bar can. Lunges can be a longer set and holding that position hurts my elbows. Totally not worth it for accessory movements...
  • Forward lunges hurt my knees... reverse lunges, not at all. Not really sure why, but regardless, I don't do forward lunges at all.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/15 at 8:53pm

Heavy Weight for Distance

1. One Turns x 5

2. Full Throws x 5-6

Weight for Height

Light Hammer

1. One Winds x 5

2. Full Throws x 8-10

WFD did feel better today. Hopefully, it continues to improve with more practice. This event is just brutal for me. 56 pounds is heavy haha! Coupled with poor technique...well this is a tough deal haha.

The primary PR was not breaking the implement throwing weight for height. Made some changes to the homemade implement.... and it held up haha!

Hammer was ok...but felt a little slow. Need to continue to work on technique and improve.

TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/15 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by AndrewK51 AndrewK51 wrote:

This event is just brutal for me. 56 pounds is heavy haha! Coupled with poor technique...well this is a tough deal haha.

It took me a long, long time before the weight no longer threw me.  I'm still not particularly good at it, but the biggest thing for me for 56#WFD and 56#WOB was just getting over the fear of it.

It'll come.  Just keep putting in the reps.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/15 at 8:15am
Thanks Tom!
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/15 at 6:48am
8/28/2015

1. Seated Box Jumps --- 4 x 2

2A. Box Squat

--- Safety squat bar w/ 80 lb chain

8 x 2 @ 265

2B. McGill Pullups --- 6 doubles worked in throughout squat warm ups

3A. Military Press

115 x 6

3 x 6 @ 125

3B. Wide Neutral Grip Pull downs --- 4 x 15

4A. TRX Face pulls --- 3 x 12-15

4B. Overhand band Triceps extensions --- 3 x 20

5A. Hammer Curls --- 3 x 10

5B. KB Waiter Walks --- 3 trips each side

Finished up with shoulder and hip traction and some bar hangs

When I changed from competing in multiply powerlifting to focusing on highland games earlier this summer, I felt that I needed to add more explosive/acceleration work. I have primarily done this just one day per training week. The main methods I have used area box jumps and speed squats. I have also tried to do various jumps and some short sprints in my warm ups for throwing. Speed and acceleration have been a strength of mine typically when lifting, so it was not something that I focused on. I also feel that speed, for me, was never my limiting factor in multiply so it was  not a large focus. I have enjoyed getting jumps and speed squats back in. Jumps have really been progressing well.

The other important part of this day is getting a ton of accessory volume in. Goals of this is to add a little muscle and help prevent injuries.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/15 at 7:03am
8/29/2015

Met up with Scott on Saturday and got a bunch of throwing in. I don't remember the exact amounts, but we did:

• Sheaf
  • Stones
  • Light weight for distance
  • Light hammer

Tons of throwing. Really appreciate the advice and feel like I definitely took home some things to change that will make me better. Working on continuing to hone the skills. Obviously a long process, but I am always grateful for any help I can get.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/15 at 4:45am

8/30/2015

Heavy Weight For Distance

1. One Turn x 5

2. Full Throws x 5

Light Weight for Distance

1. Full Throws x 5

Light Hammer

1. One Winds x 5

2. Full Throws x 5

Weight still feeling pretty rough. Just going to keep working the reps. Hammer was feeling much, much better after implementing some tips from Saturday. Also, hand is pretty much healed up and back to normal.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/15 at 5:08am

8/31/2015

1A. Squat with pause above parallel

--- Heavy day

405 x 2 @ RPE 9-9.5

2 x 2 @ 370 -- RPE 8-9

1B. Band Rows --- 5 x 10

2A. Bench @ 80%

3 x 3 @ 255

2B. Band Good Mornings --- 4 x 12

3. Half Kneeling Pallof Press --- 3 x 10 each side

https://youtu.be/daqBRjkFwk8 -- Mike Robertson w/ an example

4. Various curls, extensions, plate raises, etc for a few sets of high reps

Finished up with 'couch stretch' on the bench and some pec and shoulder stretches.

Pumped about the squat for sure. It is progressing along well. On the first rep of 405, the pause was a little sloppy, but the second rep was nice and crisp. I think that this variation is definitely a good one, but I'll probably add it in during accumulation/higher rep phases in the future.

For the most part, the rest of the training day was pretty standard. I did get plenty of accessory volume in. Starting this week I will transition to 2 lifting days per week. With less frequent training, it is important that I don't skip out on the basic volume each session. The half kneeling stuff is a good variation to add that I frequently forget about. Mike Robertson has tons of great info on his website for free. With throwing so much, I haven't worried much about core work for the past few months. Over the winter/off-season, I will work up a more consistent and well thought out plan to make sure my 'core' bases are covered.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/15 at 5:13pm
9/1/2015

Dynamic warm up

Jumps/bounds

Stone

1. Wrist flips x 5

2. Blocking drill throws x 5.... not sure what to call them... something I saw on the YewTubez. Must be legit right?

4. Braemar's (w/ lighter stone) x 5

5. Open Throws x 5

Light Hammer

Warm up winds

1. One Turns x 5

2. Full throws x 8

Pretty good day of throwing. Stones felt pretty solid. I need to find a little heavier stone to get a little better feel for things. The stone I use for light practice is about 13-14 pounds. Just a little bit off, but enough to probably make a little difference. Hammer felt ok, but not great. I was getting a little worn out by the end of the session. When form started to deteriorate, I called it.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 8:34pm
9/2/2015

Dynamic Warm up

Light Weight for Distance

1. One Turns x 5
  2. Full Throws x 8-10

Light Hammer

1. One Wind x 3
  2. Full Throw x 5

Still trying to work out the form on weight for distance. I know it will be a long term project, but I'm still impatient. Things did feel somewhat better today, but just very inconsistent. By the time hammer came around, I was pretty much worn out. I'll blame it on not eating hardly anything during the day up until training. I had some meetings and stuff come up, but that's no excuse. Need to be better about that. Games is coming up quick and I'm looking forward to improving on my numbers and competing again!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/15 at 8:47am
9/3/2015

1A. Snatch Grip DL

---Light Day

350 x 3 @7-7.5

350 x 3 @ 7.5

350 x 3 @ 7.5-8

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 5 x 10

2A. Close Grip Bench

---3 count eccentric, 1 count pause

---Moderate Day

225 x 3 @ 7-7.5

235 x 3 @ 8

235 x 2 @ 7-7.5

235 x 2 @ 7.5

2B. Reverse Goblet Lunge --- 4 x 6

3. Bird Dogs --- 10 second holds, six holds per side

Finished up with some couch stretch and shoulder band traction.

Was feeling really sluggish for some reason going in to the gym. Once things got moving, I started moving better. Weights moved decently, but nothing earth shattering here. This is the last day for this microcycle... and I've got to say.... somewhat glad to be done with these movements for a little while!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/15 at 4:38am
9/5/2015

Dynamic Warm up

Sprints and Jump

1. Weight For Height x 5

Heavy Weight For Distance

1. One Turns x 3

2. Full Throws x 5

Light Weight For Distance

1. Full Throws x 5

Light Hammer

1. One Wind x 3

2. Full Throws x 5

Had a few throws sprinkled in during weight for distance throws that felt really good. That was a good feeling! Has been feeling poorly lately, so I need to stay on top of this and hopefully I can get a little more consistent. Hammer was not good. Felt slow.... It was hot... I was tired and hungry.... So I went home.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/15 at 5:02am
9/7/2015

1. Seated Box Jumps --- 4 x 2

2A. Box Squats

--- Safety Squat Bar + 80 lb chain

--- Done 'dynamic effort' style w/ minimal rest

3 x 2 @ 275

3 x 2 @ 285

2B. McGill Pullups --- 7 x 2

3A. Military Press

115 x 6

125 x 6

125 x 6

135 x 6

3B. TRX facepulls --- 3 x 10-12

4A. Wide, Neutral Grip Lat Pulldown --- 3 x 8

4B. Triceps pushdowns --- 3 x 20

5A. Farmers walk

5B. TRX YTM's x 5 each

5C. DB Hammer Curls x 8

--- Repeated this circuit three times

Finished up with band traction for the shoulders and hips and then some bar hangs.

Did this session at the commercial gym. It was crowded.... apparently when you show up to train during the only hour that the gym offers day care on a holiday, it's going to get a little ugly! Conveniently, pretty much no one squats and I'm about positive no one has any idea what the safety squat bar is intended for. Someone does have an odd use for chains though. This was not the first day that I have had to take apart 4 chains connected end to end. Not sure how one uses 16 feet or so of chain connected together. Hopefully one day I can walk in and see that!

Felt good about the work done for sure. Lots of volume. Works as 'pre-hab' and cardio as well!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/15 at 9:33pm
9/8/2015

Dynamic warm up

Various rotational and other 'med ball' style throws with a stone

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5
  2. Blocking drill throws x 5
  4. Braemar's x 5 (w/ heavier stone ~23 lb)
  5. Open throws x 5-8

Hammer

1. One Turns x 5
  2. Full Throws x 8

If only all events could feel as good as stones have been. I actually measured out 30 feet and put a marker. All Braemar's were 29-33 feet and felt nice and consistent. Full throws felt great as well. I didn't measure those as my stone is too light (13ish pounds). It would probably make me feel too good about myself haha.

Hammer was kind of ...ehh.... some decent throws, but inconsistent like crazy. Need to keep nailing this in. I have noticed that stone gets better when I throw it less. And hammer improves when I throw it more. So that's what I'll do.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:03am

9/9/2015

Dynamic warm up, jumps

Heavy Weight

1. One Turns x 3
  2. Full throws x 3-5

Light Weight

1. Full Throws x 6-8

Light Hammer

1. One Turns x 3
  2. Full Throws x 8

Had some light weight throws that actually felt pretty decent. That's encouraging, but still struggling with the heavy weight. Every now and then it feels decent, but just inconsistent overall. Often, one part of the throw feels good, but I fall apart on another aspect. I need to work on getting everything to at least somewhat come together. More reps to come.

Hammer is continuing to improve a little. Need it to go further, but it didn't feel terrible.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:04am

9/10/2015

1A. Front Squat

---Light Day

275 x 2 @ RPE 6-7

300 x 2 @ RPE 7

300 x 2 @ RPE 7-7.5

1B. Band Rows 3 x 10

2A. Bench @ 80%

3 x 2 @ 255

2B. Band Pullaparts --- 3 x 12

3A. BB curls with Fat Gripz --- 3 x 8-10

3B. Front Plate Raises --- 3 x 12

4. Bird Dogs --- 6 x 10 second hold each side

Wrapped up with some band shoulder distraction and hip flexor/quad stretching

Front squats are a movement that I, unfortunately, cannot do very often. They tend to give me a lot of trouble with my elbows. I have been working on getting my elbows feeling better and I was hopeful that I would be able to make it through this session relatively pain free. That didn't turn out to be the case. My right elbow was flared up pretty bad by the end of the session. This is a little frustrating, but the elbows are better than they have been previously, so that's a positive at least. I have tried other options like using straps for 'handles' and crossing the arms bodybuilder style. The straps just feel awkward for me and I can't quite get the movement to feel decent. Crossing the arms bothers my shoulder too much. Putting it in a somewhat impinged/compromised position by crossing the arm and then shrinking that space by putting weight on it just hasn't worked out well for me. I probably won't front squat again until the competition is over. I think what it comes down to, in the end, is that I need to spend some more time this offseason getting my upper body moving correctly.

One thing my upper body can do with pretty much no issues is bench haha. So that felt fine. Nothing exciting w/ doubles at 80%.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/15 at 8:23pm

9/11/2015

Dynamic Warm up, Jumps

LWFD

1. One Turns x 5
  2. Full Throws x 5

Light Hammer

1. One Wind x 3
  2. Full Throws x about 8

Light weight felt slightly better. Sometimes though, I feel like I can get away with poorer technique on the LWFD and not have it impact the final outcome nearly as much. Hammer continues to feel more consistent. Working on reaching higher and keeping arms long. Seems to be paying off!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic