FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Light weight division and weigh in's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 6:29pm
go home Berby- you're drunk
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 8:20pm
I tend to go with the notion that its the AD's discretion. If people want to start talking tradition, go to Scotland and see what variation from game to game looks like.  I think the variation from game to game is a positive aspect of the HG.

Personally, I dig classes. Makes sense when you have an athlete population our size.   But, I think everyone should throw the same implements. The only exception being a youth class and the senior masters starting around maybe 60+.

Some classes will throw them far. Some will throw them less far. But, it will still be in the context of the same class.

Jake, have a snickers. Why so hangry?
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

Jake, have a snickers.

Not in his macros! Nooooo!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 8:37pm
Game on 
10/01/2015 
Day 1 in the books working towards the posedown with Dickens. Will be making a log on training log. Lots of new things
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/15 at 8:57am
Hmm...a little planning and I bet I could make U200....;)

Of course then I'd have to deal with Josh and Craig each sending me a bag of dicks to eat...
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/15 at 12:04pm
Please Drop It -

Enough ... let's move on.

Of all the thousands of athletic moments at the recent Woodstock of HGs, we gotta talk about this?

Enuf,

-K 
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/15 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Of course then I'd have to deal with Josh and Craig each sending me a bag of dicks to eat...

You WOULD be wearing this.
...Josh
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/15 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

haha Dick's for everyone. Bawawaaaaaaaa
JUST BRING IT /

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/15 at 10:03am
This thread was ill conceived and ill timed.  Why was this tread started the day after the MWC?  The amount of equipment, the logistics, the coordination it takes to run a big event let alone a monster event like MWC and pull it off is a thing of beauty.  Show respect and give them a break, let them catch their breath. 

Masters World Championship allows day before weigh ins and has from its beginning. Their records requirement allows the same. Accept it. 

Amateur Championship and records do not.  Accept it.

LW traditionally have done morning weigh in. Nothing written as that is the way it is done (like so much in the games).  As time passed and new throwers from different background came into the games, which brought in different approaches.  This became an issue when the Light Weight Worlds in Texas allowed day before weigh in.  Part of the justification was there is no written rules against it. 

Weigh ins are up to the AD and he/she has control over what is done on that particular day on that particular field.   However, I would like to point out the following:

* LW Nationals have always been weigh-ins the morning of event. 

* SAAA who runs the LW Worlds are morning weigh ins.  They have always did morning weigh ins for this Championship but for the one in Texas.

* U200 records can only be broken if morning weigh ins w/ in 3 hrs before start. (http://www.hglightweightrecords.org/)

* U190 records from highlandgames.net "Lightweight records must be set by a male competitor weighing less than 190lbs. The athlete must be competing in an official lightweight class, and weight must be verified at a weigh-in the morning of the games in which the record is set.

* For results to be included for rankings for invites to LW nationals (and perhaps the LW Worlds), the results must be from an event with morning weigh ins. 

The point is that non Masters LWs have standardized their procedures.

With that said, the MWC has standard procedures and they do there own thing and keeps their own records.  Be thankful they do this and supports Masters and Masters U200.  

Mark McVey

Edited by McSanta - 10/03/15 at 2:49pm
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/15 at 10:14am
Yep-

We've been doing it this way since 2003 and I'm not convinced we have a need to change.

You guys are welcome to do whatever makes you feel good, but we're do'n it this way.

We'll do weigh-ins the day before the competition starts and if we're lucky we'll do it in the main lobby of the local Hilton ... in front of the elevators and with a big crowd too... just like this year.

This year we had one of the largest crowds for a weigh-ins in the history of HGs. Was kinda fun.

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/15 at 10:16am
And with all that ... let's just say ... enough already.
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/15 at 12:07pm
Kevin is right, time to move on. Train hard and get ready for Buffalo.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/15 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

lol, this thread is just silly.

This isn't powerlifting. This isn't strongman. This isn't Olympic weightlifting.

This is the Highland Games. The grandfather of all strength sports. Do you think they had 24 hour weigh ins 1000 years ago?

However, in modern day politically correct America, we have to appeal to the masses and create as many chances to get a trophy as possible. I can only assume we'll also create a Transgender class soon as well, right? More records for AGM to keep track of. More classes. More opportunities for trophies. I can imagine the hard work the AD's have to go through. It sounds exhausting running all of that.

1) if you don't walk around <200 (or <190) then wtf are you doing competing with those that do?
2) if you feel the need to cut 10-15lbs to make weight, then wtf are you doing competing with those that don't?

Once upon a time, people worked hard to achieve greatness. Now we just keep adding more and more classes so we can all call ourselves great. Smh.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 7:18am
Hey-

That's just nonsense. The classes are the results of a very popular age-based concept and the logistics of large groups. Nobody added more classes to call anyone great.

We may have to add more classes still because more older women want a place to compete. So, you can just keep your nonsense about politics and greatness to yourself. Its not true.

-K
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 8:00am
If it's not true, then you could guys could sure save a lot of time and money on trophies.  Big smile

That said, as a general rule people seem to like competing in an environment where they are, at least, semi-competitive.  I don't think anyone will argue that.  I also don't think anyone will argue that it makes perfect sense from a logistical/game running standpoint.  And as a final word on that, if you're the AD and it's your game, you can do whatever the F you want. 

Hell even the Pro National Championship this year didn't go 100% by the rankings....  Confused

But, when people are sending me screenshots of pics touting lightweight joe vs lightweight john for the intergalactic  super championship with hashtags of beastmode, etc... (ya rly) it does kinda make you wonder the motivation....  So I really don't think Jake and Carlos are alone, and the timing and circumstances brought it to the top.

Anyhoo...that's my daily dose of devil's advocate.... bye.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 8:36am
Craig Smith: Masters U200 Interplanetary Super Champ - 2016

Make it happen.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 8:42am
Can we do U270?  Seems more reasonable....
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 9:00am
Craig-

So, its the screenshots of lightweights (with the required dumb comments) that makes people believe that we are motivated to create classes just for people to work less and call themselves great. I haven't seen em but I'm really not doing all this for that purpose. That part is not true. Its not part of my motivation.

However, when I retired and turned over Ancient Athletics to Merl about a decade ago, I told him that we are in the business of making heros. When people leave our events after turning a caber or getting a cheer or PR for a good toss, they feel like a hero and have pride in their strength and power. That part I am personally guilty and over the years we have raised many ordinary throwers to elevated status for simply turning a caber that many should be able to turn. True enough. Guilty. But the kids love it. 

Now with the MWC, we've handed out a truckload of trophies and medals but also compared all the throws with the best records available to provide some prospective and context. I hope that has the desired effect of laying the groundwork for credibility for our Champions. 

But look, on one hand a guy throws BS 41' and OS 53' and nobody says a word to him and on the other hand a guy who is not even at the event bitches about the weigh-ins. What in the world can I do about that but take it and explain that we take the good with the bad. I'll be glad to provide a place to compete for the humble guy who can throw over 40' and just have to put up with the screenshots and dumb comments.  

-K 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 9:11am
I can dig that more than you know Kevin, cause if I didn't, you know I wouldn't have been there in the first place. 

I think it was just poor timing with all the lightweight stuff, on top on the guys who didn't win having an opportunity to bitch about it.   

And believe you me, I said something to Brent that day, but I suspect you already knew that Wink 

As a general rule though, people only care about themselves and talk about themselves, so that's no huge surprise. 

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 12:29pm
I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

At this point it seems rather childish.

From most accounts the AD did a good job and put an a good competition.

Leave the AD alone for Pete's sake.

Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/15 at 4:39pm
funny thing is Brent was prolly more upset about something he did not do right on that 53 footer....
"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/15 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Brian Randell Brian Randell wrote:

Kevin is right, time to move on. Train hard and get ready for Buffalo.
http://www.elitefts.com/education/nutrition/how-to-cut-maximum-weight-for-competitions-with-a-24-hour-weigh-in/                    WOW 
JUST BRING IT /

Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/15 at 8:52pm
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/15 at 9:51pm
Yeah just talked to a wrestler and he has Brian Carrolls program. Same things. Amazing
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 1:29pm
OK /kid who works for me gave the Brian Carroll e-book on making weight. He lost 35lbs once for a 24 hr weigh in. Interesting stuff-diet/salt/water methods. Then I got to the chapter for getting the weight back and it includes "bagging up". F THAT CRAP! (bagging up is IV saline bags..no way in he'll am I doing that or is that worth it) operation 225 is still on but that will be it as not about to go crazy with that stuff
JUST BRING IT /

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 2:25pm
Taking a bag, or sometimes even two, is totally standard post weight-cut for just about all athletic endeavors.  Not really a big deal, at all. 

If you went to the hospital dehydrated, that's the first thing they would do. 

Doesn't that tell you that it's the one of the, if not THE, most effective method of re-hydration?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 2:33pm
Gotcha. Good old time story-training partner is over 3 bills/were competing in blazing sun,100 degree day,high humidity,after a heavy nite of drinking and we're at a racetrack with no shade. Well 3pm rolls around were just about done and the 300 lb dude starts feeling faint/says get me an IV bag out of my bag. I say OK and he proceeds to take a pen to puncture and starts drinking it. I stop him and tell him that's not made for the oral route/he says it won't make a difference. Well after downing the salty/syrupy mess he proceeds to yak it all up. Lol. Then says need fluids and downs 3 Molson XXXS. Made for an interesting start to the post game endeavors. Ohh when we were young and dumb
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Taking a bag, or sometimes even two, is totally standard post weight-cut for just about all athletic endeavors.  Not really a big deal, at all. 

If you went to the hospital dehydrated, that's the first thing they would do. 

Doesn't that tell you that it's the one of the, if not THE, most effective method of re-hydration?
oh yeah totally agree most effective but cutting for a highland games then bagging up in the hotel is a bit extreme. Have seen it only at a few big powerlifting meets that Terri did(i only did small and state)
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 2:47pm
When I was in powerlifting. Would compete@220- usually weighed bet 224-231 that was easy to cut. Friday nite w/lifting Saturday morning-would wake up Fri morning and put garbage bag on or sauna suit and spit in a cup/on the way to weighins would drive w/sauna suit or garbage bag with car heat on. Always made weight then would gatorade/carb up. That was easy 
JUST BRING IT /

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 3:40pm
Maybe it's just me but I really don't get it on multiple levels. 

First and foremost, the tradition in the Highland Games is that the 'heavy events' were for heavies. I've never seen a specific designation of what exact weight that means. Franklly I think it doesn't mean anything other than 'this group of events is best suited to the larger athlete'. Simple enough. Elegant. I like it. They also have the 'lightweight events' like running, jumping, cycling, etc. Again, no specific designation of what that means beyond the fact that perhaps those events are more suited to lighter athletes. Anyone can choose to participate in any of the events. It's a beautiful thing and the simplicity has survived for centuries.

Then the whining starts about how unfair it is for a 200 pound guy to compete against a 300 pound guy and the sport, at least in the US, caves in and creates weight classes. Mind you there are no weight classes that allow us fatties to compete in running or jumping (not that we'd want to, we're fatties for a reason you understand). An abomination in my opinion but I'm just a grumpy old fat man.

Next, the claim is that the ENTIRE motivation for the lightweight abomination is to give the smaller guys a 'level' playing field, one where they don't have to throw against the big guys. So why then would you change the weigh in procedures so that the big guys can 'cut' down to 30-45 pounds less than their true weight and then just re-hydrate before the competition? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the lightweight abomination? Now those smaller guys still have to compete against much larger athletes. 

The whole thing is ridiculous. Exactly the kind of thing that happens when you start trying to 'level the playing field' in almost any endeavor.

True justice is a single set of objective rules that apply equally to all. Period.

That is all.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic