Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just got the Varsity T&F job.  Need some advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Just got the Varsity T&F job. Need some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just got the Varsity T&F job. Need some advice
    Posted: 12/11/15 at 2:18pm
Hello Fellas,

I just got selected for the HC position for the boys and girls Varsity T&F teams.  I am looking for resources to build a comprehensive S&C program and those sorts of things.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jase
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/15 at 3:08pm
Some filler information:
- Class D school
- Total student body of 77 kids in the High School
- We can contest all events except pole vault
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/15 at 5:23pm
I've been coaching track and powerlifting for 20 years. I don't
know your speciality, but learn every event. Then get sub-coaches
in everything. Girls train no different than boys, weightlifting
included.
Larry J Readman
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/15 at 8:48pm
I coach the O-Line for the Varsity, have competed in the HG since 2009.  Worked with the middle school throwers for the past two years.

My staff includes: one collegiate 1 and 2 mile runner, the strength and conditioning coach from the football team, a graduate from 1991 that still holds the school's long jump and high jump records, a lady that has been working with the middle school hurdlers for the past two years, and me coaching the discus and shot kids.

What sort of lifting cycle?  There are a ton of youtube videos on all of this but sifting through it all is time consuming to say the least.  The season will be here before you know it.
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/15 at 9:55pm
They are kids. Pretty much anything will work. Just keep it simple and fun. put attainable goal in front of them to get. 
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/15 at 5:56am
Looks like your covered events wise with coaches. I work in weight-
training when they get tired of throwing. Keep it simple and fun!
One day upper body, push press, bench, tricep pullovers. Next session
squat, power cleans, lat pulldowns? 5-6 sets.
Larry J Readman
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/15 at 7:14am
Here is the program I use with my throwers that I coach. 

It works really well and I have seen them all make gains in strength. I run each level for 4 weeks or so. Then taper off for championship meets 

http://www.athletesacceleration.com/docs/articles/strength-training-HS-throwers.pdf
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Roland D. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/15 at 7:32am
Congrats Jason. No suggestions 'cause you got this. Just congrats.
Could you make that throw when it matters...as it matters in battle? Could you crush a man with that throw?
Rob Logan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/16 at 9:08pm
As a former sprinter for a number of years I would recommend  the sprint team do no more than 200m during practices, unless they will run the 400.

Have the sprinters focus on form, technique and acceleration. Sprint workouts for the 100 and 200m runners should range between 50-200m with intensity around the 75-85% and full recovery between each set.
Gym
https://www.facebook.com/Stout.Barbell?fref=ts

Training videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/xb100

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic