FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

WOB exercises

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOB exercises
    Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:43am
Can't find a good exercise to improve WOB, any ideas?
Larry J Readman
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:32am
Throw WOB
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:35am
Heavier? Lighter? Same weight?
Larry J Readman
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 1:10pm
Same weight. For basic strength-deadlifts/pulls/cleans. Nothing simulates a wob like a wob.  
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 1:10pm
Same weight as in comp.   Deadlifts and cleans for strength 
JUST BRING IT /

LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 3:28pm
Would cleans and deadlift standing on blocks or hang cleans
be better?
Larry J Readman
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 4:51pm
Nope all the great wobs did deads from floor.   One quick w/out tip ala Mule(Westside barbell) 10 tosses in 10 minutes. 
JUST BRING IT /

JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:29pm
Matt Sandford used to stand on blocks and do one arm deadlifts with a handle attached to some plates. I made the same set up for Doug McDonald years ago. Matt did them quite heavy.
Swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:59pm
The clean grip power snatch is another good one. Nice long pull, triple extension, lots of hips, etc...
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/16 at 6:43pm
Matt Sandford could shoot laser beams out of his ass and would look at a weight to scare it over 16 feet high. Why complicate things for the average man. Deadlift heavy/clean heavy/ row/row and throw the damn implement till your arm falls off
JUST BRING IT /

JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/16 at 4:38pm
Maybe he could do that because he trained the way he did.
There is nothing complicated about what I posted. Your advice may not be what he needs and whats wrong with trying something out of the norm. And...do you even throw?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/16 at 8:42pm
There's nothing complicated Joel, but I'm not sure that my go-to when advising a 65 year old man who has thrown 9' with the 42, would be one handed deficit deadlifts.  
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/16 at 5:39am
Interesting! I've used deadlifts, standing on blocks since high
school. Tried one arm hang snatch yesterday. Thanks for the advice!
Larry J Readman
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/16 at 8:33am
Craig,
Maybe not but he does do one arm snatches and there is no reason he needs to try and go as heavy as Sandford. Doug used to us them for speed and ROM.
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/16 at 1:09pm
What ever u do in the training pulls Blah Blah ..... it has to b Fast!!! The 42 is a whole different world ...u have to b much faster and have a better sense to tempo and timing. I trained a lot with a 37.5 implement at 19' feet often going 10 for 10 with a short cast and drop. Snatch Grip hi pulls is all it takes and some Power Snatches a few weeks out u still need lots of stretch reflex. Ya drop the crazy heavy Deads and Squats when playing with the 42 .....
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/16 at 5:46am
I can see snatch as coming closes to simulating the throwing motion. I like the lighter implement for throwing. Getting it back over the bar to me is the hardest. I've gotten the height for 11feet but straight up and back down?
Larry J Readman
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/16 at 10:38am
Power Snatch more than Power Clean should be your rule. Pulling from the floor more than hang should be the priority. Note - getting close to bigger meets/ games and the need to store lots of energy and taking some load off the lower back go to the hang.

Speaking of Matt and the one hand Deads no convinced these had any part in his WOB success. Matt I'm sure hi pulled well into the mid 400 snatch grip. Thats horse power !!!

Lift fast throw fast !!!
plockton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plockton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/16 at 11:42am
thanks don, i had nearly forgotten

best rgds, waiting for you to step back on the field, show us all how its done
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/16 at 4:29pm
The only way to know for sure would be to ask him. 
Snatches are a great exercise but they don't help you with the finish for WOB. I do dumbell snatches for that but keep my throwing arm straight as I would in WOB.  
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/16 at 6:03pm
I do 3 sets of 3 DB snatch. Then 9sets of regular
snatch. Already went up 10# reg, snatch. Hope wob follows!
Larry J Readman
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/16 at 11:21am
Joel most probably short pull/ keep the triangle closed >>> when they power snatch, therefore most will not reap all the benefits . SGDeads SGhigh pulls power snatch and polish snatch got me to 17' and several close attempts at 17'6 at ages 39-41. Way past my prime but in the 220-242 lb PS back then. My point - learn the Olympic Lifts and get fast. There has to be a dark phase YES, but bar speed has to b incorporated year around.
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/16 at 5:50pm
Don,
I do agree. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind for some is the snatch is a lift and WOB is a throw. The snatch is a great tool to use. 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/16 at 7:45pm
Don,come on now Joel has to deal with Treudea and all his mind must be screaming(I mean from what I understand he ran after Doug MacDonald like pavlovs dog panting at its next treat). Give everyone the goods! Tell Joel and all his followers what you told me and the MWR
JUST BRING IT /

JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/16 at 8:33pm
I do consider Doug a friend and we did train together at one time. We have never met but you seem to know a lot about me. 
Are you drunk when you post on here?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/16 at 8:46pm
No post when I'm sober...but if you feel offend we can speak on pm,email, no need to be a little bitch..heck pm me I'll give you my phone number and we can chat..peace out
JUST BRING IT /

Kanomica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanomica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/18 at 12:40pm
I hit the gym with weightlifting that most closely mimics an event, like WOB. For Example, I do a lot of standing dumbbell raises (to the front) and shoulder press. My opinion is that deadlift or farmers walk for example, will help build muscle in general, but I prefer a specific shoulder building exercise to specifically target the muscles that are predominantly used for WOB.
I've been exercising for 30+ years, but after I got into the Games and started targeting specific muscle groups to improve WOB for example, I saw a big difference. My PR had been 15', and after 4 months of intense and HEAVY shoulder workouts, I was able to clear 17'! One might blame cooler weather, adrenaline rush, or simply having a good day, but the facts remains I improved by 2' in 4 months for WOB, masters division.
SR
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/18 at 12:45pm
It's my firm opinion shoulder strength doesn't equal WOB ability. 

Traps play a role in the release and pull but most power for WOB is built through the hips and legs. 

That being said, having strong shoulders never hurts. 

I would keep focusing on Front Squats, dead lifts (or cleans/snatches whatever you prefer), and just throwing WOB more. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/18 at 6:48am
2 year old post bump, nice.

And Jeff is obv right.  No one would ever advocate DB front raises and shoulder press to improve WOB specifically.  It makes no sense.  
DJTennison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJTennison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/18 at 8:37am
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Traps play a role in the release and pull but most power for WOB is built through the hips and legs. 

I would keep focusing on Front Squats, dead lifts (or cleans/snatches whatever you prefer), and just throwing WOB more. 

Surely it's gotta be more complicated than just getting stronger hips and legs, right? 

I came on here to look for something specifically and got lost and in a world of trouble.... Dammit Kaste
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/18 at 9:34am
Originally posted by DJTennison DJTennison wrote:

Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Surely it's gotta be more complicated than just getting stronger hips and legs, right? 

I came on here to look for something specifically and got lost and in a world of trouble.... Dammit Kaste

Sorry, Dad!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic