Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Caber Scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/16 at 10:15am
So...wait...hitting the bar in the WOB isn't an achievement we deserve to get points for?

LOLBig smileLOL

Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/16 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Stahmixson Stahmixson wrote:

I am not fond in splitting points for ties. I think side judging is the way to do it. Same way as we do the countback on WOB... Do we not also measure a WFD of just 10 feet ?

Thanks for your input Wulbert. All I can say is that, in my opinion, a reliable side judge is hard to find if not impossible. And we only countback on WOB for SUCCESSFUL throws, never for misses even if the thrower 'had the height.'  Also, we measure a WFD of just 10' because the goal of the event was completed, to throw the weight without fouling, no matter how little it may travel. If that makes sense.

Anyways. It seems my question has been answered, at least as best as it can be. What I'm hearing is this:

A) The Caber is scored in degrees, in part, because it's just been done that way. There are AD's who wish to give some kind of score and that's how they do it. At the end of the day, we are playing on someone else's playground and I will always respect that. 

2. If more people are willing to speak to AD's about changing the scoring it sounds as if many are willing to listen. I think that's cool and I for one am very appreciative of the open dialogue. 

I appreciate the input. At the end of the day, my Caber turning skills need to improve no matter what the scoring is. But if I place ahead of another competitor with a 45 degree or 65 degree or whatever degree score, in my opinion, I just got lucky and the results have no bearing on skill. That should be unacceptable.

jp

You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/16 at 3:44pm
HAD THE HEIGHT
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

Thanks for your input Wulbert. All I can say is that, in my opinion, a reliable side judge is hard to find if not impossible. And we only countback on WOB for SUCCESSFUL throws, never for misses even if the thrower 'had the height.'  Also, we measure a WFD of just 10' because the goal of the event was completed, to throw the weight without fouling, no matter how little it may travel. If that makes sense.

you're welcome my dear :)

And Yes, that makes sense.
I agree that good judges are hard to find.
I also agree that side judging is hard.
But I believe that an athlete who scores a 80*, is to be better ranked than an athlete who scores just a 50. A good Judge should see that.
I dare to say that even then, the best athlete will end up first at the end of the day.
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 10:00am
I have a few thoughts...we all agree side-judging is difficult and often inaccurate but I believe it's a necessary evil. We're already telling the athletes that we only want 1/2 of them to turn the caber and if you eliminate side judging you're now telling them if they don't turn it the BEST they can do is tie for last, that's discouraging. We place every athlete in all the other events, why not the caber? How about simplifying it; only use 4 scores for side-judging, no-turn, 30 degrees, 45 degrees and 60 degrees. I really believe an athlete who can pull 3 60-80 degrees turns on a caber deserves to score higher than one who can only manage 1-2 30 degrees turns. Forget scores like 63 degrees or 82 degrees, etc. no one can really determine that with the naked eye. Drop the caber, no pick = no turn, pick it but can't get past 1/3 of the way up = 30 degrees, decent toss maybe 1/2 the way up = 45 degrees, good pull past 1/2 but no turn = 60 degrees. This way we can at least separate the not so good from the good.
Regarding scoring a tuned caber, I learned how to do it some 30 odd years ago by using a 9-3 clock face, it's really the same as the 11:45-12:15 method. Again, I would recommend keeping it simple; 5 minute increments from 11:45-12:15 and then 15 minutes until 9 or 3, i.e. 12:05 or 11:50 for the close but not a 12:00 and 9:30 or 1:15 for something further out. That's not any different than using the minute technique, I'm pretty sure they score 12:03 or 11:56 in Scotland; both methods use basically 15 increments to either side of 12:00.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 2:35pm
Quote We're already telling the athletes that we only want 1/2 of them to turn the caber and if you eliminate side judging you're now telling them if they don't turn it the BEST they can do is tie for last, that's discouraging. We place every athlete in all the other events, why not the caber?

While I see what you're saying here Steve, it's not entirely accurate; if you no-height in the WOB/Sheaf you place last and split points with anyone else who does as well. If you foul all 3 throws in a distance event you get zero.

I think the height events are the most appropriate example- you either make it, or you don't. There isn't a judge who estimates the height you did get and assigns points for effort.

If side judging is done I do like your idea of 30-45-60 degree measures, it allows for some consistency. That's also something I will push for at Games this summer if the decision is to have side judging at all.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 2:57pm
I'm not all that concerned with how this all plays out but I do feel the comparison to WOB and Sheaf scoring is not an accurate assessment of how we should be scoring caber. When picking a caber we typically want about half the field to be able to get some type of turn. This would leave about half the field splitting last place points. Starting heights for Sheaf and wob are almost in every scenario started at a height that everyone can make. No heighting is rare compared to not turning a caber. Like I said, I don't care how caber is scored but the comparison to the height events makes no sense.
The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 4:07pm
Steve, I really like your concept!  I strongly agree that someone who can pick the caber but not turn it, deserves to finish higher than someone who cannot even pick up the caber.  Your simplified break down of how to score un-turned cabers is fair to the athletes and easier for the side-judge.
I can see at the Elite level, or with Championship classes going with turn only scoring, since you are dealing with best of the best.  However your point about it being discouraging for the average and/or beginner thrower is valid.  I also agree with Robin's point that comparing Caber and Height events is not accurate.  
Juli, thanks for starting the conversation, it has generated a lot of good comments and given us AD's lots to think about.
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

I'm not exactly sure about how or why the caber came to be? Was it to train warriors? Or to test your manhood? To build a bridge? I have heard all these.

Most likely it was (b.) manhood test.  We're probably talkin' about a couple of guys drinking and fooling around.  "l bet you can't do this!!"  Athlete Charlie Black, when doing his Phd thesis on Scottish athletics, could find find NO purpose whatsoever for flipping a caber. 
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Jay Holloway View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jay Holloway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by WALLY.OLECIK WALLY.OLECIK wrote:

Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

I'm not exactly sure about how or why the caber came to be? Was it to train warriors? Or to test your manhood? To build a bridge? I have heard all these.

Most likely it was (b.) manhood test.  We're probably talkin' about a couple of guys drinking and fooling around.  "l bet you can't do this!!"  Athlete Charlie Black, when doing his Phd thesis on Scottish athletics, could find find NO purpose whatsoever for flipping a caber. 

I've always worked under the assumption that distilled spirits and a pretty girl was involved.
You had the height!!!!!
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Jay Holloway Jay Holloway wrote:

I've always worked under the assumption that distilled spirits and a pretty girl was involved.

Most likely!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/16 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

I'm not all that concerned with how this all plays out but I do feel the comparison to WOB and Sheaf scoring is not an accurate assessment of how we should be scoring caber. When picking a caber we typically want about half the field to be able to get some type of turn. This would leave about half the field splitting last place points. Starting heights for Sheaf and wob are almost in every scenario started at a height that everyone can make. No heighting is rare compared to not turning a caber. Like I said, I don't care how caber is scored but the comparison to the height events makes no sense.

If you don't turn it, you don't score. 
Don't clear the height, you don't get points for it.
Makes perfect sense to me.

The Caber Toss starts when you're handed the Caber; so I suppose the person who drops the Caber before even attempting the pick should score less than the person who tries to pick, and less than the person who picks the Caber but gets no run, with the person managing a throw of 30 degrees finishing higher than the rest.

No turn = no points. Just my opinion.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 8:04am
Obviously, turn and no turn is all or nothing proposition.   This idea is a good one if you are better than average caber turner. 

To get to be better than average, you need to practice.  In that lies the down side -- For beginners and others who do not have access to cabers for practice, this sucks as they are tied for last place and hurts them in overall competition.  (but motivates them to learn the event)

Comparing turn /no turn to WOB is logic in the aspect that you need to complete the task successfully.   It is illogical when it comes to placement.  

Turn/no turn equivalent in WOB would be if WOB was done by:
(1) give points to those throwers that cleared the final height and all others are tied for last place.   
OR
(2) perhaps more closer to the opening height is set at a foot below the projected final height. (The caber chosen should be one that only a few throwers can turn, not the whole class).  Lots of no heights followed by a few clearing the opening height followed by only 1 or 2 clearing the final height.

<Note: some of the following is repeated from an earlier post -- I have been doing turn/no turn for a couple of years>

I highly suggest using a scoring qualifier, I try to make it a mid range stick for that class so that there are people who do not turn as that is the nature of the event.  Followed this by a nasty stick for the class.   (example: A new A thrower will struggle with a mid range A caber).

IF you do not turn the competition caber, you are ranked on the turns of the qualifier (this has the same function as a side judge for the competition caber).  If you do not turn the qualifier, your dead last.

Pluses:
This gives people more shots at cabers and help develop their skills
This allows the announcer to hype the event, by building up to the big stick
Hope that less sticks will be broken as the partial turn will not count leading to less late pulls ....

Minus:
Need more sticks
Takes more Time
Defeats one of the benefits - using more sticks put more sticks at risk for breaking.

Edited by McSanta - 4/07/16 at 10:19am
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 9:43am
Traditional sports in Europe emerged from Agricultural communities in which folks messed around with the tools and materials of their trade at the end of the day. I have always said the first hammer throwing event would have taken place shortly after hammers were invented. As for the Cabers - the Baques saw logs - the Maple Leafs float them and use them as an excuse for a colleague to get a bath in a river - and the Scots toss them because the other two were taken.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Jeff Ingram Jeff Ingram wrote:

The Caber Toss starts when you're handed the Caber; so I suppose the person who drops the Caber before even attempting the pick should score less than the person who tries to pick, and less than the person who picks the Caber but gets no run, with the person managing a throw of 30 degrees finishing higher than the rest.

Regardless if it makes sense to you or not doesn't mean there is actually any kind of logic to what you are saying. There is no comparison between caber and height event scoring. To score the caber the same as wob or Sheaf you would need a variety of cabers that increase in difficulty. Each athlete would get 3 attempts at a caber and once they turned it they would move on to the next caber. Using the "clock" to score a caber would also have to go away since in the height events you either make it or you dont. OR... for wob and Sheaf you determine a height that only a few athletes can clear. Each athlete gets 3 attempts to clear and if they don't then they tie for last, and the bar never goes up. Also, it would be necessary for a judge to determine, for the athletes that did clear, if the weight went over the middle of the bar or was a little to the left or right so a winner could be determined based on their accuracy to the middle of the bar.

Doing any of what I just said would be ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as anybody thinking that caber and height events scoring resemble each other in any way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 8:46pm

Regardless if it makes sense to you or not doesn't mean there is actually any kind of logic to what you are saying...

...Doing any of what I just said would be ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as anybody thinking that caber and height events scoring resemble each other in any way.

Ok. Not pertinent to OP. There's been some great discussion here and I would prefer if it not get lost on side chats. Thank you.

jp

tosabarbell.com
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 9:04pm
You're right...I was stupid for getting back on here and posting in the first place. See ya never...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/16 at 10:28pm

You're right...I was stupid for getting back on here and posting in the first place. See ya never...

Whoa. Apologies, I didn't mean to imply anyone was right or wrong re: WOB scoring comparisons, only that it wasn't the point of the post. I certainly didn't mean to chase anyone away. I didn't mean to come across in such a way to elicit anger. 

Again, apologies. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/16 at 12:08am
Originally posted by swollenknuck swollenknuck wrote:

Carlos you hit the nail on the head, I hate seeing good cabers break because someone who is about to loose it tries to pull at the last second to get some degrees from the side judge.  

I understand the thinking behind getting some degrees out of the side judge. The second games I threw in, a competitor told me to just try to get some degrees out of it, no matter how little it might turn out to be. It wasn't a heavy caber (novice), but if I had decided not to give it a try, there would have been many that would've somehow taken offense at me not "giving my all."
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/16 at 2:37pm

Regardless if it makes sense to you or not doesn't mean there is actually any kind of logic to what you are saying. There is no comparison between caber and height event scoring. To score the caber the same as wob or Sheaf you would need a variety of cabers that increase in difficulty. Each athlete would get 3 attempts at a caber and once they turned it they would move on to the next caber. Using the "clock" to score a caber would also have to go away since in the height events you either make it or you dont. OR... for wob and Sheaf you determine a height that only a few athletes can clear. Each athlete gets 3 attempts to clear and if they don't then they tie for last, and the bar never goes up. Also, it would be necessary for a judge to determine, for the athletes that did clear, if the weight went over the middle of the bar or was a little to the left or right so a winner could be determined based on their accuracy to the middle of the bar.

Doing any of what I just said would be ridiculous, but not quite as ridiculous as anybody thinking that caber and height events scoring resemble each other in any way.

Just a discussion, dude. Try not to take it so personally.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 1:58pm
Personally I prefer having the side judging too. Not just because I'm terrible at caber(which I definitely am) but because in most games I've competed, out of a 9-12 person class maybe only 2-4 could actually turn the caber, and that's even with us going down from the recommended caber. 
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:07pm
In Bellingham last weekend we moved to No qualifying stick and Turn / No turn scoring.
We picked cabers that were appropriate to the class competing. Most classes did well and 1/2 plus turned their stick.
A Class and LW class did not fair as well. Which was surprising in a sense that you would think they would have more seasoned competitors. However when I looked A Class, a lot of the class was relatively new to Highland games and came from Track and field.

My thoughts are that the caber event moved along much faster, and in 90+ Degree heat that always good.
There no glaring effects on the Aggregate scoring in each class.

I know Robin wouldn't agree but I still liken it to WOB or Sheaf in that if you can not reach even the opening height you get zero points. Caber is a skilled event just like they are.

We are the Heavy Athletics for a reason... we don't give participation points. I remember a story about Kay Cummings being approached by some athletes stating that they thought the starting height was too high for sheaf.....   He said, " get better at sheaf, its gonna be the same next year as well..."
That's the approach I took this past weekend at Bellingham. We had our starting heights for all height events and our Turn/ No turn rule. We got very little if any grumbling... Everyone did their best.
We all had a great time and were done at an appropriate time so people could enjoy the comaraderie of the Games..ie Beer garden....LOL

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:18pm
  Amen! A competition ain't about figuring out who is fifth, it's about figuring out who is first.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:35pm
Okay, I'm sold. 
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 3:11pm
We used the 2 caber method this past weekend in Utah to break ties. Athletes who couldn't turn the 1st caber took last place & split those points. Athletes had to turn the first caber to be allowed their 3 attempts on the 2nd caber. Athletes who couldn't turn the 2nd caber were placed according to the clock face scores they received for turning the 1st caber. Any clock face score on the 2nd caber placed the athlete higher than a clock score on the first caber. This also introduced an element of strategy; each caber had 3 rounds, athletes who turned the 1st caber on their 1st try could elect to pass 1 or both of the following rounds & conserve their energy for the 2nd caber, or they could try & improve their score on the 1st caber.

Yes, there were hiccups that will be smoothed out before our next Games, but t
his will be SOP for the Games I direct for the foreseeable future.

While clock face scores are subject to an individual judges opinion, in my experience Judges are more consistent with how they score clock face marks than compared to degrees.

At the end of the day (so far as Judges are concerned) the most important thing, imo, is that all of the athletes in a given class are held to the same standard.

I agree, if an athlete can't turn the first caber, or clear the first height, they need to get stronger. If you don't like the score a Judge gives you on caber, then don't leave it up to the Judges opinion.

Our games lose their value if anyone can step on the field & say they turned a caber or break a novice record.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 3:34pm
Joel I agree with you for sure....
The only issue I see with the qualifying caber is most athletes will opt to take 3 attempts on it... that way if they don't score on the 2nd caber they will use the first one for scoring. so usually amounts to 6 attempts on the caber.
If you have 12 throwers per class... that's 72 attempts... Yikes....lol

So that's part of the reason I like the AD's and Judges to pick a Stick appropriate for a class and go with it.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:20pm
definitely agree with you Jay. 72 chances for the cabers we work so hard to crete & finish properly to be broken... it makes me cringe. Finishing the cabers the way Mark Markley instructed me was a huge success & I only had 1 out of the 15 get broken.

I used the bradshaw ratings to decide which cabers would be used for each class. I used the basic template of men's A's 8-900, B's 6-700, C's 5-600 & Womens A's 4-500, B's 3-400, C's 2-300. LW & masters got tricky as the skill levels are so varied. I then looked at what cabers I had available & plugged in sticks as close to those guidelines as best as I could.

How did you decide yours?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:25pm
Basically the same method as you... However after doing these games for a number of years I know which classes will be able to use which caber. I also know most of the athletes. My A stick is 18x 90 but has Zero taper.... its a very challenging stick which if you are and A and have a desire to turn Pro..(Which every A should) you need to be able to turn technically challenging sticks.

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 12:49pm
In my opinion, selecting the 'right' stick for a group is one of the toughest tasks for any judge. Being able to consistently choose a stick that only gets turned by the top three or four people in a group is one of the hallmarks of a great judge. This is much easier with A or Pro athletes since they provide useful input as they are generally aware of their actual abilities and they have a good sense of how tough a stick will be. Much tougher when judging other athletes.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/16 at 11:09am
Carlos, I think you may be living in an imaginary world, with all the classes we have now you'd have to have a truckload of cabers at every games. Plus, a judge may not be familiar with the athletes he has on a given day. For me it's easier because I generally only judge the pro class but even then I'm stuck with whatever cabers are available. A final note, it most definitely is important who finished 4th or 7th, etc. when $ is involved and I can also tell you not having degree scores can affect the overall placing, I recalculated the pros at Sacramento and it would have changed the placings ($).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic