Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

WFD 1st turn questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJTennison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WFD 1st turn questions
    Posted: 5/03/16 at 3:12pm
Looking for some help out of the back on my weights... I've progressed a bit and have had some success with landing open on 1st and open on 2nd (left foot in bucket slightly behind right, heel/toe) but am struggling with "applying force" to the implement to aid in speed at sprint phase. I've read several throwers mention landing "closed off" on the first turn, I'm assuming to increase the time available to apply force leading into the sprint phase...  where force increases velocity in the sprint phase and finish - instead of just relying on gravity to carry the implement to a big finish. I'm struggling with catching soon enough to apply much force by the time my feet get down the implement is in danger of passing me and I just don't have time. Looking for any ideas on how you guys have tackled this problem.... I'm assuming I'm not the first to have it.

Thanks,
Daniel Tennison
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/16 at 4:18pm
You can't apply force to it if both feet aren't on the ground and if you land closed off to do this that isn't a bad thing. It sounds like your focused too much on getting your left foot in that open position. It doesn't need to be there. Ideally you want to have both feet down and catch the weight in at least the 9 o'clock position or sooner trig being 12. You may also be in too much of a rush to sprint. You need to feel the weight as soon as your feet are down.
Try starting your workout with just doing your first turn and dropping the weight. Video yourself if you have to and watch where the weight is when both feet are down. When that is good add the sprint but don't worry about the release just focus on the first turn and sprint.
DJTennison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJTennison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/16 at 12:32pm
thank you, I'll start by dissecting the cast and first turn. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic