Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: skeeterj

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: skeeterj
    Posted: 5/24/16 at 3:17pm
My name is John Stafinski, I live in Beaufort South Carolina, I severed in Afghanistan in 2009 and 2010 in the US Army and came home in a wheel chair doctors said i may never walk again but after 14 months i decided to do something with my life, I went to school to be a personal trainer, and started walking and haven't stopped since. In 2014 i started competing in Strongman competitions and became Alabama Strongest man and North Carolina Novice Strongest man. I went to nationals in Sept. 2013 for the North American Strongest man. In 2015 i met Bob Gourlay at the games in Florida, absolutely love the games and have played in 4 so far the last games i played in were in Blairesville on Saturday and i tore my Bicep tendon, Now almost a year later i am back and ready to train and compete again this time i am going to be safe and train smart, I know injuries will happen hopefully i can minimize the damage. Any way on a better note i am using the advice of a Veteran competitor and i will be posting daily pics and stories if anyone wants to follow on Facebook feel free my Facebook email is " cowboystud@rocketmail.com"

Edited by C. Smith - 5/30/16 at 11:55am
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/16 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by skeeterj skeeterj wrote:

I went to school to be a personal trainer, and started walking and haven't stopped since

you're awesome.
jammin on the one.
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/16 at 7:19pm
Thank you thats very kind of you
Let The Games Begin
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/16 at 8:50pm
Come back to Blairsville in a few weeks.  We'd be glad to have you.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/16 at 6:40am
I am definitely interested in it i am going to find out if the sign up sheet is so open
Let The Games Begin
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/16 at 8:39am
Veteran competitor here.  Getting John on here so everyone can help him.  Of course when he tore the bicep last year I was the one who wrapped the ice on his arm.  I must not make much of a impact on folks now days as he did not even remember me?  As he is telling me his story this Monday introducing himself,  I had to stop him and ask what game he tore it at, and sure enough. 

Post your training from Monday, sets, reps and poundages. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/16 at 9:12am
If it is any consolation, i apologies for that first of all. And secondly part of the battles i fight after my injuries in the military TBI is an issue i fight and work hard on everyday memory is horrible, i cant remember names even if i see your face, if i dont have interactions with someone frequently i can never remember again i apologize for that. I bet you i remember you now seeing as you are going to be training me
Let The Games Begin
CharlesFay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/16 at 9:44am
Thank your for your service to our country and your sacrifice. Best of luck in this sport, it is a ton of fun. Coming back from a bicep tendon tear sucks, I have done it myself. Welcome.
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/16 at 9:55am
Thank you i am very much looking forward to it
Let The Games Begin
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/16 at 12:38pm
 I am just figuring out ho to use this blog so I am going to catch up both days today:
 First I want to mention a Thank you to Mr. Myles "The Mule" for taking the time to work with me and be my trainer I look forward to learning everything I can from you.
   Day 1: Monday the 23rd
 Started out with some Prehab work on the rotator cuffs I agree with the Mule have to try to maintain and strengthen the joints and keep them as strong and healthy as possible
  3 sets of rotator cuff exercises to get them warmed up.
  Over head dumbbell presses worked up to 2 sets of 90 lbs at 6 reps.( I feel like I could have pushed harder but decided to slow it up a bit with It being my first day going at it like this.
  3 sets of incline presses to failure wound up doing a total of 7 sets had to keep going up to get to a failure range of 8 reps wound up at 280  lbs
  Hammer Incline press 3 sets of 12 reps
  Cable fly's 3 sets of 12
By this time my chest is beyond destroyed
  Then I did 3 sets of 20 reps side laterals and upright rows it has been years since I did upright rows but I feel awesome.
   I finished with 3 sets of assisted dips at 100 pounds assist to failure the rep range was around 23

Day 2: Wednesday 25th
  Warmed up on tread mill for 5 minutes then got on the elliptical did sprints basically but without the impact of sprinting went 50 the 70 then 90% 30 seconds on 1 minute off or 30/60s as they are commonly known. then did 3 sets at 100%
  Went strait to leg press 15reps or so and worked up to 8 reps in 4 sets
   Leg extensions 4 sets 14 reps weight range reaching close to failure
   Leg curls I did the same concept as the latter
  For my last exercise I went to Squat after my legs are already destroyed hahah but it felt good flushing the blood thru the legs did 5 sets with knee wraps started at 300 pounds for 8 went up to 450 for 4

Let The Games Begin
skeeterj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeterj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/16 at 10:15am
So this weekend was an absolute blast Friday evening at 6 o'clock was the parade in Greenville South Carolina for the Gallabrea games at Furman University super fun hanging out with the group and Mr John Allan Saturday the games commence had a phenomenal show for Memorial Day weekend with the missing man flyover and the attention to the Fallen Soldiers tributes that went on super awesome show thanks to the AD for allowing me to compete and be on the same field I took seventh in the caber with a 12 o'clock on my second throw only because the first throw slip through my fingers that's what I get for not using tacky the rest of the show went well as far as no injuries and no sign of pain in my bicep which is my biggest concern after tearing it almost a year ago I did not place as well as I wanted to but more importantly psychologically my head has figured out that my body is ready to move forward and now I am going to tear the training up until my next chance to compete of course I will not be competing until I get a chance to train properly and work with the mule and then we will see how far I can go very much looking forward to the training sessions coming up stay tuned I will be posting lots of pictures and videos on Facebook as well as on this blog
Let The Games Begin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic