Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

NASGA Forum Dead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASGA Forum Dead?
    Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:31am
Has this forum truly died? Is there anything that can be done to bring it back? or have these types of forums simply been replaced by facebook?

It used to be an incredible resource for me 5-10 years ago before it became so full of trolls. Every once in a great while there's still something of value posted here, & the Database is still the single greatest most meaningful digital resource our community has.

It's odd, but this weekend I found myself reminiscing about this place & everything it did for me starting out years ago. I know find myself wondering if there's something I can do to help this forum be useful to the newer generation of throwers.

Any thoughts?
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:46am
There is still good stuff on here. Just ignore the trolls.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 12:43pm
I still use it for the training log aspect. I suppose I could keep it offline on a word document (or handwritten but he laziness) but I like going on and typing it up, it's something to keep me accountable on my training, whether people read it or not. 

I suppose it's not the resource it used to be and Facebook has stepped it up in that department. 

Change sucks sometimes. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 1:35pm
Great post and question.... we debated this on my Facebook page for the last few weeks.
Most of the feedback I got was from Pros who said they only used NASGA for Database and Calender. That the Trolls were making it hard to even read posts. People are afraid to post or ask questions for fear of being lambasted by people who have nothing better to do then pick fights. There are really only a handful of these guys that do it and Im sure most of you know the names... or call signs.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 3:28pm
I believe it was Valenti that said it started going downhill fast when some amateur B was telling Jim McGoldrick that he was explaining the caber wrong after someone asked a legitimate question about it. 

Yes those people need to be ignored and even thrown out. This could be a good resource again.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by JoelT39 JoelT39 wrote:

I believe it was Valenti that said it started going downhill fast when some amateur B was telling Jim McGoldrick that he was explaining the caber wrong after someone asked a legitimate question about it. 

Yes those people need to be ignored and even thrown out. This could be a good resource again.

+1 Joel
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:02am
I still find it useful to see what is going on in the other side of the pond. I do the training log to try and get my own training going again and it is good to see the results from various games.

Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by bigirish01 bigirish01 wrote:

Great post and question.... we debated this on my Facebook page for the last few weeks.

See, I'll bet there's a bunch of us who never saw that. Isn't there a NASGA FB page somewhere we could use?
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 1:43pm
I bought two old Milo magazines with an outstanding article on Scottish hammer throwing by Carlos Borges that I would not have known about had this forum not existed. I also am building WOB standards based on guidance I found here
One of the hardest parts for me in using the forum is not knowing who is who and what their history/background is in throwing. Many users don't have their real names, so I am unsure if the reply is from a pro or a noob, like me.
There is also a big gap in content 2011 was good, than Matt Vincent posted a bunch of stuff in his pre protoTube, Instastuff days, and then...
Problem is Facebook just needs to make changes, like they do every now and then, and a lot of content will be lost if it was kept there.
If there was anything I could do to keep this from dying, I would be more than willing.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by JoelT39 JoelT39 wrote:

Someone was talking about this at a games I was at recently and it brought a great chuckle. I read a lot of the training logs and I guess we need to just talk it up more to people? Encourage people of all levels that we see at games to try and bring it back to life somewhat?

I'm with Jeff in that I type my log up for a few reasons (and it was actually started in my powerlifting days when people legitimately asked me what I was doing - which was cool), but I thank those that do because it gives me something to see and think about. Also, I love getting feedback on my training. Has made HUGE differences. Like if X person is throwing big numbers, what is their training looking like? What's their focus? etc. Maybe just to spread the word a bit more. Like does anyone in the HG community have anything to hide with their training? HAHA  I'd be really interested to see what more of my local competition does on a daily basis as that would motivate me to perform and train harder as well as drive competition among individuals across the board.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 3:57pm
 what Valenti said was golden! but he had the nasga pro board to fall back onWink
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 4:44pm
The biggest issue has been the trolling.... anything that gets posted will sooner or later suffer these fools...
This is part of what Valenti was talking about. The people who would normally post 5 or 10 years ago wont touch this site because of this crap.
I remember when McGoldrick, Vierra, Betz and a host of legends would routinely come on and give advice or discussion.... Invariably the posts would turn into a troll pissing match... now these guys wont post here.
When I first started the games in the late 90's this is where I got all the info I needed.
You can look at my last post on the LW class where I asked a simple question and right off the bat... troll... then I get PM'd and called a whole bunch of stuff... Its ridiculous.
Trolls are killing this forum. This should be more then a database and calender
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 5:15pm
Well put Jay.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:20pm
Yep def not the same as it was when I started and I am sometimes hesitant to give this site out to new people.  I think whether it's this site or a "Nasga FB" page it comes down to the mods when people are unwilling / can't have a civil dialogue.  It's a thankless job with probably no pay so why make their job harder.  

Here is another thought - Kurt is funding this site on what ever advertising and donation money might be coming in and more than likely mostly out of his own pocket.  What happens when he decides it's no longer worth it and shuts it down.  Bye calendar, database and countless training logs.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:50pm
I certainly don't have the history or mileage of the luminaries in the sport, but I post training and questions here regularly and try to be positive with everyone.  I'm not on FB, so this is where I interact with my friends and mentors in the games.  These are the people who are helping me throw better, but even more importantly taught me to be a better thrower.

I'm still in.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/16 at 11:43pm
ls this forum dead?  Not by a long shot!  And l don't think that there's one out there that would lure me away from this one.  Not SHA or SAAA or CSAF or you-name-it.  Speaking of which, l'm not sure why CSAF hasn't just shut down.  Check it out, in May of this year, l posted that applications for the Claw were available.  lt's still up near the top of the page and halfway down the page (past a half dozen furniture ads) you can still read my similar posting from back in 2014!! 

Trolls?  Yeah, there's trolls.  l've had my share.  l know that l'm a better person than them.  l think that most of us are. 
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:09am
There are several factors, most of which is the general selfishness of people imo.

Facebook/Youtube/Instagram allows "look at me!" people to stand on a stage and talk solely about themselves, even if it's veiled as helping others.  Whether it's done for ego, money, etc... that's the big reason. 

A  forum like this requires people to interact, whereas the former does not.  A forum like this doesn't give the recognition to people that they want.  I think there's a ton of information on here, and there was certainly more when people kept their logs on here.  It ebbs and flows.

As for the trolling, which honestly there is very little here....welcome to the internet.     
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:21am
There is also the aspect, for the most part, of there being finite information regarding what we do, as well as a relatively small number of athletes.   

Training for this sport is extremely simple and getting strong in the gym is extremely simple. 

So what that leaves is some really basic questions that have been asked a bunch, or a some super technical questions that only a few can really answer while having a great degree of validity.  This is referenced in the Valenti scenario above.  If someone is trying to throw 45'+ in the HWFD, how much help is the guy that throws 25' gonna be? 
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:42am
I still like the place.  I like to post my training here and people at games always talk to me about my blog.  The site has some a holes, but everyplace does now days.  Keyboard warriors are tough to beat.  Wonder who you were reading Justin when you got the laugh on the game you just did?  I can contact people here that I have no other way to reach.  Just a resource and it is up to you how you use it.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:40am
I used to read and post on the NASGA board on a regular basis but like many others, I got frustrated with the amount of useless B.S. that was ultimately part of every discussion. "Clever" trolls and dickheads that insist on turning every thread into a comedy routine...it would be nice to see it return to a useful tool for highland games athletes and organizers.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:55am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Training for this sport is extremely simple and getting strong in the gym is extremely simple. 

says the most gifted guy in the room.....lol.....your the best.....LOL
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Steve Conway Steve Conway wrote:

I used to read and post on the NASGA board on a regular basis but like many others, I got frustrated with the amount of useless B.S. that was ultimately part of every discussion. "Clever" trolls and dickheads that insist on turning every thread into a comedy routine...it would be nice to see it return to a useful tool for highland games athletes and organizers.

This is the point.... sure there may be a "few" trolls... but like a virus they will bring down the whole site.
Ive seen a lot of people get disrespected on the internet that don't deserve it... Steve is one of them.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 11:13am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

If someone is trying to throw 45'+ in the HWFD, how much help is the guy that throws 25' gonna be? 

The question is.... if someone is throwing the HWFD 25' How much help can the guy throwing 45' be?   A lot in my opinion. But that guy may not want to post his opinion to help because of all the negativity by the trolls....

Speaking of which... Has anyone noticed how quiet they are when they know we talking about them?
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 3:10pm
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 3:57pm
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:14pm
It's just too easy to focus on the unpleasant 5-10% instead of the awesome 90-95% of what happens on this site. Are there people on here that you don't like, or opinions that you don't like, and so on? Hell yes! But there are also a whole lot of really knowledgeable and incredibly helpful people. Even some of those that get tagged as 'trolls' often make very useful or informative posts.

The repetitious battles (spin vs. stand, steroids, etc.) also serve a purpose as the only conversation that never advances is the one you never have. Can they be tiresome if you've been on here a long time? Yes they can and if that's where you're at then look away when they happen. But trying to shut them down doesn't do any good at all. The moderator (Craig) does an excellent job at monitoring the personal attacks and I think he maintains a balance by staying out of it until it totally degrades into something of negative value. We don't need idiotic 'safe spaces' or 'trigger warnings' here.

By God, get on the board and EXERCISE YOUR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!!!!! And don't forget to take your mama's advice and stay CLASSY while you do it.

That is all.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:22pm
Im not talkin about safe places.. I can dish it out as well as take it... But when you have guys who have been long term members not posting anymore because of it... Its not a turn the other cheek proposition... and why should any of us have to deal with BS like these PMs when all we are doing is asking some questions or looking for advice.
I was a Moderator for Marunde Muscle from the time it started and I can tell you thet Jess or any of the rest of us would not put up with the amount BS and Harassment that goes on here... either on the forum or on PM...
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:32pm
It is a shame when people walk away. Anyone remember when Udo Beyer was posting under a pseudonym on The Ring about 10 years ago? (Or maybe it was Ulf Timmerman, I forget the details sometimes). He and John Smith had a sequence of brilliant exchanges that were a bit testy if you read them wrong. A big bunch of folks went after Udo (Ulf) in 'defense' of John (a defense John didn't need at all, he can defend himself). It ended with Udo (Ulf) walking away and The Ring lost an incredibly gifted and knowledgeable contributor. 
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:56pm
and there in lies the issue... we lose Udo or Ulf..either one is great... and lose a wealth of info... in exchange for people who can talk a great game but have nothing else to contribute.
I met Ricky Bruch (RIP)on FB and we would chat about throwing and lifting, He would follow my posts and watch my Videos and let me know what I could do to change things... it was amazing.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:55pm
I'm with Jay. Life is just too short to be criticized by someone no where near a top level so the best move on. These people may have something good to contribute but sometimes it's better to listen and ask constructive questions then talk. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic