FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Special Olympics style Highland games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Olympics style Highland games
    Posted: 6/29/16 at 7:17pm
Has anybody ever try this?

I am going to give it a go, and have some ideas on how to tweak things.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 3:28pm
Never heard of anyone doing but it well be very rewarding ! Have a lot of achievments in life,sports,coaching and one of the most rewarding events was being judge for NYS Special Olympics Powerlifting-the drive,joy of these athletes was so empowering..good stuff..hope it works out
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 8:47pm
I believe the TCAA did it for one young man.  If I remember correctly, they had him throw the weights that the women used that day but ran him with the Bs.

Duncan, Brittney -- did I get that correct?

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Beth Burton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/16 at 12:33am
In 2014 at the Phoenix Highland games we did a small Special Olympics event. The athletes did a stone, a weight and most attempted the caber. They marched in during the opening ceremonies and had a fantastic time.

We currently have a special Olympics athlete in Southern California whose family has been involved in the games for a long time and he has competed in 3 full games doing all 9 events. He has a lot of support from the other athletes on the field and is getting more confident with each games.

I would love to be involved if a games is looking to get Special O involved.
Beth Burton

Brittney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/16 at 8:03pm
Tom is correct. When EJ throws with us he uses the women's weights and stones, and skips out on caber and/or height events depending on how he and his dad were feeling about those events that day. 

I know several other folks have done ParaThrowers groups, so may have some additional modification suggestions. 

Best of luck with what I promise will be a deeply rewarding event. 
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; so is alot. -Albert Einstein
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/16 at 10:37am
Thanks for the information, we really appreciate it.  ARC of the Quad-Cities are helping us with this event, and will be run under their name at our festival.  I have to go through so brief training.   From my understanding, one of the motivation is budget cuts which effected the ability to do events like this for the individuals.

Taylor Hurry is one of those T&F college thrower and now highland gamer.  He has a degree dealing with developmental disabilities.  He works in the field and was the one who came up with the idea.

This is what we are planning (so far)
* We are going to use women's implements. 

*I have concerns about height events and will be fine tuning how or if we do them.  We may use a two handed medicine ball for height for those in chairs.... 

* We have also reviewed the rules used for para-olympic style highland games as well as the shot put rules for Special Olympics.

* We are limited the number to no more than 10 and do not expect to get that many.  We have a further condition that they need to come out 4 times to practice the events before they can be in competition.  This will give me confidence in this idea as well as an opportunity to fine tune how to run the events. 

Again, thanks for the info.
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Usadisvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usadisvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/16 at 12:13am
I throw para-chair adaptive Highland games , if I can help message me!just got back to Tennessee from the Calgary Highland Games last week, throwing in Charleston tomorrow... today I guess technically lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic