Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ยป Nasgaweb Forums ยป General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - North American Scottish Athletics Championship XII
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

North American Scottish Athletics Championship XII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:15am
In this thread, we discuss the imaginary rule regarding prize money and classification. 

Is there even an AD out there that cares or would research enough to know if someone has taken money anyway?

The only issue here is if those 'no money games' should count toward a pro or elite ranking, and the answer is obviously... no, they should not.  
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:45pm
let everyone have a whack at money...you have guys running backyard games( I love them but some are a little more backyard practice compared to an actual games with judges,etc) by having a few friends come and throw and they enter the marks...now for the avergae schmoe ok no biggie but when youre a top amtr and might be taking a spot away from someone who throws at a legit games..thats a no no but we police ourselves and if you want to be that guy be that guy..you know who you are guys.....heck some guys throw pro in 2016 and now are back in amtr ranks in 2017-no one says anything so go for it...let everyone(or at least the best) get paid
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

In this thread, we discuss the imaginary rule regarding prize money and classification. 

Is there even an AD out there that cares or would research enough to know if someone has taken money anyway?

The only issue here is if those 'no money games' should count toward a pro or elite ranking, and the answer is obviously... no, they should not.  

That's so simple and logical. It'll never work.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/17 at 9:12pm
I had a coversation today with one of our women's throwers. Someone who respect greatly. She didn't mention it directly, but it made me rethink my original post on this thread. When I said "all classes" what I really meant was the men's classes. I didn't consider how the women class might be affected and now I regret that. I hope that as this topic is discussed and decisions are made that the women's class continues to be as great as it has always been. In my opinion they are just as much the show as us fellas.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:51pm
north/south numbers should count for Ams... Minnesota should probably count. The backyard thing is silly... Shit, we almost had an impromptu backyarder at the top of a mountain in Utah yesterday... should have done it... could have hit some BIG numbers Wink.
the database isn't perfect, but it's what we have. I want to throw with the best out there. If one of those is still an Am (for whatever reason... none are good ones), then so be it. 
But yeah, the Am numbers should only count from reputable games... we all know how phony some of these numbers are... but mistakes are made. Hell, I had a 48' BS on the board last year!!!!! 
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:25pm
And a 50' + HWFD, which is, of course, impossible to do and clearly a result of copious variations of cheating. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:15am
It's obvious that some states don't have gravity. Because when people leave those states their numbers go straight into the toilet
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/17 at 4:15pm
You're the WORST!!!
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 8:15am
Ahahahahahahaha!

What FFFFFing year is it? It's like I never stopped reading this place :D
Colin Mathieson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Mathieson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:50pm
The clock is ticking down to the application deadline of 11:59pm on June 24th.  If you're still interested in applying for the CLAW! and haven't done so yet, there is still time!  I just updated the applicants list, so once again, if there is no city/state next to your name on this, then I don't have that info.  For the Elite applicants I need Bios.

Ken, Mark and I have spent a couple Sundays now prepping hammers and weights and Ken has added a couple of very nice cabers to the fold to select from, with a few older/cracked cabers being removed.  We're looking forward to the games!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Mathieson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/17 at 1:04pm
In response to the questions and concerns regarding the rankings used for selecting the Athletes:
  • We will follow Rule #2 with the interpretation that results from games that do not have a Pro class but provide $1500 towards the Super A or A Class will count.
  • All other rules will be followed as written.
  • Only Standing WOB results will count.
  • Results set at games that have known field advantages (slopes for example) will not count.
  • The entry deadline for applications and results entered into the database is 6/24/17 at midnight Pacific time.
  • A spreadsheet of the results that were used in the selection process will be shared with all Athletes who applied.
  • Any questions, concerns or issues regarding the results used for consideration can be directed to Kaelyne Mowell (kpmowell@gmail.com)
mrmilliron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmilliron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 6:33am
I had a hard time finding pro games this year, new to the circuit, lack of knowing ADs and finished 4-7 place in all my pro games last year... so this year I booked a 4 week trip to Scotland to compete and just get better. With coaching and grad school and lack of being able to get into early pro games, emunclaw and nationals in PA will be impossible to attend. I am currently going to compete at round hill Highland games in CT as they are close to home and are an amateur game. I paid the fee and told the AD that I will only take three attempts and none of my marks will be posted.

That being said I do believe there should be (gold level) amateur games where pro athletes can compete and have marks count under certain guidelines. It's like how usatf checks and demands certain aspects to sanction meets. If the pro athlete only takes three attempts and the games have been scheduled with events and implements have been weighed and measured with two non athlete games officials the games should count.

Everyone gets videos know, pretty easy to see sketchy shit. I would be devasted if I threw 50' in hwfd and didn't have it on video, especially a standing wob at 19'6 ๐Ÿ™…๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 7:01am
Its not sketchy shit Jeffy.   It the fact your throwing a DEMO.   Theres no pressure of competition.  Its a glorified practice man.   C'mon.   
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 7:05am
Originally posted by mrmilliron mrmilliron wrote:

That being said I do believe there should be (gold level) amateur games where pro athletes can compete and have marks count under certain guidelines. It's like how usatf checks and demands certain aspects to sanction meets. If the pro athlete only takes three attempts and the games have been scheduled with events and implements have been weighed and measured with two non athlete games officials the games should count.

I disagree.  Money issue asside - Pro athletes throw pro games and Ams throw legit Ams games if you want your marks to count towards something worthwhile.  An Ams homework is to learn the nuances of the events, venues and build the relationships with the ADs that lead to future invites.  Too many classes now, why muddy the waters further.

Edited by AlDargie - 6/25/17 at 11:01am
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmilliron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 11:26am
Too much like a practice, moving real slow and easy. And hey Tony, ๐Ÿ˜
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 7:54pm
Thank you Colin and Queen. Perfect response to legitimate concerns.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 8:02pm
Sorry Jeff. It's hard for you to find games because you didn't do the work first before you went pro. It's not just about numbers, it's about building relationships. Also attitude while on the field. That said, I hope you get it figured out because you have a lot of potential., and I'd like to see you on the field again.

As for your suggestion...

No
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/17 at 9:27pm
Jeff, you will be a great addition to the pro circuit but agree 100% with Nathan Parker...the rules to get into the Celtic(and eumaclaw a bit but most of that was done by Wally O)were put in place to have a fair system to grade the pros and reward the top 10 for the year...has their been hiccups and blips yes a few but far and few between..one thing highland games is T&F,its a unique quirky sport and has some longstanding traditions. One of those is nothing is handed to you! You have to reach out,smmooze,network and like Nathan said contact the ADs...all the pros on the circuit have done their legwork..competed previously as an amtr..you have to contact and do the legwork..its tough as some games for years will have the same salty pros but it's the system the highland games have..you basically have to be the master of self promotion. I remember my first year at Loon,the amtrs were in awe of the pros(as they should have) but what struck me was a paper Dr Bill showed me..it was Ryan Vierra s letter or resume of his accomplishments to get into the pro class at Loon. I mean he was at this time 3 or 4 time world champ but was promoting his 300+Wins as well as his records. He was promoting himself! It's one of the quirks you have to do it but it's worth it
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 8:55am
I can give a few examples of top pros that didn't get into games because of the relationship with the AD. It's not all about the numbers. 
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 10:20am
There are way more examples of people who have gotten into games because of relationships over guys who have the #'s.  I have fit in that category. I have back doored my way into a couple big games because of the relationships I have with AD's and sponsors. Ask Ryan Stewart, he will tell you. Wink   If you have big #'s as an AM but haven't done the traveling or "Footwork" its a risk you take turning pro early. Sometimes it works, sometimes i doesn't.    
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmilliron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Sorry Jeff. It's hard for you to find games because you didn't do the work first before you went pro. It's not just about numbers, it's about building relationships. Also attitude while on the field. That said, I hope you get it figured out because you have a lot of potential., and I'd like to see you on the field again.

As for your suggestion...

No, love you

Eghhh I tried... I did move to fast into the pro group, I had contradicting voices from the greats. I think the Highland games pro class should be like wwe wrestling and each athlete has its special powers and character type. Like me no heighting in wob and throwing a chair. I feel like the crowd loves that!! Passionate performance . ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธโ˜ ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡

But this is why I've been saving up money to go to Scotland, to get a better understanding and be more appreciative of the sport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmilliron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 5:09pm
Absolutely true Dan, that's very impressive. I'll do the leg work and promote. I've been convincing other coaches and throwers to do Highland games. In a few years there will be a few olympians in the sport. (Mason Finley, Sam mattis, ryan whiting etc.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Mathieson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 12:45am
I've just posted the preliminary cut list for the Claw 2017!  I'll be sending emails to those making the initial cut asking for confirmation of acceptance.  Expect them tomorrow evening as I'd like to get some sleep and still have to work tomorrow. Sleepy  
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:46am
Wow, that really screwed Riley.   What games did you score him as?  From a quick glance he should have been scored at Ohio Scottish Games, Central Florida (North/South), The Arnold, Smokey Mountain, and Dublin Irish Festival

From my understanding, Dublin provided hotel rooms to athletes that might eclipse that $1500 mark. And after doing some scoring, I have him at 7500+ points that puts him towards the top of the alternate list, if not, on the go list.

Hate to see a guy throwing so well get left off because of a miscommunication. 
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 11:15am
Correction... 7300+ That should still move him towards the top of the Alternate list

And how did Damien jump Jeff? Was something removed from Jeff's scores?
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 11:40am
Fairly sure if they count the recent Chicago games, then 0 I earned in caber lowers my aggregate. I just need to turn more cabers!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 11:58am
Shouldn't be an issue. Chicago was on 6/17/17, The Claw board runs form 6/16/16-6/15/17. It will be a good start to next years Claw though ;)

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 2:08pm
That's odd, even if Chicago was accidentally counted I scored a zero there as well. Robin jumped both of us as well, so not sure whats going on there.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 2:37pm
My understanding is that they counted every game through last weekend (June 24th and 25th).

I believe they wanted the cutoff to match up with the application deadline...not 100% sure on that though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Mathieson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/17 at 10:00pm
Robin, you are correct in that The Queen & I agreed that games through this last weekend would be counted. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic