Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Are Chains Necessary?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epdagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Chains Necessary?
    Posted: 5/03/17 at 1:27pm
The rules for weight for distance state "The handle can either be attached directly to the weight or attached with a length chain". My question is, does it have to be chain or would a sufficient and proper length cable be within the "spirit" of the rule? Of course, I know that you can't retro fit old weights to cables because the weight would be incorrect.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:14am
People have used "tradition" to defend a position they like while in other instances/ debates attack tradition by pointing out all things that have changed over the years....

Never-the-less, this is a sport rooted in history and culture, does cable fit with it?

What looks more impressive to crowd? Chain or wire?

What fits into the myths some announcers use to entertain the crowd? Chain or cable

Weights are mostly thrown without a cage. Which has less chance of coming apart?

Liability insurance costs: one incident anywhere in the country and all festivals pay for it going forward.

I hope that gives you enough reason to use chain, and finally, Rules say chain, use chain

Edited by McSanta - 6/17/17 at 11:34am
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic