Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Serious as a heart attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious as a heart attack
    Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:18pm
Here's a fun topic. Have any of you had heart attacks and continued with throwing? My  wife is pushing hard for me retire from this crazy sport after having a heart attack in September. And I get it, but I love it and want to continue. My doctor hasn't weighed in yet, but I think he was waiting to get results from the echo-cardiogram which I had last week. (Results were really good BTW). Everybody's situation is going to be different, but I'm reaching out to see if there are any stories like mine I can learn from. BTW, I'm 63, started about 5 years ago in novices, and love getting out there are throwing with the old guys. Thanks for reading this, cheers!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/17 at 7:54am
I am in no way medically qualified, everyone is different, and I am half your age but I think as long as you do things to keep your heart healthy and listen to your doctor, throwing shouldn't tax it too much. I know picking and running with a caber can be a bit exhausting breathing wise, but I would imagine it's good exhaustion? I don't know, but any movement has to be better than none. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/17 at 1:52pm
I have had a quad bypass, a ring sewn into the mitral valve and I only have a 20% ejection fraction.  Can't live not to die.  I do pretty much everything wide open.  Lift, throw, fuc.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
DaveMorgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/17 at 9:45pm
"Can't live not to die."

true enough, and you might be channeling William Wallace (Every man dies, not every man really lives). That's pretty damn amazing you are still rippin with what your ticker has been through. Thanks for the encouragement. My doc cleared me yesterday, so its back in the gym.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 7:08am
It took 2-3 months for the doc to clear you to go back to the gym???
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 8:50am
Dave, that is just the heart list, PM if I can help you.  Sure there are issues day to day and all that you will have to adjust and work with.  Lethargy, dizzyness, diet, recovery, intensity, pharmacology, and your head.  Feel mortal?
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 9:07am
I was on some restriction for lifting--those are gone. I had him put "No restrictions on throwing heavy things" on the visit notes, just for the wife. Big smile
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 9:48am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

That's fairly typical (it seems).  Cardiac rehab is usually 8-12 weeks (if you did it), then cardiologist will evaluate.

I'm not a physician, but I am an exercise physiologist and am familiar with the typical timeline for heart issues.  The physiological (heart) demands of HG are not extreme; since you're cleared to go back to lifting, no reason you can't go back to HG.

Teresa Merrick, Ph.D.
Certified Exercise Physiologist
Bellevue, NE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Sammy68123 Sammy68123 wrote:

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

That's fairly typical (it seems).  Cardiac rehab is usually 8-12 weeks (if you did it), then cardiologist will evaluate.

Thanks Theresa, that's really good to hear. Part of the problem is that the heart attack happen while I was at a competition. Yeah. I don't believe it was triggered by throwing--we had just finished LWFD and I was feeling great--threw a PR. Sat down under a tree and bam, chest pain. It was good it happened where it did bc they had on-site paramedics and there was a great hospital within minutes.

My echo last week was clean--no apparent long term damage, thanks to getting the stent in within 90 minutes they told me.

I'm stoked for 2018.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Sammy68123 Sammy68123 wrote:

I'm not a physician, but I am an exercise physiologist and am familiar with the typical timeline for heart issues. 

IANAD either, but my experience with this sort of stuff is very different. 

I'm also making the assumption that OP is not just fat and lazy (like most MI people), otherwise I could see the need for 12 weeks of cardiac rehab, which usually begins with just 5 minutes of walking, lol. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/17 at 9:13pm
Not fat, but often lazy. I'm 6-4:210, never smoked, low cholesterol, decent diet, always exercised, blah blah blah. FFFFFing genes got me. I dropped out of rehab after two visits. They wanted to start me at 5 minutes on the treadmill after I had already been doing 6 miles at 6,000 ft. It was eye opening though, there are some sick folks there are they are working hard to come back--save their lives.

See you out there

Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/17 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by DaveMorgan DaveMorgan wrote:

Not fat, but often lazy. I'm 6-4:210, never smoked, low cholesterol, decent diet, always exercised, blah blah blah. FFFFFing genes got me. I dropped out of rehab after two visits. They wanted to start me at 5 minutes on the treadmill after I had already been doing 6 miles at 6,000 ft. It was eye opening though, there are some sick folks there are they are working hard to come back--save their lives.

See you out there
Yes, for people who were already exercising, cardiac rehab can end up deconditioning you if you end up sticking to their cookie-cutter protocol (and it IS a cookie cutter approach at times).  Good for you to take matters into your own hands once you recognized that cardiac rehab wasn't going to do much for you.  Also, the other education components of cardiac rehab can be helpful, but you don't get to pick and choose what "subjects" you need and what ones to skip since you already have them covered.

Teresa Merrick, Ph.D.
Certified Exercise Physiologist
Bellevue, NE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic