Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Message about Fred Vaughan from EdMcComas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Message about Fred Vaughan from EdMcComas
    Posted: 5/03/06 at 1:38pm

Thirty years ago this May NASGA was formed. The morning of the first Savannah Highland Game, Gordon Varnadoe, Pete Hoyt, Arnold Pope, Ed Holcombe, Fred Vaughan, Ron Short and Ed McComas met to address some issues that had created friction between the athletes and the promoters of the games. Fred Vaughan was elected the first President. Pete Hoyt took on all the other duties including editor of the paper. The results of this meeting are enjoyed by all the competitors today. Without the promotional efforts of Fred, Ron, Pete and Gordon there would not have been the prize money enjoyed today by the athletes. 

Fred was the first American to win a Highland Game in Scotland. He also represented America in Canada, Nigeria and Australia. He held many of the early U S records. 

Fred had a fall several months ago. He has been in the hospital three times with complications. He is confined to a wheelchair for the near future. He is still living in Myrtle Beach and would enjoy hearing from old friends. His number is 843-449-2973. 

Ed McComas

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/06 at 1:46pm

Classic pics of Fred.  Yes, he is doing a full spin in the 2nd pic with the Stone Mountain stone.  The 4th one is Ed and Fred.

Tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/06 at 3:34pm
I have not met any of these men but I am eternally grateful for their efforts in establishing nasga and work for our sport.  I wish Fred a speedy recovery and will keep him in my thoughts as I am enjoying the sport that he put so much work into.

As an additional note, I just found out that Ed McComas donated half the money needed to fund the athletes at the Southern Maryland Celtic Festival this weekend.  I wish to thank him for his generosity for athletes that he has never met so that we may enjoy the fruits of his labor.  He is truly a man of honor.
"Remember, you don't take respect, you can only give it."     Myles Wetzel-Forum post 10/2/07

Rock the House

hbaileyIII View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbaileyIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/06 at 5:19am
THOSE ARE SOME CLASSIC PICS KURT.  WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE LOCKED AWAY FOR A RAINY DAY???
HB3
Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/06 at 5:59am
I have met Fred and have been and still am a HUGE admirer of
Ed....maybe Adam can' put up some accurate numbers on Ed
and his AGE that he threw his distances...unreal and more
IMPORTANTLY these guys had honor and were ABOVE re-
proach in terms of cutting corners and had the foresite to see
what this sport could evolve into and the FACT that Ed is still
putting his money where is mouth is a testament to what a great
Scottish-American he is...best wishes to Fred on a speedy
recovery !!!
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/06 at 6:59am
Best throws by Ed McComas in the 1979 season (keep in mind that this was before Americans learned how to throw the hammer):

16lb stone: 49' 8.5"
28lb weight: 73' 9.75"
56lb weight: 37' 5"
22lb hammer: 88' 4"
16lb hammer: 99'
WOB: 14' 6"

I don't know his exact age, but he set a couple of records in the 50-54 age group in 1985 - so he was in at least his mid-40s when he hit these marks.
Mark Kreafle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Kreafle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/06 at 10:09am
Ed would have been 45Yrs young in 1979. He is the one who got me started in the Games in 1980. I had the great pleasure of throwing with almost all of the guys listed in the beginning post of this topic.
joeledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/23 at 9:23pm
Hello,
A very close friend of mine is Fred Vaughan's son.  I also knew Mr. Vaughan.  Where can I find more photos or videos of Fred for my buddy Eric Vaughan (actual name Fred).  My buddy is absolutely technically inept.  His dad, Fred, passed 10 or so years ago... and I am attempting to collect as much as I can for my friend.  Any help will be appreciated.  
Thank you,
Joel Edge

joeledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/23 at 9:25pm
I posted a reply elsewhere,
however, I am looking for other photos and videos of Fred Vaughan, a buddy's dad.  My friend is IT illiterate and am looking on his behalf.
Thank you
Joel Edge
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/23 at 3:51pm
"The Scottish Athletic Events" by Virginia Vroblesky. It was published in 1988, and is long out of print, but you may be able to track down a copy online somewhere.

Dave Barron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic