Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

How many games in a row should I go to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarylB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many games in a row should I go to?
    Posted: 9/01/04 at 2:54am
Just wondering if there is a reason not to compete in, say, 5 games in a row. What do you all think. I'm a 45 year old master with three kids that go and throw in different classes. Gimme some input! I'm thinking of (and planning on) Buffalo, Mo; Tulsa,OK; MacPherson, KS; Kirksville, MO; and then St. Louis.
Yeah, those are all my kids. Same wife. Yes, there are eight.
DennisH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:00am

I did three Games in a row on consecutive weekends.  I set six PR's in the last one.  Then, after three weeks off, I had my worst Games ever.  For five consecutive weeks, it will likely depend on the quality of your rest, rather than the quality of your training.

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:08am
Why not try it?  See how you feel along the way, and adjust your plans accordingly.

Personally, I'm ready for near-max throws about 3 days after a games, so limiting practice volume between games would leave me pretty much OK to compete a week later.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
JohnPreston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPreston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:19am

Originally posted by DarylB DarylB wrote:

I'm a 45 year old master with three kids that go and throw in different classes. 

Your kids throw? That's great.

No offense, but I'd be asking my wife about throwing 5 consecutive weeks, not a bunch of folks who WISH they could throw 5 consecutive weeks....

JGarrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGarrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:22am

Daryl,

During the season this summer I threw 7 times in 4 weeks. We had two weekends of back to back games, throwing in competion on both Saturday and Sunday. All results were very good for myself improving steadily throughout. Although the back to back games are killers. Saturday's were good but the numbers were down slightly on the Sunday games.

It is definitely possible to throw five games consecutively. Although I would have to agree with Wayne on the training volume between games, you would have to reduce the volume. Maybe go with light practices, technique(footwork drills) and visualization.

Give it a shot. You know your body best and can always use this opportunity as a guide to judge how much you can and possibly can't do as an athlete. Good luck!

Jim Garrick

Alberta Scottish Athletic Association

Edited by JGarrick
TRAIN HARD AND THROW FAR!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:31am
I'd also add that I believe that adults (i.e., Masters) are more likely to pick their volume properly and avoid injury in this situation than kids (i.e., Ams).  You know, the whole "experience and treachery overcoming youth and exuberance" thing.

-Wayne
DarylB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarylB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 3:49am

Wow! Thanks for the info and opinions. I did four games in a row in April and May and felt really good about the whole thing. I have only been throwing for just over a year, but am getting better all the time. My boys are 190's. Nathan 18 and Isaac 16. They are no. 1 and 6 ranked in the 190's. Emily is 13 and is ranked in the top 25 in the women. I have a dancer and a couple of pipers, so these weekend things are for the whole family. Now if I could just find a sponser to pay for all those entry fees....

Hope to get out to some far away games next year and throw with some of you from the coasts. Thanks for the support and help.

Edited by DarylB
Yeah, those are all my kids. Same wife. Yes, there are eight.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 4:01am
Originally posted by DarylB DarylB wrote:

Now if I could just find a sponser to pay for all those entry fees....

Yeesh, no kidding.

-Wayne

AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 4:36am

Daryl-

I'll see ya'll in Buffalo.

When I ask Mark MacDonald recently "How many games do you compete in during a year?" He replied modestly, "Oh, ... 30 to 34 games."

When you add in all the travel time plus working 2 jobs, he gets one good practice session during the week and then competes on the weekends. And it looks like he's doing okay with that schedule.

Good luck in your training,

-AncientOne

Edited by AncientOne
Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
scampbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/04 at 5:06am

Hey, Daryl

Chad and I are almost in the same boat.  So, we will see you there those weeekends.  He won't be at Buffalo, but I will.  I really think we just got to make sure we don't over do it.  Maybe just back on the throwing training alittle.

Also, I think that of those games, I will pick only a couple to really try to peak at.  Taking off time in the Gym and really going for it.  The others, I will treat like a comp/practice.  Trying to do well, but also taking the time to work on somethings.  Those are my thoughts.

See you at Buffalo,

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic