FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

polanik weights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: polanik weights
    Posted: 9/02/04 at 1:14pm

for those who live in canada,polanik weights are available from jump start athletics  http://www.jumpstartathletics.com/  

i just purchased a 56 and ooh baby.  there was a post on the old board about these weights and trust me they are nice.give ian a call he will help you out.

alberta scottish athletic association
aaron a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/04 at 1:58pm
oh ya,he ships all across the states too
Richard Doria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Doria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/04 at 4:13am

While I appreciate innovation and competition, I think it is wise to remember that there are three, that I know of, men or groups with years of highland games experience who build quality equipment at  very reasonable cost.  Bobby Dodd makes the best weights I've thrown in 16 years of competition; Merle Lawless and Neil Polinus from Illinois do a fine job of practice and competition weights; and there is Old Celt, who advertises on this website, but I have no personal experience with his weights.  While the weights you praise may indeed be "sweet," they are still made as a sideline to their track and field main line.  These three groups mentioned only make highland games weights.  Do as you will and whatever your budget will allow.  I'm just pointing out that there are highland games athletes making quality items right here at home.  Best of luck in your careers.

JohnPreston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPreston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/04 at 4:17am
I don't have any personal experience with Bobby Dodd or Old Celt, but I can't imagine any weigths being better than the Ancient Athletics-Merl and Neil-Weights.  Great quality AND affordable! 
keeper of the internet tartan
caber1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caber1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/04 at 5:09am

I can attest to the fine weights of Bobby Dodd. We've always used his stuff and been nothing but satisfied.

I'd like to win one of his trophies to.

Try,Try And Then Again
Tearlach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tearlach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/04 at 7:43am
I have used " Old Celts " as well as many better known east cost athletes like Dan Woods , Terry James, Dave " Jumbo" McClelland, Wade King and others.  I am very happy with my own set of " Old Celt " weights & 16 # hammer. They are quality weights at an affordiable price. Just thought I might as well offer up my 2 cents worth for Malcolm.
The " Aftermarket Parts " man. And remember " Live everyday like your last leaving this world with no regrets.
       Chuck
K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/04 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by aaron a aaron a wrote:

for those who live in canada,polanik weights are available from jump start athletics  http://www.jumpstartathletics.com/  

i just purchased a 56 and ooh baby.  there was a post on the old board about these weights and trust me they are nice.give ian a call he will help you out.

Aaron, you can probably get that 56 to work. But that one you're referring to is used in a "super weight" event in a few track meets. Polanik now makes a HG specific line with the correct 28, 56 for dist and height weights.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/04 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Richard Doria Richard Doria wrote:

While I appreciate innovation and competition, I think it is wise to remember that there are three, that I know of, men or groups with years of highland games experience who build quality equipment at  very reasonable cost.  Bobby Dodd makes the best weights I've thrown in 16 years of competition; Merle Lawless and Neil Polinus from Illinois do a fine job of practice and competition weights; and there is Old Celt, who advertises on this website, but I have no personal experience with his weights.  While the weights you praise may indeed be "sweet," they are still made as a sideline to their track and field main line.  These three groups mentioned only make highland games weights.  Do as you will and whatever your budget will allow.  I'm just pointing out that there are highland games athletes making quality items right here at home.  Best of luck in your careers.

Hey Rich,

The HG specific weights from Polanik are not a sideline, and are subject to the same close tolerances as the rest of their equipment. I can appreciate loyalty to the various weights that we've used in meets, and I'm still quite fond of the Holcombe weights we use in the SE. I've also used Dodd and Doying weights in competition with success. Much respect to the manufacturers of these weights. Personally I think the handles on Dodd weights are too big, and are a hindrance to hook gripping. Dodd weights are the most expensive of the weights I've used. Doying weights are fine, but the fit and finish is better on Dodd and Holcombe weights. Doying lead hammers are great flyers because the heads are so small, but they won't last in the SE, and I suggest they only be used in competition. Actually, for garage weights, Mike Thompson made the best weights I've ever thrown.

But the bottom line is this: Now we have a world-class manufacturer of T&F equipment willing to make HG weights. The Polanik weights have gone into production, and I believe they are absolutely superior to any other HG weights made because 1) the tolerances are extremely tight, and are indicative of the fact that this type of quality can only be produced in a professional manufacturing facility accustomed to making IAAF certified equipment, 2) the swivel elimates chain jerk and makes a huge difference in the smoothness of the throw. I hope you have an opportunity to try the weights, and you'll be convinced. I believe the price from MF will be in the range of what Dodd weights are sold for, but I am hopeful regarding other buying options.

You can be satisfied with the weights you've got, but I can just about guarantee that the meets that move over to the Polanik weights are going to be turning in the biggest marks for weights that are the correct length and weigh in.

aaron a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/04 at 5:43am

k-monster     

yes i did buy the track weight but a link in the chain and a quick mod to the handle(i am a machinist so for me not a problem) and i got a 56 for distance.JSA can get the highland weights,the 28 i ordered will be here in november and again i am geting it with the triangular handle.I prefer d or triangular handle as ring handles tend to do a number on my hands.

As much as i love Dodd weights(Ihave his 22 hammer head and will be ordering his 16 soon and proably a 56 for height since that is what we throw in Alberta)the price is about the same and I have been training with Ian(he was a world class hammer thrower) an I wished to give him some of my buisness.

Dragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:24pm
I've checked the Jumpstart website, and I've found no trace of the highland games weights.  I haven't seen them on the Polanik website either. (Just the coming soon news) Where can I find them and how much are they? $$
Throw!! There is no finish line!!
JohnPreston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPreston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/04 at 3:46am
There was a pic of one on the old board, but I couldn't find it.
keeper of the internet tartan
Beaux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/04 at 6:45am

I finally have the information on the throwing weights from Polanik.  The 28LB is $142.95 and the 56LB is $204.95.  It will take approximately 5 or 6 weeks for us to receive the weights after your order.  You would receive them in approximately 7 to 8 weeks.  Please give me a call at 800-556-7464 X120 if you would like to place an order.

Thank you,

John Brock

M-F Athletic Co.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/04 at 10:06am

Hopefully M-F knows that there's a 56 wfh in the lineup as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic