FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Deriving the rankings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deriving the rankings
    Posted: 7/02/07 at 10:51am

My head hurts from trying to figure out how the score for the rankings is derived and at the risk of being yelled at to look at some sort of FAQ or previous posts (even though i've already searched), I'm just gonna ask how is it done?

I see the decathalon scoring and how it translated to an individual games' score and I would imagine that the score that is posted in the rankings is a PR based system, but what I don't know is how the numbers translate...  Is the score taken from 8 (1 hammer & 1 Sheaf) 9 (both hammers and 1 Sheaf or vice versa) or 10 (both hammers and both sheafs) events? 

Also, is there a rule regarding a minimun number of competitors in a class for the purpose of recording scores?  In other words, if there is one athlete who competes at the masters level at a games, can his scores be listed on the database by themselves?

Wade Halverson
"The Highlander was a documentary shown in real time"
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/02/07 at 3:01pm

I still need to update the FAQ.  The following is at the bottom of the rankings.  The max possible points is just 1000 x the number of events that were contested.

How are these rankings determined?

Only results from the NASGA database are considered. The results must be from a Games in the USA or Canada. All results will be checked for accuracy. From these results, each athlete's total points for each competition are calculated as follows:

points for an event = athlete's best throw / North American record * 1000

points for caber turned: 1000 - (minutes from 12:00) * (1 point / minute)
points for caber not turned: degrees * (9 points / degree)

The NASGA score for each competition is calculated as: total decathlon points earned / total decathlon points possible * 100

The average NASGA score in the rankings is the average of all the competition NASGA scores for an athlete. Only athletes with three or more competition results in the database are considered for the rankings.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic