FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

New rankings system up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rankings system up
    Posted: 2/19/08 at 6:15am

The new rankings system up and running.  It includes all events and the caber points are base on the 'Betz' system: last place is zero points, and points increment by 10 points per place up to first place (I have to update the rules at the bottom of the page).

Those results that are already entered for this year need the caber places added to generate points based on the new system.

Enjoy.

-Admin
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/08 at 2:26pm
l changed the Claw's entries from last year and it did make a big difference!  Just put the place in parenthesis, i.e. 11:45(3).  Walk in the park!!!
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Mike Wills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/08 at 8:55am
What is going on with the Sheaf Kurt?  I have several sheaf scores in from last year, and it list a zero in the rankings.  I went from a ranking in the 30's with the game score system in place last year, to the 80's with the new system that is penalizing for not having an event (braemar for me), and now to the 180's because it isn't picking up the sheaf.

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/08 at 6:24am

Mike,

The NASGA rankings are only for this year. 

-Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:43am
I'm looking at 2007.  All the changes in ranking stated above hold true for my 2007 rankings...and all the changes have occurred after the end of last season.  It looks like we have gone from the ranking being based upon the "NASGA games score", to being based upon highest throw in each event (with missing events such as Braemar stone causing penalty), to now also perhaps only counting the heavy sheaf instead of either light or heavy sheaf.

These changes have effectively altered my ranking for 2007 from the 30's down to the 180's completely after the fact.  This is no problem whatsoever...not complaining to get my 2007 ranking back up because it is irrelevant now.  But, I do want to understand what the changes are so I can put a games strategy into place for this year if I think that maybe I could go to a couple of invitational comps.
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/08 at 3:26pm

Mike, the games you have sheaf scores for are set to not include the sheaf in the rankings.  I assume because it was a 16#.  The rankings are set to include any sheaf toss, so you just have to edit the results and click the checkbox to include the sheaf in the rankings.

-Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 1:50am
I never had to check the sheaf box before to get the scores to count...they actually did count when I entered them.  Did you change the system to default to only 20# sheaf...or is that your preference for rankings now?
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 4:12am

I don't touch any results, and the boxes to include the events are checked by default. So according to the log, either you or Wally must have unchecked the box at some point.

The rankings will count any sheaf toss that has the box checked in the results.

-Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:24am
Um...I guess Wally is going through and doing it???  I don't know why he would be messing with MASA results though.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

...Wally must have unchecked the box at some point.
Guilty as charged!  Since Day One of the North American's rankings page, 16 lb. sheaves have been creeping in to skew the rankings.  Now with the addition of "All Amateurs" to the page, it began happening much more often.  l've been unchecking the box for 16 lb. sheaves and lightweight Braemars all along.  Not with Mike in mind but to make sure that no-one gets an unfair bump!  Until there's a way to keep 16 lb. sheaves out of the rankings, l can think of no other way to keep the rankings page completely fair.  Sorry Mike.

Quote The rankings will count any sheaf toss that has the box checked in the results.
But would a person who tossed a 16 lb. want to be ranked ahead of someone who tossed a 20?  l wouldn't!!  l'd get me a 20 lb. toss in there somewhere.

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 2:26pm

Wally,

It should not be a problem to not count 16# sheafs for the NA rankings.  Wouldn't that be easier?

-Admin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 3:38pm
lt looks like that's what l'll have to do from now on.  l'm just not looking forward to hearing the complaints from those "amateurs" that place high in the rankings because of their 16 lb. sheaf scores but don't get invited to the Nor Am.

"Easier?"  Probably not!  l'll have to break out the ol' calculator and re-figure the sheaf scores of high placing "ams."  Ah well, that's just one more thing to do to put on a good Games!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 3:52pm
I have no problem with the concept.  But, there are a whole lot better ways of handling it than making a decision by yourself, and then making wholesale scoring changes without permission...or even so much as informing people that you are doing it.  It was a self-serving move that worked to help you administrate a single competition but took control out of the hands of many competitions and competitors.

If Kurt had wanted a change, I think he would have opened a discussion, given notice of the decision, and then given time for people to make plans.

My issue is with making a decisions as the non-board owner, not discussing it, making changes with other people's scores, not telling them about it, and even doing it retroactively. 

If Kurt thinks it's the right thing to do, then I would live with it.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 5:11pm
Sorry, Mike.  l made a mistake!  l've been doing this for the past two years and the only complaints that l got were from "pro's" when a 16 lb. Sheaf score got past me.  Also, being a West Coast person, l'm used to only Teens, Lightweights and Masters contesting the 16.  ln fact, at the Claw, the Masters toss the 20!

l've checked to insure that your 16 lb. Sheaf score registers and that all of the '08 scores are in there.  l'll figure out another way to weed out those light weight Sheaf scores.  l apologize for any inconvenience that l might have caused you or any one else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/08 at 5:51pm
I've been entering the scores for 10+ MASA games/year for 6 years and they have never been altered before.  It's more about the methods than the theory...let's move on.
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/08 at 4:57am

Wally,

You will not have to do anything.  I can modify the code that generates the NA rankings to automatically not include any results that have a 16# sheaf.  That's what I call easier.

-Admin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/08 at 4:47pm
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!  l had visions of sitting up on the night of June 15th, unchecking the boxes for 16lb. sheaves of the top ranked athletes, running a list, and then going back in and putting all those check marks back in!!!  Not having to do that is definitely going to be easier!!!!!!!!!
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic