Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

$ and games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $ and games
    Posted: 1/28/09 at 12:38pm

This is basically a continuation of the “cancelled games” thread, but it has nothing to do with the topic and since that thread has already gone down a different path I didn’t want to push it farther.  Anyway, a couple people mentioned new throwers not needing to spend money on a kilt if it’s their first games or newcomer throwing clinics that are free... great ideas for sure.  However I find it anomalous that folks are looking out for ways to get more throwers involved in our hobby by saving them money, yet nearly all games (within driving distance from me anyway) charge a fee to throw.

Thinking of the original thread and the closing of not only games but complete festivals, I understand that the bottom line must be suffering and many of the sponsors have pulled out.  I also understand that things like water, lunch, and T-shirts need to be purchased.  I further understand that a registration fee is the best way to insure people will not say they will be there then not show up, leaving the festival or A.D. with extra shirts, etc. not to mention a smaller turn-out and even less money if he/she brings their family or friends who would pay a gate fee.

I’m sure I will get flamed to death for this post, but I find it difficult to understand the need for every thrower to spend $30 or more.  I’m not going to get into all the costs involved from a throwers point of view and say the extra $30 or more is just too much or overkill, but honestly it is almost insulting.  If the cost of having me throw at a game or festival is $30 or more then I want to pass along an apology to the few games that do not charge throwers.  I don’t want to call anyone out or name any games, that is not the purpose of my query, but there are people who believe they should be making money for being A.D. or organizer.  If we are worried about saving festivals and games shouldn’t that be the first place to cut costs?  I sincerely believe if you aren’t doing it because you enjoy it and for the love of the tradition and sport you are missing out and doing nothing to grow this hobby.

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 1:44pm
Here are a few points to start a discussion:
  1. Whatever fee an AD receives is generally less than the actual cost of running the athletics.  I can't even bring myself to think about what it's cost me.  Maybe the big games in the Midwest are an exception to this.
  2. Most games in New England do not charge athletes a fee for competing, but we also don't feed them or offer fancy awards or other perks.
  3. Bad times, whether it's high gas prices or a rotten economy, puts a squeeze on everybody, including the festivals, ADs, spectators, and athletes.  Athletes will be more selective of games, will tend not to bring family members, and so forth.
There are multiple models that can be followed in running a games: 
  • Have a large number of athletes that pay a fee to compete and roll out the food, awards, and perks.  Fees help cover the added cost of the games, and large fields hopefully draw extra gate via family members.  Maybe the ADs actually make money.  If the athletes consider the cost excessive, maybe they won't come, but this is a matter of supply and demand.
  • Limit athlete enrollments.  This makes it much easier to run from the AD's perspective, and doesn't hurt the spectator's experience one bit:  big games just look like a jumble to spectators.  The AD gets a good competition by picking and choosing among athletes.  The question then becomes whether you lose more gate from family members not coming, or more cost because of fewer athletes.
  • Another approach:  only have pros.  They cost more from an initial outlay standpoint, but virtually guarantee a good competition and no hassles for the AD.  If the games have a following, the gate will be there to cover it.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 1:52pm
I may be a little off on this, but of the 4 games we threw last year, we broke even on 1, and that's the best we did.  That's charging $20-25 reg fee, and that's only the logistics of each game (which entailed insurance, swag, water, & prizes).  It doesn't consider costs incurred to obtain/maintain equipment (such as the very consumable hammer handles & cabers) or the gas running around for preparation.  You are correct that there aren't many single items that take up a portion of your reg fee, but the $2.5-5 items add up real fast.  If you are fortunate enough to have a festival budget, then I agree w/ you wholeheartedly.  I don't know of many ADs who personally come out in the black, however.

The logic behind not requiring a kilt for a new thrower is so there isn't a requirement to purchase a $50-60 item that may only get used once if the potential athlete doesn't care for the sport.  Hell, that was the entire reason I made my 1st kilt instead of buying it, cuz I could justify spending $4 on fabric & sweat more than hard cash.  As I've made more kilts, I keep the old ones so I can have a loaner for new folk who show.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
Sugar Britches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Britches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 1:55pm

Wow.  The funny thing is that today I spent two to three hours at my paid job doing volunteer work for athletics events for MASA.  This does not happen everyday, but it is not unusual.  Not only do I work on coordinating athletics (strictly volunteer), I am on staff or a judge at several games a year (if there is pay, it rarely covers travel expenses) and a volunteer on the board of directors year round for the Virginia Scottish Games and that may as well be a part time job.

Within MASA we try to get games to admit athletes free of charge, but the festivals are not always willing to go along with it.  There are expenses related to putting on athletics and that is a fact of life.  Some games need the extra help to cover expenses, some get along without it. 

There are t-shirts, medals, trophies, water/Gatorade, meals, tent rentals, portajohn rentals, trash pickup, police/security fees, city/county/state licenses, grounds rental fees, insurance,  PA system rentals, table & chair rentals, etc. 

Corporate sponsors are increasingly difficult to reach.  Crowds are dwindling as Braveheart, Rob Roy and all things Scottish fade from folks memories.  Games want to continue, but more and more they need to pinch pennies.   So, they start charging entry fees.  $30 seems steep, but it is a fact of life to keep things going.

A good number of the games I know of are now run by people who know and care about athletics and are doing their best to keep entry fees down and quality of competition up while giving the thrower the best that they can. 

Alex

"We must become the change we want to see" Gandhi
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:00pm

Ok It has to be said...as for as the kilt, if you want to throw inthe highland games, buy and wear one. If not, then go throw shot and discus at a T&F event.

Next I dont' know many AD's that make one damn dime off the games. It has been explained nicely, now I will just say it bluntly, pay the fee or don't throw.

The Games need that money to continue to exist. I know of one game that due to weather the festival went 10K in the hole for the weekend meaning there were no funds the next year to run the athletics. Fortunately we had 100+ throwers paying 25.00 each so athletics had a base of over 2500.00 to use for the following year since the scot club/ games board had no funds to give us.

If an athlete doesn't want to pay to throw then become good enough to be a top 10 pro and get paid to do this. Otherwise it is what it is and you gotta pay to play the game.

LarryBrock View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - ’10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryBrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:06pm
I run Gatlinburg we charge $25.00 when I was an amateur I believe it was 15 or 20 as well, i paid it.  I get paid nothing for running the athletics. The money we charge goes to the games. It covers the food, the t shirts prizes etc.  I even given some of my own stuff as prizes. I appreciate the athletes that come and pay their money and have a good time. I wish I didnt have to charge we do. ooooooo wait I forgot, I do get to park on the field, but i do get the honor of setting up the sheaf towers and wob standards and do the paperwork and mail stuff out at my own expense but I enjoy it and I like seeing things done right.
"No man Is entirely worthless, he can always serve as a bad example" Brian Oldfield
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:15pm

I paid a fee at the worlds, that is the only one I can remember ever paying.  We should not pay a fee, we are the show. 

Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:16pm
Ditto to the posts above... Jody, I would suggest getting involved in organizing and putting on a sizable games and you will quickly find out why there is an entry fee. For that matter, work as a judge for a day and see if you don't think they should get enough money to at least cover their expenses (food, hotel, travel, etc.) Games and festivals go out of existence because they lose money, it's that simple. Nobody is getting rich off this sport; from the organizers and AD's to the pros and judges. Do it because you enjoy it or don't do it...
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 3:53pm
Honestly, the fees at even the most expensive games (I have never paid more than $25) are dwarfed by the fees you have to pay for other types of sporting events.

Powerlifting - $100+
track and field - at least that much at some comps.
running races, bike races, marathons, etc.. all usually have stiff entry fees.

Yes, it does seem a bit odd for the entertainment to come in and have to pay for the privilege of entertaining, but that seems to be the economics of it.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Big Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 4:34pm

I have to agree with the posts above and really with Steve, Al and Larry.  I have been throwing for about 15 years anb the AD for the San Antonio Games for 5 years and like the other AD's out there work my ass off to put them on and have them run smoothly. It costs money to put the games on.  I'm not going to go over the costs as it has already been done. 

As far as having James putting on a clinic for the new throwers...it was because he and I were tired of the newbies asking for advice on how to throw the implement and the rules every five seconds and making the class take forever to complete.  That and here is a world class highland games athlete and one hell of a coach giving advice only to hear someone else tell that person something totally different and wrong!!!  You are damn right I am trying to give something to the athletes that choose to compete. I want them to be successful and have a great time...and yes compete again and again...maybe by helping them be successful they will....again...what the hell is wrong with that???

Perhaps as Steve said you should get involved in the ADing of a game and then you may just understand.

And by the way the group that puts on the San Antonio games is a 501 C(3) non profit...which would make it against the law for me to draw any money above my costs...which means I really work for free.  We sponser several scholorships and groups and are very active in our community.  So I do this for the love of my sport...what do you do??

Bill Brennan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 4:46pm

I'll drop $30 taking my wife to the movies.

I'd rather spend the day throwing things.

Vae Victus
JohnnieStone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnieStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 5:04pm

+1 Bill

I like throwing things, even if i have to pay.

like mom says it is better than doing drugs.

Just a note to add.. one of the best Games i ever went to had no fans only family. 15 $ maybe for hot dogs and water and oh my very first place. and my favorite sword for 1st place.

So no festival, thats ok bring the people who care about you, throw and drink with the people who respect what you do and compete for the love of the games. then go home and brag about it!!!

thanks Johnnie
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 5:23pm
My experience (since '79) has taught me that if an athlete has no vested interest in the event, promises to compete will be made with very little intention of showing up!  An entry fee gives them a little "vested interest!"

Also, at the Claw, $25 is charged for an entry fee.  The total of ALL entry fees is a whopping 5.4 percent of my total budget!!!!!  Do the math.
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Jody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 9:13pm

Thanks to the few people who replied with a constructive, placid post.  Again, the intent was to find out these very things, not have my love for my heritage questioned or be told not to throw etc.  If my post came across with a negative tone I apologize.

So if the throwers only provide 5.4% of the total budget why would you further burden them by continuing to charge?  I’ve done the math, and it doesn’t add up.

Also it’s not just $30.  At the end of the day the total comes to well over $150… I really don’t think I need to go into detail about all the costs involved.  I know I’m not the only person who feels like they are getting kicked when they are down.  Saying things are difficult and that your festival is suffering then turning around and sticking it to the “athletes” as if things are somehow easier on them is simply amiss.  Paying a $10-$15 registration fee so the games have peace of mind that I will show up is one thing, but passing along the cost of the games to the throwers absolutely makes no sense.

Wayne, I think for the most part the games in my area are shooting for the 1st of the models in your post.  Jeremy McBain is the exception as he organizes and runs a few games without outside funding and doesn’t charge a cent to throw.  I personally agree with his (and the games’ you mentioned in New England) approach of lowering cost instead of forcing throwers to pay.  I’ve only been throwing for 7 years so I don’t know all the “ins and outs” of the games, but from a pure throwers perspective all the extra perks really don’t make the games worth an extra $30 on top of everything else.

Once again, this thread was a continuation of the ideas and posts from the “cancelled games” thread, I’m not just bitching about spending money.  It just seems from my point of view that passing the cost of the games onto the throwers should be the very last resort.  Keeping the competitor attendance high should really be the highest priority.

Oh, and to quote myself… “If my post came across with a negative tone I apologize.”  I’m just stating my view and asking for clarification, nothing more.  So to say it bluntly, if you want to vent or flame someone, take your issues elsewhere.

Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 3:02am

Jody,

The last post you made with the paragraph about the man that goes out and gets outside money hits the nail on the head.  In KC, I am that one and only person that does that and if we wanted to, we could wipe our $30 athletic fee completely out.  Instead we have lots of extras, anyone who comes will tell you that; last year and this year we had and will have pros too.  When Kevin started throwing 13 years ago, there were no cheaper ways to buy a kilt and most games charged $20 and you were lucky if you got a shirt, let alone any lunch.

But that is the key to it all, sponsorship/outside funding.  It requires that special talent of a full year committment, saying just the right thing and swooning all your would-be customers into believing you will give back to them all the publicity it takes to get their money.  The larger your event, the more spectators; the more spectators, the bigger return on their dollar.  It is a lot harder for smaller games or athletic only games to get the outside funding they need as there is no or little attraction for the sponsoring businesses.  Sometimes you will find businesses or individuals that will sponsor anyway but most want to know your gate count.

Where everyone needs to get involved that reads this is the sponsorship side of things.  When I quit, which will be very soon, there will be no one to take over here.  There was no one before me and no one speaks up to help now.  Gathering money is extremely time consuming and takes coordination with many many other individuals.  I am also a board member of the KCSHG (501c3 also, like Ed) and it is against our by-laws to receive money; Kevin and I are not even allowed to charge if we judge or keep score.

Two professionals that come to mind right now that fully understand this concept are Ryan Vierra and Larry Brock.  They know that without their involvement they will lose games to go throw at, hence their income.  I have learned a lot from talking with Ryan in particular; he has some wonderful ideas about growing a game and getting outside help from agencies, many I am using now at KC.

You started a good topic and one that more athletes should think about; getting involved in their local festivals and games and see that there is much more to it then it appears.

Lori Henderson

Sponsorship/Membership Chair-KCSHG and Celtic Festival

hbaileyIII View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbaileyIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:05am

I don't think anyone in their right mind means to say that AD's shouldn't be paid for their time or that they don't work hard.  Without them there are no games.  I think they should receive some compensation for their effort and dedication. 

On the flip side, it sucks to work your ass off, show up to entertain and pay a gate fee.  It just does!  I truly beleive that most AD's would remove the fee if it were economically possible, but it isn't.  There are games out there that charge every single person on the grounds, believe it or not.  Look at the list of games that have tanked.  I'm just glad we still have places left to throw!!! 

HB3
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - ’10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryBrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:41am
I agree Lori and Kevin have alot of goodies it was great
"No man Is entirely worthless, he can always serve as a bad example" Brian Oldfield
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:42am
I can't wait to judge KC again this year. I have to say if Kevin and Lori arn't doing it, the game will most likely dissapear, there has been that little interest in someone else stepping up and running it.
Bert Sorin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:49am

I agree with many of you, and especially HB on the issue of looking at the games that have tanked. How is it that we have tons of new people getting into the games, and games are going out of business? Thus making it harder for ams and pros to get into games. IMO, there are not enough games. When I was an am I paid gladly when they charged us to play. I mean seriously, its 8 hours of fun, free lunch in many cases, an event to take your family to, what you love to do, and train for! Is that a deal for 25 bucks? Heck yeah. What else are you going to do that is that much fun and costs less? Well, maybe don't answer that . If games keep going down, I think we will start to see more and more backyard games, which give throwers the chance to throw, which for me is a big part of it. It sucks when throwing and competing is in your blood, and you can't find a game.

Thoughts?

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:54am
Mule-

You've the paid an entry fee every time you've thrown in Springfield.

We could not rent the facilities without the ante. It ain't free.

-K
Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
Jody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:59am

Thank you very much for your input Lori, that made a great deal of sense.  The year 'round commitment is one thing that really stuck out in my mind.  Going back to Jeremy and his games and getting sponsors and outside funding, I do know he starts his planning and other work (which just like HB3 said, is a LOT of work) for his games before they last one is over. 

I guess what it really comes down to is the type and magnitude of the games the AD or festival board is shooting for.  Like Wayne stated there are a few models, and if you are going to put on a gala event you really need to have the funding in order.  Again, this is ONLY speaking from a throwers point of view and ONLY speaking for myself, but having the throwers foot the bill is simply an odd way to go about it. 

Another question I guess I'd like to put to the people with the AD or games board insider knowledge is, from your point of view do you believe scaling back the "perks" and reducing or eliminating the cost on throwers to be detrimental to turnout and to the games/festival overall?  Again, I can only speak for myself and I may be in the minority here, but I'm not sure that is the case.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:05am

Jody,

It would be easier to understand if you had a balance sheet in front of you.  It is amazing, AMAZING how costs add up.  I was in the ituation where we had a SPONSER and they were fairly generous.  We had NO frills, no extras and only broke even.  No joke.  We sat there looking at the spreadsheet and it was EASY to see where the money went.  Also, though depressing (we wanted a little windfall for future events), it was easily explainable to sponsors and community leaders. 

Where can you spend a whole Saturday doing something you enjoy for 30 bucks?  Golf?  Softball?  Basketball or soccer or flag football leagues?  These are all as, if not more, expensive than the games.  Sheesh, a movie, popcorn and treats for 2 is starting to approach that.

If one is good enough to be a pro, doors open.  Just like for any Pro athlete  in other sports you aren't paying to compete.  But us Am's, in any sport, need to decide how to prioritize.  And budget.

If non-ADs have workable sponsorship ideas, please share.  This stuff is tricky to fund.

Josh

Mike Wills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:22am
In theory, it is ridiculous to expect someone to buy equipment, buy a kilt, train hundreds of hours, pay travel expenses...and then be one of the major entertainment components at a festival...and still pay a fee on top of that.

Unfortunately, sometimes theory and reality are not the same.  A narrow view looks at only your piece of the puzzle, whereas a greater perspective reveals a lot more information. 

Most of the organizers, festival committee members, staff, etc. are volunteers, and put as much time into getting the festival off the ground as the serious athletes put into training.  They don't get paid.

There are costs that you can only start to appreciate when you see the budget spreadsheet come together.  The festival as a whole has hard costs that have already been outlined.  The athletics also have hard costs.

When all of the math is done, and you see that the total for gate revenues and sponsorships may come close to covering the overhead costs like insurance, facility rental, chair rentals, PA systems, signage, advertising, etc that would be inclusive of all the components of the festival...you then have to look at the hard costs associated with each component.

With athletics, it's awards, drinks, food, t-shirts, etc. 

So, if the gate and sponsorships only cover the overhead framework, who is going to subsidize the hard costs associated with something like athletics?  Should "they" have to pay for it?  Remember "they" are us.  They are volunteers, former athletes, and people who have dedicated a lot of their time and talent to create a venue to continue this cultural experience.

The bottom line is that sometimes we have to cover at least a portion of the hard costs associated with what we do.  The alternative is not good.  The alternative is to have fewer and fewer games.

Some festivals are in bigger markets, have more marketing savvy leadership, and are really good at getting corporate sponsors.  Others are in small markets and simply want to provide a Scottish venue. 

Sometimes we pay, sometimes we don't. 

I find that complaints can often be overcome be broadening your perspective and increasing your involvement.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:35am
Local Celtic stores are great sponsors . Things Celtic in Austin supplies shirts and a couple of kilt buckles for prizes for last 7 years - I hang a big sign out that they are sponsors . I use entry fees to buy/make new cabers EVERY year , buy 10 boxes of cookies(pigs;-) , bananas , case of beer , lemonade ,sandwich stuff , new shackles , linepaint ,spray paint,  apples , duct tape , more duct tape , bottle of whiskey ,etc. The festival also gives me $150 of food tix that go straight to the guys. I did it for free/fun for 4 years until the athletes became the # 1 draw - so now they pay me as a vendor. I also do a kids games that they pay me for- not much $. Explore these avenues - I bet a lumber co. would sponsor a caber if you painted their name on it,etc. 
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:41am

Jody,

From my own perspective I would not like to see our perks scaled back.  All the stuff we give the athletes is what makes many of them keeping coming back.  When we took over in 2005 there was 35-45 athletes a year for several years before; we have never had less then 65 and one year had 79.   It all works in a huge circle for gathering sponsorship.  More athletes on the field, more spectators, more publicity for sponsors.  Athletics are the easiest 'sell job' I do to gather money; entertainment is next.  This year we even added the term 'Celtic Festival' to our name to attract Irish and others.  This economy we are in is very shaky but not the time to cut back.  It is the time to get creative, think of other ways to get the job done.  How can an AD feed his crew without spending any money, what other things can we use for awards, how can we attract new volunteers.  I could probably write a book!  I am exactly like Jeremy, I start the next year before the current game is even over.  Smoozing businesses is non stop.

The real answer to your money concerns that if you stop and figure just exactly what it takes to just run an athletic comp without any frills at all and be a legitimate game you will easily reach that magic $20-$30 range.  Like Kevin Rogers said there is field rental to pay and Steve Conway has mentioned reimbursing judges.  Maybe they will work for free, maybe they won't.  Just a tshirt is going to be in the $7 range when you have to order small quantities.  When you start taking away the little stuff to save expenses you start losing participants.  When there are no volunteers within your Game organization willing to take on the committment of gathering outside funds, then as an AD you are stuck with passing along the expenses to the athlete. 

I have watched many many games go down the toilet over several years now, many right in my own region.  If you chose to attend a game that is a 'gala event' then you get what you have to pay for, so to speak.  Here in the midwest with so many major games disappearing I personally would rather roll out the carpet and get lots of throwers, knowing that they are having to make lots of choices of how to spend their vacation money and time.

Hope I have been helpful and maybe got some folks nodding their heads and wanting to get out and help their local festivals not be added to the list of Games lost.

Lori

JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:43am

I recall when I first started my games.  The entry fee of, I think, $20 was a significant portion of my budget.  My goal then was to keep getting more sponsorship to eventually make it free to the athletes.  Then, talking with other AD's such as Dan DeWelt, Steve Scott, Al Myers, Greg Bradshaw, guys who had run literally dozens of big time games the message was basically the same:  The entry is earnest money towards showing up. 

Over the years, I've come to the realization that you really can't please everyone so make sure you please yourself or you will soon hate what you are doing and won't do it anymore.  I charge an entry for my games, and it does play a direct roll in what extra perks the athletes get and I always spend more than I take in when you factor in all costs which DOES NOT include the hundreds of hours I've spent on these things.  So, you'll have to pardon me when I get a little chaffed when an athlete doesn't want to cough up $20 or $30 bucks for an entry fee.  If that's what it's all about, then go pro or find something else to do.  I do this because I love it and the day I stop loving it I'll quit and do something else.  If a wealthy donor tossed a sack of cash my way, my life as an AD would be easier, but not any more or less satisfying than it is now. That's NOT why I do this. As an AD, my favorite thing is to see an athlete smile because they got a PR or won an event, or won a B class for the first time ever or they go and show their 5 year old son the cool sword they just won and the kid looks at their Dad like he's the baddest ass on the planet.  That ought to be worth a few extra bucks to somebody.  That's why I do it.  This is not intended to slam anyone who has expressed an different opinion, just a chance to express mine.  Thanks, Thom

Well, that and going to Pancake City at the end of the day and eating 8000 calories in fried eggs, bacon, sausage, bisquits and gravy, pancakes, tenderloins, hashbrowns, more pancakes, coffee, ham (slabs, not slices), texas toast.....

Thom Van Vleck
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - ’10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryBrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 6:00am

I agree Bert.  Hell Ive paid entry fees as an am and a pro,  I know ohio and wisconsin charges

brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 6:13am
Originally posted by JWC III JWC III wrote:

I recall when I first started my games.  The entry fee of, I think, $20 was a significant portion of my budget.  My goal then was to keep getting more sponsorship to eventually make it free to the athletes.  Then, talking with other AD's such as Dan DeWelt, Steve Scott, Al Myers, Greg Bradshaw, guys who had run literally dozens of big time games the message was basically the same:  The entry is earnest money towards showing up. 

Over the years, I've come to the realization that you really can't please everyone so make sure you please yourself or you will soon hate what you are doing and won't do it anymore.  I charge an entry for my games, and it does play a direct roll in what extra perks the athletes get and I always spend more than I take in when you factor in all costs which DOES NOT include the hundreds of hours I've spent on these things.  So, you'll have to pardon me when I get a little chaffed when an athlete doesn't want to cough up $20 or $30 bucks for an entry fee.  If that's what it's all about, then go pro or find something else to do.  I do this because I love it and the day I stop loving it I'll quit and do something else.  If a wealthy donor tossed a sack of cash my way, my life as an AD would be easier, but not any more or less satisfying than it is now. That's NOT why I do this. As an AD, my favorite thing is to see an athlete smile because they got a PR or won an event, or won a B class for the first time ever or they go and show their 5 year old son the cool sword they just won and the kid looks at their Dad like he's the baddest ass on the planet.  That ought to be worth a few extra bucks to somebody.  That's why I do it.  This is not intended to slam anyone who has expressed an different opinion, just a chance to express mine.  Thanks, Thom

Well, that and going to Pancake City at the end of the day and eating 8000 calories in fried eggs, bacon, sausage, bisquits and gravy, pancakes, tenderloins, hashbrowns, more pancakes, coffee, ham (slabs, not slices), texas toast.....

Damn it JWC now I am starving!  I am trying to get under 200 for that masters division and posts like yours aren't helping!!!

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 6:14am
Could be like Jason and jump the fence
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 6:22am

Oh, and Brian, did I mention that at Pancake City the Tenderloins are so big that you can fold it in half and it's still twice as big as the bun....then I order a side of gravy to dip my sandwich in and to pour over the hashbrowns, maybe some salsa, too and.....HAHAHAHA sorry, buddy.  

I seem to recall this guy in KC one time that was pretty dang happy about a comeback win in the lightweight nationals. 

Thom Van Vleck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic