Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Quint Melius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/10 at 12:36pm

3 March

5:00 PM Tarleton Rec Center

Back squat

405*5, 495*5, 585*2, 495*4 Drop Set 405*5-315*7-225*9-135*12

Zercher squat from the bottom

225*5, 315*5, 405*barely 1(rough)

leg press

16 plates a side 3 sets reverse drop set 7 plates a side for 20, 8 plates for 15, 9 plates for 10, 10 plates for 5

standing hamstring machine *4

hack squat machine 4 plates *4

Was not able to go as heavy as I would have liked, but the volume is still about 75% higher than this time last year.

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Quint T Melius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/10 at 10:28am

4 March

4:00 PM Melius residence

Got done with track practice early cause they were having a junior high track meet.  I was going to do some sledge hammer strikes rather than do body building stuff in the weight room like I normally would on thursday. So I hit a few with the 8 lb sledge and remembered what my wife had told me earlier in the day, she said something like this "you know those limbs that blew down are still in back yard".  I got the hint.  I grabbed an axe and machete rather than the chainsaw and pruners.

after about 45 minutes of fairly vigerous tree clearing I did not need to do any sledge hammer strikes. The swinging with lighter tools really loosened me up after yesterday's fairly rough leg day.  I think I will feel pretty good for clean and press tomorrow.

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/10 at 10:41am
I am eager to hear how the clean and press goes.  Also, Coach, mind sending us mortals some shot drills?
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/10 at 1:05pm

Duncan,

the best way to practice for shots that I have seen is to practice with mixed drinks so they aren't so harsh then slowly add more liquor so they get easier to take over time

5 March

High Noon Tarleton Athletic weight room

Clean and jerk in kilos

120*2, 125*2, 130*2, 135*2, 140*0(could not catch it today, weird felt real slow)130*2, 125*2

Deadlift in lbs

335*3, 385*3, 425*3, 465*3, 515*2, 565*1, 605*1, 415*3, 415*3

1:30 PM Melius Residence

I got back from lifting at school and my roomate and some of my other friends were about to get some bench in, I had enough in the tank to hit some three board press and chains.  I am taking a week off next week, so what the hell?

Flat bench

245w/two half inch chains as side *12

335 two chains *7, *8

445 two chains *2(rough)

445 three board press *6

535 three board press*3

445 three board w/ one chain *2 (very hard to stabilize)

245 with two chains again *10

In case you are wondering about the weird amounts on the bench its because I have four 100lb plates I my house and that makes it a lot faster when changing weight.

This killed me.  I feel almost like I did a whole games today! I am going to be one sore hombre when I hit the floor in the morning.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/10 at 1:49pm
Jeezis...
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/10 at 12:22pm

8 March

3:00 PM Tarleton Rec Center

thunderstorms this afternoon and we could not get in anywhere to do some real practice so we played volleyball for two hours.  I ate lunch at 2PM so I was really hurting on this one.

I am not lifting this week just games and throwing to get ready for my first games of the year this weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/10 at 3:08am

9 March

6:30 AM Tarleton Rec Center

Played racquetball until 8 then came into the office. Two days in a row I have gotten the heart rate up, I think I will be feeling great by saturday.

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/10 at 4:56am
get fresh brother... PEAK this year damnitAngry!!! let that damn body rest. should be a good year! i will probably swing that way next week to talk about AAP! should be a good deal... see you then baby!Embarrassed
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/10 at 1:08pm

10 March

Just found out today that my first games this year was moved or changed or something.  Week of rest, while necessary now seems a little less relaxing.  I will just be that much more prepared once I actually get to do a games.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/10 at 6:54am

it took me five days to post my training log update because I have been remodeling my guest bathroom

15 March

Tarleton Throwing complex

Full games menu - 6 throws of all the events with Spencer, Jake and Jake.  It went well save the fact that I got my A%^ kicked all day.  Broke my latest caber though.  I feel like I have been lifting everyday but in reality I have not lifted in almost two weeks and have been doing steady labor instead.  Its not all bad, but I am going to be ready to get back in the groove on monday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/10 at 1:27pm

23 March

Back after two weeks off, a complete batrhoom remodel and my first games  I felt pretty fresh but I was not as intense as I would have liked to be.

3:00 PM

Track Practice

8 single spin lwfd throws out of the shot out ring during practice. I was working on accelerating through the finish, the last two went over the 60 foot line at least two feet. I threw out of the shot ring just so I could have some guidlines for how far I could move.

5:00 PM

Tarleton Rec Center

Flat bench 405*5, 425*5, 435*5, 445*5, 405*5

Flys

Incline machine

Pec dec

7:00 PM

Tarleton Intramural Field

Slowpitch softball game I know this is not really highland games training but anything that makes me run and stretch a little counts for making me quicker, besides its fun to mix it up with the college kids and see what I have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:59pm

24 March

4:15 PM  Tarleton Rec Center

45 minutes of racquetball

5:00 PM

bi's/tri's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/10 at 12:52pm

25 March

4:00 PM Track Practice

I did some of the plyo work the kids did

7 - 20" hurdles set about 5 feet apart and a medicine ball in between them, jump the hurdle and at the bottom of the landing position grab the med ball and come up throwing hammer style twist toward a trash can. 7 jumps 6 throws a set. I did 4 sets and was gassed, the kids did a lot more stuff that than but I got all I wanted cause lets face it I am not 19 any more.

Back squat - no support gear today even lifted in regular tennis shoes just to see where I was.  Now this was no squats for two weeks so I was pretty fresh.

405*5, 455*5, 495*5, 545*4, 405*5, 315*8 (last two sets I tried getting lower than normal and I can feel it right now)

Straight leg deadlift 4 sets

hack squat machine/leg press super set 3 sets

Seated hamstring machine 4 sets

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 12:57am
Good work at Dublin Stackhouse...I am released from light duty on April 4th, but am in Georgia for a month after that.  When I get back, I see lots of plyos in our future.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 1:10am
Right on man, May is the month when I am really going to try to turn it on to peak for TSF.  I have got my a#$ kicked there the last two years have had enough of it.  Appearently lifting like a bodybuilder but eating like a powerlifter is not the way to get better.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 1:16am

Originally posted by Quint T Melius Quint T Melius wrote:

Appearently lifting like a bodybuilder but eating like a powerlifter is not the way to get better.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/10 at 4:54am
quint... should i start a training log?  i ccould talk about my theory of gaining strength threw osmosis... as lon as i am IN the weight room i am getting stronger... right?Wink... damnit, i need someone to lift with... not only for a spotter on upper days, but someone to get my ass in gear every day... i wonder how far we could throw if we trained like we did back in the day?!?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/10 at 5:08am

"Back in the day"...that was a Wednesday, right?

One day we'll all get together at Casa de Melius, grill an animal, and then hit the weights.  It will be epic.

Training through osmosis doesn't work.  I tried on all of your clothes while you were in the shower and nothing changed...still minus 40 in the OS.  Hate you.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/10 at 6:54am

Spencer - I don't know what to tell you I am doing what I can.  I think this summer will be a step in the right direction.  If you started a training log, no one would believe you any way.

Duncan - You need to come on down I am not sure you have really seen me in my natural environment yet, it could be good or bad. I know one thing the training would be intense.

26 March 

High Noon Tarleton Athletic Weight Room

Clean and press warm up to 130 Kilo 5 sets of 2

We were all sore this week so it was not as intense as it could have been, but it will get better next week.

Deadlift 5*4 @200 Kilo

Quick as possible I came up on the toes pretty well on these and they felt much better than the cleans

Front squat 225lbs 3*6

Not my best lift but I am making progress

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/10 at 7:02am
OH grip on the deads?
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/10 at 9:49am
yeah over hand grip with the hook, my thumbs are starting to get almost as tough as John Irvin's.  Please note that I said ALMOST.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:00am

29 March

4:30 PM Tarleton Rec Center

Flat bench press 405*5, 425*5, 455*4, 405*6, 405*6 The last two sets felt pretty fast after coming down.  I think I am over the two weeks off and am ready to get some poundage on there.

Incline Fyls

Incline Dumbell Bench

6:00 and 7:00 PM

Two softball games, I actually had to run a few times and I felt ok.  I think I may actually be starting to get a little spring back in my step.

Cable Flys

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:22am

Flat bench press 405*5, 425*5, 455*4, 405*6, 405*6

I think I am over the two weeks off and am ready to get some poundage on there.

Yikes!  What weight are you going to be using once you "get some poundage on"? 

BTW, are these full-on bounce benches, touch and go benches, or fairly strict benches?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:35am

.  Appearently lifting like a bodybuilder but eating like a powerlifter is not the way to get better.

This made me laugh, but you do have a lot of bodybuilder going on in this log.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 4:17am

Pete,

I start out strict on the heavier stuff casue I am kind of affraid to bounce that with no pad or towell. I move on to the more explosive type benching at the end of the workout.

Craig,

You would really laugh if you would have seen the crap I was doing a few years ago.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 5:06am

Craig,

You would really laugh if you would have seen the crap I was doing a few years ago.

I think most everyone here started out in ways like that.  Now where's my cybergenics kit?
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 8:07am

you mean the way you would have you hardest week of lifting the week leading up to nationals?LOL or was it eating one chiken breast a day while lifting and running like crazy?LOLLOL... i guess it did do what you wanted it to... whhat did you lose? 120lbs in 5 wks?!? impressive!!! it just sucks to know that you should have thrown 65+... you know, like you did in Brady after a long recovery!

BTW Baab said he is down for saturday afternoon. said it would give us a chance to get over our impending hangoversThumbs Up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:59pm

Spencer,

It was 83lbs in six months. yes I am finally beginning to understand over training a little.

Sounds good about Saturday it will not take much for my lame a$% to get a hangover any more.

30 March

4:30 PM Tarleton Rec Center

one hour of three on three basketball.  I am terrible at basketball, I am sure there are people in wheel chairs that can beat me one on one. (No offense to any handicapped throwers out there). I was real gassed after this but I am feeling faster.

5:30 PM

Bi's and Tri's

I got some real good work done on ez bar cheat curls and skull crushers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/10 at 11:59am

31 March

3:00 PM Track practice

4*8 Straight up 7kilo Med Ball throw

Back squat 405*5, 495*4, 585*2, 585*3, 405*0(didn't even attempt to go down with it)

I was done after this.  I think I played a little too much basketball yesterday coupled with the med ball throws I did not have anything else.  oh well I did not want to push it and end up so damn sore I would not be able to move for saturday.  I am planning to go throw with Spencer at the Mike Baab TRAINING COMPOUND AND ETERNAL YOUTH SPA.

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/10 at 12:42pm
Welcome to the Baablands
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic