FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Quint Melius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/10 at 8:36am
I was getting 18'-19' with the 28# Ball and heels planted.

What exactly is the "Baab" rule?
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/10 at 8:51am

The "Baab Rule"...a little known tenet of HG rules and regulations:

"When a competitor participates in the Scarby 'Toes to the Trig' Braemar stone throw, he will AT NO TIME invoke the privileges of Old Man Strength, Treachery, or Deception, or any combination thereof; furthermore, said competitor will AT NO TIME sneakily dig his toes ever so slightly under the trig board thereby looking like a Stone God and forcing the rest of his fellows to wonder if that really just happened."

Frankly, I am not sure if Baab actually did this or if it was just imputed to him.  I was also told Mike killed a grizzly bear with a pool noodle, beat Mongo McMichael in a bench press contest (true) and fought THE Chuck Norris to a draw. 

The man in the arena.
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:35am
Awesome!
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Quint T Melius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:51am

I love how my training forum is the unofficial scarby braemar fan club site.  Is that because I have owned that event the last two years?

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:28pm
Sorry...  It looked like as good a place as any...  

Look forward meeting you and seeing you in action this weekend.
Matt Thompson

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 3:42am
Gawd!!! I can't wait to kick your face in!!!
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 3:58am
And I can't wait to see Spencer in Action when we aren't all wrapped up in Coats, Blankets, etc. trying to not freeze our arses off.
Matt Thompson

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 4:58am
ahaha! that was something else wasnt it... and my last post was directed at Quint... not trying do be a prick... well to Quint  yes, but no one else!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 5:13am
I will NEVER forget my second games, the Frozen Thistle.  Spencer launching the tire into orbit in the snow was quite the sight.  Good times, though somewhat chilly.  It wasn't so much the cold as it was the humidity and the wind... 

That is exactly how I understood it.  Firing back at Quint...
Matt Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 6:15am

Spencer,

Just because you can easily wipe you own a$% does not mean you have to talk s%^&.  Get it, lmao.

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/10 at 6:31am
... touch e

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/10 at 12:56am

21 April

4:00 PM

3 rounds of hurlde hops over the low hurdles

6 rounds of hurdle/unders trying to work out that soreness from last week still I think

I did a fair amount of rubber band work with the fingers so my hand can be in shape for the stones this weekend.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/10 at 1:32am
Easy on that finger work...you'll go blind.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/10 at 9:35am

wow Duncan,

I would have expected that comment from Spencer.  I mean I have to get stronger some how, I can't lift all day.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/10 at 4:48am

Spencer made me do it.

The man in the arena.
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:20am
Yes I did... And good seeing you for 38 whole seconds this weekend... Job... What a shit excuse!!! Hey Quint, this really... REALLY... Hurts, but congrats on the Caber thingy (gay event), you deserve it brother (curls)!!! I still hate your face.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/10 at 1:57pm
As I said earlier today, the people around us made more of a deal of it than me.   My hat is off to Coop for punking you in front of the whole festival, I hate to admit I was smiling behing the fake castle wall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/10 at 6:16am

27 April

4:00 PM Track Practice

4*8 20" hurdle hops.  I was still way sore and tight from Sunday or I would have done more

5:00 PM

bi's/tri's

same thing here I do not remember being so worn down after a games in a while

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/10 at 8:12am
it was an asskicker... i wonder what these things are like sober?!?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/10 at 1:06pm

29 April

4:00 PM Track practice

8*20 yard sprints racing the throwers again, I am getting better with this than I was a month ago.  Who knows I might even time some eventually.

5:00 PM Melius Residence

Flat bench all sets with 3 - 1/2 inch chains doubled over

275*8, 335*8, 425*5, 475*2, 475*2, 335*5

Flat bench fly

4*6 w/60lbs  I would have liked to gone lighter but 60's are the smallest one I have. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/10 at 2:52am

Cinco de Mayo

5:00 PM Tarleton Rec Center

Back squat

405*2, 495*2, 495*2, 405*2, 405*2

Wanted to go low rep to maintain some of my leg strength, it actually felt real good especially since I have had a really inconsistent lifting schedule because of work here lately. The last two sets I touched the safety bars at the bottom, for reference my workout partner who is 5'7" was not even getting there so I got a nice stretch.

leg press drop set

good mornings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/10 at 11:10am

6 May

2:00 PM Track practice

15lb open stone out of shot-put ring

5 stands 42-45

3 middle around 51

10 full rotations all between 52 and 56 or so, I did not measure but I had a cone at 55 and two of them went past it.  I was really trying to work on getting some heigth on the throws.  According to my throwers I was getting them a good 8 feet in the air, so that is better than normal for me.

I was going to throw some lwfd but dicided to throw the 2k discus instead.  One of my throwers who beat me a week or two ago wanted to challange me again, little did he know that I was actually rested for once.  I threw two throws over 150ft, which I was very suprised about in a left/tail wind.  My three main guys beat me but it was not a total embarassment.  I don't now how much it helped my highland games, but it was fun.

4:30 PM Tarleton Rec center

the taking it easy was not in the air today, after a pretty good throwing session I was feeling salty.

Flat bench

405*2, 495*2, 545*1, 585*0(not a crushing fail either I got it to the normal sticking point pretty good for the most I have ever tried on bench in my life) 405*2, 405*2.  After doing my last two bench sessions with the chains it felt real good to get on the regular bar again I felt strong right up until the 6 wheels came out.

2*8 close grip chins

3*pec dec

3*10 dips

5*5 135 standing barbell curl

5*5 70lb dumbell standing twist curls

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/10 at 4:47am
what a pussy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/10 at 3:01pm

Spencer,

I am not real sure you can use language like that on the NASGA board, I think they should ban you from the highland games outright.

2:00 PM Track Practice

15-20 Throws with the 12lb hammer.  I really tried to throw around 80% effort on these and work on positions.  I stayed around 80% until the last two or three and cranked the last one out to about 122 ft.  I know its the 12 lb hammer but that may be enough to get my confidence up for next weekend in Houston.

I did three rounds of 8 straight up medicine ball throws followed immediatly by a 30 meter sprint.

My week started slow but I got three pretty good days in. I just need to throw a little more early next week to get my rhythm.

Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/10 at 3:35am
sorry... vagina

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:47am
that word scares me even more now that I have been through child birth.
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/10 at 4:14am
melius.... melius... melius.......... mel..... where the hell have you gone?!? i know you're still liftn'... noe stop your tantrum and let us know how big your arms are these days.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/10 at 3:08am
Spencer to be real honest I have not got to lift very much here lately. I like to take a week off lifting and throwing the week before each games because I am usually really sore and tight.  Unfortunatly with the way the work schedule fell I have not been able to get in the reps I normally would the week before.  On the 3&4 of May we hosted a track meet and then on the 8&9th we went to conference.  I got some good days in between those times but that is all I was able to do.  As for this week I have been hydrating and stretching, yes stretching. Nothing to really report on, I will hit one more hard week next week then I am going to lose another week going to North Carolina on the 25-30th.  So I should be quite fresh by the time Arlington rolls around.
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/10 at 4:32am
whatever loser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/10 at 3:22pm

18 May

10:00 Am track practice

3*8 seven kilo med ball throws straight up and down

3*8 seven kilo med ball running south african

3*40 meter sprints - we did 20 over the line and right back jups before the sprint

3:30 PM Tarleton Rec center

back squat 405*5, 455*5, 495*5, 405*5, 405*5

4* good mornings

bi's

I thought the squats were fairly good considering I did some good plyos and mowed my front and back yard - push mower/bagged 17 bags - that plus the heat here made it feel like I had already worked out twice before I got in there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic