Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Quint Melius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Quint Melius
    Posted: 1/19/10 at 4:35am

I think I will be more motivated if I start logging my training regime for all to see.  Be as mean as you want borthers I need to hear the truth.

Sunday 16 January Beautiful 68 degrees and sunny, just had to get outside.

6 sets of sledge hammer strikes on the tire stack with the 16 lb sledge.  10 hits righty, 10 hits lefty.

6 sets of slegde hammer strikes on the tire stack with the 8lb sledge. 10 hits righty, 10 hits lefty. Both sets done as vigerously as possible and I definantly had some Mike Baab patented "catfish breathing" going on. 

6 sets of backward tire drags at about 20 yards.  Medium sized tire for the yard very painful cause my grass is full of two foot tall weeds.

The wife went through most of this with me and she was a trooper.

Monday 17 11:00 am Tarleton Rec Center

Flat Bench 405*5, 425*5, 455*4, 425*5, 405*5

Flys with 40lb dumbells 4*10 to the floor

Incline bench 315*8, 225*8, 135*10 10 second eccentrics

Super set pec deck 185 for ten wide bench machine 4 plates for 10 * 3 sets

2pm with the throwers

I took 12 hard hamemr throws with the boots on with the 12lb hammer.  I was in serous pain this morning it had been two months since I touched a hammer. 

Don't worry I will be doing the real lifting later in the week.

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/10 at 4:52am

The real lifting?  Hell, I thought you were doing it.  Nice to know we can share a power rack...I'll squat and you bench. 

We won't even have to change the weights!

Keep going Quint...2010 is your year.

D

The man in the arena.
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/10 at 5:23am
Damn strong bench...
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
RED JONES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED JONES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/10 at 5:34am

Q

Sheeeesh............U not only look strong as an Irishman is drunk, but u r a bull Rhino for real.  I cant even load 455 on the bar for someone else

(Mental note-should probably quit tejas jokes a few months before i see u again!)

Got a flat...hell dont need no stinking jack...Call Quint...

Water tower fell down... no problem Super Q is there...

D --occupation change is in order for u -- camp counselor

Red

Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/10 at 5:59am
 They call him HeepBigemBench, go learn TwoDogsHumping!  Wow.
Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Quint T Melius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/10 at 11:32am

Hey thanks for the compliments guys. Yeah I can bench a lot but Spencer and his ferocious beard still pummels me in the braemar stone every time.

19 January 4:00 pm with throwers

We threw the 7 kilo medicine ball over the hammer cage door like an overhead shot toss just focusing on the vertical.  We played two rounds where you kept tossing it over until every person missed an attempt save one.  The last guy who clears wins.  I took down the first round but I was gassed and went out early in the second round I probably took 40 or so attempts at a the top bar which is 22'6". Then we played this game called "hot ball".  You stand about 6 feet apart in a circle and throw the 7 kilo medicine ball at one another as hard as you can, with whatevrt technique you wish as if you can't catch it your out.  Its a very childish game but it really hurts and makes you throw the medince ball a lot harder than you would orther wise. I won today but my throwers are in pretty good shape by throwing standards and they usually out last me.

5:00 pm Tarleton rec center

I know I am going to hear it about this one but all I did was bi's and tri's.

Standing barbell curl 185*5, 165*5, 155*5, 135*8

Weighted dips 12w/ 45, 8w/90, 3.5 w/135 those are the extra pounds on the dip belt.

The rest of the stuff I did was purely for looks and or to make me look like a hard a$$ in front of all the 18 year old sorority girls and I will not mention it here.  If any one is interested in the rest pm me.  Since that other stuff has no bearing for highland games I will omit it. Squats tomorrow, I am already nervous.  

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/10 at 3:43pm

curls for the girls, tri's for the guys... looks like youre kickin it into high gear! going to be a good year... you need to hurry up and get to the centex area, for my vanity! ill say it like i always have, "you are a strong SOB". i still havent recovered from thaose damn chains. cant wait to toss again, so you can murder me in caber and sheaf... damn i suck at sheaf Angry...

by the way, i need to get that rack from you sometime in the near future so i can start getting swoll like QT!

Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 2:26am

Spencer,

I couldn't agree more about the location situation especially after this mornings meeting.  If only there was a direct correlation weight room strength and anything having to do with throwing I might be on the right track. We can probably work something out with rack if you come up on the 30th.

20 January 5:00 pm Tarleton Rec center

I felt like the robot in the "normal kid meets a powerlifter" video yesterday. We had this guy we know who wants to be "hard core" come work out with us so we decided before hand to try and make him cry. I got out the knee sleeves, compression shorts and lifting shoes for some good ole squats.

Back squat 495*5, 585*3, 585*0 (I would have been folded up like a lawn chair but I had some good friends spotting me) 405*5, 405*5 the last set I went down low enough to touch the safety bars on the sides and I can feel it. 

Hack sqaut machine 5 plates a side 4*10

Leg press ( an acutal leg press machine not the kind that only hold 300 pounds on them and there is a legitmate chance of crushing your self on). 16 plates a side 3*8, 12 plates a side drop set dropping two plates every 8 reps and ending with two plates total 6 sets total on the drop set.  My legs were shaking like a caber made out of string cheese .

Good mornings after that 4 sets I really don't remember the reps it just hurt.  I have to admit my fervor for lifting had ebbed at that point and I was happy that I was getting to leave soon there after and I did not give the good mornings the attention they deserved.

phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:15am
strong fellow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 1:43am

21 January

4pm with throwers outside

10*40 yard sprints, nothing like running with a bunch of 19 year old college kids to make you feel old and slow but I got most of the soreness out from the day before

5pm Tarleton Rec center - shoulder and back

Standing military press 135*8, 185*8, 225*4

Push press 225*8, 275*8, 315*4

Wide grip chin ups 8, 6, 5, 4  got some spotter help and did some extras on the sets but those are the numbers I got on my own.

Much like bi and tri day the rest was pretty much just vanity lifting.  I am going to go for heavy tire and plyo work today so an easy day is kind of necessary for me right now, I am not ready to go balls to wall 7 days a week just yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 12:47pm

22 January

11:00 am Tarlton Rec center

bi/tri

nothing spectacular with the exception of my first ever legitimate set of curls with the 100 lb dumbells.

3:00 track practice

Medium size tractor tire backwards drags for 20 yards by 6 reps

two medium size tires, one stacked on the other 20 yards by 2 reps

55 gallon blue platic barrel with 20 gallons of water in it, three carries between 50 and 75 feet

small tractor tire clean and press 13 reps in 1 minute

small tractor tire cleand press 7 reps in 1 minute

barely able to shift gears in my truck on the way home, but felt good about the effort

thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 12:59pm
That sounds fun.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:39am

25 January

4:00 pm Track practice

7k med ball throws over the cage, about 20. 

5:00 pm Tarleton Rec Center - Chest

Flat bench 405*5, 475*3, 455*4, 425*5, last set a drop set 405*5, 315*5, 225*6, 135*7 or 8 kind of lost it

Incline bench 225*8, 315*6, 225*10

Flat bench fly's 35s 3*10 to the ground with straight arms

Wide bench machine 5 plates a side 3*8, 4 plates a side 1*12

Pec deck 3 sets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 1:53pm

26 January

4:00 pm

10*20 yard sprints felt better than last week

5:00 pm

Bi/tri

really crushed it today, legs tomorrow

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 2:40pm
Man, you are one strong mofo.... *whew*
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 12:17am
[x]pressing
[x]pressing
[x]lots of pressing
[x]squatting
[ ]pulling

How much do you weigh Quint?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 11:42am

Alan - thanks man, I just need to throw more

Craig,

I hover in between 295 and 305 down from 325 last year hopefully on the way to a moderatly ripped 280. 

Last year during our winter break I was hitting clean and snatch once a week with two of our assitant strength coaches, one of them left so the other one does not hit the o lifts as much.  I went in there monday and started warming up then football came into the weight room to lift.  I talked to the strength coach today and I am going in on friday before track practice.  I am glad you asked about that because my plan is to lift soley on the platform and squat rack after May 19th.  I say that because I am going for either a double body weight bench or 600lbs, which ever I can get.  I say May 19th because that is my 30th birthday and I will max out on bench and that will hopefully be the last time I go over 405 again and the first day of totally giving my self over to highland games lifting.

27 January

5:00 pm  Tarleton Rec Center

Back squat 405*5, 495*5, 495*5, 585*(epic failure), 405*5, 405*3 I was not recovered from the sprints I did the day before and my legs felt real unsteady after my second set of 5 wheels.  I should not have even attempted anything more but pride and my lifting partners got the better of me.

Zercher squat from bottom position, never tried these before 135*8, 225*8, 315*5, 365* another epic failure I was gassed and not ready for that one

Standing ham string curl 4 sets

Leg press maching one f*#^&ng rep. right after that I took the knee sleeves off, tucked my tail between my legs and came home to report on my less than stellar leg day. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:04pm

28 January

5:00 Tarleton Rec center

Back and shoulder day

two reps on lat pull, I promptly left the lifting area and went into the basketball area.

I played basketball for an hour.  I am totally out of shape and this kicked my a%$.  I honestly think I was burned out from last week, I had no power and it showed.

29 January

1:00 pm Tarleton Athletic weight room

6*2 Clean and press 90 to 140 kilo

4 sets of shrugs 5 wheels

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/10 at 12:23pm

30 January Keller Fossil Ridge High School - A fabulous Joathan Irvin coached Clinic

It was a balmy 26 degrees or so with a 15 mph North wind blowing across icy frozen gound, which in of itself its not so bad but it was 75 last weekend so that made it feel much colder.

Threw all the event save caber and overhead.  There were no standards for height events and once the ice melted caber became a little dangerous for the newbies.  Picked up some really nice tips and drills so it was worth the numb feet and stinging fingers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:00am

1 February

5:00 Tarleton Rec Center

Flat Bench 405 5*5 Could not get in the groove to move up, so I just ground it out and it was ugly.

Flat Bench Press laying on the floor.  I had never done these before and it was very interesting doing them right after bench.   I went 225*20, 315*20, 315*10  I should have started with 315 I would have got more out of it than just leaving a huge sweat ring on the rec floor.

Flat Bench Fly 4 sets with 40 straight arm trying to stretch

A three machine giant set with the incline, regular and decline bench machines.  This was killer cause that is way more pressing than I normally do on chest day. 3 sets of 10 an all 3 machines.

Cable decline bench flys 3 sets to finish

I was not in a great mood after standing in the cold all day and it showed in my intensity.

Bosyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:38am
Keep it up Mr Quint!

Btw what's the difference between flat bench on a bench and on the floor? I get that your elbows can't go to far down but not seeing the benefit of that.
Remind me why an Englishman is playing in a Scottish game in Texas?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:02am
I keep coming in there looking for a deadlift day.  You must be keeping those secret?

And, this "Flat Bench Press laying on the floor" are called Floor Presses.

Bosyn - Floor presses are for tricep work and also to strengthen the midpoint of a regular bench.  They are paused in the bottom.  It is a classic old school powerlifting movement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 12:17pm

James,

thanks man, you throwing at Scarby?

Craig,

I am getting there man, I did it twice last semester (deadlift) and it will happen by the end of the month.  I finally have enough legs under me to feel comfortable getting some weight on there.   I appreciate the feedback that is exactly what I need to spur me on.

2 February

2:30 PM before track practice

10-12 56lb over head throws at a branch by the discus ring.  Chad Gustin cleared it two years ago and I hit it with the handle today so I am making some progress.

5:00 PM Tarleton Rec Center

Bi's/Tri's

Nothing special but I almost got 225 on straight bar skull crusher

Bosyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:34pm
Yes once again you will be subjected to the Englishman throwing "wrong handed" :)
Remind me why an Englishman is playing in a Scottish game in Texas?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/10 at 12:24pm

3 January

3:00 PM Tarleton Pool

Me against two of my best throwers in water tug a war in the deep end, rough.  I only did it twice and didn't win either round, then I stopped and decided against a third round for fear of drowning.

Back Squat 405*5, 495*5, 605*2(with a third attempt that crushed my soul)405*5, 315*10 That 605 was a PR since my initial retirement from heavy lifting in 2003.

Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine super set 3*3*8

Straight leg deadlift with 3*8 185

Standing Ham curl 4 sets each leg

We even did the hip abdcutor machine for a few reps at the end of the day. Felt way better than last week, ready for a killer week next week with some deadlift on February 13th.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 12:20pm

4 January

3:00 PM Tarleton Rec Center

1 hour of half court basketball with the throwers, it is still raining and sloppy as hell out by the rings.  This was my first basketball game since fall of 2008 and it was rather painful especially after leg day.

Shoulders and Back

Highlights - 9 solid chin ups at 304lbs, set of 15 with the heaviest dumbells in the place on military press, and some pretty decent jump shrugs with 405 (practicing hook grip).

Hopefully some caber and light hammer tomorrow afternoon if it drys enough to get my caber to the training field.

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Quint T Melius Quint T Melius wrote:

Highlights - 9 solid chin ups at 304lbs

Wow!  Nice!
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 1:30pm
That is nice!
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 11:30am

8 February

Nothing outside the last 4 days it has been soaked around here and my stuff is still reaking from the clinic last weekend.  I skipped out on bi's and tri's on Friday which is a new one for me.

5:00 Tarleton Rec Center

Flat bench 405*5, 495*1, 515*0 (it will be there next week or two) 455*4, 405*5, 405-5-315-5-225-12 drop set to finish I felt ready to rumble today so I went for it, in retrospect I should have waited for the "five plate jingle".

Decline press touching the throat 225*20,15 185*15

Flys - straight arm with 50's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 12:07pm

9 February

2:00 PM track practice

Tried some light weight for distance, it was too sloppy on the grass so I took about 6 throws off the javelin runway it felt ok an I was able to use the lines of the jav sector to keep my form focused.

5:00 pm Tarleton Rec Center

bi's and tri's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic