FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG:Alan Hebert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363738
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/13 at 1:19pm
Thank you for the PLATE honor and Congrats!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
MNichols View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/13 at 3:54pm
Honored to be in the lineup, Alan.
Congratulations.
Martin Nichols
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/13 at 8:09pm
Good to hear someone's using my plate!  Looks like you're on track for a good year, Alan!
Watch for falling rocks!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/13 at 9:49am
First Games of the season, which I did on minimal practice, but at least not NO practice.  I Threw in the Masters on Saturday and went back for more punishment in a general Open Mens class on Sunday.

Saturday Masters

Braemar Stone - 26' 10" (beat this on Sunday @ 27' 4" in the Open competition)
Open Stone - 33' 2"
Heavy Weight for Distance (42) - 35' 6" PR...very happy with that.
Light Weight for Distance - 50' 6.5" (fouled two at 51+)

Heavy Hammer - 62' 0.5" (horrible hammers all weekend,  beat this by a foot and a bit more on Sunday in the Open competition)
Light Hammer - 75' 6" (again, horrible numbers - beat this on Sunday, 78' 10" in the Open competition)

Weight over Bar - 13
Sheaf - 23, considering as  haven't touched a fork or bag since October, that ain't too bad
Caber - 18 feet, 65 pounds- 12:00, but muffed the first one badly.   Need caber practice.

Sunday Open

sheaf ... nuttin.  I had it high enough to clear the bar at 17 but couldn't get the bag over.  I never throw a 20 pound bag and it was really sticky.
WOB ... 10, nicked the bar at 11, 3x..my usual with the 56 pounder
16 hammer... 78' 10" - almost acceptable.
22 Hammer ... 63+ ...better, but still not great.
Braemar stone... 27' 4"...had three throws all practically in the same divot
O stone ... 31' 10"
HWFD ... 17 feet or some such pathetic number. Fouled the first one which was about 23.
LWFD .... 41 and change.  No hips. Nothing. Zero. Out of gas.

Caber... 18 feet, 95 lbs, not much taper....got an 80 deg. I think. I'm pretty sure that I can turn this stick when I'm not exhausted, but no love on  Sunday

My hips just totally failed after lunch on Sunday.  I had a *Great*  Braemar sequence...three throws over 27, which is fantastic for me. After that...O stone was "Ok", not great and everything else was just sad.  My hips said "Done for today" after the second 56 WFD and the numbers were just awful.  I literally could not hold myself in power position during the weight throws, and fouled the first two LWFD and then settle for a very shaky single-spin to get that 41 footer. .  I've never had that happen before.  Ah, well....live and learn. I squeaked out a win in the Masters overall on Saturday and managed to tie for 2nd on Sunday.
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/13 at 11:12am
Congrats on the win!
Watch for falling rocks!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/13 at 2:09pm
Thanks, Greg!

Priorities for this season, in no particular order, even though they're numbered...

1.)  get something sort of halfway decent at the 56 WFD  for Scotland.
  1a.)  throw at 4-5  Games in Scotland, including Inverary and have fun and don't make an idjit out of     myself.
2.)  14 *&%()#$  damn feet with the 42  pounder in WOB
3.)  70 feet in heavy hammer.
4.)  break 87 feet in light hammer- SO stuck in hammers since 2010
5.)  3 Games in a row of 54+ in LWFD
6.)  get on the podium at Pleasanton, one more time....probably in Sundays caber.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/13 at 9:58am
I'll be rooting for you, good luck in Scotland!Clap
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/13 at 11:07pm
Good goals, Alan!

BTW, if you get a chance in Inveraray, find out if would be possible for me to do both Backhold Wrestling & Heavy Athletics. I'm afraid they're both at the same time & I'll have to choose...
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/13 at 11:07am
I haven't updated in a while, but I've been throwing - almost no gym time but 2-3 throwing sessions per week. Club throwing sessions are good but I spend a lot of time being "coach" so it's good to get out on my own once a week.  Last week I managed to get out for 60-90 minutes, twice, solo.

My 56 HWFD is improving. I took Marty Nichols advice to ease up and not get into it so hard and that lets me get around and stay balanced. I'm throwing pretty consistently over 21 feet with the occasional big one out to 24.  With luck I'll add a foot or two to that by July.

LWFD needs more drills. I need to hit the fundamentals, go slow and easy and set up the pull.  Pretty much every practice throw now is really close to 50 or better and I drop in what seems to be 54 footers semi-regularly.  42 HWFD is coming along fine.  My PR at Sonora was a good throw but even that one wasn't as balanced as it could have been. I think I have a 36 footer in the tank, I just have to hit it.

Stones are good. I'm getting much better at getting under the stone in the power position and then throwing *through* the stone.  I hit a lot of 33 foot standing throws with my 15.6 pound rock, nowadays.   21.6 pound Braemars go 27 feet pretty often.  I'm not drilling the shuffle much at all, it's all been standing throws.

Hammer...heavy hammer is about the same, nothing to report.  Light hammer, I've finally settled on the rhythm and technique that I will use. I've spent two seasons trying this and that and it don't work.  So, enough.  Last practice I warmed up with 40 winds, in sets of 10 heavy-light-heavy-light, then threw about 5-6 heavy single-wind-and-release, then 5-6 full throws.  Then I did 5-6 single-wind-and-release with the 16 hammer and THEN did 10 full throws. That's a fair bit of hammer throwing and all my 16 pounders were 80 feet-plus with a couple out to 84.  I think I have something to build on, here.

WOB, not working it enough. We'll do some wob at CHAC practice, today.  Caber, slow but steady. I've been prepping sticks, and not throwing them as much as I will, later.

--> and that's this months update!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/13 at 1:43pm
Been throwing a lot this past month...3x a week, though some of that is playing "coach" at CHAC throws.

Light hammer is settling in, had a good session on  Sunday.  LWFD is good, HWFD is not as reliable, but still fine.  I hit a breakthrough in standing stone about a week ago, it will take a while for that to show up in my braemar numbers, but it'll be there....happy with that.

The current stinker is my total lack of progress  in weight over bar, but I've sent an inquiry to Matt about some stuff to do about that, and I have A PLAN...which beats what I've been doing until now.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 2:11pm
Had a so-so day at Woodland.  I was a bit low on *kaboom* so stones were meh, but Roger Saunders had  a good suggestion regarding standing throws, and I'll be implementing that. If I hadn't fouled my third Braemar, it would have been a huuuggge PR.  Final numbers...Braemar was OK @ 25' 9 with the 23 pound stone we usually throw, but Open stone was a bit off at 30' 10".  Should be 32, nowadays.

Hammers were pretty good, but the nice numbers on the certificate are just one out of three throws, the others were significantly lower, esp in light hammer so that's not so great.  Still, I can't complain about 82 and 66, respectively.  That's in the ballpark of where they ought to be.

Weights were bluidy awful. I manage to ooch out one almost acceptable throw in each event so the final numbers don't look too bad but I was all over the place.   Just horrible.

WOB was OK, got 13 again and any time I do that, it's a good day, but I couldn't nick the bar at 14.   I didn't turn The Lion caber, we went really late and I was just plain out of gas at the end of a super-hot day.

Now I Dive into  a 5-6 weeks speed lifting block, using Matso's formula.  The goal is to get 14 feet WOB by Portland.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

The goal is to get 14 feet WOB by Portland.

me too.. lol
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 2:53pm

Had a so-so day at Woodland. 

*cough* still won his Masters division *cough* Wink

Clap
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

The goal is to get 14 feet WOB by Portland.

me too.. lol

HA!  Jake, I think your goal is to get 16 or 17 by Portland! LOLLOL

Tom, yeah, I won my division  55-59. If you combined the 50-54's  with the 55-59's I'd have been about 5th or 6th.  I have a really cool marble trophy sitting on my dresser at home, and trust me, I LIKE it. It's a *Really* cool trophy.  I pet it, every single morning when I wake up...LOL J/K.   It's fun to win the class. Of course it is.

At this point though, I'd rather throw big, than "win".  I've won some classes, and I've placed 2nd and 3rd and DFL a bunch of times, too.  "Winning" the class or finishing at the bottom of the heap just depends on who shows up.  However, hitting the positions and being athletic and throwing at the top of your potential?  That's ALL YOU. -- doesn't matter who showed up to "win" if your definition of "winning" is beating yourself.

I'm pleased that I'm 57 years old and still getting a little bit better.  I hit a PR in Open Stone in the last Games of last season,  out to 35 feet+.   The Games before that I PR'd in LWFD at 53+.  I started a LWFD streak in which I threw over 50 feet, four Games in a row.  Yeah, I broke the streak with a 48' 10" at Woodland, but I'll get back up on the pony at Costa Mesa, I think.  I got a PR in HWFD of 35+ at Sonora this year, which beats the HWFD PR that I set at Pleasanton last year.    I turned cabers last year that I never could have turned in previous years.  This year, I'm in the hunt for a PR in WOB...really want that 14.  On the other hand, I'm working as hard as I can in hammers to just stay in the same place!  GAAA!

All in all, not bad for a 57 year old geezer athlete.

THOSE are the things that I really aim for, the real reward is seeing the tape pulled tight and reading the biggest number, ever.

--->> And then there's the even bigger reward of having the respect and friendship of your fellow competitors.  I'd take that over any marble trophy, ANY day.
rogerws76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerws76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 5:13pm
Alan, you can't be 57 yet! You were 54 just last year!! :)
Roger
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 5:33pm

I think you missed my point. The last two games I've left the weight out front at opening height and no-heighted. lol.. At this point I'd settle for just getting it over the bar at 13, haha.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/13 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

I think you missed my point. The last two games I've left the weight out front at opening height and no-heighted. lol.. At this point I'd settle for just getting it over the bar at 13, haha.

Oh, I didn't realize that you no-heighted at Vegas!.... GAAAAAA um, yeah.  LOL...I'd be annoyed, too!  Good for you for keeping your sense of humor about it.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 3:31pm
All training has come to a complete stop because of the De Quervains tendonitis, as well as some aggravated tendons in my right elbow.  Grrr.  On the other hand, I don't have untreatable cancer, so I should be able to deal with it.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 4:00pm
Hope you recover quickly, Alan! Are you still going to be able to make it to Costa Mesa?
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 5:03pm
I will be there on Sunday, won't be there on Saturday. Long story.  Mrs. Alan, out of nowhere decided that she wanted to come along that weekend. This evolved into visiting her brothers family....all good, of course....and staying with friends. She doesn't want to go to the Games two days in a row, and of course it would be horrible if I went on Saturday, leaving her on her own, so I won't be there Saturday.   I will be there Sunday. Whether I throw or not, we'll see.  I hope so.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 5:17pm

She doesn't want to go to the Games two days in a row, and of course it would be horrible if I went on Saturday, leaving her on her own, so I won't be there Saturday.   I will be there Sunday. Whether I throw or not, we'll see.  I hope so.

wait a second.............. sooooooooooo she wants to go all the way down there to hang out with her family and friends, which is cool, but it's an ordeal if you leave her on her own.............wait for it.............. to hang out with her family and friends when the whole reason YOU'RE going down there is for the games? 

O_o

some women, sheesh.. lol

I've got a couple friends like that as well. Hats off to you and your patience.

eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 7:05pm
Cool - I'll see you on Sunday then! Hopefully you're healed up & can throw!
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/13 at 12:35pm
Right elbow is getting better, it might be pain-free by next week, which would be great. I'm thinking positive.  Left wrist is still a mess, which is NOT good, considering as it's three days out from a cortisone shot.   I have a better wrist/thumb brace ordered and will be icing like crazy the next few days.  If there's no improvement by mid-next week, I will have to contact Dr. Jennifer and probably start some physical therapy, and then the prognosis goes from a month to 4-5-6 before recovery.  Boo.

Jake, I don't mind that she wants to come down to So Cal, I'm just taken aback that she decided this, two weeks before the event.  That is SO so so, NOT Mrs. Alan.  This is the woman that freaks out if she doesn't have everything planned 3 months ahead of time.  Yeah, I'm kind of bummed that I won't be there on Saturday, as there are some friends who'll be there only on Saturday that I won't see, but it's not the end of the world.  However, I AM a patient guy! LOL
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/13 at 2:49pm
The cortisone seems to be helping, finally. I set up the sheaf standards at the field on Sunday and then because that didn't hurt at all, decided to throw a little bit....first time in a week +, really.

5  light hammer tosses, went short @ about 76 or so, but they didn't hurt, which was the main thing.
5  LWFD throws...short but felt OK.  45 footers.
5  HWFD throws ... farged one up, but had one decent toss and three biggies at 32+, so happy with this since this weight is absolutely NOT a flier..
5. O stone standing throws.... a little bit short, but not horrible @ about 30' 6" - 31.  should be 32+ with this rock.  Right elbow had some twinges after doing this  and it's a bit sensitive  this morning (Monday) at work..

So, clearly I should be able to dose up with Advil in the morning and be fine at Costa Mesa.  Three more practices before CM...they will be WOB, sheaf, probably some caber, and LWFD.  NO STONES.

I'm looking forward to being able to get back in the weight room. - maybe Friday.

-->  Signed up for Portland last night. YAY!

The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/13 at 3:27pm
Welcome aboard Alan!  I have a 96lb. Rock who wants to dance with you Approve
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/13 at 5:05pm
Me 'n the rock....1-2-3 cha-cha-cha! LOL
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/13 at 2:33pm
Been spending more time with light hammer the past couple of weeks.  Hips are sore, but the hammer is flying well.   I've been foam rolling, stretching and grinding my butt into a softball to loosen it up.   I'm hoping for some good numbers this upcoming weekend in Costa Mesa.

And in other news, I just did a totally insane thing. I just invited Mike Buncic to come out and train with us at Stanford.  He lives about a half hour south of here and teaches biology at a local HS.  That would be a kick in the pants, if he decided to give it a try. - one of my discus heroes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363738
  Share Topic