FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Matt Thompson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Matt Thompson
    Posted: 1/26/10 at 5:39am
Alright, I've been posting my log somewhere else for my information, but here I can get invaluable feedback, so here goes.

Focus:

The body is one piece
Pay EXTRA Respect to the lesser parts of the body (Strengthen the weak links)
Target Fixation (Focus on the Goal)

Nutrition:

Calorie cycling with basic Macro Nutrient Balance

3 days deficit (-15%)
1 day "clean" surplus (+5%)
3 days deficit (-15%)
1 day Free

Macros
45%-55% Carb
25%-35% Protein
15%-25% Fat (Focus on "Good" Fats, Fish Oil, Almonds, etc.)

Schedule:

Strength Training

Strength Workouts A, B & C setup with planned 2 days off between workouts (workout every 3rd day, with some flexibility).  this puts me on a 9 day rotation.  This is a long rotation for my upper body, but seems to suit my lower body well.  As my recovery time improves, I will shorten up the rotation.

Workout A - Squats & Deadlifts + assistance work
Workout B - Clean, Snatch, Push Press + assistance work
Workout C - Push/Pull - Incline, Push-ups, Various Rows, Pull-Ups + assistance work

Added Focus - Currently incorporating 5x5 self assisted Pull-ups at end of every strength workout (Toes on bench giving just enough assistance to make the pull)

C@rdio Training (yeah, I know that is a bad word...  )

I am significantly reducing body fat this year (40+ pounds of fat gone in 3.5 months and another 30 to go.)

3-5 sessions per week. 
Prefer Morning Fasted Cario for efficiency, but willing to do post strength workout. 
20-40 minute sessions
Incoroporate Interval training (cardio machine or speed lifts) regularly.
One workout per week with interval work using core workout.

I will add the last couple of workouts soon.
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 6:32am

wow.

I am very interested to read your training log.

How do you keep your diet so organized? I know it amounts to counting calories, but calculating the % of deficit or surplus is super specific. pretty cool.

mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 7:41am
First off.  WOW!  Never expected a legend like you to be the first comment on my Log... (It's bad enough that I have Mike Smith checking on me regularly at work...)

Second.  Read those %'s as "Target".  I am pretty flexible, so a "15% Deficit" means somewhere between 10% and 20%, and "5% surplus" means anywhere from 0% to 10%.  And the "Maintenance" level is a Total Daily Estimated Expenditure (TDEE) that is based on average activity level for a week, not individual daily activities.

I eat five or six meals a day, each with a decent split of protein & carbs.  I use Myfitnesspal.com for logging my diet and cardio.  It gives me the option to put my "Target Intake" Value in and makes it easy to estimate calories when eating out.  Right now I'm hitting somewhere between 2500 and 3000 calories per day.  That makes for six meals averaging between 415 and 500 cal or five meals averaging between 500 & 600 calories.  After a couple of months it is pretty easy to pick things to eat that fall into this range.  I try to eat more for breakfasts (1st 2 meals) and less at night (last meal).

I started Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle back in October (www.burnthefat.com  I highly recommend it.  I don't get anything out of other people buying it, but I think they might.  It taught me WHY I should do all of the things we've all heard about before.  Knowing why made a huge difference to me). 

Very well organized lifestyle plan that focuses on Goals, Nutrition, Strength Training and Cardio.  Based on this information, I started recording my Total Body Weight and taking Skin Fold Measurements to that I could track change in Body Fat %.  This also gives me an estimate of my Lean Body Mass. 

Based on Lean Mass I use the Katch-McCardle (?sp) method for calculating Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) and then apply an activity factor to get the TDEE mentioned above.  I have a spreadsheet that does this for me and re-adjusts each week based on changes in Lean Mass.  Every other method I have ever seen creates a BMR that is way too low if you have significant muscle mass. 

This is the first program I've seen that really understands how to deal with Athletes.  It was written by a body builder, but that doesn't mean that you have to be a body builder to use it.  He even specifies that if you have specific strength interests, then you should do Strength Training that is based on your sport.

The beauty of this method is that if you do it right, your Caloric requirements do not drop as you loose Fat weight.  In fact my BMR and TDEE are up somewhat from when I started and I am still maintaining Fat Loss from week to week. 

It is basically a Zig-Zag diet.  I re-feed every 4th day to kick my metabolism back in and allow for muscle repair.  Then I cut back for 3 days to burn off some of the fat.  With the 6 meals per day my blood sugar levels remain fairly constant and I stay in a nice active burn throughout the day on deficit days and a nice steady muscle feed on the surplus days.  I can't wait until I have removed the fat I need to get rid of and I can use this method primarily for muscle mass building.
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 8:25am
Saturday 1/23/2010 - Official Weigh in
Total Body Weight - 278.4#
Illiac Skin Fold - 16.5mm 
Body Fat % - 19.2% (paying attention to changes)
Lean Body Mass (LBM) - 224.9#
Body Fat Mass (BFM) - 53.5#

Targets - 4/3/2010
Total Body Weight - 260#
Illiac Skin Fold - 10mm 
Body Fat % - 13.2% (paying attention to changes)
Lean Body Mass (LBM) - 225.5#
Body Fat Mass (BFM) - 34#

Rest Day following Workout C from previous week
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 8:38am
Sunday 1/24/2010

First throwing Session of New Year

Breamar - Warmup - 5 throws
Open - 5 throws (37' don't know weight, maybe 16#)
LWFD - 6 throws (54' even, PR)
LH - 10 throws (72' on first...  PR, the rest were worse...)
WOB - 10 attempts
Sheaf - 10 attempts (took some pointers)

Workout A - Squats & Deads

Warmup:
Overhead Squats - 10 @ 65#
Split Squats - Body weight only - 8 each leg
Stretching
Rotator Cuff exercises
SLDL - 10 @ 135#
DL - 3 @ 225#

Dead Lifts

2 @ 295#
2 @ 365#
1 @ 435#
505# Fail x2 (to knees on first attempt)  See DL Goals for discussion
1 @ 455#
1 @ 465# (Felt good & easy)
485# Fail
2 @365# Form Work

Front Squats
3x5@135 ATTG holding at bottom (~1-2 second)

Back Squats
1x5@225 ATTG
3x5@275 ATTG

3x8
Leg Curls
Split Squats (Body Weight)
Calf Raises (3x12)

5x5 Self Assisted Pull-ups (toes on bench giving me just enough to make the pull-up)

Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 8:56am
I guess Introductions are in order... 

I'm a 34 year old Newbie here in Tulsa.  I threw in the Tulsa games this past fall.  I'm going to Iron Thistle in March and Scarby in April.  Just got my Anniversary Present from my wife, "The Old Ball and Chain" we affectionately call it.  (She bought me "The Old Ball and Chain", my wife isn't "The Old Ball and Chain").  She bought me a LWFD and a 16# Hammer. 

I threw Shot in High School ('93) down in my hometown of Saint Jo, TX (Class A).  I took second in state that year with a throw of 52'11".  Threw 54' at regionals.  Lost state by 3"...  Anyway, my coaches did what they knew how to, which wasn't much.  I sure wish I knew then some of the things I know now... 

Anyway, Fast forward 16 years (5-1/2 years of Engineering school and 10-1/2 spent driving a computer), it is time to regain some of my former self.  The games have always looked fun and I've thought repeatedly about getting involved, but this year was different.  I just did it.  No looking back now.
Matt Thompson

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 11:38am
Originally posted by mthompson33 mthompson33 wrote:

First off.  WOW!  Never expected a legend like you to be the first comment on my Log...

Will is going to print that out and frame it.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 2:28pm
I ought to go get my body fat tested. The gym has one of those electrical gizmos. Hm. Maybe the Amazon Goddess will ping me on that.  Too bad I didn't do it back in October.

Good idea, whatever the case.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:42am
Alan, What I found to be very useful are the Accumeasure calipers available for $5 on Amazon.  I would say that they aren't as accurate as having your BF% tested by a pro, but they are fairly precise, which allows you to track progress quite well.  I also checked my BF% using the Navy (Weight, Waist Diameter) and Air Force (Height, Neck & Waist Diameter) methods and I was in the ball park.  I have tracked changes with these and seen similar improvements.  I have even estimated a 3 point check using the accumeasure callipers and gotten close to the same.  All +/- 5%.  The important thing is to pick a method and use that method to track progress.  This feedback is helpful in adjusting your nutrition.  If you have any other questions on this PM me and I can get you the information (including calculations) for these.  I have them all setup in a spreadsheet.
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:49am
1-27-2010  AM Fasted Cardio

16 min on Elliptical - Moderate Intensity (~150 bpm)

30 min Core Superset 3 cycles (keeping HR above 135 bpm)
Core Twists w/ 35# wt - 20
Roman Chair situps - 12
Roman Chair Back Raises - 10
Hanging Leg Raises - 10
45 degree Side Bends - 12

15 min on Recumbent Bike - Random - Moderate Intensity (~148 bpm)

Today is moderate re-feed.  Shooting for 3700 calories.
Daily weight check with no change from yesterday.  Had large (2#) jump following Workout A on Sunday.  Legs feel really good today.  Tonight is Workout B.
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 5:20pm
1-27-2010. Workout B

just finished

warmup
elliptical 4 min
overheads with bar deep x5
rotator cuff warmups
single arm winds

clean grip hang snatch
5@95#
3@115#
3x2@135#

clean grip snatch
3x2@155#

hang clean + push press
3x2@185#
2@195#

power clean
2x2@215#
1@225#

clean pulls
2x4@235#

"form work" cleans
3x4@135#

over head press (no legs)
3x5@135#

BB shrugs
3x10@135#

5x5 self assisted pullups

Nutrition:

Calories 3416
Carbs 432g  (50%)
Protein 244g  (28%)
Fat 85g  (22%)

Note to self...   Sushi a couple of hours before makes good pre-workout meal...  Add low carb protein shake just before and go.
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:26am
1-28-2010

Rest Day

Nutrition (only 4 meals )

Total Calories 2295 (too low)
Carbs 245g (43%)
Protein 178g (31%)
Fat 67g (26%)

Matt Thompson

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:46am
My University has this deal where if you take a little 20 minute health assessment quiz online, they give you $100.  So I took it, no surprises, though.  However, if you sign up for an assessment visit where they do a finger-prick blood test (total glucose, HDL/LDL, stuff like that) test your blood pressure,  and do an electroconductivity  % body fat analysis, you get fifty more dollars AND two free sessions with one of the personal trainers.  So I signed up.

Can't hurt, right?  I'll have a good number for the body fat analysis.  I have my number from last year, we'll see if there's been any change.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:07am
Can't hurt.  That is a good way to track your long term progress.  Like I said most of the methods for BF% are pretty consistent as long as you test them at the same time of day and under the same conditions.  I always test my weight and BF% Fasted in the morning and before working out.  A little extra cash doesn't hurt either...  :)  And having all of the blood work done is good too.  I need to go start having annual checkups...
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 3:52am
1-29-2010

Strength Training:  WORKOUT C

Warmup:
4 min elliptical
Shoulder assistance work
single arm dumbell winds
footwork drills

Incline 4x5 & 1x4 @ 205#
(Missed the fifth rep on fifth set... 
a real hassle when lifting by yourself...
luckily with the clean work I've been doing 205 isn't that hard to deal with on your lap)

Incline Speed 3x5@135 (Narrow grip and quick lifts)

DB Rows (attempting Kroc rows)
8@45's
8@65's
3x9@90's

Bent BB Rows
6x10 @ 95#

Shrugs
3x10@95#

Rack Pulls
10@225#
3x6@315#

5x5 Self Assisted Pull-Ups (rt shoulder tight on last set)
5x6 Pushups with toes on flat bench (focus on speed)

Fat Burn:

15 min Elliptical peaking HR at 160 bpm.

Nutrition:

Total Calories - 2550
Carbs - 213g - 33%  (Low, but that is ok ever now and then)
Protein - 254g - 39%
Fat - 81g - 28%
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 3:57am
1-30-2010  Weekly Weigh in

Measurement - Current (weekly change)
Total Body Weight - 274# (-4.4#)
Illiac Skin Fold - 15mm (-1.5mm)
Body Fat % - 17.9% (-1.3%)*
Lean Body Mass (LBM) - 224.9# (Steady)
Body Fat Mass (BFM) - 49.1# (-4.4#)

* seems large, but I took the most conservative consistent measurement and LBM held steady
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/10 at 1:05pm
1-31-2010

Workout A:

warmup

4 min elliptical
leg curls
calf raises
stretching
front squats 5@135#
back squats 3@225#

back squats

ladders with body weight on bar (275#)
1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,3,2,1 (40 reps total)

nutrition:

free re-feed ~4300 calories
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 10:41am
2/1 - 2/9 recap

No lifting, recovery week.  Right Shoulder and Bicep giving me crap from my assisted pull-ups and traveling for my birthday week.

I did have a cardio session worthy of posting on this thread... 

6 hours total shoveling snow from my buddies drive in Pittsburgh...
1 hour Friday night and 5 hours straight on Saturday. 

then Night skiing at 7 springs. 

Since we were having to throw the snow a good ways to pile it in the yard away from the drive I focused on trying to get some "pop" on my throws much like sheaf...  We'll see if it did any good...  :)

I didn't track nutrition over the trip, but I was clean on Mon-Wed staying below my 2700 cal. target.  Thur was travel.  Fri was pretty clean.  I way under-ate on Saturday with the shoveling and skiing, but made up some calories with barley wine...  Sunday we didn't eat anything until like 1pm and I ate enough for the day in one meal.  Including a Scotch Egg (mmmmmmm....), Salmon Boxty and a traditional Irish Breakfast...  and washed it down with a wee-heavy... 
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/10 at 8:13am
2/10/2010

Morning Fasted Cardio & Core
12 min High Intensity Elliptical
Roman Chair Superset
35# Trunk Twists & Hanging Leg Raises Superset
11 min High Intensity Rowing (new Concept 2 Rowing Machine in Gym & had to try it out.  Couldn't walk after 11 min... Really liked it.)

Tonight - Workout A after full week of no lifting.  Still resting/active recovery on Right Bicep.

Squats & High Pulls
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/10 at 7:52am

Good calorie day. Finished up with around 2900 and two workout sessions. Very clean.

Evening workout:

Blah... Not enough energy. Don't try to lift heavy at night on a deficit day after doing fasted cardio that morning... Also couldn't get right hip flexor to loosen up, so no pushing the weight up. Probably due to Core workout in AM. Last time I tried to push the weight up, with tight hip flexor, I tweaked my quad.

Squats

Front - 3x5 @ 185#
Back - 3x8 @ 265#

Incline Press

185#

Cable Pull Downs (on knees) 3x8@135#

Matt Thompson

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/10 at 5:45am
I just got on the rowing machine  yesterday for the first time in years...kicked mah butt in five minutes and I was going easy. I think I'm going to incorporate this into my routine at least weekly  for the next month and see if I can work up to a more intense session for 7 minutes.

I'm guessing that going longer, while it will have major cardio benefits, will  not benefit throwing that much, while pulling harder, might. It's not optimal...I'd rather be squatting, but it's hella better than nothing.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/10 at 8:05am
Alan, it seems like a pretty good way to get some cardio work in while working some speed and strength.  It lets you focus on timing your pull (arms) with your push (legs) and even engages the hams if you pull hard to reset for the next stroke.  With enough resistance you can get some decent resistance and it feels kinda like a clean pull but on a different plane of motion (and repeated several hundred times).  I'm not looking for a huge amount of time on the machine, but I do want the intensity to be HIGH.  Might have to experiment with some Interval work to really blast the HR up.
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 7:23am

I read the site someone was talking about in another thread HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training).  I like the idea of one big set per exercise on my deload week, and working all exercises 3x in that week.

This is a de-load week for me prepping for a 4 week cycle progressing up to heavy Ladders. So, I was looking for a creative way to mix up my workout to try and rest the joints, get some endurance and potentially work some of the stabilizers.

I used a single set 15 rep workout last night for 7 exercises.

Front Squat(135#)
Hang Cleans(135#)
Push Press (10@135#)
Back Squat (225#)
Cable Pull Downs (#120)
Incline Press (135#)
DB Rows (50#).

Very interesting. I barely broke a sweat. I was done in 30 minutes. My body was, and still is, feeling like I got ran over by a truck (in a good way). I had to eat something afterward to get rid of the nausea.

I will do this workout 3 times this week going up 5 or 10 pounds per workout. I'll let you know what I think about it after that.

This is a departure because I've been doing 3 major movements 1x per week for a while. (Squats/Deads, Cleans/Snatch, Push/Pull). Here I am doing all movements 3x in a week with lower weights.

Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/10 at 2:26am
Morning C@rdio & Core

Elliptical 16 min
Roman Chair Front/Back
Hanging Leg Raise/Russian Twist 10# (ouch)
Suitcase lifts 85#
Rowing 11 min
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 7:32am

2-17-2010 Evening Strength

Wow, those 85# suitcase lifts from the morning really nailed my core... Woke up this morning with nice DOMS on both sides of my lower back and obliques...

Last night: 2 min rowing + warm up

Front Squats 15@145#
Overhead Press/Push Press 13@135#
Back Squat 15@240#
Cable Pull Downs 15@135#
Incline Press 15@145#
SL Deadlifts 10@145#
Hang Cleans 15@145# (had to rest briefly after 12, so not a true 15 rep set)
Shrugs 15@145#
Dumbell Rows 15@60#

Nutrition: Re-feed 3717cal

Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/10 at 2:37pm
Strength Training 2-19-2010

Last night of single set de-load week.

Decided to go for Body Weight on Bar 15 rep set...

Got 14 reps.  270#  (really knocked me out for the rest of the workout...)

Back Squat - 14@270#
Push Press - 10@135# - 5@135#
Front Squat - 11@145#
Cable Pull Downs (kneeling) - 15@165#
Incline Press - 14@135# - 1@135#
Hang Cleans - 15@135#
Shrugs - 15@135#
SLDLs - 15@135#
DB Rows - 15@70#

As the week went on, this single set workout started adding up.  The first workout was quick and didn't seem to work up a sweat.  This last workout definitely worked up a sweat.  I am impressed with the change this workout made for my 270# Squat.  I did it just over a week ago and couldn't get more than 8 reps in a set.  After two workouts pushing 15 rep sets at lighter weight, I improved greatly in a short period of time. 

I am jumping into a 5-3-1 inspired cycle.  The main deviation is on squat.  I'm looking for explosive squats, so I'm increasing the reps from 5-3-1 to 9-7-5 and dropping percentages by 10%.  I am doing the rest of the primary lifts at the prescribed reps and percentages.  I will be doing 2 assistance lifts each night.

2-20-2010 - Weekly Weigh In

Total Body Weight - 268.4#
Illiac SKF - 12.5mm
BF% - 15.7%
LBM = 226.3#
BF = 42.1#

Last Week (2/13/2010)
Total Body Weight - 270.6#
Illiac SKF - 13.5mm
BF% - 16.7%
LBM = 225.4#
BF = 45.2#

Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 2:56am

2-21-2010 Beginning of 5-3-1 Inspired Program

Nutrition: Feed Day - High Calories (didn't log)

Activity: Strength Training Cycle Start

For Squats I want to work more volume, so I bumped the reps up 9-7-5 and the percentages down 10% based on the intensity factor tables. I used the same intensity factors as 5-3-1 for the higher reps, which turned out to be a 10% drop in percentage of max weight.

Squats (estimated 1RM = 350#)

Wave 1 - Workout A
Warmup
Squats - 9@65%(225#) - 9@70%(245#) - 9@75%(265#)
SLDL - 5x10@135#
Calf Raises - 5x15@(6 plates on leg press sled)
Squats - 2x10@175# 1x8@175# POP! (Should have been 5x10)

Ouch... Hip popped as I was entering the bottom of eccentric portion. No significant pain immediately following. Hip felt a little looser (it had been a little tight, again). Next morning pretty sore. Joint soreness, not muscular, so Ice and my best buddy IBU...

Any ideas about what i did, particularly, what I could be doing wrong (form) to induce this behavior?  I should probably video next squat workout.  I am going as deep as possible on these squats.  I've noticed that I sometimes roll my right leg in during the concentric phase, but I was focusing on keeping my legs steady and smooth.  Could pelvic position cause something like this?  What really stinks is that it was on a much lighter squat than what I had done earlier in the workout...  I was actually focusing on form... 

Any thoughts or input appreciated. 

Thanks,
Matt Thompson

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 3:21am

Did you relax into the bottom?  If you were warmed up and not paying attention to all the muscles (I have done this), then some start to slack and let the major muscles take over.  This 'could' have led to one of the hip socket muscles being too loose.

I have found that with my ATG and deep box squats I really need to focus on keeping hammies and glutes tight all the way down.  That is only way I can get them to fire as hard as thighs on way up.

Sounds like you just have a stretch injury (I AM NOT A DOCTOR) from a temporary dislocation.  Just let it heal and yes ice will take the inflamation down so it can heal quicker.

That is my only guess on what could cause it that would not be injury/bad form related.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 5:07am
Dave,  Thanks.  Yeah, I was pretty relaxed on the way down.  It was significantly lighter weight than I had been lifting, and quite easy to move, so I wasn't as focused on it.  I'll work on keeping my hams and glutes engaged next squat session (next  Monday if everything is feeling better).
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/10 at 1:18am

2-23-2010 – 5-3-1 Inspired Cycle – Wave 1 Workout B – Incline

1RM – 250# (estimated)

Incline:

5@185#  5@200#  5@215#

Cable Pull-Downs (kneeling)

5x7@150#

DB Rows

5x10@85# (each arm)

Incline

3x10@125#  2x6@125#  3x3@115#  (Totally Burnt, nothing left)

Nutrition – 2900 Calories Good Split

Matt Thompson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic