FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jason Cherry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/10 at 9:35am

29APR10  THU

No throwing as it is raining.

HP  180  3x5

PP  145  3x5

DL  400  3x5

BN 210  3x5

"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/10 at 1:56pm
Jason, when you throw the weights for
distance do you cast then throw your
hips into the throw to get ahead of the
weight? This gives you time to drop your
hips which accelerates the weight. You
do this on the first and second cast,
concentrate on lowering the weight with
your hips.
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/10 at 11:35am

KB,

Really I do not know if I do this or not; I read your post after I got done with practice.  I will focus on this next time and let you know.

02MAY10  SUN

Stones:  18# Braemar hit 23' consistently.  Used the same stone for the Open and got 27'.

WFD:  56# was a beast tonight and I got 15-16'.  28# beat me down also with 36-40'.  Will focus on KB's thought next time and see.

Caber:  Did not turn any of the 6 attempts.

Hammer:  Spikes...68-70' but not really feeling any difference in speed from wind 2-3 (am right handed with 3 winds).  Talked to Duncan and got some thoughts and pointers.

Sheaf:  went in at 13' x1, 14' x1, 15' x1, 16' was 7 for 10.

WOB:  went in at 8' with the 56' and went 4 for 5.  Went 3 for 5 at 9'.  Since 8' was my PR last time I am feeling better that maybe by seasons end I might smell 10' in the Death From Above.

My buddy has a camera and I hope to get some footage out there for you guys to see.  My first competition is at the end of the month and I hope to start off on a good foot.  ~ Peace.

KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/10 at 12:35pm
Jason, try this with the sheaf. If you grasp the tines with the left hand
then place the sheaf to the right of your right foot on the ground.
Place tines several inches in but not threw. Drop the hips and pull.
This teaches you timing. After several times of this then practice with
a drive. Make sure your left shoulder is touching your chin otherwise
you are not driving the bag high enough. After you have mastered
this then at the height of your backswing go up on your toes and
drive down even faster. If you master this then let your right foot
leave the ground then drop even faster.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/10 at 11:52pm

03MAY10  MON

Warm Up:  30 winds with the Light Hammer first with the Right then the Left (going lefty was really, really hard!).  Maximum attention given to hitting the LPs.

Lifting:  After reading a lot of posts on here about lifting loads at 55-75% for in season, I have chosen (mathematically) the weight for the followng movements...

HP:  180  3x5

PP:  145  3x5

SQT:  240  3x5  (bringing sexy back!  Have not squatted in some time due to quad tendonitis where it hits at the patella on the right.  Using a compression sleeve on the right, good warm up, and motrin.)

DL:  400 1x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/10 at 10:09am

04MAY10  TUE

BW of 182

Hammer practice of 30 winds right and left.  I would wind 9x then release on the tenth.  Actually beat my flag out there by foot-n-half.

Sheaf practice like KB suggested.  10x bag to my right foot, drop the hips and pull.  Followed with a single swing, left shoulder to chin, drop hips to start the drive then pull for 10 reps.

Did not feel last nights squats and deadlifts until after it was all over then I felt all hunched over like Yoda (must be that the 4th is with me!)

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/10 at 1:31pm

05MAY10  WED

Did not get to Stone or WFD with Dale since I did not get out of work early enough.

Caber:  Turned with 9-9:30s in there

Hammer:  With spikes I did winds four times and throw on the fifth.  Dale gave pointers on how to turn and add power.  Work in progress.

Sheaf:  16'

WOB:  Used the 42' over 11 and may have snuck over 12'.  Got to be a bit more patient at right before the big pull.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/10 at 2:15pm

06MAY10  THU

BW 182

HP  180  3x5

PP  145  3x5

SQT  240  3x5  (so glad to be back in the saddle here)

DL  400  1x5

Worked long so no winds of the hammer tonight

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/10 at 3:50am

09MAY10  SUN

Practice with Dale.  Is it enough to beat PRs from last year or does it only matter if you can be competitive?  I am doing better than last year already but if I look at my numbers I do not beat numbers being put up by guys like McBain or Gallo from last year.

I have taught my three year old son to ball his fists to his shoulders, arms bent at the elbows, look to the sky, shake his fists and in true Will Shattner style cry, "McBain!"

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:11pm

10MAY10  MON

BW 178.5

HP 170  3x5

PP 145  3x5

SQT 245  3x5

DL 400  1x5

Edit:  Added Bench at 200 3x5...read somewhere that it helps with Sheaf.

Also looked at diet and despite the abdominal problems I am having I need to get the calories up there.  Dipped below 180

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/10 at 11:42am

12MAY10  WED

Okay not to get to over the top but today was a great day of practice!  Got out of work early and hit the field...

Stone:  Braemar was consistent but the open hit 28-29' with the glide

WFD:  Man did this feel good!  56 was in the 19-20 range and the 28 was in the ball park of 45-46.  Could really feel the speed build and the sprint to the trig.

Caber:  Turned.  Got my hips into it and got some pop on the stick.

Hammer:  Threw my farthest with the 16#.  Really got some speed and worked on angle of release.

Sheaf:  Hitting 16' with little to do.  Still using the drills I got from KiltBill.

WOB:  56 is getting close to hitting 10' which is 2' over last years PR.  Got the 42 at 12'.  Still need to be more patient before the big pull.

Then went in for fresh Polish Sausage from Regalski's IGA (Roger City)  and Pierogies!  Life is good today.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:07am

13MAY10  THU

HP 170  3x5

PP  145  3x5

SQT  245  3x5

DL 400 1x5

BN  205  3x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:56am

17MAY10  MON

No lift today.  Versed just takes the day away...

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:04am

19MAY10  WED

Practice

Stone:  Braemar is consistent.  Open with an 18# is going 28'ish.

WFD:  56 was a beast today.  28 was mediocre at 42' consistently.

Caber:  Big break through here!  Ya gotta boost the end in your hands and not try to flip the end in my hands over the top.  Turned consistently.

Hammer:  Not

Sheaf:  Not

WOB:  5/5 at 9' and 1/5 at 9.5'

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/10 at 9:27am

20MAY10  THU

BW 181.5

HP 170  3x5

PP 145  3x5

SQT  245  3x5

DL  395   1x5  (could not find the 2.5s...kids!)

BN  210  3x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/10 at 4:15pm

21MAY10  THU

Best rest day.  Ever.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:37pm

23MAY10  SUN

Stone:  Felt good getting into the power position on the glide.  Still having a hard time 'blocking' with my left leg on the Braemar.

WFD:  Heavy went well and the Light was on par.

Caber:  3/3 with Caber #1 then went 0/7 with Dale's warm up caber.  It is a little longer than the one I use.  Does that mean more speed or more boost?

Hammer:  Felt good on the winds and then throw on the 10th attempt for a total of 30 all told.

Sheaf:  Went in at 14' 1st attempt...15' 1st attempt...16' got it on the 3rd attempt (had to keep moving away from the standard each time until I got it)...Got 17' on third and last attempt.

WOB:  9' 1st attempt...9.5' 1st attempt...10' 0/5 but the last two attempts the barrel hit the bottom of the bar parallel with the ground.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/10 at 7:11am

24MAY10  MON

BW 177...warm weather is here and all the bike rides with the kids, working in the yard, etc is adding up.  Couple this with the amount of daily calories (2000-2500) and it takes its toll.  Belly fat is dropping (was on the last notch on my belt but now on the second) but strength is the same .

HP 170  3x5

PP  140  3x5

SQT  250  3x5

DL  400  1x5

BN 205  3x5

Getting nervous for Alma; feel like a mini-throw up kinda deal when I think about it 

Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/10 at 7:52am

jason,you are among friends,have fun, thats what it's all about....

crouch,touch,pause,engage
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/10 at 12:28pm

26MAY10  WED

BW as of this morning 179

Last practice before Alma.  Dale started early so I jumped in with him then finished off from there.

Hammer:  Used the Heavy today and three throws paced off to 60' so I must have gotten something right...

Sheaf:  16' and one at 17' (the sheaf is around 18-20#)

Stone:  Good enough I suppose.  Looking forward to watching the pros throw.

WFD:  Heavy went really well today and Light was on par with 42'

Caber:  Using the longer Caber and have not turned it.

WOB:  9...9.5...and missed at 10'

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/10 at 1:02pm

27MAY10  THU

Last lift before Alma.  Nothing spectacular.  Hit my numbers/reps and went up stairs for PBJ x2 and a Quart of 2%.

Gotta keep in mind that this is only my fourth game...Watch the pros and the Ams with an open mind and keen ears and learn sumthin!

Peace.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/10 at 8:23am

31MAY10  MON

Bw 176...Alma this past weekend was 90*+ and we work black shirts!  I drank a lake but still dropped 4# in a weekend.  Waitress!  Gallon of milk for me and my friends!

After competiting this past Sunday and getting better numbers than I threw last year I was excited to hit the gym.  Kept my numbers the same 170-140-270 (okay I raised this up a bit)-400 respectively.

Unpacked the camper for time.  3-2-1-go!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/10 at 12:25pm

02JUN10  WED

Practice for the Woodhaven Games.

WOB:  42# to start.  Got 12' but like with the 56# need to be more patient.

Caber:  Used the one from Alma roughly 21' feet in length.  Need to speed up the pull on a longer caber (my previous practice one was 18').

Stone:  18# is consistent.

Getting a good night sleep and ate like I belong at the table with Mr. Duncan!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/10 at 3:00pm

05JUN10  SAT

BW 179

Woodhaven Games (Hybrid Strongman and Highland Games) by Ken Crum.

Braemar 20.5# to start.  Got 23'+ to take 5th in my weight class.

120# Keg Press for 1min.  Got 3 reps.  I went first...learned after the fact better way to do it.  Got 5th.

Farmers Walk for 100' with 400#.  41.09sec.  Took 2nd.

Caber.  First time turned it in competition.  85*, 2:30, and 1:30.  Took 2nd.

Five Atlas Stones 135#-225# over a 42" barrier.  51sec.  Took 3rd.

WOB with the 42#.  Cleared open at 10' and missed x3 at 12'.  Gassed by then.

Took third overall in my weight class.  Had a good time.  Thanks, Ken!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/10 at 7:08am

06JUN10  SUN

Rest day.  Normally practice with Dale but I choose to rest up for lifting day on Monday.

I notice that I am sore after a competition even though I throw way more attempts in practice and over a shorter length of time.  Curious.

Peace.

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/10 at 7:51am
Good job...  I am way more sore after a comp than in practice.  You can NOT mimic competition day in practice..  So its good- means you left it all out on the field...
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/10 at 9:36am
Nice job Jason! In practice you can't get the intensity behind each
throw that you can at a game. Really enjoyed following your training.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/10 at 12:34pm

07JUN10  MON

HP 170 3x5.  PP 140  3x5.  SQT  270  3x5.  DL  400  1x5.  BN  200  3x5.

Nothing rockin' just keeping the pace.  Next up on the list is Midland.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/10 at 11:59am

09JUN10  WED

Practice with Dale.

Stone:  Braemar ...spun instead of the glide for the open.  Not great but not bad either has potential.

WFD:  Consistent.  Need to be more aggressive (for lack of a better word) on the first turn after intial cast to sprint to the trig.

Caber:  Wind and rain made it very, very hard.  Called it after three attempts each.

Hammer:  Good ones out there today with the light.

Sheaf:  Got 17' (PR)

WOB:  Stood the weight on top of the bar twice in a row only to watch it fall back on my side (10') .  This is my goal height for the season!!

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/10 at 12:32pm
Good work on the sheaf Jase.  Keep working that WFH...you will find it when you need it.
The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
  Share Topic