FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jason Cherry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 4:28am
Larry Brock sells spikes and there pretty good.  It would be nice to get that squat closer to your dead.
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 5:40am

I was reading over your log. I thought you had a tendon thing and the Dr said no Deads or Squats, but then 3 days later you were deading again (oh, congrats on the 480, really nice Jason!)

Just wondering how the injury is healing?

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 8:25am

Injured my hip on the 1st of March...3rd of March Dr. Frye said no Squats or Deadlifts and take 800mg Motrin four times a day...No Squats or Deadlifts on the 5th...

Was feeling good after almost a week off from it and went back to work on the 8th.  Then pulled 480 on the 13th of the month.

Still get a 'pop' sensation in the beginning reps but it stops once I really get going.  Thanks for asking.

Also back in January Wayne Hill commented (Training of 190# athlete thread) that you cannot predict how much you can move in the Deadlift by looking at your Squat and vise versa.  It seems to me that my 1RM of 345 in the Squat would be higher since I moved 480 in the Deadlift...

*EDIT* should note my squats go deep enough to touch my dupa to a 20# dynamax ball which brings me 14" from the deck.  Do they not have to be that deep?  I am sure I could do more if they did not go that deep.

"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:44am
Jason, is the "popping" in the bottom position of your squat?  If so, I have been dealing with something similar to this for the past month or so as well.  Dave (DLBuffy) recommended tightening my hams and glutes on the eccentric portion of the squat.  This seems to be helping.  It seems to be a strain or stretch of my hip flexor from a partial dislocation of the hip.  I was too loose or relaxing into my squat...
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:47am
Yes that is exactly where the popping is!  That would be on the descent of the squat, yes?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 10:04am
That is correct. 

I've been working on tightening my hams/glutes on the way down and doing some bulgarian split squats (body weight) to try and strengthen the stabilizers.  If you find something that works really well let me know...
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/10 at 2:29am

20MAR10  SAT

Braemar and Open Stone:  Felt better explosion and got further throws than before.  I glide (no spin) and I am staying off the board more often than not since I actually marked out the box to throw in.

HWFD and LWFD:  I am pleased here so far.  The HWFD does not put me to the turf like it has in the past.  Better distance than last season.  Feel more balanced in the sprint to the Trig.  Thanks Youtube and all you guys that post your videos.

Hammer:  I cannot figure how to get more speed on the hammer.  I really think I can get something done with points if I can figure it out.  Any cues here would be great!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/10 at 2:20pm

22MAR10  MON

BW 187.5

Reps of 21-15-9 of 150# clean and press followed by 1.5 one handed KB Swings

Time of 21:24

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/10 at 11:22am

23MAR10  TUES

Was supposed to throw tomorrow but I am late shift and it would be to dark when I get home.  Threw today...

Braemar is what it is.  Open is feeling better with the glide (not faulting at all today).

HWFD and LWFD keep me smiling.  I need to get my weight to my left foot at the launch as opposed to keeping my weight on my (trailing) right foot.

Hammer felt better in the hips.

Caber did not turn.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 5:49am

25MAR10  THU

BW 187.5

HP  165  3x5   (was keeping hands close but moved them out to shoulder width)

PP  150  3x5

SQT  250  3x5  (lowered weight and got really explosive out of the whole.  DM  made comment about working on explosivness in his log and decided to give it a go)

DL  400  1x5  (again explosive from the floor)

BN  220  3x5

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 6:29am

Good work Jason...putting in the time under the iron is vital to success in the sport.  Unless you are just a freak of nature.

Keep working on a speedy break off the floor in your dead lift...it will pay dividends when you get your hands on that first big caber.  Visualize it...picking the thing....running...stopping on a dime when it leaves the shoulder...RIP!!!The Thing

Then it's clobberin' time.

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/10 at 8:31am

How I envision the power needed to destroy the stone, WFD, WOB, the Hammer, sheaf, and the Herald of Galactus himself...the CABER would look like.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/10 at 4:32am
Jason,  Thanks for the post on my log.  Yeah, I've been popping IBU about 3 times per day (600mg).  And I've laid off of squats (other than body weight stuff) for about 2 weeks.  I found a stretch a couple of nights ago that seemed to really target the place where I'm feeling tight.  Laying on Back, One Knee to Chest.  I've started doing this a few times a day, and my pain free ROM has improved noticeably.  The pain that I am having is relatively minor, but makes me feel a little nervous on a deep squat.  I will be squatting light tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Matt Thompson

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/10 at 5:43am

27MAR10  SAT

BW 186.5

Stones:  Using my 18# stone I hit 21-22 Braemar and Open goes 25-27.  Of all the events I would think this would be one of my best but it just lags.  The rock is not heavy and with a good squat out of the launch of the rock it should really go...

WFD:  Heavy hits in the 17-18 range consistently and the Light goes 40-45.  It feels mostly like the weight goes around but I am not really muscling it anywhere.  If I can get that I might hit 50.

Caber:  My pull is late every time.  If I had a camera that took video I'd post it so you guys could see but I don't.  The pick is spot on.  I can run with it forever for what is worth but it ain't a race!

I will work on hammer winds tonight after kids go down and house is clean.

Peace fellas.

Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/10 at 6:27am
Jason--what are you doing??? All this lifting is NOT good for you. You
should stick to pilates and yoga. And Bah to all that practice, you're fine.
This year, try to set the record for the longest caber run. We'll video it and
set it to the Benny Hill music.

Can ya tell I'm getting worried about you?   

Man--great work ethic--its gonna pay off for you this year big time. See ya
on the field, Bro.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/10 at 7:35am
01APR10  THUR

BW 185.5

HP  170  3x5

PP  155  3x5

SQT  220  1x5  Fast reps, 250  1x5 Fast reps,  285 1x5 regular speed

DL 400  1x5  fast, touch and go!  CABER TIME!!!

BN  220  3x5

Practiced HWFD, LWFD, WOB, and Caber in the morning before it got hot.  74* today in Northern Michigan!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/10 at 1:34pm

02APR10

BW 187.5

Practiced Braemar and Open and Light Hammer.  When I get a camera I will post video of the Hammer so you all can tell me what I am not getting.

Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench just for fun while Matt did the WOD.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/10 at 2:37am

06APR10  TUE

Reps of 21-15-9

Clean and Press 155 and Pullups

17min 45sec

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/10 at 3:26am

Lay off the cult fit if you want to be a strength athlete.  Trust me, I own a crossfit gym!!!  Its the best for people wanting to do adventure racing, running, military, etc...  totally counterproductive to building massive strength!!! 

Just my 2c, not meant as an insult of any kind!!!

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/10 at 6:25am

Still doing heavy lifting on Thursday (HP, PP, SQT, DL, BN) but doing explosive movement on Monday (this week it was Tuesday due to working last night on call).

I want that explosion out of the whole for WOB and Caber and thought heavier version of CF would fit the bill.

No offense taken.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/10 at 9:19am

09APR  FRI

BW 187.5

Took a trip back home for a few days and was going to practice WFD and Hammer but the snow shut me down.

Today was nice as I got back to the basement...numbers are pretty static since I started practicing; mostly maintanence for the season (is this what others do?)

HP 170  3x5

PP 155  3x5

SQT  280  3x5

DL  400   1x5

BN  210  3x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/10 at 1:37pm

11APR10  SUN

Stones:  Braemar is basically static.  The glide on the Open is moving up and gaining some distance.

WFD: Using the 42 right now and making some strides here and the 28 is also gaining ground.  Big difference was not starting out to fast on my casting turn.

Caber:  Turned it!!

Hammer:  Grrrr

Sheaf: increased PR by a foot.

WOB:  Using the 42 to get form down before climbing back into the 56; also Woodhaven Games in June I get to use the 42 anyway

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/10 at 1:39am

12APR10  MON

BW 186

HP 175  3x5

PP 150  3x5

DL 410  3x5

BN 215  3x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/10 at 2:10pm

14APR10  WED

Morning before work:

Stone:  Open only.  Glide is feeling good and results are more hit than miss.

WFD:  Throwing the 56 and the 28 at 730 without breakfast I felt sluggish.  Blocking myself out at the trig...

Evening after work:

Caber:  9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 12 o'clock, degrees, 10:30'ish, degrees, 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock.  Finally getting the transition more frequently.

Hammer:  Nothing special here...grrrr

WOB:  Used the 56 today.  Matched my PR on first five throws then beat it by 1-foot on next two!

Called it a day.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:37am

15APR10  Thursday

BW 185

Deadlifts and Box Jumps 24" platform.  Did some pushups with explosion off the floor to touch hands to shoulders.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/10 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Jason Cherry Jason Cherry wrote:

WOB:  Used the 56 today.  Matched my PR on first five throws then beat it by 1-foot on next two!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/10 at 10:48am

18APR10  SUN

Supposed to practice today.  Stomach virus .

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:19am

25APR10  SUN

Time to bite the bullet.  Diet is still lousy...

Stone:  Nope

HWFD:  Nope

LWFD:  Once I got into it I was hitting 42'ish.

Caber:  Turned.

Hammer:  Used my spikes for the first time.  It was different.  No appreciable improvement but I bet it will be a learning curve.

Sheaf:  16'

WOB:  Used the 42 and was hitting 10' but my timing was off.

Even a bad day of throwing is better than no throwing at all.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/10 at 12:23pm

26APR10  MON

Feeling mean today in the gym (basement):

HP 185  3x5

PP  150  3x5

DL  415  3x5 ((correction 1x5 - edit 27APR10))

BN  215  3x5

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/10 at 11:29am

28APR10  WED

Stones:  Did not perform

WFD:  Heavy is over 19 but less than 20...would like to get this 20+ but since last season I only got 9 on the books (faulting usually) this is a good step.  LWFD is around 42'...really think I could hit 45-50 if I can consistently get out in front of it.  Weight is on my back (right) foot at launch and I think it should be on the left.

Caber:  Turned 50% of them.  I think I am getting the hang of the transition.

I will do hammer, sheaf and WOB tomorrow after work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic