Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Northern Thrower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Northern Thrower
    Posted: 2/21/10 at 7:43pm
So, I need to start a log here. I need to start a log so that I'll have some throwers readin my log and saying "Hey! get your ass out and throw some weights".

Currently, I'm a powerlifter that throws. I doubt I'll ever make the progression to thrower that lifts, but I'd like to be a powerlifter that throws decently!

My lifts aren't awesome. In April, I'm shootin for a a 550 squat, 350 bench and 600 dead. They WILL get better, though, so I won't be a va jay jay forever!

As far as throwing goes, I'm pretty much a rookie. Competed for the first time last summer and had a blast. I tied for 3rd, so that was exciting. My favorite events are light hammer, lwfd and open stone.

My schedule currently looks like this:

Sunday: Squat
Monday: Bench/Tricep work
Tuesday: Squat
Wednesday: OHP/Shoulder work
Thursday: Squat
Friday:Speed Bench/Back work

I flip flop between squatting 4x a week focusing on higher volume with moderate weights and 3x a week focusing on higher weights with moderate volume. Benching on mondays is my heavy day and benching on Friday is my speed/extra form day(just started using bands).

When all this damn snow and ice goes away, I'll get back out on the field and start throwin weights around. I'm gonna have to split time between throwing and Rugby, but I can make this work... I'm sure of it...

So, enjoy my not-much-to-do-with-throwing log:)

Edited by C. Smith - 4/18/12 at 12:44am
Professional
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/21/10 at 10:41pm
Danny it's a training log and it can be whatever you want it to be. 

Not sure what a va jay jay is but your numbers look pretty good.

One observation - Not sure how old you are, but that seems like a lot of volume and not much recovery.  Are you currently in the middle of cycle or is this your consistent lifting schedule?
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 12:32am

Originally posted by AlDargie AlDargie wrote:

It is a slang term for a part of the Female anatomy.

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 4:49am
Originally posted by AlDargie AlDargie wrote:

Danny it's a training log and it can be whatever you want it to be. 

One observation - Not sure how old you are, but that seems like a lot of volume and not much recovery.  Are you currently in the middle of cycle or is this your consistent lifting schedule?

I'm 24. You're right, though. It IS quite a bit of volume. I've found that my body(my squats especially) respond well to volume. I'm actually running Smolov for my squats at the moment, so the volume during the base mesocycle was pretty high.

As far as recovery, I'm actually recovering pretty well, even while dieting down. I must be wolverine or something.. lol. I do deload every 4-ish weeks, usually.
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/10 at 5:41pm
STUPID BENCH PRESS

dey see me rollin, dey hatin

Bench Presh
lots of warmups
1x3@225
2x4@305

Was supposed to do 5.. Will repeat thsi week next week.. I failed.

DB Bench
1x10@90
2x8@90

Weaker than last week.. Weak

Modified Extension
1x10@135
1x10@135
*rp*
1x7@135
*rp*
1x5@135
*rp*
1x5@135
*rp*
1x5@135

Overhead Extensions
some with 70 or 75lbs

Pullups!
i did like 35 of them or something.. they were split into 5s, 6s, 3s.. whatever I got without killing myself.. man i suck at pulling up

Wide Grip Seated Row
some with 160 or something

Shrugsss
some with 120
some with 100
some more with 100

Kroc Rows
2x20@100s

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:34pm
SMOLOV INTENSE MESO DAY 5

FOAM

Squats
5x5@135
2x5@225
1x3@335
1x3@385
1x4@435
3x3@460
1x3@485

Umm.. Not hard...

That is all..

High carb day was good after a couple weeks without one. I think my body has been recarbed enough for at least another week of medium and low carb days.

Weight is like 239-242... Losin steady.
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:37pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZHk90bBpU

last set of teh day
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/10 at 5:51pm
OVERHEAD PRESS DAY

Foams

Seated OHP
2x10ish@45
2x10ish@95
1x5@135
1x5@155
1x5@175
5x5@195
1x12@155
*rp*
1x8@155
*rp*
1x6@155
*rp*
1x8@155

Front Raises
1x10@40
1x12@40

Pullups
1x7
1x6
1x5
1x6
1x7

or somethin like that...

Curls w/Fat Grips
some with like 95

Cardio

25minutes of random intervals

Down to 239 today and feelin good!
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/26/10 at 9:26am

Last night's craptastic workout went...

Me: O hai Smolov.

Smolov: Today you will do four sets of 5 with this here moderately heavy weight, 460lbs. I want you to concentrate on staying tight throughout the movement, keeping your knees out and keeping your head up.

Me: Oh yah, that sounds nice. Doesn't sound heavy at all..
I proceed to warm up, going up to a set of 4 with 435 as my last warmup. I then throw on 460 and bust out 5 deep and clean reps.

Me: YEAH! In your face, Fckin Smolov! This is gonna be a breeze! Kinda funny how you thought you were all badass comin in here with your bitch ass work out..

Smolov: Dude, you only put 455 on the bar...

I look at the bar...

Me:... awww

Smolov: For your flagrant stupidity, put 465 on...Idiot.

Me: Really? That doesn't sound too bad..
I throw on the "heavy" clips, which weigh 5lbs each, bringing the bar weight up to 465. I proceed to do my next set and now I feel like I'm trying to squat a brick house. I only manage 4 reps.

Smolov(under his breath): Bitch...

I take my long ass break between sets to refocus myself. There's NO way 10lbs is making that big of a difference. I then get under the bar to attempt to get 5 reps and STILL only get 4, with the last one being a grinder from hell..

Smolov: Lol.. weaksauce.. Now reload to 460 and get 5, pumpkin.

Danny: Fiiine...

So, I reloaded the bar again to 460 and busted out 5 fairly difficult reps...

Smolov: Learn to read, phgt..

So then I went and did 7 pullups.. 

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/10 at 7:47am

Trained Bench vs doubled mini bands last night

2xsome @ bar
4x5@135
3x5@205
1x1@225 Practicing my cheater arch.. Felt good..

Pullups

1x8, 1x7, 1x8, 1x6, 1x5.. or somethin like that

Kroc Rows

2x20@110

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/10 at 6:01pm
swam for a couple hours tonight..
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/10 at 2:27pm
had a pretty shitty squat workout on monday.. only got 1x5 and 4x4@460.. had a pretty shitty bench workout on Tuesday. only got 2x4@305.. took wednesday off and had a decent workout on Thursday when i did 2x3@485 and 1x1@485 pretty easily.. then i took friday off..

all in all, shitty start and good finish to this week.. tomorrow, 5x5@460 again.. umph
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/10 at 2:29pm
Keep it up!
The man in the arena.
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/10 at 11:36am

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, so I'll catch up real quick....

Ended Smolov last night with a bang! Prescribed reps were 3x4@485. I did the first two sets with 485, and then added 10 more pounds for an even 5 plates and killed 4 reps with it. I really shoulda either added 10lbs and gone for another 4 reps or did a few more reps with that weight.. Gonna try for a 560 squat when I test on Thursday...

I've been doing pullups more and more and been getting better at them. I can do at least 12 or 13 as a max, and I can knock off a few sets of 10 pretty easily...

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/10 at 6:04am

Pullups is bad wampum...I have NEVER figured these out.  Maybe I am just too fat...

Can you offer any advice for training these, beyond "just do them" or "get someone to hold your feet?"  No disrespect intended...but those are the answers I get most of the time.

Good work on the squats man...that is quite a bit!

The man in the arena.
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/10 at 10:59am
Well, the way I've been told by many many people is that the key to being able to do pullups is just practicing them. I've been doubtful in the past, because I WOULD do them, but I could never manage to be that good at them. The problem was, I was only doing them once per week. This is definitely not enough.

I started on Feb 22(last month) and decided I was gonna do 30 pullups at least 3 times a week. The 30 were to be accomplished in however many sets it took. If it meant only doing 3 at a time, I did it. In fact, my very first day I did: 6,5,3,3,3,3,3,3,2, or somethin like that. My second workout was a little bit better and I did: 7,6,5,6,7. Most recently I've done:10,10,12 pretty easily.

These weren't all FULL range of motion. I wouldn't go into a dead hang and I didn't pull my head completely over the bar. This was okay with me. I was only caring about DOING them. Now I've decided that, since I can do my full 30, I'm going to be doing full ROM. Friday night I did 3 sets of 5 after my squat workout going from a full hang to pulling my head over the cross bar.

From here on out I'll do as many as I can full hang, then I'll do cheater pullups for the rest of them.

Tips that'll help:

--Keep your body tight while doing these. It's no different than squatting or deadlifting. If the middle of your body is flopping around, you're gonna waste energy. I cross my feet and pull them up a little.
--Chalk your hands or use straps. Your grip shouldn't determine how many you could do.
--Use different grips. Do them wide until they get hard, then bring your grip in to make them easier.
--Cheat the last little bit of the pull later on in the set(kick your legs up or something). Unless you're gonna do a pullup competition, no one cares if you cheat a little bit to help yourself get in more volume.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/10 at 12:28pm

I had never thought of chalking for pullups, thanks. Nice log.

Bill

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/10 at 4:36pm
MEET PREP BENCH DAY WEEK 1 DAY 1

Benchin
2xsome@bar
3x5@135
2x5@185
1x5@205
1x3@225

3x6@285
1x5@285

Pullups
1x6,1x5,1x6,2x5 DEAD HANG FULL ROM
1x6 CHEATER STYLE

Benching felt good. DIdn't have a spot, but I'm sure I would have had at least 7 on sets 2 and 3 and maybe 6 on set 4.
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/10 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by KiltBill KiltBill wrote:

I had never thought of chalking for pullups, thanks. Nice log.

Bill

I'm a chalk monkey.. I've got chalk on my chest, back, hands, arms face.. EVERYWHERE!!!!
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/10 at 6:03pm
i did some ghey arm shit today.. not gonna log
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/10 at 11:47am

big day is tomorrow!

This is the plan:

warmups with 135, 225 and 315.. Triples with 365 and 405. Singles with 495, 545, 555.. 560-565..

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/10 at 4:33pm
Squatted 555 today. I was sick when I woke up and sick when I got to the gym. Ibuprofen and 5hr energy made this happen! I then proceeded to set rep records with 285 on bench(7,7,7,6) and did some pullups.. All of this while only having had 1000 calories for the day and my last meal being 5 hours before I took the heaviest squat of my life..

It was ugly, but I think it woulda counted...

www.youtube.com/dannyautrey will have the vid
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/10 at 7:14am

whoops.. Haven't had much time to use the internet in my personal time, but just wanna update a little.

Had a competition on Apr.10th and did alright. Set meet PRs across the board.

Squat-530, failed 540
Bench-347.5
Deadlift-551, missed a 585 that I should have had

We throw at the end of next month and I haven't practiced yet. I suck.

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/10 at 6:14am

some of my log is missing here, but i'll log last night's throwing practice

THROWING PRACTICE

Stone

Threw about a dozen throws, I think. Most were in the 40-45' range. Very pleased with a few of my better throws and I'm happy with how consistant I was with distances.

Light Weight for distance

This felt very good. I felt MUCH better this week than I did last week. Distances were all well above 40 and had a few into the 50s. I did start goofin up a little towards the end, but I think I know what I need to do to fix it. Best part of the practice was when I lost my grip on the weight and sent it sailing off into the woods beside me.. Rust and dirt/dead leaves/branches are really close to the same color..

Caber

I suck at this. Suck suck suck. I can pick them real easy, I just have a hard time gettin balanced enough to start forward momentum. I tried about 10 times before I got my first turn, but I finally got it. It wasn't a big stick(17'6", 70ish lbs), but I'm glad I turned it.

Weight for height

Didn't do too much work on this. My first one, I sailed it over the bar and about 15' into the woods behind me. oops. Next few throws were better. Threw it over 13'.. way over 13'.. lol.. Too bad it's only the 42 instead of the 56..

Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/11 at 2:25pm
Oh, nasgaweb log, how I have abandoned you! May the powers forgive me!

Actually, reading one of The Powers' log is what made me come back. Craig, I ask you to loosely follow this log, watching my rehab workouts and adding your two cents occasionally.

I'm still a lifter that throws, but now I'm a lifter that throws, whose knee had to have surgery. I had my meniscus repaired last week, and I'm starting my rehab now. I want to be aggressive with this, but obviously don't want to set myself back.

My first day was today:

Surgery performed on 12/9/11. Off crutches and mobile by 12/11/11.
Day 1, 12/16/11:
Stationary bike- 15 minutes
Stretch hamstrings
Seated straight leg raises- 4x15 ea leg
Standing Terminal Knee Extension- 4x15 vs mini band
Notes:
Felt good, today. There is some pain, but I assume that is to be expected one week post op. I did try a squat with an empty barbell down to several inches above parallel. It was too much, I think. I'll wait another week for these

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/11 at 10:59am
Thumbs Up
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/11 at 1:30pm
http://youtu.be/ueO32KjWutI

Edited by C. Smith - 12/18/11 at 10:57pm
Professional
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/11 at 1:32pm
that's a vid of my 365 close grip bench. I'm having major trouble on my phone transferring, so you may have to replace m.youtube with www.youtube. Ill post my actual session later
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/11 at 2:51pm
Actual session went as such:

ME Bench

Warmups and stuff

Close Grip Bench Press

Bent Over Rows

Close Grip Incline Bench

Notes:

I'm kind of proud of this PR, as I couldn't use my typical arch and I couldn't use any leg drive.  I tried once to dig my heels in lightly on my warmup sets, but it wasn't a good feeling.  This is actually only 10lbs less than my 2 week old competition grip PR, which included a pause and good strong arch and leg drive.

I MADE THE WHITE BOARD FOR NOW, HOORAY! Now someone come in and knock this silly lift off the top 5. It doesn't start with a 4, so it shouldn't be on any BEST list...
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/11 at 10:52pm
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic