FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

The Writing on the Wall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Writing on the Wall
    Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:35am

I have been throwing with increasing lower back pain since July 2008. This year it was even worse, and radiating to my hip and leg. I decided it was time for an MRI and here are the results. Even if you don't understand the lingo - it still reads pretty bad.

L-2, L-3 - Mild disc desiccation and relative narrowing with circumferential disc bulging and endplate spurring which is more prominate anteriorly.

At L-3, L-4 - Protrusion or contained disc herniation is seen resulting in acquired canal stenosis with encroachment on the superior aspects of lateral recesses, worse on the right.

L-4, L-5 - Canal stenosis and bilateral recess stenosis, worse on the right related to disc protrusion and contained disc herniation along with advanced degenerative facet arthropathy - mild foraminal stenosis on the right.

So as I thought was probably the case, and barring a miracle, my throwing days are over. Sorry to see it end. Dale, I'll have to wonder what it would have been like to edge you out.

On the positive side, I did get to throw for 6 years and make some really great friends, a few of whom I consider family. Oh yea, I met McBain too.

See ya'll from the sidelines,

Roland

Honorary Chaplain of the "Brotherhood of Michigan Throwers."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:13pm
My MRI is just as bad, as well as my wife's.  Did the doc tell you that you couldn't throw anymore Roland, because honestly that doesn't sound too bad. 

I would bet that if we took a bunch of athletes off the field their MRI's would look similar.

If the doc didn't tell you to stop (although Kara's doc we saw once said she wouldn't be walking without a spinal fusion.  Needless to say, he was wrong), have you looked at any alternatives for treatment?
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/10 at 1:03pm
It really does not sound that bad.  No reason to fall on your sword man. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
DaleGehman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleGehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/10 at 1:41pm

Roland,

I'm no expert, and wouldn't know if you were having back pain or building a radio from that description. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. If it doesn't make things worse, well, I expect to see you at the trig. If it does, well, I expect we'll all make that decision some day. And like Myles and Craig point out, the docs aren't always right.

What I do know is that statistically your chances of having Alzheimers are 50/50 if you live to 85. I'm planning on wearing out before then, no sense leaving the shell with no one home, ya know?

Dale

Partner in JDJ Caber Co. "Proudly serving the Scottish Heavy Athlete with fine cabers for sale. No orders too large or too small."
prevail View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prevail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/10 at 2:35pm
Dont hang you hat up yet.
C.Smith is correct.I work as a medic for a semi pro hockey team. You could also pull many people out of the crowd at a games and they would have similar MRI results. My results were very similar 15 years ago.
Guess we apes are still built to be walking on all fours. If you are in a great deal of pain that either wakes you at night or stops day to day functions then take some time off.Even if you never turn another caber, rest up and rebuild is always a smart thing for life.
LB
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 3:58am

"No reason to fall on your sword man."

+1

The man in the arena.
Sleeping Dragon View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeping Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 4:52am
See you on the field soon Roland.  Not marking....Throwing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLgedB70IQ -John Shingler
CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:04am
Thanks guys. Actually the doctor DID tell me to hang it up. I have lost measurable strength in my left leg (almost did a nose-dive down the stairs a few weeks ago). BUT, I will take the advice and seek alternative treatment. I don't want to fall on my sword - just want to be realistic. My boss's wife is an RN (who thinks I am crazy as it is for throwing), and was a professor of nursing as well as a director of nursing. She knows her stuff and is looking into alternative treatments for me.
I am always open to the suggestions of other throwers (none better than you Craig) who might have had similar experiences. You see, I have this dream of beating Dale one day...

clwoods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:11am
No reason to fall on your sword man."

+2

Don't let the bastards scare you! Outside of the disk protrusion, which can by the way be treated conservatively, there's really not much out of the ordinary there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish the pain you are feeling. Until you've experienced the debilitating affects of back pain you just don't understand...and believe me I understand.

You'll get through this, trust me, it is just going to take a little longer and you're going to have to be smarter about what you do and how you do it from here on out.

Woody
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:29am
The disk herniation can be worked on as long as the thing hasn't been completely mashed beyond recognition.  There's help for that that doesn't involve surgery, though you'll have to ask around. I know a few guys who are still active who had  decompression therapy. Yeah, they spent 6 months leading a  pretty quiet life, but they're both back riding their bicycles, and they both did a 50 mile ride last weekend. It can be done.

The facet degeneration...well, you're stuck with that, I think..  I would look into alternative treatments and try not to go under the knife if you can possibly help it.  You might have to take a season off....and yeah, you MIGHT not be throwing ever again. Maybe.......but maybe not.  I would agree with a lot of guys here, and say "don't give up, yet">
CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:45am
I forgot to mention that in 1996 I was in a head-on collision that left me with central disc herniations at T-5,6 T-6,7 and T-7,8. It took 7 years, but I came back from that - so believe me, I too understand back pain. What concerned me here was the stenosis and arthritic degeneration. These are both progressive. Thanks again guys!
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:58am

Roland,

It's been my pleasure throwing with you this last little bit.  Thanks for all your help and support--but PLEASE learn some new jokes!

Whatever you decide--I'm with ya.  If I'm not throwing with you--I'll miss it, but I know you will probably jump right in to judging etc.  Personally, I hope you can stay and throw some more--but I know what it's like at our age to keep throwing while your body fights back.

Hang in there brother!

Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:01pm

That is why I would only have an MRI of my back if I had a shrinking leg or I was unable to stand. Back pain comes with our territory as strength athletes. Strengthening the core muscles and low back as much as possible is the way I will stay in the game as long as possible. This means too much to me personally to give up but every man has a price they will pay.

"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:11pm
I have bulges, herniations, scoliosis and the thing Craig has where the bones don't line up anymore.  I was operated on a year ago for a nerve being pinched off by a bone they cut off.  So what.  Go forward, and don't look back.  The heart doctor tried that crap about not doing anything and I challenged him to race me down the hall.  True story.  The guy started some sob story about his knee and I showed him the scar from the torn quad a year ago and told him to spare me the sob story, let's race.  Moral of the story is, I am in the gym and am already on the field throwing.  Tell the doc his job is to fix you, anybody knows that if you sit down and do nothing it feels better.  I did iron work with a guy with a 6th grade education that knew that.  Come on.  Show me the science. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:38pm
I have an L5-S1 herniation with numbness in right foot. Docs said I
would never throw again. Really worked on strentghening my core
after talking with Stuart Macgill and reading his books on back injuries.
Watched a YouTube video of the Backbubble and made something
similar, that has really helped my back. Use it twice a day when
training heavy. The key is lots of core muscles and decompression.
70theelder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70theelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/10 at 5:34am
I have dealt with low back pain on an off since college.  Yes for you guys who know me that was a helluva long time ago.  I acyually worked for about 8 years doing low back and neck rehab in the 90's.  If you can find a Med-x lumbar extension machine it is the answer to most LBP problems.  I hurt my back so severely in 2006 that i lost size and strength in my right quad.  I could not do 40 pounds on a leg extension machine.  I walked with a limp for a couple months.  Everybody said I needed to get an MRI, I refused because all the Dr.s would have said then was "Your back is screwed up now give me lots of your money."  So, I rehabed my bac on the Med-x machine and did the low back work with jump stretch bands that can be found on Youtube.  I got better.  The website medxonline.com has a facility locator.  I promise this is the answer to LBP.
Three sets of twenty ought to make you feel strong.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/10 at 10:22am

+ 1 Mike!

I train people everyday on med x equipment.

Doesn't cure anything , but it sure keeps you strong enough to push off "back attacks"

Combined w. a rotary( IF you are healthy enough ) and done at a snails pace with NO fast movements , it has put many of my clients back in the game 

Baby steps w. the back people - eaase your way into anything.

51 , 72 and 15 at 50
CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/10 at 3:20pm

Thanks for all of the advice/encouragement. I will put them to good use, and hopefully climb back into the saddle -if not this year then maybe next. We'll see. Thanks again.

Roland

The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/10 at 3:35pm
i could sit here and listen to mule train talk shop all bloody nite long!!!!  [dont fall on your sword! classic] luv ya myles!
please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
LanceKeen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LanceKeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:12pm

So many good points made above, but I'll add my small ha'penny's worth.

That scan reads through fine - I would not be concerned overly about it. Not knowing how old you are, makes an accurate comment a little hard, but as many others said - they would have similar scan results.

Scans show you problems, but they don't always correlate to your symptoms. You say left hip and thigh are worse, but your scan says that the major issues it sees are on the right! Proof if any more were needed than the cure does not require the scan. Planning surgery requires a scan and they fix what they see - all well and good if it explains your symptoms.

So if you wish to add my medically qualified opinion to the above: keep going. Find a way to sort it out and keep going. Unless you want to stop - but if that's what you wanted you wouldn't have posted it here, would you?

So the writing on the wall seems clear to read now!

CaberKing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaberKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by LanceKeen LanceKeen wrote:

So the writing on the wall seems clear to read now!

Ak thrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/10 at 3:27pm

You cant give up yet my friend ,,,  you still have one other guy to meet on the field !!!

Take care of that back ! See ya soon , I hope

Remember when mom told us never throw stones ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic