Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: S. BAKER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 83>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/10 at 12:23am

Shawn,

Overheads with a 42lb stone are hardcore.  I would be curious to see what you can do with a 16# shot as well as a heavy Braemar stone or 28# weight (without the chain and handle).

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/10 at 8:39am
Pete- I will try to add a few of these within the next couple of weeks
(may have to use 16lb stone instead of shot put if that's OK)
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/10 at 9:30am

Shawn,

Do whatever you can/want!  I just like the shot because it's easier to compare results. 

Just FYI - basic, unturned iron shots are very inexpensive and quite widely available.

Good luck,

Peter

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/10 at 1:39pm

7/12

Went to local Caber store and picked up nice 20 ft x 140lb ish nice looking pole (did a few picks and turn attempts with various others- including breaking one before settling) the owners thought it was great and want to use it on there web site as a novel use for their forestry products-

Gym later that day

push press up to 250 x 5 singles

hip snatch up 195 x 5 singles (ugly)

barbell cheat curls up to 245 x single then 135 x 25reps (in squat rack I'm afraid)

neck harness extensions 75 lbs x 25 reps 3 sets

20 yards sprints with 50 lb weight vest x 10

plan to throw A class in Flagstaff on Saturday so not much more heavy/hard stuff the rest of the week

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/10 at 3:02pm

7/13

low/medium intensity throwing day focusing on postions

warm up withg 42lb stone overhead throw x 3 best 22 ft

then 16 lb shot put overhead x 4-5 off dirt (not trig) 48-49 ft- think I can get a few more feet with some practice with these

open stone spin with 8lb x 5, then 15lb stone x 5

28lb LWFD- foot work- gentle release (no pull)

16 lb light hammer (no spikes) x 8

finished fiberglass casting new caber (used 60 rolls of fiberglass cast material)

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/10 at 1:37am

Shawn,

Nice work on the overheads. When you move to a trig and
get comfortable throwing off it, you will definitely add
some distance to your throws, over and above any basic
technical improvements. Overheads are interesting
because while they are a relatively simple movement,
timing and the angle of release make a huge difference in
one's distances.

Make sure you are not pulling down with your arms at the
point of release and try to achieve a full triple
extension at about 45 degrees with your entire body. The
best throws are usually achieved when you are almost out
of control. Also, make sure there is no hesitation at
all at the bottom of the movement. Obviously, the key is
speed and explosiveness. As a very tall, strong guy you
should really be able to do well on these with some
practice.

One thing you might want to experiment with is
alternating doing overheads with a relatively heavy stone
(say 25-28 lbs.) and a 16lb. shot and see what effect
that has. The big stone you are using is good for
developing specific strength, but I would look at
incorporating something a bit smaller as well.

Good luck!

Peter.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/10 at 4:47pm

7/14

30 minutes of just some foot work drills

games on Saturday

Peter- do you feel the overhead shot throwing to be beneficial as a training tool or only as a testing gauge of explosiveness (I like it as a warm-up drill)

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Shawn Baker Shawn Baker wrote:

Peter- do you feel the overhead shot throwing to be beneficial as a training tool or only as a testing gauge of explosiveness (I like it as a warm-up drill)

Overheads are an excellent warm-up drill, a key test of explosiveness, and an excellent training tool for developing basic throwing power and explosiveness, and even some dynamic hip and shoulder mobility. 

Look at it this way: as an exercise, what is closer than this to throwing (except for standing throws of some of the events)? In fact, this IS a form of throwing, so the carryover is going to be very high.  It could be thought of as the final stage in the continuum of deadlifts, high pulls, power cleans, power snatches, close-grip power snatches, snatches with release overhead, and overhead shot/stone tosses.  Actually, I guess the WOB would more accurately fit into that slot, but you get the idea.  The difference, of course, is the the WOB is done for height while overheads are done for distance, exactly analogous to vertical jumps vs. standing long jumps.  The other difference is that it is usually easier and more convenient to measure an overhead toss than a WOB toss.

Keep in mind that shots of different weights will likely correlate more or less to different events - 16# shots to stone, hammer, etc. and heavier shots and stones with the heavier events. In addition, one might use heavier or lighter shots depending on exactly what attribute one is attempting to improve during a workout - lighter (12#-16#) shots for speed/pure explosiveness vs. heavier shots for "special strength".

Now, normally one would also be actually throwing a lot too vs. what I have been doing recently, but that is a different conversation.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/10 at 4:18pm

7/17

Flagstaff Highland Games (A Class)

had ok games with heavy stuff but not so good with lighter implements (was fortunate to have Pro Andrew Hobson doing some practice throwing with our class so I got a bunch of great feedback on things I need to fix-hopefully before worlds)

BS- 31'4 with 24.5lb stone- 2nd place

OS- 39+ with first throw Braemar style- then 2 spinning attempts that did not go as far (I feel I have quite a bit of potential with this so will keep plugging away)- 3rd or 4th Place

HWD 32+ on extras- first place

LWD- 63+- first place (apparently not getting left foot down at all on my WFD)

HH- off slippery dirt baseball field- no spikes 80+ - 1st place

LH 93+ 3rd or 4th (not a good throw at all- have a lot of work to do here

WOB (highlight of games for me) 14'6" standing (PR) and super close with 15ft (had one roll over bar but knock it down) this wil happen soon- 1st place

Caber- 12:OO -only one to get a turn (besides Andrew Hobson- of course) 1st place

overall first place

back to training on Monday (will figure out what doesn't hurt and go from there)

Next 2 comps- Master's Worlds then Pleasanton

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/10 at 4:26pm
Sounds like a fair day to me!  Good work!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/19/10 at 3:40pm

Can't Resist The Peer Pressure

7/18- Helped out with measuring for Sunday's games and was talked into playing with some cabers with my favorite nemesis Brent Abbott- turned A caber from yesterday then took about three cracks at 20 ft "pro" caber and got a turn on it (maybe 10 o'clock)

7/19- Workout (supposed to be easy day- sore from competing etc..)-youngster from gym (27) new to highland games wanted to workout with me so....

Nieder (sp?) presses up to 135 5 set of 5

Core crushers with barbell and 45lb plate 3 sets of 20 reps (10 each way)

hip snatches up to 185x1 then 135 5 sets of 2

caber pulls with 100lb dumbell 3 sets of 3

20 yard "sprints" with 135lb barbell on back followed by 20 yard return with 135lb barbell jumps- x 3 sets

split jumps with 135 x 3 sets 20 reps

no AC in gym- Phoenix is hot in July- big time sweat going

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/10 at 3:47pm

7/20

Light Hammer winds x 100 while wearing hinged elbow brace on L arm to prevent elbow flexing past about 20 degrees- forces me to stay long- plan on getting 1000 of these in prior to MWC next month.

Braemer stone 22lb x 10 all about 32 ft (no real pop today-pretty tired overall- just working on trying to get hips through and release high 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/10 at 2:41pm

7/21

Abs sore from hammer winds yesterday (I think this is a good thing-maybe finally doing them right)

push press- 225lb x 5 doubles

high box touch and go squats up to 585lbs 5 set of 2, each set immediately followed by 2 explosive tuck jumps

speed deadlifts- 315 + 200lb bands 5 sets of 2, with 2 tuck jumps after each set

300 jump ropes

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 2:29pm

7/22

100 LH winds once again using brace to force me to stay long (200 down 800 to go)

overhead 16lb shot throws about 6 of these 48-50ft

open stone south africans- 10lb x 10, 13lb x6, 15 lb x 5 all relatively slow trying to hit appropriate postitions (I think)

16lb sheaf about 10 of these- guessing about 26ft ish (height standard only go to 20ft)

tommorrow will rest as I have gone essentially 6 days in a row

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/25/10 at 1:49pm

7/25

venue- beatiful Gallup, New Mexico- the very heart of Navajo country (out here for a week doing some work on the side)

found some of the only grass in the county for some light hammer winds (100 with elbow brace then 10 actual throws -sans brace, all 100-105)- don't think anyone has ever thrown the hammer in this town before - so got some inquisitive stares- sacrificed a littlle skin and blood to the hammer gods on last throw

then some 28 wfd-working on getting both feet down= did about 5 first turns, then 2 turns followed by about 5 2 spin throws maybe 60 ft (not really feeling the weight)

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:45pm

7/26- Gallup NM 

one of the local high school coaches was gracious enough to let me train at his home gym (he and about a dozen of the local powerlifters train at his house)- nice facility- olympic platform with nice bars and some bumpers- nice huge squat cage, hip belt squat set up and heavy duty reverse hyper machine

push press up to 258 6 singles (5 makes and 1 miss-lost focus on that one)

hip snatches (got a little PR on this) 212

then 165 x 5 triples

couldn't resist the reverse hyper machine 3 sets of 10 with 250lbs

had a little steak and sushi dinner to celebrate the PR

I think strength levels are roughly back to where they were in April when I threw with Gene Flynn and Mike Baab in San Antonio

Just need to really focus on drilling throws and improving technique, hitting correct positions etc..

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/10 at 11:15pm

Shawn,

I am just curious how deep you are catching your hip snatches?  Nice work and congrats on the PR.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/10 at 2:20pm

7/27

Gallup NM

Monsoon season has arrived!!!

200 hammer winds in the elbow brace in the rain-had planned on working stones tonight but just too darn muddy (at least I am half way to my goal of 1000 hammer winds before MWC)

Peter to answer your hip snatch question in a round about way- my athletic background has unfortunately never included much in the way of olympic lifting

started out lifting in 1981 as a skinny 6'1 140 14 y/o reading the Joe Weider body building crap and trying to get big arms etc..

at age 19/20 trained at a gym in Texas that was frequented by a Mr. Bill Starr- did not pick up any olympic lifting but started squatting and deadlifting (pulled 455 first time I tried it)

after college in my 20's began playing rugby(while in medical school) and quicky got pretty good at it (selected to all Texas and Western US teams) - eventually dropped out of med school to play semi-profesionally in New Zealand)

Retired from rugby at age thirty (was tired of getting my head kicked in on a weekly basis) and went back to med school- throughout my med school and orthopedic surgical training (9 years) I continued to lift and compete in powerlifting despite long hours (100-120 hour weeks)- did mostly USAPL/NASA meets- decent deadlift 772, poor bench 400lbs and ok squat 640- also did a couple years of strongman stuff in late thirties  

At age 41 (2 years ago) my physician's assistant strolls into work wearing a kilt- a few weeks later I attend/throw in my first highland games- have focused on becoming as explosive as possible since that time- have been doing hip snatches for about 4-6 months now and really enjoy the movement 

I would estimate that I catch the hip snatches in about a quarter squat position (although my feet often end up getting wide on the heavy snatches- I am trying to avoid this as I understand it is not ideal)- I think I would kill myself or some poor bystander if I attemped to catch a snatch in a full squat position

sorry for the long winded bio stuff- Peter, as always thanks for the input

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Shawn Baker Shawn Baker wrote:

eventually dropped out of med school to play semi-profesionally in New Zealand)

Wow, you don't hear that every day!  Very impressive resume overall.  I am sure you had lots to chat about with Ed Cosner at San Antonio. 

One suggestion for the hip snatches is to either do them light enough to catch them in a quarter squat without too much shifting of the feet, or to do them to a split, just like you would use for a clean & jerk.  This is a much safer, stronger, and more sport-specific method than you are currently using.  You can decide whether to consistantly lead with your blocking leg (which is more sport specific for a couple of reasons) or alternate your lead leg on each rep (which is a more balanced approach).  Let me know if you have any questions.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:54pm

7/28

Gallup NM-coach Williams' home gym

back tired from a bunch of hammer winds yesterday

bench press  warm-up to 300lbs for single then 160lbs x 5 explosive triples

ATG no belt Front squats -bunch of singles culminating in a new PR!!!

unfortunately it was only 319lb (quite honestly don't do fronts very often-but progress is progress)

did some jerks out of the rack with fairly light weight (145lb) 5 doubles -adding the split (new to me) to the exercise-Left leg forward (sports specific as per Mr. Ingleton)

Peter- dropping out of med school when I was 23 to play rugby was a tough decision (probably cost me a whole bunch of green stuff)- but I don't regret the decision at all! 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/10 at 3:16pm

8/1-- 7 hour drive from Albuquerque to Phoenix followed by-

100 LH winds using elbow brace and spikes (also put on gloves-wife gripes at me when I tear my hands up-something about using hands for a living blah blah blah)

I'm 600 winds into my goal of 1000 and starting to maybe feel some rythm and am staying long with noticeable improvement in hammer head speed- plan on maybe releasing closer to 9 O'clock (per Dave Brown hammer tutorial) in order to maintain long arm release- I'll try this for a while and then progress closer to 10/11 O'clock as ability to stay with it improves (comments are welcome if this sounds crazy/unproductive)

Weights tommorrow- will shut down heavy lifting/throwing after about Wednesday/Thursday this week to start to rest up for MWC

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/10 at 3:22pm

8/2

-jerks up to 225 x 3 doubles (using split- not real comfortable with this yet) then push press 225 x 5 reps

hip snatch with split up to 200lbs x1 (again still learning split)

clean grip snatches 135 5 triples (I like the longer pull with these)

1 armed barbell snatch with 135 x 1 (because it was laying on the ground looking at me)

barbell curls 135 x 15 reps

20yd sprints with 50lb weight vest x 10 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/10 at 5:04pm

8/3

WOB with 80lb KB 10 ft x3, then 10' 6" x 6 (made 3/6)

sheaf 22lb x 6 over 20ft bar

Braemar with 42lb stone x 5 20-21 ft, then with 22lb stone x8 (33-34ft) -working on high release and loading up on right leg

Brontosaurus caber (20ft x 150lb)  attempts x 4 (35-45 degrees)- got decent picks but couldn't get goood hand position (may need to taper down handle a little more)-this is going to take a while/forever to get this one turned

light hammer winds x 40 with 10 throws 90-95ft (trying to use spikes off hard dirt- placed metal bar in ground to stick blades under but still not very good purchase) - 60 heavy hammer winds

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/10 at 6:28pm

8/4

incline bench to 295lb (miss) then 135 x 5 explosive doubles

squat up to 405lb for easy single

high pulls 315 for 3 triples

deadlift up to 495 for easy single

jump rope 300 reps

light hammer winds x50

heavy hammer winds x 50 

AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/10 at 10:23am
Nice work, your volume would kill me.  Someone has their eye on the ring for the 40-44 class at MWC.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/10 at 3:02pm

8/5

Phoenix -112 degrees (had to put stones and weights in bucket of water to cool them of prior to throwing)

overhead throws(off dirt) with 42lb stone x 3 (22-24'6") then with 16lb shot x 3 (47-49ft)

15lb stone Braemar x 3 37-38 ft, then abuot 10 South African spins all about 39-41ft

80lb KB 1 spin for distance x 3 19 ft

42 WFD 2 spins x 5 38-40 ft (not particularly pleased but I have been focusing less on the WFD recently and am a bit tired)

28 WFD 2 spins x 5 55-57 ft (same thing as above)

Sheaf 16lb -first time with 3 prong fork x 5 26-30ft (estimated as bar stops at 20ft)

100 LH winds fairly slowish but feeling rythm (finished 900/1000) -will get last 100 early next week  

Al- would definitely like to have decent showing at MWC ( as I'm sure everyone else who's going does)

Volume in gym is only 2 days per week- but I feel I need a lot of reps with the throws as I still have a long way to go regarding the techniques- I don't like the fact that I usually go 4 days in a row but due to family/work situation, It's what I have to do

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/09/10 at 3:13pm

8/9

Last week prior to MWC

did a few 50% lifts to just "keep the engine runing"

Jerks with split 135lbs 5 sets of 2

Jump squats 135lbs  5 sets of 2

clean grip snatches 95lbs 5 sets of 2

10 x 20yd "sprints" only going maybe 60-70% speed

100 LH winds (finished my 1000 winds)- have to say they feel more rythmic and I feel as though I am staying longer- have not really thrown much without  being tired/poor footing since beginning the winds- hopefully I will see some return on the effort at MWC when I  get to "unleash hell" to quote ol' General Maximus of Gladiator fame

tommorrow some very easy LWFD and open stone just to drill foot work and position

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/10 at 3:58pm

8/10

open stone South Africans with 8lb stone x 10

LWFD 2 spins x 5

rest up and get ready for Saturday

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/10 at 11:03am

8/14 MWC

Was very fortunate to win 40-44 class a MWC

I was not particularly pleased with most of my throws with one fairly big exception

Hammers (despite a lot of recent effort) did not go as I would have liked)- HH 82, LH 100 - good for 4th place in each event- (winds were decent I felt but release was poor- Gene Flynn gave me some tips to work on)

LWFD - 68ft about what I expected to do- 1st place

HWFD 43 ft- very flat throws about 3-5 ft below what I felt I was good for- 3rd place

Braemar stone 23lb-- 31 ft again flat throw 3rd place (I really feel 34-35ft is very realistic) 3rd place

Open stone (ugh 37ft) again 42-43 feet should be doable if I could do it right- 2nd or 3rd place

sheaf (16lb)- a very unexpected PR (and new World record to boot) 34ft 3in (cleared by about a foot)- all thanks to Thom Van Vleck who showed me what I was doing wrong and whammo 5ft improvement- 1st place

Caber 12:45 2nd place- had a lot more trouble with caber than I thought I would

WOB 17'6- very close with 18ft but end of long 9 event day- 1st place

Pleasanton in 3 weeks where competition just gets harder- will redouble efforts in hammer and stones and try to make that leap (I may need to get some professional help at some point here)

Back to gym on Monday 

ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/10 at 12:41pm
Congrats..on the win..well done.
crum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 83>
  Share Topic