FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: S. BAKER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 83>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/15 at 11:04pm
Not in the mood for anything serious- getting crushed at work (leaving for 2 week vacation in Europe on Thursday so trying to get a bunch done before I go)

Did some low rate work tonight

First up some 1 min rate 20 pieces- DF was max with cover off (290 ish)

These were fairly "OK" ish- nothing too great

Saw the other day someone was attempting to row 500m in under 2minutes using only 20 strokes (so basically rate 10)

I did 3 attempts (set monitor for a 2 minute row and tried to get 500 m in under 2:00 with 10 SPM

1st attempt DF 290- only got 431m
2nd attempt DF 199- 488m
Third Attempt below-DF 161

Finished with 20 min on incline trainer- max incline 25%, HR peaked at 178
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:16pm
Just musing about how much faster can I get at 48- training about as hard as I think I can given the constraints of family life and work- just have to keep plugging away I guess and stay injury free- right now pretty healthy no real issues- upcoming vacation will definitely set me back a bit but c'est la vie!

Airdyne x 5 min wu

Row sub 1:15 as long as possible x 2

Both about 42-43 seconds- not what I was hoping for

Hi box squats- no belt - 450lb 4 sets of 10 reps, 475lbs x 10 reps

Hanging leg raises 20,15,10,10,10,10

My daughters joined in and did some ring pullups

Emmie 7, managed total of 50 strict ones 10,9,8,7,6,5,5 (fairly easy for her)
Nylah 5 did 2,3,4,5,5,5 (I helped her for all of these just a little bit)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:15pm
Just before going to airport this am

20 min on incline trainer- max incline 25%- HR peak only 164

50 2hand KB swings with 36k KB

20 hanging leg raises

20 ring pushups

Fly to LA today and Paris tomorrow- then drive up to Belgium
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/15 at 1:08am
First morning in "La Panne" just across the French border in Belgium- girlfriend's family rented a nice little beach appartment

Up at dawn for some beach sprints

10 x body weight squats/50m sprint x 14 reps

20 body weight squat , 250m sprint-

Legs were pumped

Will try to do something similar each morning (maybe)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 1:20am
Another sunrise set of sprints and bodyweight squats at the beach

10 squats/50 m sprint x 15

20 squats/250m sprint- breathing hard at the end- maybe go visit Bruges today
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 1:53am
No way sprinting today- legs too sore

EMOM (every minute on minute)

Pushups 10 reps x 4, 5 reps x 6 (wow I'm weak)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 3:39am
Making due with what I have (a nice beach)

Bodyweight squats x 10/50 m sprints x 17 sets

Squats x 20, 250 m sprint
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/15 at 2:54am

Above photo- view from appartment along Belgian coast

Am

2 mile walk along beach

On balcony

EMOM- body weight squats x 10- 20 sets

EMOM- pushups x 5 - 10 sets

50 bodyweight squats

25 push-ups

Visited Bruges yesterday- simply magnificent
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:00pm
Ok, 2 weeks in Europe- 1 week in Belgium, followed by another in the Southwest part of France

Some observations- everything is a lot smaller (and for a relatively big guy it was sometimes a challenge)- cars way smaller, road smaller, bathrooms smaller, showers were way smaller (couldn't stand up all the way in a few of them)- biggest negative was the number of people that smoke (especially sad to see quite a few young people smoking)- toll roads in France- felt like I was getting robbed- next time TGV (train) all the way

I found the people to be very nice and generally pretty happy- and they seemed to tolerate my French fairly well- but I was always disappointed when I spoke to them in French the responded in English (could it be possible I have an accent :-)

The historic sites and cities were spectacular- really enjoyed Bruges in Belgiam and the area around Sarlat in the Aquitane region of southwest France-definitely found some great food - enjoyed the cassoulet, foie gras and some bread and a few choice desserts (had to drop low carb diet for much of trip- on vacation!!

Really enjoyed Pays Basque along Spanish border with France especially coastal towns of Biarritz and St Jean De Luz- in fact might consider a second/retirement home in the region- GF really wants to buy herself a place back home (in France to get back to her roots and be closer to family)- I'm pretty flexible but still have to stay in New Mexico until my youngest is out of school - so likely not going anywhere (other than on vacation) for the next decade or so- still if we find something we love, might buy and use it as an investment/rental place for several years)

Ok, did some sprints and body weight stuff early on in the trip but did (other than a ton of walking) nothing strenuous- low carb diet was largely absent while on vacation but didn't get too silly- hard to get away from the French bead though

Got back yesterday and am currently in California

GF changed gyms (to continue to work with her trainer) and therefore I changed my gym out here too- good news is the have 1 decent model E rower (DF maxed at 194, so a little bit dirty)

First workout back just did some moderate level intervals

Row 2k warmup

8x 30 sec with 1 min rest between- target was 1:30 at 30 spm- finished 1:29.7 @ 29 spm
Next easy 1k row
Then
4 x30 sec 1:15sec rest target was 1:25 at 35 spm- finished 1:24.5 at 24 spm
500 m easy row
Then 2x 30sec 1:30 rest target was 1:20 at 40 spm- finished 1:20.0 at 39spm
So nothing too bad, I can tell I've lost some but not totally awful- I'm sure it will take me a bit to reacclimate to the altitude again and another 2-3 weeks to get back to where I was and the hopefully by end of September be back in shape for some more PR attempts
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 10:49pm
Back home to the high altitude

plane got in around midnght last night , got to bed around 1 am, couldn't sleep up at 5 am for some am exercise

36K KB swings x 25 reps

10 min incline trainer- max incline 30% (hard)- HR peak 177

KB swings x 25

8 min on incline trainer- max incline 25%- HR peak 178

KB swings x 25

6 min on incline trainer- max incline 20%- HR peak 172

HR was definitely high- 1st rep was tough with a 30% incline (not holding on hand supports) - enjoyable!!
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 8:42am
Would love to have seen what a gym in France or Belgium looks like.  Long drive
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 5:21pm
Ok, back to it- time to start moving intensity back up

Had decent night of sleep last night- got kids to sleep and I collapsed around 10pm and slept till 5 ish- easy day in OR - 2 knee replacements and 4 other relatively minor surgeries- home by 3ish so snuck a fast one in before kids got home from school

Airdyne bike x 5 min w/u

Hi box squats (around 3" above parallel)- no belt

Sets up 10 reps with 400lbs, 425, 450, 475, 500- all of them felt solid

Airdyne x sec max effort sprints x 10 secs with 1:50 rest x 5 reps all were 10 or 11 calories - definitely all out work

Treadmill x 8 minutes max incline 25%, Hr peaked 174- hard work

Overall fairly happy with the work

Myles, me as well- I'll try and check one out in February if I can
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/15 at 9:29pm
early am fasted

just time for a very quick one before work

10 min and 10 sec on incline treadmill- max incline 30%, HR peaked 176 ( just went 10 seconds longer than last time- last 70 sec at the 30% slope- hard)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/15 at 10:38pm
Evening- just some easy upper body body building fluff

Bench press 100lbs x 40, 30, 20, 10

Shoulder lateral raises with 20lb dumbells 25, 25

Hammer curls with 60 lb dumbells 50 reps (25 each arm alternating)

Hanging leg raises x 25 reps

That's all folks!

Milk shake recipe

4 eggs
8oz butter melted
1 cup heavy cream
2 Table spoons MCT oil
1 Table spoon Vanilla extract
1 scoop whey protein
1/2 cup "Swerve" (erythritol) or stevia (use less)
1 cup ice

Blend- = good tasting hi fat stuff
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/15 at 7:33pm
5 min Airdyne warmup

1k row wu

Then some 250m intervals with progressively longer rests- 2,3,4 minutes

I mistakenly was thinking 1:17.5 for the Avg but this one was plenty painful- just not quite reacclimated to the altitude and still need to get fitness back from vacation break

1 k row cool down (nearly had to HD during the cool down as I was still pretty wrecked from the intervals

Finished with just an easy-ish 30 minutes on incline treadmill - max incline 20%, HR peaked only 159

Deadlifts tomorrow :-D
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/15 at 9:12pm
I am thinking you may be the strongest doc....ever...  :-)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/15 at 10:07pm
Deadlifts 405lbs (no belt, Oly shoes) EMOM x 30

Brian, once upon a time when I was "strong" I might have been one of the strongest- these days I'm probably among the "strongest for my age"- I practice what I preach to my patients- hope you are recovering well and your trap muscle comes back
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/15 at 4:19am
Oh you are definitely in the strongest for your age category lol.
And thanks, it's appreciated
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/15 at 8:53am
Am fasted

3 x 8 min on incline treadmill

Max incline 25%, HR peaks 162, 169, 171

Hopefully something else later today if I have time
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/15 at 9:53pm
Repeated same workout that I did a few days ago

5 min Airdyne wu

Row 1k wu

Repeated 250m intervals x 4 on 2,3,4 minutes rest- target was to beat previous average (1:19.7)- dropped DF down by about 40 for this one compared to last time

Overall avg was exactly the same but each rep was almost identical (so better paced, but still fairly painful) -every time I try and lower DF it is always harder for me to get a lower split - had to rate 39 for these (as opposed to about 36 for the same result at a higher DF- maybe it's the altitude?

Anyway 1k cool down

Then easy 30 minutes on incline treadmill - max incline 20%, HR peak at just 162
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 6:32pm
Airdyne wu x 5 minutes

Hi box squats (24"- which for me at 6'5" is about 3" above parallel)- target was 5 sets of 5 at 500lbs (no belt)- did first set (was tough- back is definitely not fully recovered from deadlifts on Saturday) did second set and just did 3 reps and decided to scale back to avoid any potential for injury- went down to 405lbs and just did a set of 20 reps- easy, but legs fairly pumped

Right afterwards did 10 x 50 meter sprints, followed by 50 Bodyweight squats

8 minutes on incline trainer- max incline 25%, HR peaked at 178

Finished with easy 1000m row
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/15 at 11:07pm
Row 1k rate 20 (DF 154) just below 2:00 pace

Incline treadmill x 8 min - max incline 25%, HR peak 170

Row 1 k- same as above

Treadmill x 8 min same but HR peak 177

Row 1 k same

Treadmill same 8 min HR peak 179
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/15 at 6:16pm
early am fasted

15 min row/15 on incline treadmill

Nice and easy
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 5:21pm
Am fasted

20 min row, 20 min incline trainer
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/15 at 10:30pm
Load 200lb med ball to 60" box -2 reps EMOM x 25 mins= 50 reps total

Hanging leg raises 10 x10 reps

Surprisingly easier than I thought with med ball
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/15 at 8:57pm
Row 1k easy wu

4x 250 m on increasing rests 2,3,4 minutes

Target was 1:19.5 (last 2 times were 1:19.7)

Better and easier this time- I'm thinking this is fairly close to where my 500 time is at the moment- so a few more weeks of work still needed before another attempt at 500m PR

Row easy 1k

Incline treadmill x 20 min - max incline 20%, HR peaked at 156
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 11:58am
Life stuff- significant changes at the moment

Got on erg and attempted several different workouts CTC, 4 min row, 30 min rate 20- stopped them all after about 2 minutes- heart wasn't in it

Did easy 20 minutes on the treadmill

Maybe some lifting tonight
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 10:40pm
Hi box squats- 315lbs x 20 reps x 5 sets

Bench press 95lbs x 20 reps x 5 sets

25 hanging leg raises

20 minutes on incline treadmill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/15 at 9:48pm
Am - easy 30 min on incline trainer

Pm

Airdyne x 5 min wu

Jump rope x 100

Light hang power snatches with just 95lbs 10 sets of 3 (just focusing on being quick)

Outside for 10 x 50m sprints

8 min on incline trainer - max incline 25%, HR peak 179

1k easy row cool down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/15 at 11:24pm
Am fasted

Row 15 min rate 20 strapless 1:54.8

5 min treadmill sprints- max incline 6%, HR peak 177

4 min strapless row rate 23, 1:48.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 83>
  Share Topic