FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: S. BAKER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/17 at 2:52pm
Not bad Henry!!

Training today

1k row wu

Jump rope x 100

30lb med ball snatch throws 10 sets of 3

Hang power snatches 135lbs 10 sets of 3

Vertical chest press to heavy triples 3x3

Cable flys heavy-ish sets of 5

32.5 lb dumbell lateral raises x 20 reps

75lb dumbell hammer curls x 1 sets of 20 reps each arm

Went to barbeque joint acrross from gym and crushed 1lb of brisket and 1/2lb of sausage to go with the 1.25lbs of ribeye I had for breakfast
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:44pm
Very easy one today

Row 1k wu

Jump rope x 100

BTN jerks 225lbs x 10 singles

12" step ups to 315lbs 5 reps per leg

Machine leg e tensions (first time in about 25 years)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:26pm
Forgot to list yesterday's stuff

Basically a bunch of upper body bodybuilding stuff so nothing to notable

Today

Row 1k wu

Jump rope x 100

Snatch grip high pulls off low blocks at 225lbs 10 sets of doubles- bar to clavicles with good triple extension

Low pulley rows- entire weight stack 5x5

Lateral shoulder raises 30lb dumbell x 20 reps

80lb dumbell hammer curls x 20 reps each arm alternating

Conditioning- 80lb KB alternating one armed swings x 20 reps/20lb med ball overhead to ground slams x 20 reps/100 jump ropes- repeat for 3 rounds total on about 3 minutes rest

Fairly decent overall today
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:38pm

Today a whole lotta med ball work

Row 1k wu

Jump rope x 100

Every single rep of every single set was done with as much power as my body could deliver

30lb med ball push press releases 10 sets of 3

30 lb med ball ground to air in snatch motion 10 sets of 3

20lb med ball overhead to wall slams 10 sets of 3

20lb med ball overhead to ground slams 10 sets of 3

20lb med ball rotational slams to wall 10 sets of 3 each side

180 throws altogether and took about an hour- this was a lot of work at very high intensity- managed quite well and was fueled by 1lb of bacon and 2 eggs this morning- the post workout meal was 2.5lbs of ribeye steak
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/17 at 3:38pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbZtsxw8vMc

I've been trying to get 20 reps at 405lbs on the deadlift now for the past 3-4 years with the best being 16- now roughly 4 months into a zero carb diet I've finally done it!! (No belt, no drugs or hormones, no supplements)- it is objectively clear to me that this diet has improved both my strength and body composition!!

Workout finished with some upper body pump stuff

Will spend tomorrow in the car so 1st day off in about 2 weeks!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:54pm
So back to altitude and home gym

Fairly easy work and had some fun training with my 9 year old girl (she basically did a bunch of med ball work)

For me

1 k easy wu row

Jump rope x 100

12" drop push-ups 5 sets of 3

Cambered bar bench press (had my cambered bar x 6 years) and today hit the highest I've ever done with it at 290lbs (so very pleased and continue to see unquestionable evidence of improving strength on this diet)

Dropped down at hit 205lbs x 10 reps fairly easily

500m row- back seems solid so time to start ramping back up the rows- did a fairly easy rate 25 effort and could see I was a little out of practice but still it was fairly decent although target was 1:25.0 at 25spm

Finished out with just a single 10 second airdyne sprint, as I had Emmie doing a few of these- I ended up hitting a new "PR" with this and got 11 calories in the 10 seconds (my previous best was 10- so more objective data that I'm getting stronger yay!

Henry, Droode thanks
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/17 at 10:16pm

Another rate restricted 500m- targeting 1:25.0 at 25 spm - timing still a little off- but still pretty comfortable from an effort perspective

Finished with 176lb KB swings x 10/hanging leg raises x 10- repeated 10 times for total of 100 reps of each
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/17 at 2:50pm

So 1 k easy wu row then another rate capped 500- targeting 1:22.5 at 27 spm- this was fairly comfortable, but as per usual when I change rate timing needs some work- will have another go tomorrow- it appears the gym strength I gained in recent months in the gym is directly translated to better power on the erg as I compare today to what I was doing last spring at a similar rate (1:25 at 28spm for 500m) - hopefully this will hold up and result in a better free rate (36-40) 500m row over next few weeks

Training again with my daughter (so much fun seeing her athleticism develop)

50lb med ball floor to ceiling throws 5 x5

Ring pull ups 5 sets of 6 reps

20lb med ball overhead to ground slams x 20/ 100 jump ropes x 3 sets

Today's workout was fueled by 2 ribeye steaks :D

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/17 at 9:21pm

Another 500m- target 1:22.5 at 27- close enough at 26spm- will move up to 30 spm next

405lb deadlift/42" box jump combo- did it for 20 sets with about 75 seconds between sets

Finished up with so backflip training drills
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/17 at 6:33pm

Again 500m with plan for 1:20.0 with a rate cap of 30 spm- hit 1:20.5 at 29 (and likely should of had 1:20.2-3 as I didn't fully pull last stroke with about 8m to go - felt pretty good with efficiency on each stroke and barely had any fade at the end

So, pleased with this I will move up to 33 spm and targe 1:18.0

A little bit of jump rope then

205lb jump squat triples/75lb med ball push press releases to 10'6" ceiling- 8 sets (managed to hit ceiling 4 times, and was fairly pleased to do it as I e only hit ceiling 1 time before)

18" step ups with 205lb barbell (5 reps each leg, alternating) x 4 sets

Finished with another ring pull-up PR of 11 reps (which is decent for my monkey long arms)

Overall decent work- relatively low volume today
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/17 at 8:08pm
First go a 33 spm for the 500m- was targeting 1:18.0 but didn't get after it like I should have- will go again tomorrow
(1:19.5 at 34spm)
Did some 50lb ground to ceiling med ball throws 10 sets of 3 reps

Decided to work some 100m intervals at low rate- was targeting 1:15.0 at 40 spm- this was fairly easy to do (despite a missed start on rep number 2)
Avg 1:14.9 at 36 spm 5 reps on 2 minutes rest
Thought I'd try a stand alone 100 - despite falling off seat for last 3 or 4 strokes, managed to type my PR and say a low of 1:04- should be able to improve on this fairly soon
13.8 sec (1:09) at 58 spm
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/17 at 3:14pm

So only training today was to just do a single 500m rate restricted row

1k wu followed by 50 jump ropes

Felt that motivation was decent got off to a decent start- it is a bit of an art to get pace down quickly and not overshoot pace or rate- saw a 1:14 on 4th stroke and then quickly settled in on 1:18s- a little bit of inefficiency throughout the row and only a slight loss of power down the stretch- while I wanted 1:18.0 at 33 (which I think is achievable), I still was not too disappointed as I am pretty sure this is my best 500 at high altitude- will pick things back up on Tuesday as I travel back to California and sea level on Monday (tomorrow, I have a deadlift goal I want to hit and rowing before will compromise it and afterwards I'll be too spent to row)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/17 at 1:12pm
Just a quick one today before taking kids to play at the local "ninja park"

Row easy 1k wu

Jump rope x 100

Deadlifts to an easy 455lbs x 10 reps (no belt)

12 ring pull-ups

Not to sound like a broken record, but it is clear to me that all meat diet is clearly making me stronger(and it's pretty darn cool!)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/17 at 1:00am
Back out to California and sea level

On rower- another rate restricted 500m row- target was 1:18.0 at 33 spm- ended up with 1:18.3 at 33spm

Not too bad will get it tomorrow

Gym was 175 reps of various med ball slams and throws done at max intensity- finished with a little upper body bodybuilding fluff
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/17 at 5:44pm

Took 44 strokes, wanted 43 = try again tomorrow

World record 50+ currently stands at 1:17.1 (set by me in January)- I am very well positioned to exceed that by a fair bit very soon , barring anything unforeseen

Gym work was jumpshrugs with 315lb trap bar x 3/pentajumps x 10 rounds

Finished with some machine low pulley rows
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/17 at 5:06pm

So today I managed to keep rate to 33, but failed to bring the appropriate level of power and efficiency to every stroke and ended up 0.2 of a second slower than my target goal of 1:18.0 at 33- while I am confident I can go below current 50+ WR (1:17.1), I will not try until I reach my target here. If I cannot execute at 33 to my satisfaction, then 36 and 40 will become inefficient flails- I will have 2 blocks this month where I can push it on the rower-after that my focus will go back to more strength work and then return to rowing again- this is a little easier mentally and a slight shift in focus/periodization is likely of benefit-As I continue to get stronger (thank you meat), my interest in trying to deadlift 700lbs again has been piqued and I feel it is very possible based on what I'm seeing right now- If I can, them that would position me to break some national drug tested 50+ deadlift records, which would be cool
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/17 at 3:35pm

Went out ok, stayed on pace and rate for 450m or so and surprisingly lost it at the end- a little bit disappointing, but I'm walking a fine line right now and need it all to be well executed to make 1:18.0 happen at 33spm

One of my problems is a relatively weak start that usually takes me quite a while to get average down to target pace often 200m or more- so about 10 minutes after 500m row I dialed up some 100m repeats all done from a static start so I can focus on overcoming the lack of inertia- I set a rate cap of 40 and every stroke was full slide- my goal was 1:15.0

Ended up 1:15.4 at 39 spm for the 5 reps I did (on 2.5 minutes rest) could have kept going for many more but I decided I wanted to do some deadlifting today

Despite the fact that my back was honestly still fairly fatigued from the deadlifting I did on Sunday, I went ahead and did some today, I probably would be better recovered if I waited 2-3 more days, but the rowing goals compressed things a bit

Approximately 30 minutes after rowing I went ahead and started to deadlift- my first warm up set at 135lb and I could tell my back was still very tired, went on and did singles at 225, 315, and 405lb- my target was to improve upon Sundays 455lbx 10reps (no belt)

I loaded bar to 455lb (207kg) fully anticipating that I might be too tired to get my goal today, as I started I was very pleasantly surprised to see that despite the fatigue in my back the reps were going well, got to 9 reps and was still feeling strong, so I knocked another 3 reps to hit my target of 12 reps today (again no belt and Olympic lifting shoes, which actually turn it into about a 1" deficit lift)- after that I shut things down drove home and ate 2.5lbs of steak

I fully expect rowing tomorrow to be difficult because my back will be tired, but despite that I will keep pressing because even if I cannot hit my target I will still develop some greater fitness capacity in trying
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/17 at 9:20pm
Did a 500m today, as expected back too tired to allow me to really push was on a 1:19.0 at 400m and coasted it out- finished at 1:25.0

Just some easy upper body bodybuilding stuff afterwards-nothing special but did manage to hammer curls 75lb dumbell for 25 reps each arm before grip shut me down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/17 at 3:53pm
Bit better today- back definitely still tired- as I push to get stronger in the deadlift, the increasing level of output creates extra deep muscular fatigue far beyond just maintaining strength levels and thus impacts my rowing output- once I get to the level I want to be at (500lbs/227kg 10 reps)- I will go back into maintenance mode for a while and expect rowing to become easier with regards to not being as fatigued

Hit 1:18.1 at 34- but felt pretty good- very quick to recover from it and then on to main workout of 60 sets of 3 reps of various medicine ball slams and throws, each rep designed to be as hard as possible to generate maximum acceleration

https://instagram.com/p/BSrT8nLAAPi/
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/17 at 4:34pm
https://instagram.com/p/BStsssGgfBx/

Ok power level is now where I want it, and now I'll rate up to 36-look for 1:16.5 at 36spm

This was good as I felt very good from a cardio-respiratory standpoint and HR was pretty darn low for this level of 500m intensity

Gym time involved 24" depth jumps with 20lb dumbell in each hand x 15 singles

24" box jumps holding 50lb DBs in each hand x 15 singles

24" step ups with 135lb barbell 5 reps each leg alternating x 3 sets
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/17 at 4:44pm
https://instagram.com/p/BSwfNRSADkR/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tpDyNN6YhlU

New 50+ 500m WR- fairly comfortable at 36spm-still have a little more work to do a 36 before I move to 40spm- overall decent as I really wasn't feeling super great today- back is still deep down tired from the deadlifts from a few days ago

Will go again tomorrow at likely 36 still

Steve- I've been deadlifting forever- finally starting to get a little stronger like I was 5-10 years ago
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/17 at 5:26pm
https://instagram.com/p/BSzDXiRgh-g/

Popped of another 500m WR-happy with power production- tomorrow will take the rate restriction off and step on the gas a bit
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/17 at 1:56pm
https://instagram.com/p/BS6m3BWg5v8/

Just a brief workout today- back nearly recovered from last deadlift session-so time to go again-455lbs (207kg) x 13 reps- probably all I had today (looking for 15 reps soon, then I'll move up to working with 500lbs -227kg)

5 sets of 7 rep ring pull-ups

Back on rower tomorrow (unfortunately I'm back at altitude)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/17 at 2:27pm
https://instagram.com/p/BS9LNJdgTvW/

https://instagram.com/p/BS9QqJbgmlY/

Box jumps up to 48" - fairly pleased

10 x 100m rate 40 intervals on 2 mins - fairly decent at 1:12.6
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/17 at 4:16pm
https://instagram.com/p/BS9LNJdgTvW/

https://instagram.com/p/BS9QqJbgmlY/

Box jumps up to 48" - fairly pleased

10 x 100m rate 40 intervals on 2 mins - fairly decent at 1:12.6
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:51pm
https://instagram.com/p/BTAJlsFg67c/

https://instagram.com/p/BTAK_qpA0xE/

Just a few more 100m interval today at the tail end of workout- avg 1:10.9 at 42spm and full slide, so not too bad

This was preceded by some cambered bar bench pressing to 295lb single, 245x5, 225x 6, 205 x7-strength in this lift is equal to where it was 6 years ago when I was about 45lbs heavier so fairly pleased- eating today was just over 4lbs of meat
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/17 at 4:46pm
https://instagram.com/p/BTCpxBYgmT4/

Today was a very brief session- the last 5-6 reps of this workout almost identically simulated the last 20 or so seconds of pain during a 500m all out TT- the efficacy made up for the lack of fun here! Ouch!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/17 at 9:29pm
https://instagram.com/p/BTFHfNZgLOL/

Today's work was just some squatting- high box 500lbs 5 sets of 10 reps (fairly easy)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:11pm
https://instagram.com/p/BTHphuIgiCv/

Low rate rowing work- likely day off tomorrow for travel
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/17 at 9:10pm
https://instagram.com/p/BTM7bnegjtd/

First day back to sea level- not really in the mood for a 500m time trial but the sooner I get into them the quicker I can get my target

Today's effort was ok-ish 1:16.2 at 37 spm/max drag

Faster tomorrow or I'll be pissed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283>
  Share Topic