Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Ettiquette at the Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/10 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

Don't wolf whistle when someone bends over to pick the
caber

Unless it's Cosner. If he had Taco Bell for lunch, he'll whistle back.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
pound4pnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pound4pnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/10 at 2:43am

To illustrate Carlos' point......

The Dixie Whistler in action....(and me running away with the caber as fast as my fat old body will allow).... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkynLAkPzic

Tara Gan Iarracht!
- Anthony Lordi
StevePulcinella View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/10 at 3:19am
Good thread. My pet peave was always when there was 15 guys throwing and the sheaf was taking four hours to complete because when it was their turn they would be fifty yards away under the tent not paying attention. Make sure you know where you are in the rotation and be ready to throw. And another good tip is, if there is one small tent provided for the throwers dont bring forty members of your extended family, three dogs, two play pens and six coolers under the tent.
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 1:26am
The two I haven't seen on here yet that I require at Tucson is keep your family/friends off the throwing field. No flexibility for me on that.

Pick up after yourself. Games are hard enough to run without having to play mom and pick up after you.
-RP-

Clan Brown

"It's not bragging if you can do it."
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 1:42am

If a game is a "dry game"...respect it! We almost lost athletics at two southern games because people felt the rules didn't apply to them.

I love a brew as much as the next guy, but if the festival host does not allow it...wait until the post game party at the hotel/restaurant.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Sleeping Dragon View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeping Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 2:52am

If you borrow someone's fork, it doesn't matter how bad you did you never throw it down or abuse it in another manner.

If you borrow tacky/spray put it back where you found it or give it directly back to the owner (with the lid screwed down)

All shag related. 

Don't forget your shag.

If the game requires athletes to shag do not walk off the field for a long period of time and routinely have someone else running the impelement up on your behalf.  This includes cabers.

If you have to shag hammers, and you wear pointy shoes, stay out in the field instead of going to sit down.  We don't care about your shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLgedB70IQ -John Shingler
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 3:35am
There's only one person fully qualified to discuss tacky etiquette...

<tapping toe>
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 4:42am

Things to do...
- It's kind of a team effort thing, as a group you help out getting the event ready, choosing/finding the implements, measuring etc. (You are only on your own when you actually throw, and then only if that is your choice.)
- Do not bail on your turn to hold the tape or to shag implements.  Forgetting is ok if you are find with being reminded, just don't disappear.
- Begginers listen to your judges.  They are there to keep you safe and to judge you, they have a lot of knowledge.

Things I have done just 'cause...
- Talk to the crowd when I am free.  They LOVE to get information and will start asking all kinds of questions
- Help set up or tear down...when time permits.  On my road trips I have not had the time, hope they don't hate me for it.

Things I have done wrong...
- I am one of those that is not super social, so though I have never used iPod, probably been called a douche
- I am super paranoid/introspective about my skills and goals, so have come off as a sandbagger, as egocentric, as show off, which has offended one AD that I know of.

The last I have tried to change but they are parts of who I am, even if I don't like them so much or they cause me grief...but just be aware  that sometimes you will be judged by people other than the judge.

Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 4:59am
It looks like judges figure in to a lot of these responses in one way or another... Keep in mind that we (the judges) are out there to have a good time as well, that (at least for me) is a prime motivator in why we do this on a regular basis. We're not looking to bust anybody's butt, be a jerk, or a dictator, etc. We're trying to above all, keep you safe and secondarily help you throw well (and far), give the spectators a good show and please the sponsors and games organizers. The key to all of this being successful is, the athlete...we can't do it if we don't have cooperation and support from you. I'm happy to say that, that has been my experience over the years. Great sport, great bunch of people! 
toddm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 5:04am
Well put, Steve.   
Todd McDougal
MacDougal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacDougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 7:26am

I'll throw in a little adder or reinforcement.

Goes back 17 years....When you stand up the caber to the next thrower, say "your caber" at the hand off.  This way they know it's in their hands now and can start the work.

When bringing the wfd back, I prefer to set it on the ground in the corner they will start from, or at the end of the trig on the ground.  Don't drop it.  Set it.

Respect the Highland attire. Wear a Tartan/Plaid Kilt For Chr.Sk. (Flag kilts belong on a flagpole).

Converse with your competitors in the field when your watching throws/ shagging weights. It's a long day to be a soloist.  Stick around and assist if needed (don't bolt), have a beer and Cigar, Thank your Judge and AD.

Slainte Mhath. 

How to get it Done? The Only Way to Eat an Elephant is One Bite at a Time.
West View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/10 at 2:55pm

Yeah, about the cabers thing...I have seen it happen where an athlete will lift the caber, and kind of push it into the guy hes setting it for.

Ask the athlete if they have control over the caber before you let go!!!

If you just push it into the guy and walk away, and then the caber falls because he couldnt catch it and balance it quickly enough, its your fault!   Don't screw over another competitor

Drink to the fame of it, honor the name of it, The Tartan.
bhuntley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuntley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/10 at 3:59am

This may not be an ettiquette thing, but if you are at a game were there are pro's don't walk past them to ask someone throwing as bad or worse than you to get advice. I have found that most of them will give you pointers if you ask, in fact several I have spoke to are kind of irritated if you don't ask them.

Shag, Shag, Shag.. remember who you are after in the rotation and do it.

Sheaf is another area I see people come in at a REALLY low height, no one wants to not put a score on the board but be realistic, if your PR is 20' why come in at 16? You only wear yourself out and hold up progress.

my .02

Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:52pm
Thinking back over the past season and looking forward to
next.

1) If someone makes an error be a stand up guy and talk
to them privately. You will come off better and the
message will be better received.

2) Stick around for the awards presentation whether you
earned one or not. Everyone worked hard and it is nice
to be recognized by your peers instead of cricket chirps.

3) Support new games whenever possible.

Peace.
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by babyfire babyfire wrote:

Take time to say thank you to the people standing cabers for you, retrieving weights, the scorekeepers, AD's, judges, etc.  Work done by them allows you to have an enjoyable day and should not go unrecognized.

+1

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Jim Glover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 5:14pm

Don't be surprised at the graciousness and hospitality of the people you meet.

I hadn't been at my first games 10 minutes and I had a guy I didn't know offer to let me and my wife crash at his house for the next games and he had never spoken to me before.  That was the start of a great day of spending time with great people.

The advice of competitors, judges, AD, and spectators who are also competitors (hi Brit) was invaluable to me.  Every throw I attempted I improved on the next attempt thanks to these people. 

My only complaint is against myself for not knowing the basics of the caber and not hearing the judge's instructions while I struggled with my first attempt.

My experience at my first Games and first Highlander were good enough that my Amazon wife wants to compete.  Thanks to Brit B once again for making it seem so fun.

"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 7:02pm

If the WOB impliment comes close to hitting you, don't return it by throwing it back to the sender.

never call someones name in the middle of their throw.

never run into the hammer cage as someone is getting ready to spin.

never go off by yourself and play with the womens equipment at any time, unless you are a woman.

while they will almost never mind, always ask before using someone elses fork.

if someone asks you to get a shot of their throw, be a pal and get the bloody shot.

ALWAYS buy someone a beer when you say you owe them a beer.

most of these I learned through personal experience.

I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 2:47am
Don't bug the score keepers for your throws or what place you are in. Keep track of that stuff yourself or get it off the NASGA database when they are posted.
-RP-

Clan Brown

"It's not bragging if you can do it."
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 3:03am

Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

After throwing the WOB or Sheaf get it and set it at the standards for the next competitor.

^^^^^  THIS  ^^^^^

Seems like more and more games I go to....In the WOB guy's just throw and walk away...especially if it's a miss....get your weight and set it up for the next guy.....

crum
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 3:16am
There it is!
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 4:46am

Originally posted by babyfire babyfire wrote:

Take time to say thank you to the people standing cabers for you, retrieving weights, the scorekeepers, AD's, judges, etc.  Work done by them allows you to have an enjoyable day and should not go unrecognized.

+1!!!  Respect the people working with you! These people work for nothing! In some cases if its a 2 day Games, Volunteer to help. I learned more from Marking and assisting then I ever imagined!

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/11 at 2:12am

[/QUOTE]Second.Don't argue w/ your judge.[/QUOTE]

When Ross Morrison says "Let's go Ladies!" that means
right now.
"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/11 at 6:50am
Common courtesy and a willingness to help out...along with a generous supply of "thanks you's" to the people making it happen, will go a long way.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/11 at 7:21am

1) You aren't so good or so important that you can't help out shagging, scoring, measuring or what have you. Sometimes volunteers need lunch breaks too.

2) This isn't T&F. Don't act like a T&F douchebag, even if you've got 20 years experience at it.

3) Have some fun, for heaven's sake. Nike ain't slappin your fat ass on a poster any time too soon.

4) At least OFFER to help clean up before heading to the beer tent. Many hands make light work.

JCLEV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLEV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/11 at 11:22am
Dont cheer if you break a caber, and if you help with
taking down the equipment be careful and remember that some
of this stuff took a while to build.
My kids wanted to be like me until they met Kevin Neis.

Northern Illinois Highland Games and Clevenger Sheaf's and forks on Facebook or at http://jclev.tripod.com/
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/11 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by JCLEV JCLEV wrote:

Dont cheer if you break a caber, and if
you help with taking down the equipment be careful and
remember that some of this stuff took a while to build.

and the money used to build them may have come out of the
AD's back pocket (not from registration or the games or
.....)

Also, don't use the equipment trailer or the storage bin
for the upright parts for a trash can.

and since I am in the mother mode, brush your teeth and
say your prayers before you go to bed.
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/11 at 2:14am
Here is one I haven't read. Don 't stand directly in front of a thrower as they
are winding the hammer. Last year I had to talk to someone for doing just
that and he was put out by my explanation that staring at someone who is
winding a hammer from 8 feet in front of them is a distraction. I learned that
one the first year of throwing in Games and the thrower in question wasn't
nearly as nice to me as I was in that situation.

Bill
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/11 at 5:42am

Originally posted by Skullsplitter Skullsplitter wrote:

Here is one I haven't read. Don 't stand directly in front of a thrower as they
are winding the hammer. Last year I had to talk to someone for doing just
that and he was put out by my explanation that staring at someone who is
winding a hammer from 8 feet in front of them is a distraction. I learned that
one the first year of throwing in Games and the thrower in question wasn't
nearly as nice to me as I was in that situation.

Bill

This is the one thing a T&F guy will get right for sure.  T&F throwers don't like anybody crowding them, or standying in their focal point, so they won't do it for other throwers.  I get amazed at how close people are willing to stand while someone is throwing heavy items. 

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/11 at 7:05am
I only see the safety issue there, nothing else. 

You can bet money now Jeremy, that if we're throwing together somewhere with a cage I will stand directly behind it and talk to you the entire time you're throwing hammer.  Good luck.   

F'n t&f babies, waaaa my focal point.  Sheesh.
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/11 at 7:18am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

F'n t&f babies, waaaa my focal point.  Sheesh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic