Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Ben Edwards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/14 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

"It's actually very solid.  Because I used an entire roll of duct tape on it."

+5 to Overall Manliness
Haha, thanks!  My wife isn't nearly as impressed. 
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/14 at 6:04am
Have done a few Braemar workouts since my last update.  Found a 9lb concrete "stone" that is actually a "face" - wife bought it at a statuary going-out-of-business sale.  She was not pleased when it became obvious (due to my inability to clean off the grass stains and mud) that I had been throwing the stone face in the yard.  Still, it was nice to throw something really light. 

Haven't touched the 28lb glob since the last update.  Did a few throws with the 15lb stone. 

Added some light (10lb) hammer winds too.  Not even trying to get any crazy speed on any of the reps.  Just getting used to the movement again. 

I am really looking forward to when my wife's parents move into their house with the huge yard near my house.  Then I can actually THROW the homemade hammer again.  This time around my training will be different for the hammer.  I will mostly throw underweight hammers to build up my speed.  I think it will translate better to the heavier hammers than training with the 22lb hammer and being super slow with the 16lb hammer also.  

It made sense to me when I read in someone's training log that they use a hammer weight of about 10lbs so they can feel what it's like to launch the hammer about a 100 feet.  I might need to use one even lighter to experience a 100 foot throw.  But I won't totally neglect the 16lb hammer.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/14 at 4:18am
Threw the 28lb glob (braemar) a few days ago in light rain.  Not a good idea.  I stopped at 5 throws because it was hard to control the throws.  Won't do this again, because my left hand has a strange tenderness in it that is lingering almost 4 days later...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/14 at 5:09am
Now that my hand is feeling better, I hope to get a few throws after my 12-hour shift ends in a few hours.  Probably Braemar, since that seems to be the only style that I like to do.LOL 

On a semi-related note, all the big plans I had to throw in that huge yard the in-laws were going to buy might be just a pipe dream.  Don't know yet.  I told them I have already (in my head) thrown at their house so many times that I just can't let them not buy the place.Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/14 at 9:36pm
Did 8 Braemar throws - lefty and righty - with my 15lb stone.  Took about 5 throws to feel warmed up.  Even then, I was a foot short of my best throw righty.  Ah well, they can't all be great training sessions.  This was just a shorty anyway.  Got off work and had about 15 minutes to spare before Tiny Overlord woke up.  

Took the Tiny Highlander on a walk and found a sweet 9lb triangular stone that I will use instead of the "face stones" that the in-laws recently bought.  Apparently, my wife isn't fond of me incorporating the decorations into my training, haha.

Tomorrow is Father's Day, so I probably won't get to throw.  But I plan on doing some Hammer Winds after work in the morning. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/14 at 2:55pm
I retired my 28lb glob.  Even though it was wrapped up with a full roll of duct tape, it developed some cuts from multiple landings in the yard.  These cuts then filled with fetid water and duck crap (a story all its own) to make the smell absolutely hideous.  I have worked in a jail for over 10 years and have not smelled anything worse than what lurks in the crevices of this glob.  I don't look forward to peeling all that duct tape off the various pieces of steel, wood, and other miscellaneous items that comprise the glob. 

I do have some very good news on the training front.  The in-laws (wife's parents) did close on the house near us (about 15 minutes drive) in the country.  They said I can throw in their big field if I mow the area I want to throw in and keep it tended.  Deal!  That is a great offer.  They also have grape vines so I have to stay away from those, which won't be a problem since they have a very big "yard". 

I think I've averaged two short throwing workouts a week since the last post.  Mostly Braemar 15lb stone and 9lb stone. 

But I have also done two workouts using my 24kg kettlebell for a WFD implement.  Those were pretty fun!  Really didn't think I'd like it.  But I did, and since I don't have a HWFD (or LWFD) anymore, I'll use what is available and make the best of it.  I had plans to have a buddy weld a ring for me, but those fell through for various reasons. 

Sometime next week, I want to start throwing my homemade hammers again.  That might be what I need the most work on.  Besides sheaf, but I don't have a place to practice that yet.  And the sheaf doesn't interest me yet.  So until I feel like I have a chance at moving up to the B class - I'll leave the sheaf alone.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/14 at 1:36am
Been pretty busy at work and doing lots of OT lately. It's padding the wallet, but not allowing me to get many workouts in over the past month since my last post.

I have been able to throw at the in-law's field about once a week. And that has been a lot of fun to be able to actually release the hammers and then walk a bit to pick them up.

My homemade 8lb hammer is holding up fine. Not much stress on the landing on that one.

My homemade 16lb hammer only has about a dozen throws on it. But it's also holding up.

My homemade 23lb hammer though has seen much better days, lol. It has broken three times. Usually on the 2nd or 3rd throw of the session. Not very helpful. I have "retired" that weight and will just throw the lighter ones until I feel a lot smoother than what I am now.

I'm paying a coworker to weld me a triangle handle from a piece of 5/8"x18" HRS I had lying around the garage. Should get it back in its new welded form soon, hopefully on Monday.

Yesterday before work, I bought 10 feet of 1" PVC. It seems very "whippy" and that will be interesting to see if I get more distance out of those handles or less - because it might be too whippy and only last a few throws.

My 16lb hammer is only 41" long right now. It was put back together after being the failed 23lb hammer that the handle broke on for the third time. I'm sure it negatively affects my throwing distance quite a bit. It feels so much different than the handle that's only 7" longer that I want to make a longer handle as soon as possible so when I throw, it feels like there is going to be the most carryover possible to a real competition hammer.

As for comp plans, Been pretty busy at work and doing lots of OT lately. It's padding the wallet, but not allowing me to get many workouts in over the past month since my last post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/14 at 2:11am
I have made Tiny Overlord (my 16-month old daughter, Josephine) a few Highland Games implements. Found a PERFECT little stone for a Braemar stone. Made her a light hammer and a LWFD also. Don't have any real crafty skills, so they're mostly duct tape and PVC and other things I had lying around the house. But she actually enjoys messing with them. The stone is going to kill either me or my wife. So we won't let her have that for a while. She's still in the "face smacking" stage, so giving her that stone would be like pissing Steven Seagal off and then giving him a cue ball to smash you in the face with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 1:07am
Broke my 23lb Triple H (Homemade Heavy Hammer) yet again.  This time it lasted 8 throws, so it lasted about twice as long as the best previous attempt.  I used 5s and thought that it would last a lot longer than it did. 

Got my awesome triangle handle back from my coworker (who is also a welder) buddy last night.  It is heavy duty and perty.  Can't wait to put it to use the next time I get out to throw! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 8:43pm
I finally got in a good workout with my triangle handle this afternoon.  It was quite nice.  I spent almost two hours last night putting together a homemade HWFD that I wanted to be nearly bombproof.  And I think I actually succeeded on the almost bombproof goal.  It should last me a while.  Well, at least until I replace it with the Landrich 42lb WFD when I win the raffle.Big smile
It weighed a bit heavy at 57.4lbs, but I spent way too much time putting it together and was just too lazy to take it apart and try to lower the weight a bit.  It stays a little heavy.  That should make the HWFD at any Games feel light.  In theory at least.

The "win" column stood at 1 - for the HWFD.  I was about to put a big FAIL in the other column.  Enter the Light Hammer. 
I got this fail on video.  I spent 30 minutes last night making sure I did everything right.  Or as right as it could be on a homemade hammer with no fancy building skills.  I glued on the end cap.  Even rasped (filed) the last foot of the handle so I could get a better grip on it. 
I fired up the camera, cockily (to myself) remarked that this was sure to be a PR on the Light Hammer.  Started my swings.  First one slow (let's be honest, all my swings are slow at this point) and the second was faster.  The last part of the second swing is where I get most of my hammer speed.  So I cranked on it, and just as I was thinking "Oh yeah!  This is going to be a PR for sure" - the plates flew off the end of the hammer.  Along with the end cap.  The same end cap that I glued to the handle. 
The video is pretty funny though.  It shows me almost wiping out when the weights suddenly fly off into the grass and the empty handle goes zinging around and almost takes my head off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/14 at 10:25am
FINALLY doing the smart thing and sending a money order to Mike Landrich today.  He has been super patient and helpful in finding out what Light Hammer design is going to work for my budget and my taste.  I am getting a 16lb cylinder.  Metallic gold color.  It's going to be awesome!  I'm pretty excited about it.  Already thinking about future purchases and what will give me the best bang for my extremely abbreviated training time buck.  I will report back when I get a chance to throw a real hammer again.  I've only throw a real Light Hammer on two occasions: both were in 2010 at the two Games I competed in.  A very important purchase for me to make is a WOB/WFD implement.  I'm debating whether to buy a 56 or a 42 though.  I turn 40 next May.  So I've decided to just wait until I turn 40 to enter my next Games.  So I guess that right there says that I've made up my mind to buy the 42.  Good to know. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 6:19pm
My Landrich Light Hammer is waiting at my house! I am stuck at work another hour. This is torture, not being able to open that package right now and ogle the gold-painted surface.   I am very excited about starting my HG training collection with some professionally-made equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 11:48pm
I really like my Landrich Light Hammer!  The look and feel and just what I was hoping for.  The price was more than reasonable.  Mike has been a very nice guy and was patient and helpful through the process of me figuring out what I wanted, and what fit my budget. 

I've only been able to throw in one training session with it so far.  Due to work, life, and a family funeral this past week.  That will change today or tomorrow, because I have both days off. 

Here is a picture of my LLH beside a 12lb shot for size comparison.  I beat my homemade 16lb Light Hammer training best by about 4 feet.  Threw it a dozen times and then had to go back to work.  That's been 2 weeks ago. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/14 at 5:17am
Wednesday I got out to throw the LLH again at the in-law's house. Had a lot of fun with it and just tried to relax and not "T-Rex" it too much.

I took apart the homemade 22lb hammer I had put enough duct tape on to survive a nuclear apocalypse. And made a 7lb hammer instead so I could work on improving hammer speed. It did the trick and I increased my training PR over 3' with the 16lb Landrich Light Hammer.

I'm sure this has been done many times before, but I like the idea of using whatever hammer weight (no matter how light) necessary to feel what a 100-foot throw is supposed to "feel" like. It obviously won't feel the same with a 7lb hammer as a 16lb hammer. But that doesn't deter me from wanting to experiment with it for as long as I feel it is helping me throw the 16lb hammer farther.

I started a few months ago with a 5.2lb hammer and threw it only a few feet farther than I just threw the 7lb hammer a few days ago. So I will progress by adding a pound every time I hit 100 feet with it in a workout.

I've got nothing but time until I turn 40 next May. So I'm going to experiment and train as much as I can fit in with a toddler, a wife, and a job with scads of overtime.

I will probably never be a hammer hero. But I am interested in improving it, so it should be enjoyable to see the distances slowly increase over time.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/14 at 5:20am
I also used Tiger Stick (bat tacky) for the second workout. I like it. Makes holding onto the slick PVC much easier. That way I can focus more on keeping the tension out of my forearms. It is very hard for me to do, since I spent over a decade training myself to squeeze everything as hard as humanly possible.

Anyone else use Tiger Stick for Highland Games training? I have had to figure it out by trial and error how much to apply to the handles. Too much and it feels like my skin is going to come off when I release the hammer.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/14 at 6:51am
Originally posted by BenEdwards BenEdwards wrote:

focus more on keeping the tension out of my forearms. It is very hard for me to do, since I spent over a decade training myself to squeeze everything as hard as humanly possible.

^^^ This.

It wasn't until I started doing high volume hammer winds that I started to relax that.  It was a revelation to me how little you actually have to vice down on it, especially with tacky.

BTW -- your 100ft plan sounds fun.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/14 at 8:50am
You made a post once about overweight and underweight implements...I suggest you revisit that post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/14 at 3:35pm
Been a while since I've updated. Still practicing. Once per week when I'm really busy. Up to three when I'm less busy at work, and with Tiny Overlord.   

Going to sign up for the 2015 McPherson Highland Games. Francis Brebner will be there again, and is putting on a clinic - which I plan on attending.

I made myself a 42lb WFD and have thrown it a few times.

Still have my Landrich Light Hammer, but haven't thrown it in three weeks due to my work schedule and the in-laws' schedule (where I throw, in their vineyard). I miss throwing it. I have done some winds in the yard so I don't get completely out of the groove the next time I throw it.

Got a few basic shot tips from my nephew about a week ago. I had been throwing only Braemar with the 12lb shot and assorted stones that I have. But I began Open stone throwing at my nephew's house and will continue once a week (or more, if I am able) in my yard until McPherson.

I got Dan McKim's book "Behemoth" for Christmas. And Matt Vincent's "Throwing Lab." Both have been quite good and will help me in various ways with my progress.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic