Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Ben Edwards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Ben Edwards
    Posted: 9/01/10 at 3:39pm

Thought about making the title "The long climb out of C class" but realized that I could qualify as a D class if there was one. 

I'm recently hooked on Highland Games.  First contest was July 17th, the Ledaig Highland Games.  Had no prior experience as a thrower or athlete for that matter.  Spent the previous 10 years specializing on my grip strength and have gone about as far as I'm going to go in the grip world.

About the only strong thing I bring to the HG training is of course my grip strength.  Otherwise, I'm sorely lacking in overall body strength and especially speed-strength.  There is nowhere to go but up for me since it's the beginning and I'll get the newbie gains just from dialing in my technique on the various events. 

My stats are:

5'10" and currently 220lbs.  35 years old.

My bests in competition are:

OPEN STONE 17lbs: 26'6"

HWFD: 15'2"

LWFD: 32'11.5"

LIGHT HAMMER: 54'

SHEAF: BOMB

CABER: BOMB

WFH: 9'

I missed 10' three times on the WFH and was pretty close on one of those.  So in my next games that should go up to the 10' mark at least.  Otherwise, the other numbers are pretty accurate in terms of what I was capable of that day.  I got some good advice (and I'm not new to the contest scene - have some USAWA contests under my belt and grip contests) to open conservatively and so I did that on everything except the Sheaf.  I missed the 12' opener just because of how strange the event was to me.  I think I had enough height on the bag (20lb) but couldn't put it over the crossbar.  The Open Stone throw was a real eye opener.  I used some ugly form of a glide.  Probably threw as far standing though.  I've got a ton of work to do on improving my explosiveness with the implements.  Have been working on some of the events since that first comp and expect to see some significant improvements on the Light Hammer especially at the next go round.

I'll start my training log on today's workout since I decided to focus on the Kirksville Scottish Highland Games as my 2nd and final comp this year.  Really like Thom Van Vleck so it will be a great games to enjoy the camaraderie and also shoot for PRs on everything too.

9-1-10, Wednesday

LWFD

Actually weighed 29lbs but thatfs not going to make a lot of difference.  I cobbled together a homemade LWFD gimplementh that consisted of some plates duct taped and tied together with a strap through the middle and then attached to my 3lb handle.  Worked well enough for what I wanted though. 

-8 throws.  Best was 30'.  Had 3 throws at 28' and 2 at 25' so the range was kind of large.  32'11.5"is what I threw at the Ledaig Highland Games in July.  I think I wouldfve thrown a real implement farther than that today but Ifve got to train with what I have right now.  No problem with that.  All the throws were right handed.  Felt like my footwork is getting a little smoother.  Still slow as molasses but Ifm working on speeding things up.

Here's my last and (believe it or not) smoothest throw from today's training.  I still do the single spin and don't have plans on going to a double spin for quite a while.  To be honest I can barely get my clumsy feet to do the one turn without looking like an idiot. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVaQVrC5tso

http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/10 at 3:44pm
I don't know what the specific events will be so I haven't put together a list of goals yet.  I e-mailed Thom and will find out very soon so I can put together a list of goals which always helps me train harder.
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/10 at 12:28am

Try marking out a trig or even just a line for 20-30 feet so that even after your last game you can keep working footwork & line drills through the winter. Vierra has several videos (VP productions & Youtube) showing WFD drills. Coach Mac has also suggested holding an olympic bar overhead while doing line drills to strengthen your balance.

Welcome to the Addiction!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/10 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Joel Sim Joel Sim wrote:

Try marking out a trig or even just a line for 20-30 feet so that even after your last game you can keep working footwork & line drills through the winter. Vierra has several videos (VP productions & Youtube) showing WFD drills. Coach Mac has also suggested holding an olympic bar overhead while doing line drills to strengthen your balance.

Welcome to the Addiction!

Thanks Joel!  I checked out all of Vierra's video logs (1-9) and really think they helped me on my form and on some other subtle things that I need to do in training.  Also marked out a rough trig (well, at least the 7.5' back line) and you're right that it will only help me to train like that from the start.  I still do the single turn throw on WFD so I'm only using a little over half the available length of the throwing box right now.  I'm sure that will change.  Will get some great coaching in the first part of October at Thom V's games in MO so maybe that'll be the start of my double turn training.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/10 at 7:07pm
Also found a few places (great friends) to throw the hammer so that'll accelerate my gains on that in short order.  Will be buying a real WFD and WFH implement at Thom's games too so that'll be a huge leap forward for me in terms of actually training the specific events that will be used in comps and not just cobbling together training implements that fall apart on the 5th throw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/10 at 7:22pm

9-3-10, Friday

HWFD

-5 throws.  Best was only 15'2".  That ties my competition best though.  I used two 25lb plates, a 2.5lb plate, and my 3lb handle.  Total weight was a hair over 56lbs since I have heavy plates.  Not having the actual HWFD implement is cramping my training style, lol.  But this was still fun.  Had to swing the plates with care since they would hit my legs if they rotated too much during the swings.  Took some video.  Footwork was slow but smoother than the last video I took of my HWFD training.  The weight felt really heavy today so that means I'm not recovered from my previous workouts yet.

Surely I'll throw farther with a solid implement than the swinging plates?  I thought about duct taping them together like I did on the 28lb LWFD the other day but the tape breaks too.  So whatevs.

KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/10 at 2:14am
Welcome Ben, the key to the hwfd is getting to the trig with bent legs
so you can use the legs to get lift on the implement. Somewhere on
my log is a sheaf drill video that will help a lot. Hope to throw with
you someday.
Bill Gray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/10 at 9:29am

9-5-10, Sunday

Had a very nice training session right after my 12-hour shift.  Carrie came out to the yard with me and we had some friendly competition going to see who could throw our respective implements farther.  She throws very well and really has the potential to do some damage on the Women's Amateur circuit with some real training.  She threw mostly with the 10lb medicine ball.  But she did a few throws with the 11lb stone before it broke on my 4th or 5th throw.   

BRAEMAR

-1 throw with 10lb medicine ball

-1 throw with 11lb stone 

-6 throws with 29lb stone.  At least 2 were 17' or over.  Didn't actually measure any of the throws.

SOUTH AFRICAN SPIN

-3 throws with the 11lb stone.  Felt extremely awkward but I eventually want to become proficient with the South African Spin technique since it'll add some distance to my open throws vs Braemar.  Stone broke (very soft stone) on the 4th or 5th throw because it mustfve nicked my sidewalk on the landing.  I had a hard time controlling the stone at 11lbs.  I sure wasn't going to try the SA with my 29lb stone.  Maybe another day.

*Overall Notes: Very fun workout and I'm glad I didn't measure any throws because it took the pressure off to perform.  I still tried to throw the stone nearly as far as I could, but focused more on technique subtle form adjustments today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/10 at 3:56pm

9-8-10, Wednesday

SOUTH AFRICAN

-10 throws with 10lb medicine ball-right hand.  Didn't measure any of them because I was only concerned with reviewing videotape of my throws and then trying to make the successive throws smoother. 

BRAEMAR

-10 throws with 10lb medicine ball-left hand.  7 of these hit 21' and my best throw was 21'6". 

GLIDE

-3 throws with 10lb medicine ball-right hand.  None were measured.  Managed to improve my form from my 1st to 3rd throws.  All were still pretty ugly though.

2-HAND OVERHEAD THROW

-5 throws with 10lb medicine ball.  Since I was doing this in my yard, I threw the medicine ball vertically instead of going for horizontal distance. 

BRAEMAR

-4 throws with 17lb stone-both hands.  21'...21'9"...24'...23'-right hand.  Lefty was 15'...16'...17'6"...18'. 

-8 throws with 16lb shot-both hands.  22'6" (twice)...23'3"...22'...22'...22'9"...right hand.  Lefty was 17'9"...17'7"...18'6"...18'. 

Overall Notes: A lot of throws compared to what I'm used to in a single workout.  Definitely good for me and my shoulders aren't really that sore the morning after.  The soreness that is there is the good kind.  The kind that lets you know you've done some hard work.  My distances are terrible right now.  I need to find the groove on my Braemar puts even though it really looks like they should be super easy with hardly any technique.  I'm finding that's not the case.  Plus the obvious would be that I need to bring up my strength and explosiveness if I ever want to climb into the B Class.

My wife surprised me with a 16lb shot yesterday (blue) and that was a nice addition to my throwing stones and implements. 

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/10 at 4:09pm
Can't wait to get home and check the vid Ben.  Don't get discouraged man...if I can do this you can do this.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/10 at 8:14pm

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Can't wait to get home and check the vid Ben.  Don't get discouraged man...if I can do this you can do this.

Thanks Duncan!  I'm only discouraged for very short periods of time.  Then I quickly bounce back and make plans to get stronger and more technically proficient. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 10:42am

9-11-10, Saturday

LWFD

Made my own LWFD implement thanks to a link on NASGAweb! 

LWFD

-11 throws.  Best was 30'6".  Others were: two at 18', 22', three at 25', 26'6", 27'6", 28', 29'.  The two at 18' were total screwups and I wish I could've had a do-over on those throws since they really torqued my entire body.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 10:46am

"Then I quickly bounce back and make plans to get stronger and more technically proficient."  Not reaching your goal on the first try is a good thing; it makes you work harder.  It isn't a loss, just a lesson.  Besides, if you always got your mark on the first try, what would be the point?

And that my friend is half the battle...congratulations on having a future in the HG!

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 10:56am

9-11-10, Saturday

GLIDE

-3 throws with the 17lb stone-right hand.  Threw Braemar (as usual) lefty. 

BRAEMAR

-10 throws with the 16lb shot-both hands.  Best righty was 25'10"- which is a 3'1" improvement over my 1st workout with the 16lb shot.  Best throw lefty was 19'2". 

-3 throws with the 38lb blob-both hands.  Best righty was 13' and best lefty was 11'. 

*Overall Notes: Shoulders were definitely feeling it at this point.  2 days later and they are still pretty tender, but not in an injured way. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 11:06am

"Then I quickly bounce back and make plans to get stronger and more technically proficient."  Not reaching your goal on the first try is a good thing; it makes you work harder.  It isn't a loss, just a lesson.  Besides, if you always got your mark on the first try, what would be the point?

And that my friend is half the battle...congratulations on having a future in the HG!

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 12:59pm

Thanks a lot Duncan!  Really appreciate the kind words and the help along the way.  It all helps.  Thom Van Vleck has been helping me quite a bit too so I'm very fortunate to have very experienced guys like you helping me out and making my path far less bumpy than it would otherwise be.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/10 at 1:11pm
TVV has probably forgotten more about HG than you or I are likely to learn.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 6:51am

TVV has probably forgotten more about HG than you or I are likely to learn.

I'm sure you're right about that.  I'll be seeing him again on October 9th and I think I've talked my wife into competing in her first games also.  Will buy our kilts and other accessories in a few weeks and then we'll be set. 

KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 7:40am
Really like the lwfd! Another innovator!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 7:50am
You know, that single spin LWFD video is not half bad.   You should feel good about that.  Don't worry about how far that clanky chunk of metal goes for now. Just try to do things right, and then a little more righter and so on. Distance will come in time.

Thom is a great guy and will get you going the right direction. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

You know, that single spin LWFD video is not half bad.   You should feel good about that.  Don't worry about how far that clanky chunk of metal goes for now. Just try to do things right, and then a little more righter and so on. Distance will come in time.

Thom is a great guy and will get you going the right direction. 

Thanks!  I like the advice to just focus on how it feels and making the technique and form tighter over time.  But it's hard to NOT try to make everything go farther, even if it's at the expense of good technique.  But I really plan on having a long career in the HG (maybe not career, but you know what I mean) so I'll take it slow.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by KiltBill KiltBill wrote:

Really like the lwfd! Another innovator!

I think I got the plans for that on this site...I'll look up the link and post it.  I am a TERRIBLE engineer and I managed to make it solid and easy to use.  So anyone can put this together and make themselves a heavy-duty LWFD or HWFD. 

Well...I thought I got the plans off this site, but I might've gotten the link instead.  Here's where I got the plans:

http://highland_tools.tripod.com/saacc/id4.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 12:49pm

http://highland_tools.tripod.com/saacc/id1.html

This will take you to the homemade hammers. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/10 at 12:54pm

http://saacc.tripod.com/

Thanks to Scottish American Athletes of Central California!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/10 at 8:03am

9-15-10, Wednesday

LWFD

-8 throws righty.  None lefty.  Did Braemar with my 10lb medicine ball lefty instead.  Then 1 throw righty with the medicine ball.  Best throw was my 2nd at 29'6".  Nothing to write home about and the rest got progressively worse.  Here was the rundown:

27'6" - 29'6" - 26'6" - 25'6" - 15' (hit a tree in my yard!) - 26' - 24'6" - 24'

*Overall Notes: Really not a bad workout considering it had rained quite a bit today and the ground was pretty muddy.  I finally quit when my left foot kept sliding all over the place during my windup. My 5th throw actually hit a tree in my yard.  A big tree.  One that I can usually avoid hitting.   

BRAEMAR

-8 throws lefty and 1 righty with my 10lb medicine ball.  Best throw lefty was 23'2". Best righty was 27'6". 

LIGHT HAMMER 

-1 set of 4 winds counterclockwise and 1 set of 4 winds clockwise with 15lbs.  Just made my own hammer trainer from PVC and it is excellent!  I love how it actually flexes, unlike the dowel I was using the other times I've trained winds.  Need to get my wife out in the yard to start training it too since we'll be doing light and heavy hammer in the Kirksville Games. 

Finished the workout feeling great and wanting to do more.  Figured that was a good time to end it and know that I put some good effort into the workout but now it's time to recover.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/10 at 11:34am

9-20-10, Monday

LWFD

-7 throws righty.  None lefty.  Did Braemar with my 10lb medicine ball lefty instead.  Best LWFD throw was my 4th at 31' but it was one of many foot faults unfortunately.  Here's the workout:

30'4" foot fault, 29' foot fault, 27' legal throw, 31' foot fault, 30' foot fault, 24' legal throw, 28'6" legal throw.  On the last throw I was at least a foot from the trig so that was a complete waste of forward momentum.  I wore different shoes today (Skechers) with some nubs on them that really helped grip the dirt and grass a lot better.  I'll wear these at the games on the 9th. 

BRAEMAR

My best throw with the 10lb medicine ball lefty was 23'6" and that might turn out to be a PR but I'll have to check.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:39am

9-21-10, Tuesday

LIGHT HAMMER

-3 sets of 5 winds-both directions.  Used my homemade PVC Light Hammer and I love the flexibility of it.  Makes for much more pleasant swinging.  Focused on counterbalancing the hammer with my hips and keeping my feet firmly planted, even if it meant swinging a little more slowly.  I wanted the form to be tighter than it has been lately.  Ive been videotaping and then reviewing each set of winds to make sure my form isnt getting too loose.  That way I can correct any form defects before they get too out of hand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:44am

9-24-10, Friday

LWFD

-21 throws-all righty!  3 times the volume that I normally do on this event.  I'm inputting the workout 2 days later and I still feel a bit worn down from this.  Lesson learned.  I won't do this kind of volume again for a while unless I have about 3 days off to recover and supercompensate.

Spent a lot of the workout foot-fouling unfortunately.  Halfway through the workout I experimented with a slightly different starting angle and it paid off with a significant increase in distance on most of the throws after that. 

Best 3 legal throws were: 1 at 31'6" and 2 at 31'.  Had one foot-faulted throw at 34'4" which beats my PR in my yard by a few feet.  That's a good sign though so it means the distance will come very soon.  Might type out all the throws for my future reference if I get more freetime today, but for now I'll just say that my throws ranged from crap to barely tolerable. 

Did some throws that I labeled as "superset" since I just rested long enough to go pick up the LWFD and then throw again.  Did 3 sets of this 3 throw-superset.  I think it helped me iron out some glaring form issues. 

*Note: Threw today (9-26-10) and could tell that these supersets really helped my form issues.  I felt smoother today although I didn't measure the throws today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:47am

9-26-10, Sunday

LWFD

-5 throws righty.  Didn't measure them.  All felt pretty good technique-wise. 

LIGHT HAMMER

-5 throws.  All but 1 felt pretty smooth - compared to the way I threw at my first games at least.  Best was only 59'6" but that's about 4' better than my official games result so I'll take it and hopefully translate that into a big PR on the Kirksville Highland Games on the 9th of October.

BRAEMAR-16lb Shot

-3 throws righty.  Best was only 25'.  The other two were a bit over 23'.  Did these throws last so I didn't plan on them.  Just wanted a few throws to end the workout.

*Overall Notes: Very pleased with this workout because some friends let us (wife and I) use their field to throw in.  That means I finally got to actually release the hammer instead of just doing winds in my yard!  Much better feel to it than having to stop before releasing it.  This will help my next games performance quite a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 12:04pm

11 days until the Kirksville Highland Games.

So what do I plan to do with my remaining 11 days?  Ill try to walk the dogs more than I have been in the past few weeks.  Just touch up what I call lasting cardio which just means the ability to continue with the throws throughout the day, including the long rest periods inbetween events, and the restarting, etc. 

Ive always had a good tolerance for long periods of stop and go exertion so these long contests favor me more than the average guy.

Wednesday or Thursday, my wife and I are going to go throw in the borrowed field and touch up our technique on the Light and Heavy Hammers, along with the LWFD (her HWFD) and Braemar 16lb Shot. 

Ordered our kilts a few days ago and sent in our entry forms for the Kirksville Highland Games so everything is a go.  Cant wait until comp day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic