Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Ben Edwards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/10 at 9:11am

11-5-10, Friday

BRAEMAR

-1 warmup throw with the 10lb medicine ball.  Then 8 throws with my 16lb shot.  Finished up with 2 throws with my 38lb blob.  Finished around 3:30pm.

16LB SHOT

-22'3"-right hand, 15'-left hand

-21'8"-right hand , 15'8"-left hand

-22'4"-right hand, 16'4"-left hand

-24'-right hand, 17'4"-left hand

-23'9"-right hand, 17'8"-left hand

-24'9"-right hand, 17'1"-left hand

-24'4"-right hand, 16'4"-left hand

-23'9"-right hand, 15'9"-left hand

*Notes: Not a great workout but I did notice that it's been a full month since my last Braemar workout, so I'm a bit rusty it seems. 

38lb BLOB

-14'-right hand, 10'6"-left hand

-14'9"-right hand, 11'6"-left hand

*Notes: Only 1' shy of my righty PR.

http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 7:45am

11-8-10, Monday

HWFD

-7 throws.  6 of those were with the standard style and only one was the modified style.  Looks like the modified style has already ran out of length for me.  I need more of a wind-up and the standard style gives me that.  Broke my previous PR twice in this workout!  Not massive increases, but one was 9" over my previous best.

-17'8"

-16'10"

-15'3"

-19'2"!...­beat my previous PR by 2"

-16'9"...­modified style, felt very awkward today

-15'6"

-19'9"!...­focused on getting a longer, smoother pull and it paid off with a better throw.  20' is just around the corner.

*Overall Notes: Want to give a big thank-you to Craig Smith for his help here on the NASGA forum!  I haven't sent him another video because I haven't managed to make my form "look" any different - but I can feel the difference when I focus on doing what he told me to do - even though it's not showing up on video yet. 

Shoggoth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoggoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 7:57am
Originally posted by BenEdwards BenEdwards wrote:

11-8-10, Monday

HWFD

-7 throws.  6 of those were with the standard style and only one was the modified style.  Looks like the modified style has already ran out of length for me.  I need more of a wind-up and the standard style gives me that.  Broke my previous PR twice in this workout!  Not massive increases, but one was 9" over my previous best.

-17'8"

-16'10"

-15'3"

-19'2"!...­beat my previous PR by 2"

-16'9"...­modified style, felt very awkward today

-15'6"

-19'9"!...­focused on getting a longer, smoother pull and it paid off with a better throw.  20' is just around the corner.

*Overall Notes: Want to give a big thank-you to Craig Smith for his help here on the NASGA forum!  I haven't sent him another video because I haven't managed to make my form "look" any different - but I can feel the difference when I focus on doing what he told me to do - even though it's not showing up on video yet. 

You're definitely going over 20' soon Ben! I can't wait to get back outside throwing again. Pretty addictive stuff!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Shoggoth Shoggoth wrote:

You're definitely going over 20' soon Ben! I can't wait to get back outside throwing again. Pretty addictive stuff!

You're right about it being addictive!  I have a hard time thinking about anything other than throwing half the day now.  I know it's easy to overdo the volume though because even a half dozen throws with the 56WFD leaves me feeling it systemically for a few hours afterwards. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 12:09pm

11-11-10, Thursday

Went to my friend's house to train in their big field.  It was raining during the entire workout but I didn't let that slow me down at all.  It at least gave me a reason to use my grip strength more than usual at least.  The PVC handle on my Light Hammer got pretty slick so it actually did require some pressure today.  Got big PRs on both events I trained.  Very happy with this workout.

LIGHT HAMMER

-11 throws.  Didn't measure most of them.  But the ones I did measure (these were the longer throws) were the 3rd (61'2"), the 9th (65'2"PR!), the 10th (64'), and the 11th (62'1"). 

*Notes: My competition PR is 62'7.5" so hitting 65'2" was a pretty nice PR.  This will equate to a few feet farther than that the next time I throw in competition.  Because the Light Hammer I have isn't quite as nice as the ones I've seen in the competitions.  I did change the setup of my LH and used 5lb plates instead of the 10lb plate (and the 5lb on that) so that made the diameter smaller and made for a more efficient swing.  Most of these throws were done with just enough rest to trot out into the field to retrieve the LH and then walk back with it and throw again.

LWFD

-14 throws!  That's more than what I had planned but I felt good so I just kept on throwing.  I would've gone past 20 throws if I hadn't ran out of time.  It's probably good that I stopped where I did because I'm pretty sore today.  Broke my PR 4 times today.  My competition PR is 37'.  My best throw today was 40'6" for a 3.5' PR!  The throws in order were: 36'8" - 36'5" - 38'1" (new PR by a foot) - 35'7" - 37'4" - 38'10" (new PR by 9") - 38'6" - 39'1" (new PR by 3") - 40'6"  (new PR by 1'5"!) - 37'8" (hook gripped) - 39' - 36'8" - 39'7" - 36'10".

*Notes: Fantastic LWFD workout!  Working with my 56lb WFD as much as I have lately is partly responsible and working on the tips that Craig Smith gave me is responsible for a large part of the rest of my sudden gains on this event.  I had 9 throws that were better than my competition PR.  And all were in slick grass, in the rain.  Used a beautiful silver ring handle on the first 7 throws and then the triangle handle that I got with the 56lb WFD from Thom Van Vleck.  I got better throws out of the triangle handle, but I love the feel and look of the ring handle.  Also tried a hook grip but didn't like the feel of it.  Instead, I just focused on trying to relax my grip on the handle to the bare minimum so that my arm wouldn't shorten.

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 1:35pm
The best way to get better at throwing is to throw more....and you are doing exactly that. Good on ye, lad.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 11:53pm
I love it.  Nice work Ben!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/10 at 5:44am

11-15-10, Monday

HWFD

-7 throws. All were sub-par. Foot-faulted on the first throw and it was only 15'. The workout went downhill from there. 15' - 15'10" - 15' - 17'1" - 17'4" - 16'3" - 14'6". Knew it was time to throw in the towel probably after the 1st throw to be honest. But I kept at it hoping that I might get my form figured out today and hit something that wasn't over 2 feet below my best throw.

BRAEMAR 16LB SHOT

-6 throws with both hands. Beat my old PR by 9" righty! Will only list righty throws. 24'4" - 25'3" - 26'1" - 26'7" - 26'1" - 26'3". Had 4 throws that were over my previous best. Very happy with this increase since my HWFD throws sucked. Finally broke the 26' barrier. Been quite a while since I increased my Braemar PR with the 16lb shot.

Today was a perfect example of salvaging a bad workout by switching to something else and sticking with it regardless of how it turns out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/10 at 9:56pm

11-21-10, Sunday

HWFD

-9 throws.  None were remarkable.  Only one went over 18' and the rest were very disappointing.  I felt very weak today, which might be due to getting over some cold symptoms.  Throws were: 14' - 14' -16'8" - 18'3" - 15'8" - 16'3" - 16'7" - 17'3" - 17'9". 

BRAEMAR 16LB SHOT

-6 throws righty, 4 lefty.  Best lefty was 19'7", which might be a PR.  Good workout righty and I got within 2' of my PR.  Throws were: 25' - 26' - 25'10" - 26'5" - 26'3" - 25'1".  This is the first workout where I've not thrown under 25' righty.  That's some progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/10 at 11:33pm

11-24-10, Wednesday

BRAEMAR 29LB STONE

-5 throws righty and 4 lefty.  Righty throws are listed here:

-18' - 18' - 18' - 18'4.5" PR - 18'4".  Some good throws and I hit a PR.  1.5" PR, but every inch forward counts.  Was surprised at how consistent my righty throws were today. 

CDarby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDarby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/10 at 1:46am
Good read. Its fun to watch the steady increases lots of throwing and attention to technique brings. I personally would like to see you logging any strength training and conditioning you do, in addition to the throwing. Then the picture would be more complete.

Keep it going. You make me wish I started when I was 35.
DT Dixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT Dixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/10 at 2:13am
Love your log...keep it up.

I practice throw left and right too.
Slainte

Derrell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/10 at 9:26pm
12-1-10, Wednesday

BRAEMAR 16LB SHOT

-5 throws-both hands.  None were measured.  Did all of them with just enough rest to walk leisurely out to retrieve the shot and walk back to switch arms.

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/10 at 5:44am
I probably SHOULD do some left-hand throws!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/10 at 11:30am

Originally posted by CDarby CDarby wrote:

Good read. Its fun to watch the steady increases lots of throwing and attention to technique brings. I personally would like to see you logging any strength training and conditioning you do, in addition to the throwing. Then the picture would be more complete.

Thanks!  I don't log my strength training only because I'm back to training (in general) for the USAWA comps and to be honest I don't think my weight training is going to have much carryover to the Highland Games now.  I stayed away from the grip and USAWA-geared training for 4 months though and I missed it.  So I'm back to training how I enjoy and I'm now okay with the reality that it probably won't enable me to improve any on the HG throws.  That's where my specific throws practice is going to have to do double duty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/10 at 11:32am

Originally posted by DT Dixon DT Dixon wrote:

Love your log...keep it up.

I practice throw left and right too.

Thanks Derrell!  I keep telling myself that throwing with both hands will keep me a bit more symmetrical and hopefully less prone to injury over time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/10 at 11:33am

Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

I probably SHOULD do some left-hand throws!

Wish I could say that it's fun to throw with my non-dominant hand, but it's not especially.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/10 at 2:46pm

Thanks!  I don't log my strength training only because I'm back to training (in general) for the USAWA comps and to be honest I don't think my weight training is going to have much carryover to the Highland Games now.  I stayed away from the grip and USAWA-geared training for 4 months though and I missed it.  So I'm back to training how I enjoy and I'm now okay with the reality that it probably won't enable me to improve any on the HG throws.  That's where my specific throws practice is going to have to do double duty.

Ben you doing the national one at Jackson Weightlifting Club? I am planning on being there and have been throwing the lifts in my training. This will be my first time trying this stuff and I am excited. Not training hard for it just for fun and seeing what I can do.

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/10 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Srokus Srokus wrote:

Ben you doing the national one at Jackson Weightlifting Club? I am planning on being there and have been throwing the lifts in my training. This will be my first time trying this stuff and I am excited. Not training hard for it just for fun and seeing what I can do.

Yes, I'll be there for sure Tom!  Look forward to meeting you there.  The lifts don't especially suit me - I'm still a grip guy at heart - but I want to support the USAWA and I thorougly enjoy Thom Van Vleck and his training area is great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/10 at 10:27am
Injured myself (bulging disc!) on the 6th so I won't be training effectively for a while.  Feeling very lucky to be able to walk and not in the hospital with a destroyed back though. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/10 at 10:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/13 at 3:10am

Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

You know, that single spin LWFD video is not half bad.   You should feel good about that.  Don't worry about how far that clanky chunk of metal goes for now. Just try to do things right, and then a little more righter and so on. Distance will come in time.

Thom is a great guy and will get you going the right direction. 

Thanks!  I like the advice to just focus on how it feels and making the technique and form tighter over time.  But it's hard to NOT try to make everything go farther, even if it's at the expense of good technique.  But I really plan on having a long career in the HG (maybe not career, but you know what I mean) so I'll take it slow.   

Just reading over old posts and found this one where I planned on having a long "career" in the HG.LOL  Didn't make it very long.  Not the fault of my HG training though.  I have missed it.  And after 3 years I am considering signing up for another contest.  Won't be for a while so I'll have time to prepare.  I have a 4-month old girl now and she takes 99% of my freetime.  And I'm okay with that. 

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy to the few who might remember my short time on the forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/14 at 5:52am
I've actually been doing some Braemar "playing" vs. training the past few weeks.  Very casual.  Just in my yard.  But I am feeling the pull of wanting to do some real training again.  Daughter is 13 months old and I have slightly more time to do stuff again. 

I've spent the last few nights going over all the advice I received 4 years ago. 

And once again, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me back then!  It will be helpful the second time around too, I'm sure. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/14 at 6:10am
Forgot to mention how I got back into it.  My wife's nephew is almost 14 years old and about 6 weeks ago started throwing the discus and shot.  We went for a visit and he had the implements there at his house and was throwing them.  The shot I'm familiar with.  The discus, on the other hand, I had never tried.  I knew it looked interesting.  But very technically demanding. 

I had a good time trying to learn the spin technique for throwing the discus and my wife did too.  She even bought a 1.6kg rubber training discus about 3 weeks ago.  So I've thrown that a few times, but not in the yard.  Even with my terrible ability, it would go sailing over the fence and out into traffic.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/14 at 6:02am
Come on and get you some! Welcome back.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/14 at 6:38am
Originally posted by KiltBill KiltBill wrote:

Come on and get you some! Welcome back.
Thanks man!  It's good to be back to the forum too. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 5:36am
I've been doing Braemar throws with my 15lb stone and a 28lb "glob" that I made by duct taping some small-ish weight plates together and micro-loading more weight in the form of odds and ends tucked inside the structure (I took pics of the building process, it's nothing earth shattering) to add weight until it was exactly 28lbs.  It's actually very solid.  Because I used an entire roll of duct tape on it.

Improved my baseline (first part of May) 15lb throw righty by 2'7" on Saturday.  I did 5 throws with the 28lb glob and then did 3 throws with the 15lb stone.  Felt like I was throwing a pop can.  Compared to the heavier and awkward glob. 

I'm only measuring the farthest throw of the day.  And the bulk of the throws I am just trying to throw it at about 80% effort.  Most importantly, I'm having fun with it.  I really don't care about the numbers right now.  Not sure when I'll do another Games.  If it happens, it happens. 
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 8:38am
Happy Birthday Ben.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 8:44am
"It's actually very solid.  Because I used an entire roll of duct tape on it."

+5 to Overall Manliness
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/14 at 5:06am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Happy Birthday Ben.
Thanks Tom!  I had a good day.  Even working a 12-hour shift on my birthday couldn't dampen my good mood from time spent with my wife and toddler. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic