Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

16 LB HAMMER SPEED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpthurman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 LB HAMMER SPEED
    Posted: 9/17/10 at 7:33am

I was wondering... This probably is a question that everyone has from time to time... but.. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to increase the hammer speed as the winds increase.. I always feel like I am loosing it into the third turn. I threw the wire hammer in college and was ok (approx 180 ft. I hit 200 in practice, couldnt get in the meet..). But, that was in the early 90's... I am working on sticking my left foot into the ground with my hips open so that when i release, I wont pull it and can finish. I wear a tennis shoe on the right foot so that i can pivot, but those dang winds... ugh... I hit about 87' in the Houston as a novice and am planning on throwing in fort worth but have hit a wall... maybe i am lifting too much and i dont feel a great deal of power, but since this is the offseason, i would rather get my strength up and cut back to two days a week of lifting to maintain and work on technique during the season.. But I dont feel a great deal of speed during the winds... maybe i am starting too fast or something... any suggestions to this epic question?

JP Thurman
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/10 at 8:21am
I'd work more on a long radius than on speed.  Once you get the feel down and can stretch it out the speed will come by itself.
Dave Barron
jpthurman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpthurman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/10 at 8:55am

I AM ABOUT 6'3" SO I HAVE LONG ARMS, THAT IS A GREAT IDEA. I WILL DO SO, I GUESS REPETITIVE WINDS ARE THE KEY...

JP Thurman
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/10 at 4:43pm

Come to Ft. Worth man...we'll take a look, get some film, and work some things out.

No worries.

The man in the arena.
jpthurman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpthurman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/10 at 6:25am
Thanks Duncan, will be there, looking forward to meeting you.
JP Thurman
matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

World Champ - '99 -'03

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/10 at 11:23pm
 For a right handed thrower keep the low point over your right foot for your first 2 swings .
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/10 at 9:45am

Originally posted by matt matt wrote:

For a right handed thrower keep the low point over your right foot for your first 2 swings .

Wanted to thank you for this tip!  It seemed to help my wife on the one time I gave her that advice on our last practice.  She threw about 5' farther after I told her what your post said.  She's very new to training (about 3 practices so far) and so am I for that matter.  I felt the difference in a smoother wind on my throw but didn't manage to eke any more distance out of it on my few tries with it.  I have no doubt it will help me at my next games on the 9th though.  Hope to report back with a 10' or more distance PR on the Light Hammer.

http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/10 at 12:56pm
Give me 11'.  Or tree fitty.
The man in the arena.
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 12:22am
Originally posted by BenEdwards BenEdwards wrote:

Originally posted by matt matt wrote:

Wanted to thank you for this tip!  It seemed to help my wife on the one time I gave her that advice on our last practice.  She threw about 5' farther after I told her what your post said.  She's very new to training (about 3 practices so far) and so am I for that matter.  I felt the difference in a smoother wind on my throw but didn't manage to eke any more distance out of it on my few tries with it.  I have no doubt it will help me at my next games on the 9th though.  Hope to report back with a 10' or more distance PR on the Light Hammer.

So I'm only 3.5 years late on reporting back from my 2nd Games from October of 2010. 

I hit an 8'7.5" PR at the Kirksville Games that year on the Light Hammer.  So the info in this thread really helped.
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/14 at 11:40am
Yes, and guys like me are reading it trying to increase our hammer throws. My Old Celt 16lb hammer is coming to me today via Fed Ex. I shall be taking it our for practice today and will remember long arms and low point over right foot.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 5:59pm
Well, spinning drills have helped me. I focused first on getting consistent spinning while maintaining balance, and eventually got to starting my spins slow and building up to spinning as fast as I can as long as I can. When I feel like I'm going to lose it, that is when I back down. Just like anything else, practice practice practice.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic