Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Tom's Training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 4:48am

Originally posted by Srokus Srokus wrote:

Throwing went well, i took about 20 throws with 5 throws over 54 feet with two hitting 55. I was feeling good. I need to slow down my first turn alot and be very patient and build on each turn. When the implement feels super light and the throw feels effortless.

LWFD? or open stone?

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 4:54am

Alright, today was dynamic stuff and a sort of recovery workout from the week. I decided to go a little harder since I didn't push myself as hard as I should have this week (I tend to do that from time to time).

Power Snatch (light) 70 kilos 3x8 (each rep was continuous, no pause in between. As soon as it hit the floor I was going again)
Squat Jumps 60 kilos 3x25
Neder Press 60 kilos 3x10
Repetitive Box Jumps (12 in) 3x30
Depth Jumps into a broad jump (24 in) 2x15 (was suppose to do a third set but I was spent and was gettignno push so I called it quits. Averaged about 13 feet on my braod jump so I was happy)
Tuck Jumps BW 3x20

And then I will be stretching throughout the day. As Colin Bryce from World's Strongest Man would say "Good Lift!"

I love your programming.  "No Olympic lifts" = light olympic lifts, less than a week later.  HAHAHA

I do think the Heavy/Fast/Repetition/Fast/Heavy/Fast paradigm would work well for you, however.

Paradigm.  Yeah, I said it.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 5:26am
Originally posted by xtra0t xtra0t wrote:

Throwing went well, i took about 20 throws with 5 throws over 54 feet with two hitting 55. I was feeling good. I need to slow down my first turn alot and be very patient and build on each turn. When the implement feels super light and the throw feels effortless.

LWFD? or open stone?

Collegiate 35 lb weight throw. I coach college throwers and use to throw it myself. I am using this as a cross training sort of thing in order to give myself a break from highland stuff but still being able to throw something. Plus a lot of the events are hard to throw indoors so yeah. my best with this implement is 60'2 so we will see if I can break that.

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Josh Roslik Josh Roslik wrote:

Alright, today was dynamic stuff and a sort of recovery workout from the week. I decided to go a little harder since I didn't push myself as hard as I should have this week (I tend to do that from time to time).

Power Snatch (light) 70 kilos 3x8 (each rep was continuous, no pause in between. As soon as it hit the floor I was going again)
Squat Jumps 60 kilos 3x25
Neder Press 60 kilos 3x10
Repetitive Box Jumps (12 in) 3x30
Depth Jumps into a broad jump (24 in) 2x15 (was suppose to do a third set but I was spent and was gettignno push so I called it quits. Averaged about 13 feet on my braod jump so I was happy)
Tuck Jumps BW 3x20

And then I will be stretching throughout the day. As Colin Bryce from World's Strongest Man would say "Good Lift!"

I love your programming.  "No Olympic lifts" = light olympic lifts, less than a week later.  HAHAHA

I do think the Heavy/Fast/Repetition/Fast/Heavy/Fast paradigm would work well for you, however.

Paradigm.  Yeah, I said it.

I was just going to say, what is that. There isn't enough in my cage for a food bowl and a dictionary so be selective in your word choosings.

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 8:12am
Dude, wait 'til I show you how to use simple tools.  Very little brain pain, and all the delicious termites you can eat!
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 1:54pm

Dude, wait 'til I show you how to use simple tools.  Very little brain pain, and all the delicious termites you can eat!

Hey that would be great, sometimes my fingers get stuck and it really gets obnocious.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 1:55pm
Before I threw I did some highland technique work for the first time ever. I did five sets of line drills for 15 feet and then 3 sets of active seperation for the same distance. Then the high schoolers came into the gym for class so I had to stop.

Lifting:
DB Bench 90 3x8
Front Squats 185 x10 225 x10 245 x10
DB Shoulder Press 70 3x8
Good Mornings 135 x10 185 2x10
Scaption 10 3x10
Step Ups 75 3x10
Upright Rows 95 x10 115 2x10

Felt alright, I really need to push myself more. I am goign to start doing barbell bench and push press because the DB's only go up to 100 and yeah I don't like more than ten reps so yeah.
I then threw some weight later in the day. Started off really rough and settled on working with two turns. I had a best of 57 feet with some pretty crappy technique.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:57am

Today lifting started with me working on my entry in the weights for distance. I did about 20-25 entries and then hit the weights because I was strapped for time.

Incline 205 x8 215 2x8
Back Squat 275 x10 295 x10 315 x10
DB Incline Flies 40 3x10
Deadlifts 315 x 12 335 x12 355 x12
DB Rows 75 3x10
Side Lunges (Gunthor Style) 95 3x12 (these SUUCCKEED)

I am going to throw later today so we will see how that goes. I am also tweaking this set up I have once again and doing all pushing movements one day, pulls the next and then the workout that blows on the last day. I think I will call the workout push, pull, blow, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! I don't care if you think its that funny I made myself laugh and thats all I need right now. For you Roslik, peace!

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/10 at 4:22am
In a given week, how many pounds of paint chips would you say you eat?
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/10 at 5:14am

In a given week, how
many pounds of paint chips would you say
you eat?

It's not really a matter of how many paint
chips I eat. There aren't a lot of lead based
paints out there anymore. My issue is I am
around little kids during the day and at night I
train stepford wives. I adapt my intelligence
to my surroundings, just be happy you don't
live with me.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/10 at 5:17am
Hmm.  Maybe you should just stand a little further away from the microwave.

Seriously, though.  I'd say chart out a month and a half of workouts.  Your body will like you and you'll learn a lot about your body's tolerances along the way.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/10 at 3:45am
So just throwing it out there that I am an idiot. I have been doing this for the past two weeks and today it finally hit me what I was doing. I decided to push myself a little more in lifting and then went to throw...BAD idea, I either need to throw first or split up those days and throw on an off day. We will see if my intelligence kicks in anytime soon.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/10 at 3:51am
Dude,

You're not an idiot.  We've all done exactly what you're doing.  It's not so much dumb, as short-sighted.  

Just pretend you're one of your athletes and put yourself on a program.  You KNOW how to do that.
RoadWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/10 at 5:42am
Dude, I saw your 57' Weight throw, very impressive.  You got sick explosion.  I was only a 51' thrower, but its weird after not touching it for 3 years I could still hit 48'.  I now wish I would have done this HG stuff in college.  Are either of you guys planning on going to Phoenix in February?
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 7:49am

Dude,

You're not an idiot.  We've all done exactly what you're doing.  It's not so much dumb, as short-sighted.  

Just pretend you're one of your athletes and put yourself on a program.  You KNOW how to do that.

I am working on it this weekend, I have some ideas and I think I got a plan, ha ha finally!

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 7:51am

Originally posted by RoadWarrior RoadWarrior wrote:

Dude, I saw your 57' Weight throw, very impressive.  You got sick explosion.  I was only a 51' thrower, but its weird after not touching it for 3 years I could still hit 48'.  I now wish I would have done this HG stuff in college.  Are either of you guys planning on going to Phoenix in February?

Hey thanks, it's not the greatest technique but with my other throws, it gets the job done. Yeah I think doing Highland Games in college helped out with my track throwing a ton.

BTW what's in Phoenix in February? Regardless I probably won't go becuase I am saving money for some other games next year.

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 8:11am

BTW what's in Phoenix in February? Regardless I probably won't go becuase I am saving money for some other games next year.

2/26-2/27 I believe it is, the Phoenix games.. A pretty big games, super fun. This will be my first games here in Phoenix (my hometown) so I'm hoping to really put on a show for the As and make the others work for it!! lol

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 11:30am
Originally posted by xtra0t xtra0t wrote:

2/26-2/27 I believe it is, the Phoenix games.. A pretty big games, super fun. This will be my first games here in Phoenix (my hometown) so I'm hoping to really put on a show for the As and make the others work for it!! lol

Cool sounds like a good time but that is the weekend of my team's indoor conference meet so I can't make it anyways.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/10 at 11:31am

Alright Dynamic Day:

Power Snatch 50k 3x8
Jump Squats 60k 3x25
Neder Press 60k 3x10
Tire Jumps BW 3x30
Tuck Jumps BW 3x20
Depth Jumps BW x15 of hit and broad jump and x15 of hit and vertical jump

Afterwords I felt drained and these workouts feel more like the days I use to train at Velocity Sports Performance. The negative is I feel exhausted and drained for a few hours after but the good side is I feel very jumpy and explosive. For example I was messing around at my school and was able to actually dunk a basketball (past attempts I was roughly rejected by the ball hitting the rim). Feeling ok about myself and getting my fat ass up that high. I am working on mapping out a training program for the rest of this month and next. Until then later.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/10 at 2:38pm

Ok so "push" day of the new set up, here's how it worked:

Back Squats 295 x10 315 x10 335 x10
Bench 185 x10 205 x10 225 x10
Push Press 185 x6 195 x6 205 x6 215 x6
Gunthor Lunges 95 x10 105 x10 115 x10
Floor Press 225 3x8
High Box Step Ups BW x10 BW+5 x10 BW+10 x10

Felt drained after the workout. Bench was humbling but it's all good.  I have done some heavy weights for steps but the boxes were lower. I wanted to work on some hip flexibility so I chose a high box this time with no weight and then added a bit. My legs were feeling it the other stuff and this. Looking forward to pulling on Tuesday.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/10 at 3:58am

"Pull" day you sons of mothers:

Deads 345 x10 375 x10 405 x10 (Felt good, no belt)
T-Bar Rows 180 x10 190 x10 200 x10
Cheat Curls 185 4x6 (Need to work on these a little bit, finally got a good technique down so now I can push the weight a bit)
Good Mornings 185 3x10 (didn't want screw anything up so I went a tad lighter on these, could've doen 225)
DB Rows 90 3x8
Upright Rows 95 x10 105 x10 115 x10

Overall good stuff, lower back is a little tight but not unheard of right? Feel good, threw a bit yesterday, had good pop but I need to fix some big technique issues. I am falling forward a lot on my throw and I am not getting a good seat at all. I need to fix this before the meet. But other than that things are going ok.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/10 at 3:42am

"Blow" day and man did it ever.

Hungarian Cleans 90 kilos 3x8
Jump Squats 65 kilos 3x25
Drop Pushups BW 3x10 on 16.5 in platform
Seated Box Jumps BW 4x5 last two sets were at 39.5 in box
Hip Pops Bw x10 45 2x10 Never did these before so I thought I would give them a shot. Liked them I guess.

Over not too bad. Feeling like I am dragging a bit but pushed a smuch as I could. Now my weekend starts and I can eat and recover before my next push day.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/10 at 2:56pm

"Push" Day

Safety Bar Squats 315 2x8 was thrashed and had to drop the weight to 275 for the last set of 8. Had never used a safety bar so that was weird.
Bench 225 x8 245 x8 265 x8
Floor Press 225 3x10
Hip Thrusts 135 3x10 Never done these before so I was just feeling these out. I think I will keep these in my program.
Side Lunges 115 3x10 These are getting better and I feel like my legs are feeling benefitting from these.
Finished off with some Push Press 205 x6 215 x6 225 x6 235 x5 missed the last rep.

I lifted with a buddy of mine back at Aurora University today and it was good to get a different perspective on things. Good day overall and I think I am going to now incorporporate some core work at the end of each workout. Nothing drastic, just 100 reps of something. I also need to spend more time stretching, I am losing a little bit of my flexibility and I can't afford that.

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/10 at 3:04pm

Good work Hulk.  When I incorporporated abs into my program and really made it a focus (especially rotational stuff) I netted big gains.

Well, big for a mortal.

Tom SMASH!!!

The man in the arena.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/10 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Good work Hulk.  When I incorporporated abs into my program and really made it a focus (especially rotational stuff) I netted big gains.

Well, big for a mortal.

Tom SMASH!!!

Thanks, I am in no comparison where I use to be. Now I got guys like you and Dan to compete with, ha ha ha. Before we got a good throws coach at my college I did mostly power lifts and was able to put up some pretty good numbers 625 x3 for deads, 375 x2 for bench, and 550 x4 for squat. I then lost a lot of that for stuff that translated better to throwing. I am now trying to get a good mix of that in my first off season for the games. I did a bunch of core before the summer and it always has helped with throwing. When I start out  on a training program I like to add a new wrinkle every week or so until I have a a full training program. I started with just the lifting, then added the throwing and drills, then a bit of cardio, and now the core and stretching. I appreicate the reminder of rotational stuff, I tend to not do as much of that and my throws usually suffer from it.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/10 at 3:49am

"Pull" Day

Deadlift 405 x8 455 x8 500 x8
Face Pulls BW 3x10
T-Bar Rows 225 3x10
Cheat Cruls 185 x6 195 x6 205 2x6
Hammer Strength Iso Lat thingy 1 arm Rows 70 3x10 ea.
GHR with a little push at the bottom BW 3x10
Landmines 70 5x20
Plate Push 25 3x10 ea. side

And thats all she wrote. the 500 for 8 felt awesome and I am pumped because my deadlift is getting back to were it used to be. We will see how that goes. Everything else felt good, pushing the weights a little more and I am feeling my strength getting back to were it was as well. THe GHR was my feet in a rack and kneeling on a bench. These felt very weak and I used to be able to do them on a GHR chair with 25's andno push so I got some work to do on these. But overall I am happy and will eat and rest the rest of the day

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/10 at 5:13am

"Blow"

Hungarian Cleans 205 3x8
Jump Squats 155 3x25
Drop Push ups BW 3x10 18 inch boxes
Hip Pops BW 3x10

Was feeling really sluggish today so I put my effort into these four and called it a day. Was going to try and do some plyos but I have no boxes in my garage so scratch that. Have a good Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy some good ol' food and enjoy all you thankful for.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 2:57pm

Push Day

Back Squats 315 x8 345 x8 365 x8
Flat Bench 235 x8 255 x8 275 x8
Glute Bridge 225 x10 255 x10 275 x10
Floor Press 225 3x10
Step Up 38 in Box BW 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 75 4x6

Nothing great, felt kind of lagging but I did what I could. Squats felt good, groin started to bother me so my last set I took it easy and it didn't bug as much as the first two sets. Who knows. Getting stronger but I need to be a little more disciplined but the holidays screw everything up, ha ha.

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 3:01pm

Tom,

3x25 on the jump squats...you going for pop or height on these?  Seems like an awful lot to me, being mortal and all.

The man in the arena.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/10 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Tom,

3x25 on the jump squats...you going for pop or height on these?  Seems like an awful lot to me, being mortal and all.

I am going more for the hip pop on these. My feet don't leave the ground but I still am working on explosion and that triple extension you get with throws and pulls. The rep range is good for the weight I use. I think it's like 155 or something like that. Eventually the reps will go down the closer to the season but I am working on muscle memory and certain aspects of the throws since I can't do a whole lot of throwing right now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
  Share Topic