Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Tom's Training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom's Training
    Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:57pm

So I have caved and decided to post on yet another site about my training. I am by no means the strongest guy in the world and have no intentions to be. I also don't care how big my arms are and such all I want to do is throw well.  I am coming to the end of my training, so lifting wise there won't be much but I will post my throwing practices and other thing related. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I am open to any advice you all may have. Competition wise I have Bagpipes and Bonfires, next weekend is Moobies for Boobies (Throwing for a Cure), and the weekend after I am going to Kirksville to throw. My bests so far are: Braemar 38+, Open-49'10, LW-74-4, HW-35-5, LH-105'10, HH-86'10, Sheaf (20lb)-27, and WOB-15 (stand). That's it for now, later.

Edited by Srokus - 1/03/17 at 10:58pm
The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/10 at 8:08am
Welcome. Nice numbers.
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:33pm

Threw this sunday in Lake Forest and the competition went alright. I threw crappy in everything except for the sheaf and caber. The sheaf I cleared 28 easily with a 16 and then tried for a best at 31 and shanked each one bad. I was being dumb and trying to watch the bag on the way up and I pulled every one wide left. Oh well, the caber was 17 x120 and I got into a shoot out with Terry Smith and he ended up beating me on extra throws 11:00-12:30.

Threw hammer this morning for the first time with boots. Felt wierd but I started to get the hang of it...then my make shift hammer blew apart and I had to pack it in. Oh well I am not lifting this week so I figure I will get a bunch of smaller throwing sessions in. So I am throwing again tomorrow.

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 2:21pm
Threw again today and it went well. Took about 12 hammer throws with the boots again and had all but one of my throws over 100 which is good seeing my best is 105. I also threw some light weight and that went well. I was recently having issue with my form but I fixed some technical things and it worked itself. Going to throw again tomorrow and I am going to be testing out the spin in weight for height for the first time. Should be fun, I am also going to do some sheaf and stone work. Throwing for a cure this weekend and then Kirksville next weekend then rest and relaxation.

BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 3:34pm
Ha! Spinning's not so gay now is it TOM!?
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/10 at 12:08am
No it totally is, but my motivation is two fold: 1) Jeff hates it more than I do so I am doing it to drive him nuts. 2) I am bored and thought I would try and take advantage of my long arms and short stature. That is all my friend, but spinning is still gay.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/10 at 1:46pm
Had another competition this weekend and the only highlight was a PR in the light hammer at 110 and some change. I just felt off the whoel competition but still pulled off a win. I am going to get two lifting sessions in this week but I am going to do Judd Logan Cluster program. I will also throw twice this week and then I am off to Kirksville, MO for my last competition of the year. I will then be taking the rest of the month off and let my body relax and recover. I may start throwing the indoor 35lb weight just for the heck of it. I start my offseason stuff in November and will throw the weight just to throw something around. We will see what happens though. Until then, later.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/10 at 3:35am

Got a lift in using Jud Logan's cluster program. I probably should have started this program last week but oh well. I just needed a little break and this week wanted to get my nervous system firing a littel bit. My body is all effed up but oh well.

Power Snatch (from boxes) 60 25x1 (5 sets of 5 clusters)
Speed Squat 100 3x5
One Arm Kettle Bell Swings 70 lbs 3x10 each arm

I am throwing tomorrow and then lifting again on Thursday and that will wrap up any training for this HG season.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/10 at 3:37am
Um, dude...  Isn't that program the opposite of what you want to do to de-fry the CNS?
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/10 at 3:55am
I just googled the cluster program - looks cool, I'm gonna have to give it a shot.
Dave Barron
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/10 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by Josh Roslik Josh Roslik wrote:

Um, dude...  Isn't that program the opposite of what you want to do to de-fry the CNS?

Maybe for your cute squishy human brain, but Sroka is a primate... check his arms

Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/10 at 4:11am
Pfft. My head rivals the power of Tom's arm's.  Have you SEEN it?  It's gigantic.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/10 at 4:45am

Dude, did it just get a lot SEXIER in here...or is it just me?

HTH are you Roslik?  Congrats on your performance the other weekend.

The man in the arena.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/10 at 4:51am
Are we still talking about highland games?  
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/10 at 5:02am
Yes...you big dirty man.
The man in the arena.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Dude, did it just get a lot SEXIER in here...or is it just me?

HTH are you Roslik?  Congrats on your performance the other weekend.

When you Luke and Roslik are in the same place it alwaysgets a little hotter.

Roslik is fine as usual and in true form being a pain in my ass as usual.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 3:28am

Originally posted by Josh Roslik Josh Roslik wrote:

Pfft. My head rivals the power of Tom's arm's.  Have you SEEN it?  It's gigantic.

Too bad there is nothing to fill that big head of your to make is useful, at least the ape arms are put to good use.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 4:06am

Ok, yesterday was my last throwing session of this season and it went well. Threw hammer and a weight. The hammer was good and bad. I had a couple of great throws where I got good speed and had good extension on my finish...and then there were those that I short armed and they sucked. The weight was good, Crowley is the man and pointed out that I wasn't pushing the weight throughout the whole throw, I was pushing only at the bottom. I worked on this and what do you know, I was able to accelerate better and had much more zip on the thing. Very nice! Feeling better than I did last week

Today I did another day with the cluster program. Felt good, no complaints. Weights were the same as last time. I am going not do a  thing tomorrow because I have a teacher's wrkshop I have to be at all day and then my wife and I are off to Kirksville. Just for Roslik, peace out!

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 4:30am
What this "peace" crapola?  All of you are getting straight up, Double-Dragon jump kicks.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:08pm

Well my last competition of the year I consider a good end to the season. I hit a best in the first 5 events and then I came a little unwound in the end. I think I tied for 3rd with Isaac Burchett. Isaac along with his brother Nathan, Brian Hare, and Luke are hell of throwers and I always do well when I compete with them. You throw Roslik in there and you got hopping party. I threw 39'8 in the Braemar (1 foot PR), 36'6 in the HW (1 foot PR), 75-10 in the LW (same), 96-5 in the HH (10 foot PR), and 116 in the LH (12 foot PR). I temporarily forgot how to turn a caber, had no aim in the sheaf, and couldn't get the weight to turn in the WOB, plenty of zip but just straight up and down.

Overall I am very happy with the season and saw some things I like. For the year my bests were as follows:

OS-48'8. BS-39'8, LW-75'10, HW-36'1, HH-96'5, LH-116', Sheaf-27 (20) and WOB-15 (stand).

I will take a whole week off and then start doing some prehab stuff (core, rotator cuff) for two weeks and then pick up with my off-season training in November. During the off season I may still be throwing. I think Mr. Crowley and I are having a collegiate weight throw challenge, but who knows. We have to talk and hammer out some details on a reward and such. Overall I am excited for the offseason and look forward to competing again next year for a full season. I am also looking into going to some different competitions that are beneficial for Am's so any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/10 at 1:52pm
So I couldn't wait a month and I got going again. For the next 6 months I am going to have a little fun and do some basic lifts and see what I can do. I will lift three days a week and pick 3-4 exercises and do 3x5 for each lift. I also will do some core stuff but yeah. The goal is to build a base and have some fun with lifts I have not done before. Here is how today went:
Flat Bench 185 x5 225 x5 245 x5
OHS 135 x5 145 x5 165 x5
Pull ups (neutral grip) BW 3x5
Walking Plate Twists 20k 2x30 feet

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/10 at 3:42am

Lifting today went much better than Monday. I am adding into my offseason stuff this East German Dumbbell program that will help me with my pressing. I want to starting hitting 50 consistently in the stone next year so I think this will help me. I haven't done any serious pressing in about two years so I need to get back on that. Today I went a little harder and did lifts I have not really done before so here it was.

Cheat Curls 135 x5 165 x5 185 x5
Step Ups 185 x5 each leg 205 x5 each leg 225 x5 each leg
Trap Bar Deads 325 3x5
DB Incline 30 5x20

The place I am lifting at right now is the weightroom at the school I teach at. Due to gas and how much it costs driving back and forth to my other gym I will do most of my lfiting at the high school and only one day or so at my other gym. I still want to correspond with Jeff because his program worked pretty well during the season. The high school has bumpers but now I have to go back from kilos to pounds which is a little aggravating but there are some kilo bumpers in there. Anyways, I am feeling better and I am the most excited about off season training than I have ever been.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/10 at 3:38pm

Here's the rundown for the day:

Single Leg Squats 95 x5 115 x5 135 x5

Dogg Chins Bw 3x5

Hammer Strength Incline Press 210 x5 230 x5 250 x5

DB Military 30 5x20

Some core work

I am going to start planning out more what I am doing and start mixing in some speed days and heavy days in preparationf or when I go full blown with my westside stuff.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/10 at 2:00pm

So today was an alright day I worked in the o lifts again and it felt good.

Power Snatch 80 kilos 3x5
Back Squat 315 x5 365 2x5
Reverse Flies 40 3x10
DB Bench 45 5x20
Weighted Sit ups BW+25 5x20

Felt good I am gettibg back into it and I and going to start making one of the three days a speed day just because.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/10 at 4:19am

So here is the deal for today, I felt good and solid in my lifts but I am really sore. I think I need to start stretching a lot more than I am.

Cheat Curls 185 3x5
Snatch Grip RDL's 275 3x5
Step Ups 225 3x5
1 arm DB Rows 65 x10 70 x10 75 x10
DB Incline 5x20
Seated Twists with weight 35 x20each side

Overal feeling good, my nutrition has been really good as of late I think and my calorie intake is staying up. I am not doing any crazy dieting I am just cutting out a lot of sugars (except for the few occasions), eating smaller meals as the day goes on, and not eating a ton right before I go to bed. I also do a tad bit of cardio (walking the dog once or twice a day that is about a mile each time we go). I am maintaining myself right now around 267-271 and I think that is a good weight for me. I am going to start actually throwing the weight next week so I am pumped about that. I should probably get some turns in so I am not so rusty come throwing time.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/10 at 9:05am

So today was a speed day and here's how it went:

Box Squats with Green Bands 225 10x2
Power Cleans for speed 225 10x1
DB Military Press 30 5x20
Knee Tucks BW 5x20

Felt good, after talking with people, I am going to alternate my days and go bounce back and forth between heavy days and speed days. My hamstring is kind of bothering me so I am going to stretch alot this weekend and ice it a bit too. Looking forward to this weekend, have fun everyone.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/10 at 9:30am
Nice.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/10 at 1:39pm

So I changed up my lifting and will be doing this format until January. This is my off season work and my goal is be get strong overall and buil dup my wekanesses. I am doing all BB and PL movements with no Olympic lifts. I am doing two heavy days and a third dynamic day. The heavy days will be 5-6 exercises and 3 sets of 8-12 reps. The dyanmic day will consists of various plyos and medicine ball exercises. I think this will work out. I have collaborated with two guys that have a great sense of how this stuff works and I have combined their ideas into a good program. My offseason will be from October until January and my preseason will be January until May. The in season will be May until October and the cycle will repeat itself.  I am doing both upper and lower body stuff each day and will superset the exercises for a little conditioning. Here is how today went:

DB Bench 50 5x20

Front Squats 185 x10 205 x10 225 x10

Upright Rows 95 2x10 105 x10

Good Mornings 135 x10 155 x10 175 x10

Dogg Chins BW 3x10

I also threw for the first time today. I was suppose to practice with some turns but I didn't and I did no work leading up to it but it worked out. It started out a little rough but my last 3-4 throws were in the 51-53 foot range. I am working on three turns and it went well. I was happy and it felt good to throw again. I think this is a good thing. With highland games I am so right sided in my throwing and this requires more left side soI think its a good balance. I will throw again on Wendesday and hopefully get more throws in. I am thinking of a meet on the 18th of December and I might do one before that on the 4th but who knows if I will be ready.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/10 at 2:05pm

Hokay, I went to lift this mroning and got to school early as hell only to find out that there was a stupid National Honor Society Induction in the chapel and the weightroom is right above it. So lfiting was out. I had to settle to lift after I threw this afternoon which I hate doing but ooh well. Throwing went well, i took about 20 throws with 5 throws over 54 feet with two hitting 55. I was feeling good. I need to slow down my first turn alot and be very patient and build on each turn. When the implement feels super light and the throw feels effortless. Those are the good ones. Now for the lifting, it was rough, I had a hard time holding stuff because my left hand was beat up from throwing.

Incline Bench 30 5x20
Back Squat 275 x10 295 x10 315 x10
DB Incline Flyes 40 3x8
Deadlifts 275 3x12
DB Rows 70 x10 75 2x10
Split Squats 75 3x10
Chin Ups BW 3x8 (with assistance, because I am fat)

I did an upper and lower body exercise as a superset and I was beat up by the time I finished. I have been constantly stretching since I finished. I am hoping to not be so sore tomorrow, maybe I will get up and do some yoga with the wife. Who knows, looking forward to my dynamic/recovery workout on Friday! No more throwing this week, will throw again next Monday and Wednesday.

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/10 at 4:21am

Alright, today was dynamic stuff and a sort of recovery workout from the week. I decided to go a little harder since I didn't push myself as hard as I should have this week (I tend to do that from time to time).

Power Snatch (light) 70 kilos 3x8 (each rep was continuous, no pause in between. As soon as it hit the floor I was going again)
Squat Jumps 60 kilos 3x25
Neder Press 60 kilos 3x10
Repetitive Box Jumps (12 in) 3x30
Depth Jumps into a broad jump (24 in) 2x15 (was suppose to do a third set but I was spent and was gettignno push so I called it quits. Averaged about 13 feet on my braod jump so I was happy)
Tuck Jumps BW 3x20

And then I will be stretching throughout the day. As Colin Bryce from World's Strongest Man would say "Good Lift!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
  Share Topic