Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG : Bert Sorin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG : Bert Sorin
    Posted: 9/28/10 at 12:00am
Today's training:

Day 1

Jumped for the first time in over a year. 30" vert with a slight run up. not good, but it was fun to fly for a minute. Landing was strange.
Warm up:
Dynamic flex
Med ball circuit
Root Hog Sled Push / Pull 90lb. 50'x2

Workout:
Diamond bar Standing Press 5x8 135
Diamond Bar deadlift 5x8 315
Ring Push up 5x10
Single Leg RDL on Landmine 25lb. 5x6 each side
Stick, stretch, ankle rehab

Nothing to crow about, but writing it down makes me accountable.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:11am
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:25am
Welcome back!  I trust married life is treating you well?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 6:20am
Welcome Burt, glad to see your log.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 6:20am

Welcome to the board Bert. Very interested in your training methods.

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 8:27am
good to see you back Bert - good luck in your training!
godfather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:48am
Believe me or ask your pop , comebacks are better than never were's...........
have fun Bert and take it day to day!!
Bert Sorin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/10 at 1:45am
Thanks guys. I am stoked to be back. Married life is great, no little throwers planned yet, but hopefully one day. I miss my HG brothers, I hope to see you again this coming season. 
In Strength and Throws,
Bert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/10 at 1:47am
Speaking of comebacks, Paul, Dad is training right now for his first oly lifting contest in over 35 years. He wants to break the 60 age class national records, that is the goal any way. It's fun to see him getting after it. 225 clean on a 2" bar was pretty fun to watch the other day.  grip is not really a problem with the ole man. 
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/10 at 4:31am

Bert,

For what it's worth man, I am very proud of you.  Very happy to have you back.  Teach us some stuff.

D

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 1:19am
Wed. Sept 29th

Warm up:
dynamic flex

General Strength Circuit:
x10 each
push ups
v-ups
mountain climbers
leg scissors
overhead squats with PVC

A1 Front Squat 8x3 135, 155, 185, 205, 225, 245, 275, 315x2
A2 Bent over row with parallel grip handles 8x5 135-165
B1 Glute Ham Raise 6x5
B2 Curl on machine 6x8
C1 Neck Attack with green back and 90lb. 2x15
C2 hanging Ab Curl up (knees to elbows) 2x15

Prehab - stick and foam roller

Notes - took a new pre workout supplement 1 M.R., OMG, this stuff turned me into a cracked-out raging bull! I felt great, but had trouble sleeping until 2am. hmmmm. Maybe not so much next time.

Starting to take L Glutamine a few times throughout the day for recovery, with random stick rehab. VMO pretty sore today.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
gopostal42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gopostal42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 2:14am
glad you started a log, always wondered how you trained.
good luck!
powerlifter who put a skirt on.
Derek Wilcox

log
http://www.nasgaweb.com/forums/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105 91&PN=1
mike pockoski View Drop Down

Top 10 in the USA - '09-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:02am
bert - what's with the a1, a2, b1, b2... some sort of
secret workout code? you rotating through those exercises
like a complex?   What kind of rest times?

315 FS!! you are already strong enough.

1M.R. hmm, is that what you kids are calling the meth
nowadays?

welcome back, mortal enemy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:22am
Derek and Duncan,
Thanks for your support.

Here is my training log (about 18 months of it) when I was throwing. I will be keeping my log up to date there too. Anyone else who wants to post on our Sorinexforums.com page is more than welcome.

http://www.sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=81
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Andrew Durniat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Durniat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 4:31am
Glad to see you returning to training.  Build it back stronger.
Limits are for the other people.
rwilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/10 at 6:19am

I'll definitely be reading this one to get some training ideas.

On another subject, I got one of your Sorinex Braemar med balls a few months back, and I've got to say, I love that thing!  I can work stones technique in the aerobics room at my gym after I lift.  Its great to be able to get some quick throws in without going out to a field somewhere.  Now, invent something that would work the same for WFD! 

-Rich W.
-----------------------------

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 12:32pm
10-7-10

have not trained in a week. lots of work, and when I was not sitting at my desk, I was sitting in a deer stand. 22 hours on stand, and 3 dead deer later, I am back in the saddle. I guess dragging a nice 8pt. buck up a hill is kinda like sled training. Camo GPP.

Today:

Pre workout - 1 MR 1/2 scoop

Warm up:
treadmill walk 3 min
Dynamic Flex
med ball cir.
overhead squats x10 with bar

Majors:
A1. Triplex Pull 9x5 from blocks up to 275 (went straight to hi pull instead of row for the first 3 sets due to sore elbow)
A2. 8" Log bar press parallel grip, 35lb. chains, 205 bar weight 9x5

Assistance:
YT (no M due to elbow / tricep) 4x12
Landmine twist 25lb. 4x10

Pre-hab:
Back Nobber, Stick, ankle bands

Post workout-
Glutamine

total time about 1 hr.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Khruel View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khruel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/10 at 1:24pm
Hey Bert,

We've never met, but we have a common teammate.  I threw with Kevin Mannon at Wyoming when I was a freshman for coach Judge.  Kevin used to tell some pretty funny stories about South Carolina with you and Brad Snyder. 

Hopefully your training goes well.  Those Sorinex vids on youtube are always interesting to watch.  Maybe we'll get to compete against each other next year.

Dan Williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/10 at 2:02am
Sounds good Dan. I look forward to it. Kev was a great guy, a true beast. He would be an awesome HG athlete, i tried to convince him of that a few years ago. At the time, one of the best all around throwers on the field.
Shot -63'9"
Discus - 190'
Hammer - 235'
35lb. weight - 75'+

I remember doing cleans one day, I was doing triples at 286, and Kev walked in from the track, and asked if he could work in. I said sure, he just picked it up and started going. No warm-up, nothing. He went up from there.

Take care Dan.
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/10 at 3:48am
Bert how's the wheel?
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/10 at 6:03am
Knee is feeling stronger, and the ankle, besides a little stiffness, seems strong. Not throwing strong yet, but regular life strong. 

Thanks for asking.
In Strength and Throws,
Bert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/10 at 11:03am
2 days in a row. This completely goes against what I believe in, but here goes:

10-8-10

Warm up
KB swings
overhead squats

Majors:
A1 Back Squat with buffalo Bar 145x5, 195x5, 235x5, 285x5, 305x5, 325x5
B1 Lat Pulls 5x8

Just to see where I was, I tried to overhead squat bodyweight. 230x3 not bad.

Assistance:
B1 Cheat Curl w/ E-Z bar 175 5x6
B2 Band Stomps 5x10 each leg

That is all.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/10 at 12:42am
Sunday 10-10-10

Ran the workout for the Biggest Loser Program at my church. Did some of the workout with them:

Kettlebell Swings 30lb.
Rope Work
Running stairs
knee to elbow planks
alternating v-ups

Turned out to be a nice recovery workout.

Took a 2 hour nap. Ate venison steaks.
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/10 at 12:49am
great to see you back......
crouch,touch,pause,engage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/10 at 2:13am
Monday 10-11-10

Warm up
Dynamic flex
gen strength circ.
Indian clubs, face pull (shoulder pre-hab)

Major:
A1 Diamond bar Standing press (no legs) 5x8 95, 115, 135, 135, 145
A2 Diamond bar Deadlift 5x8 135, 225, 275, 315, 325

Assistance:
Recon Ring Push Ups 3x10
Single Leg RDL on Landmine 3x6 each leg 35, 45, 45,

Rehab:
Back nobber, stick
In Strength and Throws,
Bert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/10 at 1:45am
10-12-10

Went to Donnie Thompson's place to watch him get ready for his next powerlifting world record attempt. They were hitting their last phase of squats before his contest. Our employee, John Morrow, worked up to an easy 865 opener, and Big Donnie buried 1065, 1155, 1245, and then 1300 with green reverse bands. All of them were deep and he looked really strong.

While I was there I did some shoulder rehab work and stretched. I mean, even if I would have hit a squat PR, it would have been literally been 46% of the top squat of the night. My ego could not have handled that. hahahahaha. Just kidding, I cannot squat 610 right now. hahahaha
In Strength and Throws,
Bert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/10 at 5:37am
10-13-10

very tired all day.

Moved rubber mats for a good portion of the day, so was pretty bushed. Decided at the last minute to actually train. Felt like crap, but changed and strapped on the lifting shoes...

Warmed up
Dynamic flex
med ball Cir

decided it was a bad idea, and I needed to listen to my body. Changed clothes and went home to hang out with the wife for some good dinner. much better plan. I am getting wiser.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Unbalanced View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unbalanced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/10 at 6:52am

Hi Bert,

Great training tips on youtube!

In this video, at about 1:00, you say that the cheat curl is a more natural or comfortable way to immitate the hang clean. Do you do these instead of hang cleans now or when would you do these instead of hang cleans? I am still trying to get the flexibility in my wrists and triceps, so that I am more comfortable with Oly lifting. BTW, have you cheat curled 285 yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzMeZ4UxGU&p=BE9B9E5125F 6613C&playnext=1&index=60

Thanks,

Randy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/10 at 8:49am
Randy,
Thanks for the kind words. This was a little tip given to me by Discus great, Al Oerter. His exact words were, "go heavy and cheat like hell".

I still do some cleans here and there, but in all reality, I did so many of them in HS, college and after, I got burned out on them. I still do pulls but have not caught a clean in a while. I might start back. I know my wrists have stiffened up since not cleaning.

I like the cheat curls also because of the upper back strength it builds, and the scapular retraction, vs the opening if that area in the clean.

Have not cheat curled 285 yet, Not too strong anymore. Comin' back.

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
godfather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/10 at 9:19am
Bert, Randy you could give a swiss bar a try, With your hands in the neutral
position should be easier on the wrists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic