FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andy Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/10 at 4:24pm

Not sure how to feel about tonight.  Things went like so: Deadlift 505x2 and 530x1 (wanted two).  Front squat 335x2 and 350x1 (again, wanted two).

And so end our first eight week cycle.  We had a meeting of the minds and came up with a few variations and such for the next eight weeks.  Jumping back into it on Sunday Sunday Sunday! 

My lifts for this offseason now look like this

Back squat: from 515 to 550

Deadlift: from 500 to 530

Front Squat: Still at 350, but I know there is more there

Bench: 305 to 315.  More there too

Clean: 0 to 245x3.  Obviously, more there as well

Overall, not so bad, but could be better.  Onward and Upward.

"Three hams will kill him." -A reliable medical journal

Proud memeber of the Northside Throwing Club/Wisconsin Department of Zombie Defense
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/10 at 3:59pm

Base week for cleans and squat.  Threw some eights in this week and those were crappy.  Eight is so many.  It feels good to get back into cleans though.  Only went up to 205x5 on cleans and 385x5 on back squat.

Did some light rack pulls up to 615ish plus chains then some uneven bench.  I'm sore.  Bench day tomorrow.

Proud memeber of the Northside Throwing Club/Wisconsin Department of Zombie Defense
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/10 at 3:56pm
Base week fronts and deads. Up to 385x5 on deads and 260x5 on
fronts. Nothing exciting. Did sets of eight to start both workouts .
335 and 225 respectively. Felt good.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:47am

Load week cleans and squat.  I felt like absolute poo.  Had a few too many brandy cokes at the girlfriends Christmas party.  We did a set of 3+ at the end of both workouts.  I did 255x3 on cleans.  These still feel very awkward.

nap x 30 minutes

Woke up for squat.  Did 455 for my three plus.  I got six.  I defintely could have done more, but I felt like I was going to puke, so six is good enough.

Bench tonight...woot?

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/10 at 10:15pm
Bench day went...weird.   I was not feeling it. I did 240 for eight 200
for 16 295 for two then things got crazy. We did probably over 200
reps at 150 with various grips like wide close supinated and such. It
was intense. Very little rest between sets of however many we could
do. Upon failure of each set we did what we call chest rest. You
have to leave the bar laying on your chest until you can get another
Rep. It.was stupid. After that we did a curl burnout with just the bar.
. NProbably around a hundred reps. My chest and arms are hurty.
Now this all may sound very stupid but I assure you that is only
because it was. Stupid as it may be, I feel it was good to break up the
monotony.   I feel rejuvenated.   Bring on fronts and deads.   On
yeah, I benched with a belt on for the first time. It felt nice.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/10 at 5:18am
Sounds horrible.  For bench, I'm just doing the program with 8's and 5's, instead of 5's and 3's.
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/10 at 7:05am
But threes are the most fun! What are
your feelings on the workout thus far?

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/10 at 7:43am
I like it. Its simpler than it looks.  Just a few dealies:

I'm not a big fan of back off sets. 

Didn't like the 3+ at 80%, because I don't dig uncertainty (because it can jack up your loading).  

There was no way I was doing 8's.   Or squatting twice a week, boo.

I do a few things different, exercise-wise. I do:

Day 1. Clean and Deads
Day 2. Snatch and Push Press
Day 3. Squat and Bench

I also do curls, for the lady's.

Other than that, I like the pattern, dude.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/09/11 at 4:32pm

Yeah, we didn't dig the drop sets either.  I don't feel squatting twice a week hurts my numbers or overall good feelings, but I think fronts after deads may limit me a bit.  That's okay though since we are just using fronts as an aux. lift.  I'd like to get them up though.  Push press is something I really want to get into again, but Wade's basement doesn't allow for it.  We've started doing seated military press because we felt it was ungood to completely leave out any OHP.  As for the 3+, I love them.  I think it's going to be a big benefit to get some heavier weights in my hands/on my back before peak week on the threes rolls around.  Hopefully it will make it less overwhelming.  Plus it makes me feel good about myself.  Tonight I did 475 for 6 on back squat.  Wade said I could have gotten eight.  I probably could have.  There was no grinding or anything involved.  All snappy reps.  I've noticed I've never really pushed myself to the limit on back squat.  I should try it sometime. 

We did sprints after the workout.  Probably around 20 yards per for 7 then one at around 30-40 yards.  They felt great.  I was running in my vans slip ons, but I felt fast and explosive.  Big thumbs up.

Wade got a pretty easy four @ 315 on hang cleans.  Strong like monkey.  Luke needs a backiotomy.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/11 at 3:36am
backiotomy?  Why?
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 10:20am

Wow, it's been a while.  Not a whole lot of exciting stuff going on here.  We took some time off for Wade's work and Luke's backiotomy.  We're getting back into it now.  last week was just kind of a "do whatever" week.  Trying to have fun with things.  I only lifted one day.  Just did easy snappy singles on squat up to 455.  Compeltely raw.  No belt, rehbands, or lifting shoes.  Did seated barbell military press afterwards.  Boy do I suck at these.  185x3 was my best.  

This week is base week.  Did sqaut and clean yesterday.  255x2 on cleans and 475x2 on squat.  All nice and easy.  Tonight will be deads and front squat.  Yep.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/11 at 7:25am
Deads and fronts up to easy doubles at 475 and 300 respectively.  Afterwards we did power shrugs and called it a night. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/11 at 8:09am
I haven't updated because the workouts were getting discouraging, and I was feeling worn down.  I learned that a 6pm to 6am shift, three hours of sleep, and 9 hours of ice fishing are not conducive to a productive workout.   Sunday, however, was a good workout.  I'm done with cleans for the time being.  I reinjured my bicep tendon.  I'm going to stop with cleans and curls in hopes of a recovery. On to the good part.  My squat workout went wonderfully.  I got 570 with only a moderate amount of cheating.  For the first time ever, I slapped on some knee wraps. I said I never would, but when I felt what it's like to walk 550+ off the rack, I decided my knees could use some extra support.  Yes, I'm a baby.  They provided great stability and warmth.  Thumbs up.  After two attempts at 570 (I failed my first, got my second) I decided I wanted to go for 585 (six wheels just seems so cool).  First try was super tentative.  Still getting used to the feeling of knee wraps.  Failed pretty hard.  My second attempt went a little better.  I came all the way up to about six inches from lockout, but just couldn't shoot my hips through.  Drat!  I'm going to try again in a few weeks.  I know I can do it.  One step closer to 600...

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/14 at 2:42am
Turns out, I couldn't do it. Three years since my last post and here is where I'm at: three years older, married, home owner, father, generally worse at highland games, better at hunting and fishing,
And mostly weaker.

However, after about a year off of lifting, I'm back in the swing with more enthusiasm than I've had in a long time. I've mended a few injuries, changed some philosophies on my training and I'm feeling good again. I've changed my squat form. No more going just below parallel with a wide stance. That had zero carryover for me in any of the throws. High bar ass to grass is the way to go for me. Less ego stroking and more real strength is good. I've also added more bodybuilding type lifts to my program. They make me feel good and that is what keeps me in the gym, so suck it. As far ad throwing goes, I didn't practice as much as I would like this year due to Luke and I having conflicting schedules but the work I did get in was generally quality. I only threw in three games but I was able to finish strong at QC which bumped my rankings up in the from 84 to 13 (for the moment?). With a little luck, I hope to get an invite to nationals next year. Stones are still not where they need
To be, but it's getting better. I still get squirrely in weights. I scratch literally 2/3 of all my competition throws out the left side. My body out runs the weights causing big lean and big fouls. The most frustrating thing is I know how to fix it and can on a limited basis but when I get in the trig, nerves take over. It's frustrating to scratch throws 5-10 feet father than my marks, especially in heavy weight. Hammers are coming along but are still in the big practice throws and meh comp throws phase. WOB is getting back to where it was. I had some great pulls at 15 that cleared but didn't go over. Still encouraging for me. Sheaf is great to a point. I went 28 easily but after that i crawled inside my own brain. I did have a big throw come down on top of the bar at 29 only to get Matumbo'd by the bar. One thing I've noticed, the less damns I give, the better things go.   Time to rest and recover. Lifting starts again Wednesday.   Get some. No, F that. Get all them shits.

Edited by Barry - 9/22/14 at 3:17am

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/14 at 10:30am
Nice seeing you, chico.  Your weights looked gooder.
...Josh
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/14 at 8:14pm
You as well, sir. They would have been more gooder if the box was 6 feet wide.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/14 at 8:30am
Last couple days of workouts consisted of working out soreness that was lingering from Saturday and try some new stuff for funzies and see if I like it.

Tuesday 6am workout after a 12 hour shift consisting of bench up to 225x8 decline up to 185x8 decline flies, and wide grip dips. I then went to gun (bang bang) and did barbell curls and drag curls for 2x10 each at 95lbs. Like I said, this workout was just to get back after it and try some things. I haven't done decline anything since high school but I thought I'd give it another shot and see what's up. It felt wierd, but I feel it in my outer chest which I think isgood bbecause my pecs look like triangles with nipples so filling that out wouldn't hurt. Other than that, probably not many benefits to it.

Wednesday morning workout also preceded by 12 hours of work:
Leg day! Woooooooo! It....was....average. Again, I just wanted to get some hurty parts worked out. It consisted of back squat up to 315x8, front squat 275x3 (poor wrist flexibility makes these hurty) RDLs up to 225x8x2, where my calves should be raises, and leg extensions x some amount of rectangles x 12-20.

This week, and probably a week or two more is just going to be about doing whatever the crap I want in the gym. Have some fun, try some different accessory lifts and hopefully find some I feel to be beneficial. Soon I'll be jumping tits first into the offseason program (probably Juggernaut) but for now it's time to be all willy nilly.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/14 at 9:14am
Use the straps for front squarts.
...Josh
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/14 at 6:33pm
I've used straps before, but I dont trust them. I tend to get too forward with them for whatever reason. I just need to work on shoulder mobility so I can get my elbows up and take some strain off my wristicles.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/14 at 7:47pm
Thursday shoulder day. Feeling very blah. Had to reverse my sleep schedule, so I could be up during the day for Oktoberfesting. Not conducive to a great training session. Push press up to 210x5 strict press to 135x5. Seated laterals, bent laterals, face pulls, done.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/14 at 11:35am
What day is it? Ah yes, leg day. Felt like crap after work. Squat up to 335x8, RDL 275x8, calf raises and leg extensions for the ladies.

Forgot to log my Monday chest workout. It was uneventful. Pretty much identical to the week before but with less sleep and more shoulder pain. Oktoberfest was last weekend and it really screwed up my lifting schedule. I'll get it back on track this week though. Hopefully start the jugglebus workout next week.

Pandora is stupid and thinks I want to hear Mumford and Sons. More like Mumford and Sucks. How many thumbs must I down to get you off the Great Big Sea station. Hopefully less than five because that's all I'm allowed.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/14 at 3:23pm
Shoulder day. Strict press up to 155x2. I'm so bad at pressing. Push press up to 225x2 real reps followed by two more where my triceps refused to kick in at the tippy. Should have started with push press first. Seated dumbbell press up to75s for five. Seated lateral supersetted with bent laterals. Front raises. Face pulls. Mic drop. My log is super boring. So here's a story about food. Post workout the wife and I made the hour and a half round trip to the nearest Arbys. I had the smokehouse brisket and a chocolate turnover and got two junior roast beefs and two more turnovers for eats during the game tonight. Go Pack Go! Take those Vikes out behind the wood shed. Too soon? Nay. Perfect timing.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/14 at 2:32pm
Chest and tri guns. Close grip. 8,3,8,3 wave sets. Why wave sets, you ask?   Shut up. 185, 225, 195, 235. Incline dumbbell up to 90s x5. Tris were a burnin' after the close grip. Single arm standing cable flies, cross overs, skull crushers (not to be confused with Brainsmasher), pushdowns, overhead cable extension dealies. Smell ya later. Ate a bunch of venison stroganoff when I got home. I'd mention how much I look forward to the impending poop, but that's Luke's thing. I won't steal it. It's all he's got.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/14 at 11:44pm
Back and traps (it's a trap!)
Deadlift up to 405x3. Haven't deadlifted in a few weeks because of some discomfort in my back. Tonight felt good. Tweaked my form a bit and so far, I likes. Strength wasn't really there tonight due to crap sleep and diet lately, so I didn't push it. Followed up with pull ups 3x8 (pronated, supinated, neutral), bent rows up to185x8, db rows, barbell shrugs up to 315x8, neutral grip pull downs 3x8.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 7:52am
Started the Juggernaut workout today with bench, of course. Five sets of ten (barf) at 160. Weight was light and reps were snappy but, holy crap fifty is a lot of reps. Followed with dumbell pullovers (I really dig these), decline (I dig this less), wide grip dips (I dig these the most). Then a wee bit of bi guns with drag curls and incline dumbbell curls. Twin peaks. Squat tomorrow. Gunna be light boring weight for too many reps much like today. I'm excited none the less. I need the high rep kick in the taint.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 8:07am
Dio de los squartos. 5x10@245. My stuff hurts. Too many reps. Encouragingly though, even when my body felt slow, the weight moved fast. Staying tight was key as I got to the later reps of each set. Pulling the bar down really f'n hard helps me a ton with this. I do it through the entire rep. No letting up in the hole or on the way up. Pulling the weight down seems counter intuitive, but boy hpwdy, does it keep my back and core tight. Noice. Followed up with RDLs 10,8,5@135,225,315. Nice stretch. Finished with calf raises 3x15. Tomorrow maybe a day off or maybe shoulders. Time will tell

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/14 at 8:25am
Should have taken the day off.   Got done with work at 6am and I went home and at a big ol' sammich. I then proceeded to get really sleepy. What better time to hit the gym, right? Wrong! The workout felt like balls. Push press 5x10@135. Blerg cardio. 3x8 strict press at 95. Superset seated and bent laterals. Face pulls. Feelings of weakness and sadness. I got a surprise email about a games the 18th in Minnesota yesterday. I thought my season was over, so I'm pretty excited for another chance to throw. Hopefully, I will get out today and/or tomorrow and slang some heavyish things.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 12:19am
Did some throwing today. Took some WOB pulls. They felt really good. No idea how high they went but they felt snappy and had the right arc, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice. I also threw the heavyweight (42) a few times. Focused on straight trig drive, which seemed to be the hot ticket. I was able to pretty much walk through my throw and still hit 38. I just have to figure out how to give it the beans and not get all leany and scratchy. I finished with open stone. That felt bad. Most throws were over 40, but my wrist and elbow both hurt.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 11:41am
Deadlift today. 5x10@275. I'm in terrible shape. My lungs burned like they haven't burned since I quit wrestling. I took jack3d for the first time in over a month. Mistake. Made my chest tight. Hard to breathe. Not cool man. On the bright side I'm super awake. I did some neutral grip lat pulls afterwards 3x10. I was going to try out some Pendlay rows, buuuuuuut I didn't. Maybe next week. I'm glad I'm done with the 5x10s. Not sure what next week is going to look like. I was in full post season lifting mode, but I might take next week off from the Juggernaut and just do some light stuff in preparation for Saturday's competition.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/14 at 5:33pm
Today's workout consisted of a few mile walk while small game hunting and a lot of glute work from a constant tight butthole for the last quarter of the Packer game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic